What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Don't put words or ideas in my mouth.

I do protect myself: I live in a safe neighbourhood; I lock my doors; I stay out of trouble; I obey the law; and I keep guns out of the house.

;)

Hey I live in a border city and neighborhoods are safe and stay out of trouble and obey the law ..........last bit nah ...........so not much different .....

You can roll your eyes as much as you want. You backed up your argument with CB Fry by making the point that he was a subject, not a citizen. When I provided evidence that your point was incorrect, you said that you didn't care.

It's hard debating with someone whose thoughts lack consistency or logic. Sorry.

:rolleyes:

Well excuse me ..........I thought I was consistent thruout .........sorry if my logic don't match yours

Well excuse me ..........I thought I was consistent thruout .........sorry if my logic don't match yours

Well, how can you be consistent (or sincere), if you argue your point, but then respond to an opposing view by saying you don't care?

If you really don't care, why bother in the first place?

:?

I don't think so........but that's my opinion ...........yours is obviously the opposite.........and what the f**k does law abiding citizens mean ........youre a subject of the british crown not a citizen........

You don't think restrictions on guns would limit your ability to protect yourself?

You do understand what "restrictions on guns" means, right? It means you are restricted from having guns.

Edited by CB Fry

Lou I did read that but cant understand what point you are trying to make.........

Shock, that people can get more outraged by the police killing a dog, than a human being.

I love American, don't get more wrong. I'd move there is a flash if the opportunity came up. Title of this thread is daft.

But God, if you get down on your luck, whether financially, mentally, whatever, or you mess up for whatever reason, you are basically screwed. There is a basic disregard for human life in all these police shooting stories, that coming from a so-called Christian country, is pretty damn shocking.

Secondly, Sarnia, don't quite understand your objection to the phrase "law abiding citizen" as it doesn't take long to find fine chaps like GWB and RR using them:

BUSH: Law-abiding citizens ought to be allowed to protect their families.

BUSH: I believe law-abiding citizens ought to be able to own a gun.

REAGAN: You won't get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens.

Would you say "what the fu ck does that mean" to two ex-Presidents use of the phrase "law abiding citizens"?

Personally I think both of those Presidents would agree with the idea that "restrictions on guns only limit law abiding citizens from protecting themselves" but you "don't think so". Strange.

Edited by CB Fry

Putting aside the silly ramblings, I was cheered by the further opportunity for law-abiding self-defence presented by this advert on the page

redknife__25792.1398490980.1280.1280-300x214.png

The old credit card knife. A constituttional right. **** the mooslim loving liberals etc....

Secondly, Sarnia, don't quite understand your objection to the phrase "law abiding citizen" as it doesn't take long to find fine chaps like GWB and RR using them:

BUSH: Law-abiding citizens ought to be allowed to protect their families.

BUSH: I believe law-abiding citizens ought to be able to own a gun.

REAGAN: You won't get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens.

Would you say "what the fu ck does that mean" to two ex-Presidents use of the phrase "law abiding citizens"?

Personally I think both of those Presidents would agree with the idea that "restrictions on guns only limit law abiding citizens from protecting themselves" but you "don't think so". Strange.

Ok I now know you are slow at understanding

#1 I never objected the phrase "law abiding citizen" if you think I did show me where ...........you cant

#2 I agree with that statement so once again show me where I disagreed.......you cant

So I can only conclude that you have no idea what your talking about.....that goes for other threads BTW

Shock, that people can get more outraged by the police killing a dog, than a human being.

I love American, don't get more wrong. I'd move there is a flash if the opportunity came up. Title of this thread is daft.

But God, if you get down on your luck, whether financially, mentally, whatever, or you mess up for whatever reason, you are basically screwed. There is a basic disregard for human life in all these police shooting stories, that coming from a so-called Christian country, is pretty damn shocking.

Lou what you are seeing in the media is the scraping of the barrel for news .........before Ferguson there was none of this in the news ........I know someone from St Louis and it was blown out of proportion by outside trouble makers..........pleased that you would move to North America in a flash

Well, how can you be consistent (or sincere), if you argue your point, but then respond to an opposing view by saying you don't care?

