What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Some of the above images and videos illustrate why I ask the question about where America will be in a century.

It's not that violence doesn't exist in other countries, but the US seems to amplify problems that occur infrequently in other parts of the world. The police shootings stat is a good example. The video backs up a point I made earlier in the thread and that Sarnia took great exception to. 60% of Americans say they would feel safer by owning a handgun. These guns can only be used within the US, so presumably it is other residents that make them feel unsafe.

The demographic changes, both in proportions of various ethnic groups, and their distribution, is interesting. Many black families that moved North to escape the oppression of the South back in the day, are now returning to the Southern states. Places like Charlotte and Atlanta are what the Americans called "majority minority", a rather Orwellian way of saying white people are outnumbered. The population is hugely mobile in comparison to other countries, and travel much greater distances to live and work. People think little of moving a few thousand miles away.

The US is a country without a great deal of recorded history to draw from, comprised mostly of immigrant stock, a process which continues unabated, both legally and illegally, to this day. People continue to receive wildly uneven treatment on the basis of their race. What are the ties that bind? Are they going to be enough to keep this fractured nation together over the long term?

Your "America is superior and you're all no-nothing helpless subjects of a monach" attitude is much better. Especially as a English born person living in Canada. Must make you feel so wonderful.

Yeah it does .......and like you say English born and a Canadian and proud ......so whats your point??? at least you have found out that british monarchy don't own Canada.....you've been educated .

http://abc7news.com/news/machete-wielding-man-shot-at-new-orleans-airport/567316/

The entirely British phenomenon of nutcases with knives has finally, finally arrived in the US. Of course, the police shot him with the much less harmful "gun" thing.

get the full facts before you start making a pathetic joke..........you really are one of lifes losers

Some of the above images and videos illustrate why I ask the question about where America will be in a century.

It's not that violence doesn't exist in other countries, but the US seems to amplify problems that occur infrequently in other parts of the world. The police shootings stat is a good example. The video backs up a point I made earlier in the thread and that Sarnia took great exception to. 60% of Americans say they would feel safer by owning a handgun. These guns can only be used within the US, so presumably it is other residents that make them feel unsafe.

The demographic changes, both in proportions of various ethnic groups, and their distribution, is interesting. Many black families that moved North to escape the oppression of the South back in the day, are now returning to the Southern states. Places like Charlotte and Atlanta are what the Americans called "majority minority", a rather Orwellian way of saying white people are outnumbered. The population is hugely mobile in comparison to other countries, and travel much greater distances to live and work. People think little of moving a few thousand miles away.

The US is a country without a great deal of recorded history to draw from, comprised mostly of immigrant stock, a process which continues unabated, both legally and illegally, to this day. People continue to receive wildly uneven treatment on the basis of their race. What are the ties that bind? Are they going to be enough to keep this fractured nation together over the long term?

The real question is where will the world be in a century.......I wont be here and neither will you........tell you one thing neither will the british royals either.

The real question is where will the world be in a century.......I wont be here and neither will you........tell you one thing neither will the british royals either.

That's an interesting question too. Based on current projections, a race to the bottom and securing vital resources? It certainly seems to be the way of things at the moment.

This Counterpunch article suggests economic reasons for US involvement in Eastern Europe, stating that the US is trying to position itself as gatekeeper between nations that would otherwise be economically co-operating, enjoying a good deal of integration.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/03/18/washingtons-war-on-russia/

“The primordial interest of the United States, over which for centuries we have fought wars–the First, the Second and Cold Wars–has been the relationship between Germany and Russia, because united there, they’re the only force that could threaten us. And to make sure that that doesn’t happen.” … George Friedman at The Chicago Council on Foreign Affairs, Time 1:40 to 1:57)

Bingo. Ukraine has nothing to do with sovereignty, democracy or (alleged) Russian aggression. That’s all propaganda. It’s about power. It’s about imperial expansion. It’s about spheres of influence. It’s about staving off irreversible economic decline. It’s all part of the smash-mouth, scorched earth, take-no-prisoners geopolitical world in which we live, not the fake Disneyworld created by the western media. The US State Department and CIA toppled the elected-government in Ukraine and ordered the new junta regime to launch a desperate war of annihilation against its own people in the East, because, well, because they felt they had no other option. Had Putin’s ambitious plan to create a free trade zone between Lisbon to Vladivostok gone forward, then where would that leave the United States? Out in the cold, that’s where. The US would become an isolated island of dwindling significance whose massive account deficits and ballooning national debt would pave the way for years of brutal restructuring, declining standards of living, runaway inflation and burgeoning social unrest. Does anyone really believe that Washington would let that to happen when it has a “brand-spanking” trillion dollar war machine at its disposal?

get the full facts before you start making a pathetic joke..........you really are one of lifes losers

The full facts being you implying that knife crime is some British thing that doesn't happen in the US and the full facts that you said in this thread that knife crime was worse than gun crime.

And the full fact is that guy is now dead. Shot dead.

The full fact is if this had happened in Hampshire you'd be posting it up here to "prove" your rather dumb worldview. Except it didn't and it is highly unlikely to.

What other full facts have you got for me?

The full facts being you implying that knife crime is some British thing that doesn't happen in the US and the full facts that you said in this thread that knife crime was worse than gun crime.

And the full fact is that guy is now dead. Shot dead.

The full fact is if this had happened in Hampshire you'd be posting it up here to "prove" your rather dumb worldview. Except it didn't and it is highly unlikely to.

What other full facts have you got for me?

OK so its Ok to attack security at Southampton international(:D) airport with a machete in your little mind .............get in the real world ...............

OK so its Ok to attack security at Southampton international(:D) airport with a machete in your little mind .............get in the real world ...............

Where did I say anything remotely like that? Deary me.

Is the real world your little place where knives are more dangerous than guns? That real world?

What makes you so sure that the Brit royals will be gone in 100 years time Sarnia? There is absolutely no movement towards Republicanism at the moment worth talking about. The average Brit loves the Royal family, it would take a lot to shift them out.

Where did I say anything remotely like that? Deary me.

Is the real world your little place where knives are more dangerous than guns? That real world?

Sorry you misunderstood what I was saying (but not surprised) ...........so some nut case comes at you armed to the teeth with machete and knife...all you have to defend yourself with is a firearm.........and you are decrying that he was shot!!!.........you really are clueless............Hey did you enjoy the fact that the british crown don't own any land in Canada.........

What makes you so sure that the Brit royals will be gone in 100 years time Sarnia? There is absolutely no movement towards Republicanism at the moment worth talking about. The average Brit loves the Royal family, it would take a lot to shift them out.

If you think that 100 years from now that they will still rule you lot ............go on keep believing...........

If you know what the world be like in 100 years go on tell me your vision..........I happen to believe that your medieval form of subservience will be gone in maybe 20 years.............

Did you emigrate because you were abused by Prince Andrew?

Or did a union jack clad mourner, consumed with grief, stab you in the thigh in frustration after Diana's 'accident'?

Edited by Goatboy

Sorry you misunderstood what I was saying (but not surprised) ...........so some nut case comes at you armed to the teeth with machete and knife...all you have to defend yourself with is a firearm.........and you are decrying that he was shot!!!.........you really are clueless............Hey did you enjoy the fact that the british crown don't own any land in Canada.........

"...all you have to defend yourself with is a firearm..."

Wonderful stuff.

Did you emigrate because you were abused by Prince Andrew?

Or did a union jack clad mourner, consumed with grief, stab you in the thigh in frustration after Diana's 'accident'?

LOL ..........you are pathetic goatboy.......I don't hate them but I don't care for them either............know that must be hard to understand for you.........just try OK....

BTW I left the UK over 40 years ago.

"...all you have to defend yourself with is a firearm..."

Wonderful stuff.

So you are saying that she should have stopped the nutcase with her bare hands???.........like a few others you are in denial about the real violence problems you have in the UK .......... must make you feel good putting down the USA :)

So you are saying that she should have stopped the nutcase with her bare hands???.........like a few others you are in denial about the real violence problems you have in the UK .......... must make you feel good putting down the USA :)

I'm not putting down the USA.

Just you.

If you know what the world be like in 100 years go on tell me your vision..........I happen to believe that your medieval form of subservience will be gone in maybe 20 years.............

Yep, can't wait to live in a land where I am subservient to someone like George W Bush or Ronald Reagan.

Still struggling with the logistics here. Sarnia is a Brit but lives in Canada yet strongly supports the USA?

Get it right FFS..........I was born in the UK.........am a Canadian now..........and yeah I strongly support the US.........any thing else your struggling with????

President Obama interviews David Simon, creator of The Wire.

They talk about many things, but an underlying theme is definitely "What's wrong with America?".

If the President can have this discussion, I think we all can.