What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Firstly, I'd guess that a large parentage of shootings are where the victim had no idea it was coming and a surprise, so therefore unable to defend themselves, so having a gun would have been worthless.

Wonder how many people have been shot by those *not* caring guns versus those who *have* been carrying guns.

Therefore if you ban guns and no one had guns, why would I need one to defend myself.

Moral of the story. Ban guns.

Some one will always have one.......just as it is in the UK

This thread will go on forever, or at least until there is a better alternative to the Internet.

Things I think are wrong with America:

SarniaSaint

Too many f*cking guns

Portion sizes

Desserts for breakfast

The whole 'bigger is better' attitude to everything

Guns

Their self proclaimed 'World Police' status

EVERYTHING is exaggerated

Guns

Attitude towards policing and jailing as many people as possible

Baseball

'Football'

'Commercials'

Bastardising a perfectly good language

Guns

Think that about covers it

Anything right about America ?????...........tell me from your vast experience of actually living here.

No, that answer is not okay. It is the standard NRA response. Guns don't prevent violence - they just allow the 'good guys' to be violent back to the 'bad guys'. (By the NRA’s own definition, Roof would have been a good guy before killing members of the Emanuel church.)

Look, you may not like what follows but I don't think I'm alone in thinking this.

Many have wondered whether you're a troll or can possibly be serious. My view is it doesn't matter.

If you're a troll, you've decided to include in your giggly entertainment the huge upsurge in reckless murders of black people by law officers and white supremacist loonies of black people.

If you’re serious, you seem to revel in the deaths of black people at the hands of law officers, most of them wielding your fetishistic favourite, handguns.

You've had especial fun over the fact that Walter Scott was shot dead by cops for running from his car, and that Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams were shot dead by cops for NOT running from their car. In both cases, you've said, it was the black victims’ own stupid fault that they got themselves killed.

Therefore, either as a troll or as someone who imagines himself to be perfectly serious, you endorse the reckless killing of black people by cops and white supremacists. Not one word of the mildest criticism have you allowed to pass, or have you allowed yourself to utter.

That, in my view, makes you a racist scumbag, regardless of your feeble denials.

This may be just a small wing of a football forum, and you no doubt think it really doesn’t matter, but views like yours are nastily prevalent in the NRA, the KKK, the Tea Party and others. And I personally don’t want them even tangentially associated with this football club.

So please take this in the spirit it’s intended: go to hell.

Hey don't hold back...........just say how you really feel.........racist scumbag eh!!............you just don't like it when I answer back ...........so you can go to hell and stay away from the thread if I offend you so much.....bye

Anyone else think this is just Sarnia posting on an alternate username?

Glad to see thread still going but haven't got the will to scroll back to what Sarnia's take on the horrendous killings in Charlottesville.

I condemned it but the USA haters failed to recognize that so I am still the object of irrational froth at the mouth scorn :)

I think you misunderstand however what I am saying about the link between Washington and Rhodesia. You see, that's another myth. George Washington was until the day he died a brit. That essentially the problem the rhodesians and the US founding fathers both thought they were more British than britons themselves....when it turns out we're not actually a bunch of arse-wiping slave-owning quasi nazis....only the right wing politicians here mostly....either way, you're wrong, Washington lost more battles than he won. It was a confederation of european states that wore Britain down until it decided those 13 colonies were not worth it and as you know...buggered up north....seriously dont turn into a yank in think we were beaten and driven out of America because that's wrong.

That is true and the war of 1812 was won by the Canadians.

I condemned it but the USA haters failed to recognize that so I am still the object of irrational froth at the mouth scorn :)

Sarnia, there is a big difference between being against the gun laws in America and hating America. Many of the people on this thread have said they have been to the States and enjoyed the trips. The thread is about what is wrong with America. There is plenty wrong with the UK too and we accept that.

On a lighter note, a neighbour has just come back from the States and had a great time. There was one thing that hacked him off though. Times Square isn't a square, it is a triangle.

You have a problem. (Well you actually appear to have many problems as far as I can tell). There are no USA haters here - none at all. Dare I suggest, that there are actually lots of people who have, or would very much like to visit, holiday and sightsee in the USA. No haters.

What there are though, are lots of people who do hate (and rightly so), the ingrained obsession with ownership of guns, pistols and high powered weapons. Day after day, these weapons are either used disproportionately, indiscriminately or just downright dangerously, which inevitably leads to loss of life of innocent people (including children). That is the bit we hate - got it.

There also is no irrationality. Very strange that you should use that word - perhaps you would like to look up it's meaning. You will find that it probably only pertains to a single person on this thread.

