What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Answers above

So anyone that runs should be shot then ? Even if the arrest is just for, say, a speeding ticket ? Do you not find that slightly harsh ?

As for the threat, where is it coming from ? How does the officer percieve a high enough threat to fire when the civilian is running away ? And so surely must pose a minimal threat ?

A pub.

Actually, that is what is REALLY wrong with America. No pubs!!!

I often get asked what is the difference between a pub and a bar. It's vexed me for so long that all I can really say is "A bar serves drinks to people that want a drink, while a pub serves drinks to people that want a drink, but bars are crap and pubs are great. "

Then I walk away mumbling something about atmosphere.

I often get asked what is the difference between a pub and a bar. It's vexed me for so long that all I can really say is "A bar serves drinks to people that want a drink, while a pub serves drinks to people that want a drink, but bars are crap and pubs are great. "

A bar serves drinks. A pub is an extension of your living room. Simple.

Are you an expat, Ohio?

So anyone that runs should be shot then ? Even if the arrest is just for, say, a speeding ticket ? Do you not find that slightly harsh ?

As for the threat, where is it coming from ? How does the officer percieve a high enough threat to fire when the civilian is running away ? And so surely must pose a minimal threat ?

I guess my reply went whooooooosh or straight thru from one ear to other ......no brain to stop it

No pubs left in the UK ........

Not a real ale person then? Disappointing.

Of course! Though recent habit of shandying it up mid-week seems to cause utter contempt and disgust wherever I go. Men seem to have real issues ordering a real ale shandy at the bar. But consider it fine to order a Fosters. Bizarre.

Hey Sarnia! In an attempt to talk about something other than guns, how about we discuss the other things 'wrong' with America? Pick any of the following topics, then we can debate mindlessly over the next six months. Your choice!

1. Beer

2. Philly steak sandwiches (or more generally, large portions of too much protein)

3. Tourists with loud voices

4. Car centric cities

5. Sports

Hey Sarnia! In an attempt to talk about something other than guns, how about we discuss the other things 'wrong' with America? Pick any of the following topics, then we can debate mindlessly over the next six months. Your choice!

1. Beer Nothing wrong with it ....and there are loads of micro-breweries

2. Philly steak sandwiches (or more generally, large portions of too much protein) A Real Philly Steak Sandwich is Great

3. Tourists with loud voices Don't get many Brit tourists here

4. Car centric cities I don't live in a big city pop is only 73000 but the area is larger than Southampton

5. Sports Nothing wrong with the sports I love MLB and the NFL and College Football is Great

there !!! oh btw TY some were getting way over the top at me

What is "real ale" I am genuinely interested to know..........that the same as a micro-brewery??

Yes, more or less. Although I guess micro brewery just means small scale, but I think when most people use the term in the States they mean ales or stouts.

Whereas as over here, the most popular ales are produced by large scale breweries with recipes honed over many years. Micro breweries here seem to be more popular recently, with pubs often experimenting with different variants.

My experience of micro breweries in the States has been a less sophisticated beer, I have to say. And sometimes, plain horrible!

Yes, more or less. Although I guess micro brewery just means small scale, but I think when most people use the term in the States they mean ales or stouts.

Whereas as over here, the most popular ales are produced by large scale breweries with recipes honed over many years. Micro breweries here seem to be more popular recently, with pubs often experimenting with different variants.

My experience of micro breweries in the States has been a less sophisticated beer, I have to say. And sometimes, plain horrible!

Lou some are terrible!!!.......the best IMO is Sam Adams but is almost mainstream now ........there's one I gotta try from Kennebunkport....I will be in Maine in June can get in the grocery store.

There is a great micro-brewery in Grand Rapids Michigan.....really great beer.

Edited by SarniaSaint

There are two differences

1, Real ale is live - ie it has not been pasteurised (heat treated) to kill off the yeast and any bugs.

2. It is not artificially gassed up with Co2 in a pressurised keg.

It's like the difference between raw milk and long life.

There are two differences

1, Real ale is live - ie it has not been pasteurised (heat treated) to kill off the yeast and any bugs.

2. It is not artificially gassed up with Co2 in a pressurised keg.

It's like the difference between raw milk and long life.

TY .........it is dangerous to drink raw milk i.e. unpasteurized can get meningiteous (ok spelling) yhere were 2 kids died on a dairy farm in Sarnia drinking raw milk about 15 years ago........but draft beer here is un-pasteurized.

1975 if you want to know..........and even you must acknowledge that a load of pubs have gone.

Yes lots have closed but that doesn't mean to say that there aren't any left. There are still plenty around. And Britain has changed hugely since 1975. The 70s wasn't great. 3 day weeks, crap fashions, the IRA bombings etc. But you know what, we are quite civilised now. And you don't have to worry about being shot by the police if you turn your back on them :)

1. Beer

2. Philly steak sandwiches (or more generally, large portions of too much protein)

3. Tourists with loud voices

4. Car centric cities

5. Sports

Let's do sports. I'll start. Baseball is just over hyped rounders and American Football is the biggest pantomime going. Get that bloody padding off and play like real men. Tarts.

I don't get American football at all. Obviously that's my loss as there are millions who get a lot of enjoyment from it, but the average televised game lasts over three hours which consist of at least one hour of adverts and only 11 minutes with the ball actually in play. That seems mind numbing to me and is exactly how I've felt every time I've tried to watch it.

I just don't see how that can be compared to proper football where the ball is almost constantly in play and there is only one short break in the entire match.

I don't get American football at all. Obviously that's my loss as there are millions who get a lot of enjoyment from it, but the average televised game lasts over three hours which consist of at least one hour of adverts and only 11 minutes with the ball actually in play. That seems mind numbing to me and is exactly how I've felt every time I've tried to watch it.

I just don't see how that can be compared to proper football where the ball is almost constantly in play and there is only one short break in the entire match.

You should watch something that's more suited to your attention span. The 100m is over pretty quick, no ads in the middle and even has a gun at the start.

How long are the balls in play?

Assuming that you are referring to American football again (:)): the game consists of 4 quarters; each quarter runs for 15 minutes, but the clock starts and stops at the beginning and end of each separate "play"; the referee signals by whistle the when the clock should run or stop. So, the actual amount of time that the ball is in play is 60 minutes. Half-time comes at the end of the first two quarters. The referee has to constantly delay the re-start of the action in a televised game, in order to allow the broadcast of a couple of ads. Each team can also call three "time-outs" during each half of the game. Time-outs are usually called so that the coach can discuss strategy for upcoming key plays, or to stall the momentum of the opposing team. The teams switch ends at the end of the first and third quarter.