If you really don't care, why bother in the first place?

:?

What opposing point would that be??........if you really think I don't care......:)

Well, since you asked, though I'm really not sure why I'm doing this...

Would restrictions on guns limit law abiding citizens from protecting themselves?

I don't think so........but that's my opinion ...........yours is obviously the opposite.........and what the f**k does law abiding citizens mean ........youre a subject of the british crown not a citizen........

You don't think restrictions on guns would limit your ability to protect yourself?

You do understand what "restrictions on guns" means, right? It means you are restricted from having guns.

I agree with that statement so once again show me where I disagreed.......you cant

So I can only conclude that you have no idea what your talking about.....that goes for other threads BTW

I was saying that you don't impose restrictions ..........you brits have speak English the right way :)

You disagreed with a statement about gun control; you then said you agreed with said statement, and challenged CB Fry to show where you disagreed with it. Nothing to do with how anyone speaks English, though quite a bit to do with how you understand it (or fail to understand it). You've contradicted yourself, though I think we all know where you actually stand on the matter. However, your ability to read something, say you don't agree with it, then claim you've never disagreed with it, scarcely does you any favours. CB Fry's initial question that I posted above is perfectly clear, though it does seem to have given you some comprehension problems.

:nod::thumbup::nod:

#1 I never objected the phrase "law abiding citizen" if you think I did show me where ...........you cant

#2 I agree with that statement so once again show me where I disagreed.......you cant

The phrase "what the fu ck does that mean" suggested to mean you had never encountered the phrase "law abiding citizens" before. Otherwise why are you asking me what "the fu ck" it means?

I just helped you understanding by showing it to be a phrase that Republican Presidents have used - Bush and Ronnie know "what the fu ck" it "means".

So, are you now saying you DO understand "what the f uck" the phrase "law abiding citizen" means? Jolly good.

I'll come back with your continual struggle to work out whether you agree or disagree with one simple statement in a separate post.

Edited by CB Fry

I was saying that you don't impose restrictions ..........you brits have speak English the right way :)

Help a poor old Brit out, then, by answering this question with a straight yes or no. We're all getting mixed messages from you. (Driven by you saying "I don't think so" one day and "I agree with the statement" the next day.)

So

Would restrictions on guns limit law abiding citizens from protecting themselves?

Yes, or no?

I've had three opportunities to go to the US on a more or less permanent basis. Rejected them all, and while I'd never say never, it'd take one sweet fúcking package to convince me that it is worth it. I love the visits, and the occasional opportunity to enjoy infectious optimism and excellent food. Full time? Nah.

There are a couple of things that have always held me back. First, the kids were always at the wrong age, and still are, really. Even though we've got the second most expensive higher education in the world, my girls can go to elite institutions here if they apply themselves. They can only really do that in the US if I can find £50K a year tuition (estimate). Of course, the Conservatives are trying their best to stop oiks like me from sending my sprogs to the palaces of the mighty, but for right now, the UK offers a far better deal than I could get over there.

The other issue isn't really to do with the US itself, more the way that immigration rules work. Most visas I'd ever travel under would tie me to a specific employer, fundamentally changing what is presently a mutually beneficial and equal arrangement, into something where my employer would exercise a great deal more control. I've always liked the "security" of competence, the notion that if things ever got too fraught, I could just go work somewhere else. It's not an option I've had to use often, but as I say, it's comforting - and gone under most working visas.

The old maxim "not a good place to get sick or old" also hit me on my very first visit out in '98, when relocation was already being mooted. Probably didn't help that I was in Southern California at the time, a place that is pretty alien to most Brits, but you can't help imagining what sort of life you might have if you were ever unable to drive yourself about, either through age, sickness or injury.

I've got a few mates who've gone over on three year contracts, which would seem the sensible way to go - and definitely something I'd consider once the girls have left home. Forever is a long time, which is why I always laugh when the US Immigration peeps treat you like a savage that has just seen its first glimpses of civilisation, clearly looking to stay. I feel like kissing the ground every time I get back to England. I don't, of course, because it's Manchester (adopted prejudice FTW!), but still....