No one here hates the USA, but they would like to know; What is wrong with America?

That is true and the war of 1812 was won by the Canadians.

Also not strictly true. They were beaten by members of militia raised by the colonial government of British North America (I've seen General Brock's statue. It was British soldiers who marched all the way down to Washington to offer an agreement but when one was not forthcoming and were fired at, burned the place down.

A friend of mine's ancestors were members of the Irish Foot brigade that WALKED...jesus, WALKED all the way from what is now Toronto to Washington DC (Jeez, it took me 10 hours by train!) to deliver that to them. We were all members of the British Empire back then (one of my ancestors was probably there too) so it's ok to get into this "They were Canadians eh?" lark but in the end, they were more likely a diverse range of English, Welsh, North American Loyalists and Irish...plus, probably some hired Germans.

I will say though, that in the UK, colour has been "color" much longer than it's ever had a U in it. Unfortunately, it was us that "bastardized" the English language in an effort to sound more French.

Sarnia, there is a big difference between being against the gun laws in America and hating America. Many of the people on this thread have said they have been to the States and enjoyed the trips. The thread is about what is wrong with America. There is plenty wrong with the UK too and we accept that.

On a lighter note, a neighbour has just come back from the States and had a great time. There was one thing that hacked him off though. Times Square isn't a square, it is a triangle.

OK a fair answer from you ..........but there are many that show their uuuuummm let me say bias against anything American.........."soccerball, baseball is crap and even eating dessert for breakfast"............I understand that you are all afraid of guns but it is a different mindset here and that applies to Canada as well as the USA.....

BTW Times Square is a tourist trap ..........don't go to NY City, Chicago or LA as a tourist.

You have a problem. (Well you actually appear to have many problems as far as I can tell). There are no USA haters here - none at all. Dare I suggest, that there are actually lots of people who have, or would very much like to visit, holiday and sightsee in the USA. No haters.

What there are though, are lots of people who do hate (and rightly so), the ingrained obsession with ownership of guns, pistols and high powered weapons. Day after day, these weapons are either used disproportionately, indiscriminately or just downright dangerously, which inevitably leads to loss of life of innocent people (including children). That is the bit we hate - got it.

There also is no irrationality. Very strange that you should use that word - perhaps you would like to look up it's meaning. You will find that it probably only pertains to a single person on this thread.

No one here hates the USA, but they would like to know; What is wrong with America?

The House of Representatives and Speaker ..........

you think I have a problem or problems????...........OK whatever

and as for irrational..........by your definition it means any one that don't agree with you (plural)

Also not strictly true. They were beaten by members of militia raised by the colonial government of British North America (I've seen General Brock's statue. It was British soldiers who marched all the way down to Washington to offer an agreement but when one was not forthcoming and were fired at, burned the place down.

A friend of mine's ancestors were members of the Irish Foot brigade that WALKED...jesus, WALKED all the way from what is now Toronto to Washington DC (Jeez, it took me 10 hours by train!) to deliver that to them. We were all members of the British Empire back then (one of my ancestors was probably there too) so it's ok to get into this "They were Canadians eh?" lark but in the end, they were more likely a diverse range of English, Welsh, North American Loyalists and Irish...plus, probably some hired Germans.

I will say though, that in the UK, colour has been "color" much longer than it's ever had a U in it. Unfortunately, it was us that "bastardized" the English language in an effort to sound more French.

Sorry I meant British North Americans and their Native Allies..........i.e. todays Canadians........that OK with you??

Sorry I meant British North Americans and their Native Allies..........i.e. todays Canadians........that OK with you??

It would be if people didn't keep on thinking of yesterday with today's eyes. Canada as a name existed yes and I suppose you could call them honorary Canadians since they were situated in the general area but they were very much British because if they weren't, then what would be the point of it all?

It would be if people didn't keep on thinking of yesterday with today's eyes. Canada as a name existed yes and I suppose you could call them honorary Canadians since they were situated in the general area but they were very much British because if they weren't, then what would be the point of it all?

Well British North America at the time (over 200 years ago since the War of 1812) was called Upper Canada (roughly todays Ontario) and Lower Canada ( Quebec and the Maritimes)..........only trappers had been further west.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make............

But back to the thread .............which was about what is wrong with America (btw America is just a lazy brit reference to the USA I live in America!!!) ............me I am so pleased I live here than back in the uk....far more problems there than here.........

Not really, it' might just that there haven't been any more shootings of innocent people reported in the overnight news, to prove our point.

