What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Assuming that you are referring to American football again (:)): the game consists of 4 quarters; each quarter runs for 15 minutes, but the clock starts and stops at the beginning and end of each separate "play"; the referee signals by whistle the when the clock should run or stop. So, the actual amount of time that the ball is in play is 60 minutes. Half-time comes at the end of the first two quarters. The referee has to constantly delay the re-start of the action in a televised game, in order to allow the broadcast of a couple of ads. Each team can also call three "time-outs" during each half of the game. Time-outs are usually called so that the coach can discuss strategy for upcoming key plays, or to stall the momentum of the opposing team. The teams switch ends at the end of the first and third quarter.

I like the shots at the posts. That's the best bit. They take careful aim, line up their target in their yankee crosshairs, hit the egg thing really hard and it flies like a bullet.

I'm gunning for the colts this year. Should hit the opposition with a bang.

I like the shots at the posts. That's the best bit. They take careful aim, line up their target in their yankee crosshairs, hit the egg thing really hard and it flies like a bullet.

And then there's the shotgun formation!

Maybe it would be safer talking about beer rather than sport?

Yes lots have closed but that doesn't mean to say that there aren't any left. There are still plenty around. And Britain has changed hugely since 1975. The 70s wasn't great. 3 day weeks, crap fashions, the IRA bombings etc. But you know what, we are quite civilised now. And you don't have to worry about being shot by the police if you turn your back on them :)

Oh dear ......just watch this and tell me what you would do if you were the cop.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/watch/harrowing-police-confrontation-caught-on-video/vi-AAboJDr?ocid=DELLDHP

I know what I would have done.

Let's do sports. I'll start. Baseball is just over hyped rounders and American Football is the biggest pantomime going. Get that bloody padding off and play like real men. Tarts.

Nice try at trolling ...but you haven't got it right yet ..........2/10 for effort.

I don't get American football at all. Obviously that's my loss as there are millions who get a lot of enjoyment from it, but the average televised game lasts over three hours which consist of at least one hour of adverts and only 11 minutes with the ball actually in play. That seems mind numbing to me and is exactly how I've felt every time I've tried to watch it.

I just don't see how that can be compared to proper football where the ball is almost constantly in play and there is only one short break in the entire match.

Just shows how little you know........the ball is in play for 60 minutes..........read the rules .........you can read EH

Oh dear ......just watch this and tell me what you would do if you were the cop.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/watch/harrowing-police-confrontation-caught-on-video/vi-AAboJDr?ocid=DELLDHP

Maybe what he actually did? Used police training to apprehend the suspect without resorting to lethal force? Good on the cop on this occasion.

And just so you know SS, "charging toward cop" is not equivalent to "running / stumbling away from cop"

Just shows how little you know........the ball is in play for 60 minutes..........read the rules .........you can read EH

It may technically be 'in play' but it isn't necessarily doing anything. For instance "Whenever a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, the game clock is started when an official spots the ball at the inbounds spot, and the Referee gives the signal to start the game clock", ( Rule 4, article 2 ). The attacking team then gets the 40 second play clock to control, so for upwards of 30 seconds the ball can sit under the Centre's hand and not moving. Plus, if the QB decides to 'take a knee' that will automatically take another 30 seconds of time off the game clock. ( In theory a team can run out 2 minutes of game time by making this play for 3 successive downs ).

Also, the game clock does not stop after a rushing play that finishes inbounds, again allowing the play clock to eat into the nominal 60 minutes of playing time.

( You have read the rules ? ).

You've got a bit mixed up there. The game lasts for 60 minutes. For actual time the ball is in play, it averages at about 11 minutes. Have a google right now of "time the ball is in play in American football". You'll clearly be surprised. It's not an attack on the sport, so you don't need to get unpleasant and over-defensive. I think if I am unable to enjoy a sport others enjoy, it's pretty clearly me who's missing out on something.

Wall Street Journal:

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

Here's a useful pie chart:

i3OtXsk.png

Other sources:

http://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2012/02/05/not-so-super-sunday-eleven-minutes-of-actual-playing-time/

Like I said. I don't have a problem with the sport and as for dull, well I enjoy watching cricket ffs, I just find that stat something that makes it hard to compare it to actual football.

Yes, you would have shot him! This clip shows that it is not necessary and that people can be arrested without blowing holes in them. The point we were making before was about shooting unarmed people running away or not posing a threat to the life of the officer. The example previously has led to the officer being charged with murder.

You really are more than a little dim aren't you? All that video does is totally reinforce everybody's opinion on here other than your own. Have a think about it for a moment. :mcinnes:

Maybe it would be safer talking about beer rather than sport?

You are probably right C_l.

I am sure you'll enjoy the south Western Arms on Saturday if you are still up for it.

I'm sure they will stock at least two real ales that trigger the pleasure receptors.

The bar staff are good there too.

I'll get the barman to show you his pump action and give you a taste of both barrels.

And please stop posting pictures of me;)

I am sure you'll enjoy the south Western Arms on Saturday if you are still up for it.

I'm sure they will stock at least two real ales that trigger the pleasure receptors.

I'll get the barman to show you his pump action and give you a taste of both barrels.

Oh Goatboy. :)

Am still definitely up for drinks....though there is a small chance I might bail altogether (game + drinks) as not 100% this week...

It may technically be 'in play' but it isn't necessarily doing anything. For instance "Whenever a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, the game clock is started when an official spots the ball at the inbounds spot, and the Referee gives the signal to start the game clock", ( Rule 4, article 2 ). The attacking team then gets the 40 second play clock to control, so for upwards of 30 seconds the ball can sit under the Centre's hand and not moving. Plus, if the QB decides to 'take a knee' that will automatically take another 30 seconds of time off the game clock. ( In theory a team can run out 2 minutes of game time by making this play for 3 successive downs ).

Also, the game clock does not stop after a rushing play that finishes inbounds, again allowing the play clock to eat into the nominal 60 minutes of playing time.

( You have read the rules ? ).

That is part of the game........next you will be saying that the time taken for throw-ins, corners and free kicks (in soccer :)) is added on to the game........:rolleyes:

Yes, you would have shot him! This clip shows that it is not necessary and that people can be arrested without blowing holes in them. The point we were making before was about shooting unarmed people running away or not posing a threat to the life of the officer. The example previously has led to the officer being charged with murder.

How do you know they are unarmed ? answer that question ..........if you can......await your brit wimp reply..........and the first bit YES.

You really are more than a little dim aren't you? All that video does is totally reinforce everybody's opinion on here other than your own. Have a think about it for a moment. :mcinnes:

How does that reinforce anything??? go on tell me .......what you don't see are the other cops behind him :mcinnes:

That is a pic of me!!! :)

In a Florida State University classroom, they were discussing the qualifications to be President of the United States .

It was pretty simple. The candidate must be a natural born citizen of at least 35 years of age.

However, one girl in the class immediately started in on how unfair was the requirement to be a natural born citizen.

In short, her opinion was that this requirement prevented many capable individuals from becoming president. The class

was taking it in and letting her rant, and not many jaws hit the floor when she wrapped up her argument by stating

“What makes a natural born citizen any more qualified to lead this country than one born by C-section?”

Yep, these are the same kinds of 18-year-olds that are now voting in elections! :mcinnes:

That is part of the game........next you will be saying that the time taken for throw-ins, corners and free kicks (in soccer :)) is added on to the game........:rolleyes:

But I thought you said disagreed with the original comment that the ball was only in play for 11 minutes ? Now you agree its just part of the game ?

How do you know they are unarmed ? answer that question ..........if you can......await your brit wimp reply..........and the first bit YES.

Probably the fact that they are not displaying any weapons is a bit of a give away. As for your constant put downs of Brits. You are a Brit are you not?

How does that reinforce anything??? go on tell me .......what you don't see are the other cops behind him :mcinnes:

Just for you I'm going to type this really slowly.

Thread initiated as man shot in back 8 time trying to run from police, something that you appear to support.

Your latest video - man running / walking menacingly towards police officer who has gun drawn, man arrested without a shot being fired.

Think hard.

In a Florida State University classroom, they were discussing the qualifications to be President of the United States .

It was pretty simple. The candidate must be a natural born citizen of at least 35 years of age.

However, one girl in the class immediately started in on how unfair was the requirement to be a natural born citizen.

In short, her opinion was that this requirement prevented many capable individuals from becoming president. The class

was taking it in and letting her rant, and not many jaws hit the floor when she wrapped up her argument by stating

“What makes a natural born citizen any more qualified to lead this country than one born by C-section?”

Yep, these are the same kinds of 18-year-olds that are now voting in elections! :mcinnes:

You guys got an election coming up ..........loads of peeps like that eligible to vote in the UK :mcinnes:

But I thought you said disagreed with the original comment that the ball was only in play for 11 minutes ? Now you agree its just part of the game ?

You are obviously another "know it all but know f.ck all" brit ...........if you don't understand the NFL just keep your mouth shut.