You disagreed with a statement about gun control; you then said you agreed with said statement, and challenged CB Fry to show where you disagreed with it. Nothing to do with how anyone speaks English, though quite a bit to do with how you understand it (or fail to understand it). You've contradicted yourself, though I think we all know where you actually stand on the matter. However, your ability to read something, say you don't agree with it, then claim you've never disagreed with it, scarcely does you any favours. CB Fry's initial question that I posted above is perfectly clear, though it does seem to have given you some comprehension problems.

OK as long as you understand where I stand.....so pleased you got that right :)

Help a poor old Brit out, then, by answering this question with a straight yes or no. We're all getting mixed messages from you. (Driven by you saying "I don't think so" one day and "I agree with the statement" the next day.)

So

Yes, or no?

YES IT F*CK*NG WOULD .........so guess that's a YES to your question .........you have to use whatever to protect yourself.........try and twist that around......I know you will try :).......waiting !!!

I've had three opportunities to go to the US on a more or less permanent basis. Rejected them all, and while I'd never say never, it'd take one sweet fúcking package to convince me that it is worth it. I love the visits, and the occasional opportunity to enjoy infectious optimism and excellent food. Full time? Nah.

There are a couple of things that have always held me back. First, the kids were always at the wrong age, and still are, really. Even though we've got the second most expensive higher education in the world, my girls can go to elite institutions here if they apply themselves. They can only really do that in the US if I can find £50K a year tuition (estimate). Of course, the Conservatives are trying their best to stop oiks like me from sending my sprogs to the palaces of the mighty, but for right now, the UK offers a far better deal than I could get over there.

The other issue isn't really to do with the US itself, more the way that immigration rules work. Most visas I'd ever travel under would tie me to a specific employer, fundamentally changing what is presently a mutually beneficial and equal arrangement, into something where my employer would exercise a great deal more control. I've always liked the "security" of competence, the notion that if things ever got too fraught, I could just go work somewhere else. It's not an option I've had to use often, but as I say, it's comforting - and gone under most working visas.

The old maxim "not a good place to get sick or old" also hit me on my very first visit out in '98, when relocation was already being mooted. Probably didn't help that I was in Southern California at the time, a place that is pretty alien to most Brits, but you can't help imagining what sort of life you might have if you were ever unable to drive yourself about, either through age, sickness or injury.

I've got a few mates who've gone over on three year contracts, which would seem the sensible way to go - and definitely something I'd consider once the girls have left home. Forever is a long time, which is why I always laugh when the US Immigration peeps treat you like a savage that has just seen its first glimpses of civilisation, clearly looking to stay. I feel like kissing the ground every time I get back to England. I don't, of course, because it's Manchester (adopted prejudice FTW!), but still....

Finally a good reply from you.....as I have already said have lived here for 40 years so my view is different from you guys........

YES IT F*CK*NG WOULD .........so guess that's a YES to your question .........you have to use whatever to protect yourself.........try and twist that around......I know you will try :).......waiting !!!

Okay, so that's a yes. Clear.

Do you agree with the following phrase:

"Idiot Liberals don't understand that criminals don't follow laws and they get guns anyway".

Yes (you agree that criminals get guns anyway, and liberals don't understand this)

or

No (you think the phrase is absolute crap)?

Let's see if we can do this one in a day, shall we?

Meanwhile, in Pennsylvania a man brought a concealed, loaded pistol to Easter Sunday Mass. The safety catch was off and the gun was accidentally discharged - the bullet then grazing a congregant.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/gun-fires-accidentally-during-easter-mass-and-bullet-grazes-member-of-congregation-10158461.html

Gotta be careful with all those crazed Catholics in the Cathedral praying to the Prince of Peace.

Okay, so that's a yes. Clear.

Do you agree with the following phrase:

"Idiot Liberals don't understand that criminals don't follow laws and they get guns anyway".

Yes (you agree that criminals get guns anyway, and liberals don't understand this)

or

No (you think the phrase is absolute crap)?

Let's see if we can do this one in a day, shall we?