But always a steady stream of gross injustice committed by authorities against black men in particular - so plenty for the fake 'Canuck' to enjoy:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/23/fbi-evidence-single-hair-kirk-odom

Well British North America at the time (over 200 years ago since the War of 1812) was called Upper Canada (roughly todays Ontario) and Lower Canada ( Quebec and the Maritimes)..........only trappers had been further west.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make............

But back to the thread .............which was about what is wrong with America (btw America is just a lazy brit reference to the USA I live in America!!!) ............me I am so pleased I live here than back in the uk....far more problems there than here.........

My point is that they did not break away from the "Patriots" because they wanted to be Canadian or Citizens of the United States now did they? They wanted to be British. My point was, ok, you can call them Canadian and upper and lower Canada existed as an identity but they fought because they wanted to be British and not whatever the Canadians think of themselves as today ok? got it. No disrespect to Canada but the country only officially stopped allowing the UK to amend or block laws passed down and repatriate them to Canada in '82.

Edited by Hockey_saint

Thats a cop out Ohio you know he is completely insane and untreatable unless the methods in One flew over the cuckoo's nest are still available

how can you be a canuck if you were born in England your insane.

WOW ...........so any one that has a different opinion to you is insane eh?!?!............(roll eyes thingy)

Sorry but the only delusional ones on this thread are peeps like you...........

and BTW gave up my brit passport when I became a Canadian Citizen so I am a Canuck ............

Now just FO back under the rock you crawled out from .......unless you want to continue......

But always a steady stream of gross injustice committed by authorities against black men in particular - so plenty for the fake 'Canuck' to enjoy:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/23/fbi-evidence-single-hair-kirk-odom

I aint a fake Canuck........got that boy............

just humor me and tell me your definition of 'fake Canuck'..........if you can .........too much for your brain then get help from some of the others

My point is that they did not break away from the "Patriots" because they wanted to be Canadian or Citizens of the United States now did they? They wanted to be British. My point was, ok, you can call them Canadian and upper and lower Canada existed as an identity but they fought because they wanted to be British and not whatever the Canadians think of themselves as today ok? got it. No disrespect to Canada but the country only officially stopped allowing the UK to amend or block laws passed down and repatriate them to Canada in '82.

With respect they did not want to be part of the 13 colonies that formed the original United States............now whether they wanted to remain british is subjective but remember there was a large british military presence in the Maritimes and Quebec

and FWIW all laws were passed under the British North America Act...........and don't forget the Canadian contribution to WW1 and WW2.

Those who live in America, or visit it, might do best to regard them the way one regards air pollution in China: an endemic local health hazard which, for deep-rooted cultural, social, economic and political reasons the country is incapable of addressing. This may, however, be a bit unfair. China seems to be making progress with air pollution.

Those who live in America, or visit it, might do best to regard them the way one regards air pollution in China: an endemic local health hazard which, for deep-rooted cultural, social, economic and political reasons the country is incapable of addressing. This may, however, be a bit unfair. China seems to be making progress with air pollution.

Who are THEM..........remember a Rock Band from the sixties........

I have sanity already ............so go on say I won the debate :)

WOW ...........so any one that has a different opinion to you is insane eh?!?!............(roll eyes thingy)

and BTW gave up my brit passport when I became a Canadian Citizen so I am a Canuck ............

Now just FO back under the rock you crawled out from .......unless you want to continue......

True the outrage does peak when the brit press picks up on something.

just humor me and tell me your definition of 'fake Canuck'..........if you can .........too much for your brain then get help from some of the others

Debate - you appear not to know the meaning of the word. You have totally ignored most of the facts, opinions and replies that people have taken the time present to you, in favour of pathetic childish retorts.

The fact that you are supposedly a 60 year old person gives a somewhat worrying perspective to the thread to be quite honest. People have contributed in good faith, giving reasoned opinion, citing events and quotes from people that have happened as the thread has unfolded and are consistent with the original question. In the main you have ignored them or made idiotic, unreasoned and unintelligible replies.

Personally, I actually think that most contributors have given up on you Sarnia, you know, they don't want to waste their time on you anymore. If you want to take that as if you have 'won' the debate, by all means do so - if it really gives you a sense of empowerment and achievement, that's good.

From my POV I now have a much better idea of 'What is wrong with America'? Having now discussed it with you for some time, it would appear to be a simple case of the short sighted, bigoted and somewhat uneducated view about the effects and ramifications of their current gun laws.

BTW - I noted that you didn't remark on the YT link above (http://youtu.be/M8hTfJ-oRvw) - did you watch it? Kids, you could learn something from them.

I have sanity already ............so go on say I won the debate :)

True the outrage does peak when the brit press picks up on something.

Debate - you appear not to know the meaning of the word. You have totally ignored most of the facts, opinions and replies that people have taken the time present to you, in favour of pathetic childish retorts.

The fact that you are supposedly a 60 year old person gives a somewhat worrying perspective to the thread to be quite honest. People have contributed in good faith, giving reasoned opinion, citing events and quotes from people that have happened as the thread has unfolded and are consistent with the original question. In the main you have ignored them or made idiotic, unreasoned and unintelligible replies.

Personally, I actually think that most contributors have given up on you Sarnia, you know, they don't want to waste their time on you anymore. If you want to take that as if you have 'won' the debate, by all means do so - if it really gives you a sense of empowerment and achievement, that's good.

From my POV I now have a much better idea of 'What is wrong with America'? Having now discussed it with you for some time, it would appear to be a simple case of the short sighted, bigoted and somewhat uneducated view about the effects and ramifications of their current gun laws.

BTW - I noted that you didn't remark on the YT link above (http://youtu.be/M8hTfJ-oRvw) - did you watch it? Kids, you could learn something from them.

With respect they did not want to be part of the 13 colonies that formed the original United States............now whether they wanted to remain british is subjective but remember there was a large british military presence in the Maritimes and Quebec

and FWIW all laws were passed under the British North America Act...........and don't forget the Canadian contribution to WW1 and WW2.

As did New Zealand, as did Australia, India, Burma, South Africa, Rhodesia (actually, man for man Rhodesia, as a percentage of the population contributed the most), Kenya, Nyasaland, The carribean countries and they all mostly realised they were members of the British Empire and felt British (which they were).

This does remind me of whenever you talk about history it has to have something to do with a North American event when, it might surprise you to know, that this continent was actually a small part of a global sphere of activity. I have no problem with you calling them Canadian and I am fully aware of the Irish/Patriot incursions into Canada by people like McKenzie but if they were against people like George Washington (a Minor royal himself....Game of Thrones surprisingly explains his family quite well....think of the Blackfires) then they were pro-Britain so in that respect, I and most other people would happily call them British subjects/citizens.

As did New Zealand, as did Australia, India, Burma, South Africa, Rhodesia (actually, man for man Rhodesia, as a percentage of the population contributed the most), Kenya, Nyasaland, The carribean countries and they all mostly realised they were members of the British Empire and felt British (which they were).

This does remind me of whenever you talk about history it has to have something to do with a North American event when, it might surprise you to know, that this continent was actually a small part of a global sphere of activity. I have no problem with you calling them Canadian and I am fully aware of the Irish/Patriot incursions into Canada by people like McKenzie but if they were against people like George Washington (a Minor royal himself....Game of Thrones surprisingly explains his family quite well....think of the Blackfires) then they were pro-Britain so in that respect, I and most other people would happily call them British subjects/citizens.

Hey .........good post.........I do know my history of the world and if I have only replied about North American events that`s what the thread is about ..........I know what Washington wanted as the flag and that didn`t come from watching a tv show.....in the end the English speaking people always come together for each other............

Debate - you appear not to know the meaning of the word. I do but am put down every time I say something You have totally ignored most of the facts, opinions and replies that people have taken the time present to you, I haven`t ignored any facts but when I try to put them in context to real life get shot down (verbally !!) in favour of pathetic childish retorts. see there you couldn't resist

The fact that you are supposedly a 60 year old person gives a somewhat worrying perspective to the thread to be quite honest. why ...just because I don't agree with you all People have contributed in good faith, giving reasoned opinion, I would dispute that there has been no good faith and stating opinion as fact citing events and quotes from people that have happened as the thread has unfolded and are consistent with the original question. In the main you have ignored them no I have not!! or made idiotic, unreasoned and unintelligible replies. in your opinion

Personally, I actually think that most contributors have given up on you Sarnia, you know, they don't want to waste their time on you anymore. if they had wanted a real debate not a agree with what we say response they are the real closed mind losers..... If you want to take that as if you have 'won' the debate, by all means do so - if it really gives you a sense of empowerment and achievement, that's good. WOW you really think I care if I won or lost...........don't care one way or the other........ but have to say that the exchanges with Hockey Saint have been good.

From my POV I now have a much better idea of 'What is wrong with America'? Having now discussed it with you for some time, it would appear to be a simple case of the short sighted, bigoted and somewhat uneducated view about the effects and ramifications of their current gun laws. couldn't resist another opinionated dig at me :D could you

BTW - I noted that you didn't remark on the YT link above (http://youtu.be/M8hTfJ-oRvw) - did you watch it? Yes ........but no comment from me on a vid that was obviously posted to get me to make a comment then crucify ISIS style :) Kids, you could learn something from them.

There answers Micky..........BTW don't post it twice next time.......wasting a post

I like it when SarniaSaint makes out he's the helpless victim, earnestly bringing facts forward and trying to have a debate in good faith but being thwarted by horrible people stating opinion as fact and shooting him down.

Now I could get the old quote button out and dig out a very brief (or incredibly long) selection of Sarnia's assorted drivel responses containing abuse, obfuscation, misinformation, avoidance of facts, general LOLing and so on.

But I won't. Let's just enjoy the helpless keeper of facts and "real life" SarniaSaint.

Maybe you people should stop picking on the delicate little flower. He, like, knows facts and everything.

From some of his 'debating' on here it seems that he knows the square root of f@@@ all.

Does anybody, other than sarnie, think he has 'won' ?

Sarnia has 'won' in the same way David Koresh 'won' the Waco siege.

Sadly, the similarities don't end there.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

LOL ..............COLOR is the right spelling .............here

It isn't, in Canadian English, the spelling is colour, same as the UK.

Aluminium is also spelt the same (but pronounced aluminum), centre is spelt the same as the UK (not center as in the US) but you have z's (pronounced zed in Canada) in place of s in words such as localisation etc.

A Canadian that doesn't even know their own language's spellings :mcinnes:

Bit of homework for you if you fancy it, Sarnia ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

I like it when SarniaSaint makes out he's the helpless victim, earnestly bringing facts forward and trying to have a debate in good faith but being thwarted by horrible people stating opinion as fact and shooting him down.

Now I could get the old quote button out and dig out a very brief (or incredibly long) selection of Sarnia's assorted drivel responses containing abuse, obfuscation, misinformation, avoidance of facts, general LOLing and so on.

But I won't. Let's just enjoy the helpless keeper of facts and "real life" SarniaSaint.

Maybe you people should stop picking on the delicate little flower. He, like, knows facts and everything.

Oh dear...........just another reply that is full of your dislike for any one that dares to have a different viewpoint to you...........

You don't like what I say ............that's OK because I don't care what you think of me..........so either try and have a real discussion or just STFU

signed ....Shrinking Violet

It isn't, in Canadian English, the spelling is colour, same as the UK.

Aluminium is also spelt the same (but pronounced aluminum), centre is spelt the same as the UK (not center as in the US) but you have z's (pronounced zed in Canada) in place of s in words such as localisation etc.

A Canadian that doesn't even know their own language's spellings :mcinnes:

Bit of homework for you if you fancy it, Sarnia ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

OK color can be spelt either way here

It is spelt aluminum just like it is said

center is spelt just like that here in Sarnia at least in industrial spellings

You are way too clever with your put downs ...:rolleyes:. but do your homework first :)

I live and work here and know these things

From some of his 'debating' on here it seems that he knows the square root of f@@@ all.

Does anybody, other than sarnie, think he has 'won' ?

:) well I do know more about living in North America than you will ever know...........don't judge by what you read in the brit media........

Further explanation/insults/ etc. required

Okay then, as you asked for it;

Delusional sense of own righteousness, wilful ignorance of wider society, arrogant repetition of beliefs without consideration of those of others, fearful of a society governed by shared mores rather than an individuals desires, and, to top it all, heavily pro-gun ownership.

Mostly though its the fear; the obvious and sickly fear you have of a world that doesn't share your opinions in general and those of your 'personal safety' in particular - the unease drips from almost every word you type. Although it may be harmless internet chatter you still manage to come across as a likely danger to yourself, though thankfully not to others. Ultimately, despite your posturing, you seem irrevocably, tragically, pathetic.

On this thread alone, you drowned in your own spittle a long time ago, metaphorically shot in the head by your own general of poor arguments and biased research; yet still you wish to claim some pyrrhic 'victory'.

You won, the enclave is burnt down, the siege is over, the children are dead - but hey, guns are still legal and you can whoop and dance in your own flame behind your keyboard for as long into the dark night as you like.

Or, if you prefer;

Nutjob Douchebag

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OK color can be spelt either way here

It is spelt aluminum just like it is said

center is spelt just like that here in Sarnia at least in industrial spellings

You are way too clever with your put downs ...:rolleyes:. but do your homework first :)

I live and work here and know these things

People can spell things how they want, I'm sure American spellings of words are even more prevalent in Canada than they are in the UK. But the official Canadian English used in universal signage and taught in schools all spell things how I just said, colour, centre, defence etc. and the pronunciation of z as zed (although the American zee is prevalent). Official Canadian English differs to English in that you spell tyre as tire and localisation as localization, there are a few other differences and Canadian English is more of amalgamation of English and American English.