MMMM.........I don't know what the f**k what you asked has to do with the debate??? .........oh I get it just a try to get me to answer so you can twist it any way you want .........

Hey I answered your question and you have ignored the answer .........let it try and get inside your brain must be loadsa empty space in there :)

Meanwhile, in Pennsylvania a man brought a concealed, loaded pistol to Easter Sunday Mass. The safety catch was off and the gun was accidentally discharged - the bullet then grazing a congregant.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/gun-fires-accidentally-during-easter-mass-and-bullet-grazes-member-of-congregation-10158461.html

Gotta be careful with all those crazed Catholics in the Cathedral praying to the Prince of Peace.

MMMMMMMMM you got to get out of the GTA and see the real world :) just cant understand why you are siding with these brit no nothings........

Edited by SarniaSaint

MMMM.........I don't know what the f**k what you asked has to do with the debate??? .........oh I get it just a try to get me to answer so you can twist it any way you want .........

Hey I answered your question and you have ignored the answer .........let it try and get inside your brain must be loadsa empty space in there :)

On this thread you've rambled on (completely wrongly) about British people being subjects not citizens and rambled on (again completely wrongly) about me saying something about to you about the Queen. So let's not pretend you "stick to the subject" of the debate.

Anyway, I haven't ignored your previous answer, just pleased that you have settled on an answer after several goes at agreeing/disagreeing with one simple statement. Well done.

So, anyway, do you agree with the idea that "criminals get guns anyway" regardless of whether they guns are banned/heavily regulated?

Personally I think gun control would overall reduce crime. Do you agree, or think I'm an idiot to think that?

I think these questions are germane to the debate. Yes or no?

Lets face facts here SarnieSaint (one short of a picnic) will never agree that gun control will reduce the ability of the Americans (of which he is not ) to stop killing themselves with them. If as he claims is originally an English person having left those shores 40 years ago, he would have a better basic commmand of the written language than he has shown in these long drawn out bickerings.

Other Canadians be it Ex-pat brit or Nationals obviously do not agree with him. So the question has to be asked as to why he has not moved South.

Before he come's back and says I now nothing about The US of A I have lived there and worked in areas from the North East to the Deep South and a hell of a lot of places in between.

It was there I found out that the Beverly Hill Billies was the first reality TV show.

I presume you mean know-nothings?

By the way, Hamilton isn't in the GTA.

Nice try, though.

Sorry for the spelling once again .......so if the Steel City aint in the GTA its part of The Golden Horseshoe......means the same thing in the rest of the province

On this thread you've rambled on (completely wrongly) about British people being subjects not citizens and rambled on (again completely wrongly) about me saying something about to you about the Queen. So let's not pretend you "stick to the subject" of the debate.

Anyway, I haven't ignored your previous answer, just pleased that you have settled on an answer after several goes at agreeing/disagreeing with one simple statement. Well done.

So, anyway, do you agree with the idea that "criminals get guns anyway" regardless of whether they guns are banned/heavily regulated?

Personally I think gun control would overall reduce crime. Do you agree, or think I'm an idiot to think that?

I think these questions are germane to the debate. Yes or no?

Criminals get guns any way .....yes

Does not reduce crime .......my answer OK

I don't think gun control is the answer.........OK ........Not sure if you are an idiot or not...........but you are a patronizing c**t

Edited by SarniaSaint

Lets face facts here SarnieSaint (one short of a picnic) will never agree that gun control will reduce the ability of the Americans (of which he is not ) to stop killing themselves with them. If as he claims is originally an English person having left those shores 40 years ago, he would have a better basic commmand of the written language than he has shown in these long drawn out bickerings.

Other Canadians be it Ex-pat brit or Nationals obviously do not agree with him. So the question has to be asked as to why he has not moved South.

Before he come's back and says I now nothing about The US of A I have lived there and worked in areas from the North East to the Deep South and a hell of a lot of places in between.

It was there I found out that the Beverly Hill Billies was the first reality TV show.

#1 -sorry (not really) that you think I have no command of the English language....

#2 - so 1 ex-pat ......where are the nationals eh???

#3 - you must be really pleased that the hillbillies didn't shoot your ass :lol: