What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Now I know the consensus is that Sarnia's posts are probably redneck brain farts, steeped in a mixture of one-up-manship and creosote, but I'd like to submit an alternative analysis. Sarnia's posts taken collectively, might just be genius.

Look at the way that they elicit the broad themes of the perceived problems with gun proliferation in the US. Indiscriminate fire, targeting the homeless and the use of various ordnance. Hollow points. Y'all are dum dums.

He has even established a Canada-based anti-knife lobby (of one), focusing on UK knife crime, for the benefit of the US pro-gun cause. It's dizzying stuff. House of Cards isn't this convoluted.

Perhaps these posts are part of a wider unseen whole, and that when the final post hits the thread, everything will fall into place for us dumb "rest of the West" types that aren't too keen on having guns about, and don't know what we're talking about. Perhaps we will say, "Sarnia was right". Perhaps WE will change.

"Babes, can you pick up an AK47 and some ammo from the ASDA? Don't worry about the expense. I'm making money hand over fist by installing these full body scanners in primary schools"

I can see it now :)

Edited by pap

Now I know the consensus is that Sarnia's posts are probably redneck brain farts, steeped in a mixture of one-up-manship and creosote, but I'd like to submit an alternative analysis. Sarnia's posts taken collectively, might just be genius.

Look at the way that they elicit the broad themes of the perceived problems with gun proliferation in the US. Indiscriminate fire, targeting the homeless and the use of various ordnance. Hollow points. Y'all are dum dums.

He has even established a Canada-based anti-knife lobby (of one), focusing on UK knife crime, for the benefit of the US pro-gun cause. It's dizzying stuff. House of Cards isn't this convoluted.

Perhaps these posts are part of a wider unseen whole, and that when the final post hits the thread, everything will fall into place for us dumb "rest of the West" types that aren't too keen on having guns about, and don't know what we're talking about. Perhaps we will say, "Sarnia was right". Perhaps WE will change.

"Babes, can you pick up an AK47 and some ammo from the ASDA? Don't worry about the expense. I'm making money hand over fist by installing these full body scanners in primary schools"

I can see it now :)

LOL :rolleyes: you just confirmed that you really know nothing .............. so knives are better than guns.........OK :yawn: if you say it, well must be true......in your mind :)

LOL :rolleyes: you just confirmed that you really know nothing .............. so knives are better than guns.........OK :yawn: if you say it, well must be true......in your mind :)

Got to say, as trolling goes, that's pretty exceptional.

I spent Sunday and Monday night with friends in upstate NY. Wealthy area, liberal educated people. I stayed in their teenage sons room who was away at college. .22 bullets were lying loose on his desk mixed in with his pens and the rifle was propped in the corner. Okay that isnt the same as a loaded handgun left where kids can get it - but it is typically indicative of how casual the attitude is to weapons.

I find that knives are infinetly better than guns ... especially when I have a plate of fish 'n' chips in front of me.

But this is not at all a flippant matter - as anyone who has seen this programme dealing with the manifest pain and suffering the appalling Sandy Hook tragedy entailed will surely confirm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0551y87/this-world-surviving-sandy-hook

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Don't worry Sarnie - don't get upset! Let me tuck you in and read you a bedtime story. Not a scary one, I promise!

Lou you can tuck me in anytime!!! ...........rule 1 for you first .............:rule1:

A sarnie is a sandwich .......EH

Edited by SarniaSaint

I find that knives are infinetly better than guns ... especially when I have a plate of fish 'n' chips in front of me.

But this is not at all a flippant matter - as anyone who has seen this programme dealing with the manifest pain and suffering the appalling Sandy Hook tragedy entailed will surely confirm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0551y87/this-world-surviving-sandy-hook

Very true it is not a flippant matter..........do you really think that no one cares??? of course we do............. just the wholesale condemnation of anything American while you live in your smug "better than them" world just shows to me how small minded the UK has become............and I am a Canadian see the worst of the USA and also see the best of the USA more than any of you can.

I spent Sunday and Monday night with friends in upstate NY. Wealthy area, liberal educated people. I stayed in their teenage sons room who was away at college. .22 bullets were lying loose on his desk mixed in with his pens and the rifle was propped in the corner. Okay that isnt the same as a loaded handgun left where kids can get it - but it is typically indicative of how casual the attitude is to weapons.

Where in upstate NY ?? Albany to Buffalo or the Addironacks ?? Upstate NY is a great place to visit.

Very true it is not a flippant matter..........do you really think that no one cares??? of course we do............. just the wholesale condemnation of anything American while you live in your smug "better than them" world just shows to me how small minded the UK has become............and I am a Canadian see the worst of the USA and also see the best of the USA more than any of you can.

Bless. He just keeps on giving.

just the wholesale condemnation of anything American while you live in your smug "better than them" world just shows to me how small minded the UK has become............

The wholesale condemnation of anything American? I think people have just concentrated on the 'I must be allowed to own a gun' attitude which most of us find confusing. As you know the country so well, you could try to explain why owning a gun is so important over there, it would be more helpful than just throwing insults at the UK...

Where in upstate NY ?? Albany to Buffalo or the Addironacks ?? Upstate NY is a great place to visit.

Not as far up as that. Katonah, really lovely town, leafy area on a lake but only an hour from NYC. I drove through from NYC to Ottawa a couple of years ago but would like to go back for a proper look around. Currently in Bedford PA but driving back to NYC this afternoon.

Edited by buctootim

Not as far up as that. Katonah, really lovely town, leafy area on a lake but only an hour from NYC. I drove through from NYC to Ottawa a couple of years ago but would like to go back for a proper look around. Currently in Bedford PA but driving back to NYC this afternoon.

Next time you go from NYC to Canada go straight up the Thruway (I-87) when you get past Albany/Troy area its a great drive ..........there is a small black top that goes from North Hudson west to Newcomb NY I have driven it a few times and didn't see a soul for 30 miles then about 100 feet in front of me a Golden Eagle with a Jack Rabbit in its claws flew right across the road.......a life long memory.

The wholesale condemnation of anything American? I think people have just concentrated on the 'I must be allowed to own a gun' attitude which most of us find confusing. As you know the country so well, you could try to explain why owning a gun is so important over there, it would be more helpful than just throwing insults at the UK...

OK .........who is to say what I can can't own huh???........firearms are not illegal so why the big problem with you???......OK different culture than UK ...........and BTW to get a firearm legally is not just walking into Walmart and buying no questions asked .................HTH but some how I doubt it :)

Given the huge number of shooting related fatalies inthe US, and the fact that the world is a much different from when the second amendment was drafted, what most of us cannot understand is why there is this all consuming desire to own guns.

A few years back when I was in Florida, They made a change to the gun law in the state (Florida is pretty liberal towards guns). The changed made it legal for people to take their guns to work, providing that they kept them in the trunks of their cars. Quite why God only knows but it certainly adds a degree of jeopardy to firing someone. my point is whilst 99.99% of people wouldn't even consider that course of action, the legal framework has created the opportunity for it to happen.

what is hard to understand is that in Florida, they have been making gun ownership easier, not more difficult. May be it was something to do with Jeb Bush being governor, but it makes no sense to me.

OK .........who is to say what I can can't own huh???........firearms are not illegal so why the big problem with you???

An individuals 'right' to own a firearm is (in most counties) balanced against the rights of others not to get shot in the street by said weapons ... or in their classrooms for that matter. Explain to this forum why it is desirable that automatic weapons - weapons that have no other purpose than to rapidly kill people in large numbers - should be made available to the general public?

I heard some nutjob saying the other day that as both cars and guns kill people, then if you seek to ban guns you should logically also ban cars too! As 'false analogies' go that is quite a ridiculous example ... but one I suspect that you may find compelling.

An individuals 'right' to own a firearm is (in most counties) balanced against the rights of others not to get shot in the street by said weapons ... or in their classrooms for that matter. Explain to this forum why it is desirable that automatic weapons - weapons that have no other purpose than to rapidly kill people in large numbers - should be made available to the general public?

I heard some nutjob saying the other day that as both cars and guns kill people, then if you seek to ban guns you should logically also ban cars too! As 'false analogies' go that is quite a ridiculous example ... but one I suspect that you may find compelling.

And knives. Don't forget knives. Knives are, like, way more worser than guns. Like, well bad.

Next time you go from NYC to Canada go straight up the Thruway (I-87) when you get past Albany/Troy area its a great drive ..........there is a small black top that goes from North Hudson west to Newcomb NY I have driven it a few times and didn't see a soul for 30 miles then about 100 feet in front of me a Golden Eagle with a Jack Rabbit in its claws flew right across the road.......a life long memory.

Did you try and shoot it?

You are obviously believing that automatic weapons are available to anyone...........that is a complete myth ..........you cannot buy automatic weapons any where OK!! that is federal and state law........but just like the UK can buy from criminals ...........HTH but I doubt it your mind is made up and nothing I will say will change it........so go on living in the 2nd world and think you are "better than them"

No you pillock .......thought you were being clever EH?....when you know what the F..k your talking about reply........ but I cant wait until the end of time ...........cause that's how long it will take.

Not even a little tingle in your pants at the thought of shooting? C'mon be honest gunboy.

You are obviously believing that automatic weapons are available to anyone...........that is a complete myth ..........you cannot buy automatic weapons any where OK!! that is federal and state law........but just like the UK can buy from criminals ...........HTH but I doubt it your mind is made up and nothing I will say will change it........so go on living in the 2nd world and think you are "better than them"

For your information, I'm a long term admirer of the United States and it's kind and (often) generous people. Indeed, I've been criticised on here for being overly supportive towards that great nation on numerous occasions. So to hear from the likes of you that in fact I'm some sort of hate filled arrogant English opponent of the USA is something of a novelty if nothing else.

On this specific firearms issue however too many of my American friends seem to be trapped in a form of national psychosis that prevents them from comprehending what seems to be the obvious truth of the matter to most sane people elsewhere - IE the utterly perverse and irrational attitude many (but not all) Americans hold towards gun control has proven to be profoundly harmful.

I'm well aware thank you of the history of the USA and its federal state structure. However, the fact that automatic weapons are not freely available in every single state is unlikely to prove much of a consolation the next time large numbers of innocent schoolchildren are massacred in their classrooms because yet again some mentally unstable adolescent has been able to get his hands on a AR-15 and enough ammunition to fight a small war.

It takes a special someone to get myself, Chapel End Charlie and CB Fry consistently having the same opinion on an issue.

Sarnia is that someone, and possibly the issue :)

What do you know about it eh? Ever bored everyone rigid in Canadia or USA???.... Wind your neck in fo I pop a cap in yo ass.

(Thought I'd get it in before Sarnia).

For your information, I'm a long term admirer of the United States and it's kind and (often) generous people. Indeed, I've been criticised on here for being overly supportive towards that great nation on numerous occasions.

Strange to find such an impassioned defence coming from Canada though, ain't it? I thought Americans view Canadians like some kind of repulsive object you'd find under a flat rock?

I reckon Sarnia has got Stockholm Syndrome :thumbup:

Our "challenged" ex-pat is correct, you cannot buy fully automatic assault rifles in the States, only semi-automatic assault rifles, so that's ok.

You are quite correct, you do have to go to the tiresome bother of pulling the trigger each and every time you want to shoot somebody with a semiautomatic weapon - I imagine the NRA must view that as a sinister federal infringement on their constitutional rights. Image of 'Bushmaster' .223 assault rifle employed to slaughter 26 innocent schoolchildren and their teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut in December 2012:

Lanza-AR-15.jpg

Enjoy great performance from the Bushmaster .223 Remington Semiautomatic Rifle that features a 30-round magazine. The 6-position, telescoping stock adapts to your needs and collapses for hassle-free carrying. The bore and chamber are chrome lined to provide accuracy, durability and easy maintenance. $899.99

Now I for one have no doubt that the framers of the US constitution had weapons of this type in mind when they wrote that wonderful document in 1789.

You are quite correct, you do have to go to the tiresome bother of pulling the trigger each and every time you want to shoot somebody with a semiautomatic weapon - I imagine the NRA must view that as a sinister federal infringement on their constitutional rights. Image of 'Bushmaster' .223 assault rifle employed to slaughter 26 innocent schoolchildren and their teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut in December 2012:

Lanza-AR-15.jpg

Now I for one have no doubt that the framers of the US constitution had weapons of this type in mind when they wrote that wonderful document in 1789.

Those pesky coyotes must be bricking it.

When you know what really happened let me know...........FYI Skid Row in LA is full of badasses that should be locked up HTH

Ah silly me. The officer was just firing blanks and the guy on the ground really shot himself five times. What did you see? A group of officers surrounding a man on the ground who then gets shot several times? Was there no other way to restrained the man who was on the ground without filing him full of holes? You must sleep very soundly at night knowing that you are being protected by such fearless officers. If this was a one off Sarnia perhaps I would have some sympathy for your view. Sadly it happens all too frequently. Discharging a firearm should be a last resort - all too often it is used as a default position. Oh, and I did I say the guy was on the ground?

It takes a special someone to get myself, Chapel End Charlie and CB Fry consistently having the same opinion on an issue.

Sarnia is that someone, and possibly the issue :)

So now I am the issue ..........LOL.............meanwhile new weapon of choice in UK.........

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11840880.Man_drove_car_into_girlfriend_outside_her_home_in_Southampton/?ref=mr

cant believe those tiny autos are a weapon LOL

Ah silly me. The officer was just firing blanks and the guy on the ground really shot himself five times. What did you see? A group of officers surrounding a man on the ground who then gets shot several times? Was there no other way to restrained the man who was on the ground without filing him full of holes? You must sleep very soundly at night knowing that you are being protected by such fearless officers. If this was a one off Sarnia perhaps I would have some sympathy for your view. Sadly it happens all too frequently. Discharging a firearm should be a last resort - all too often it is used as a default position. Oh, and I did I say the guy was on the ground?

Oh Deary me.................the guy was trying to get a cops gun so what the f..k do you expect ........"come on stop doing that let me cuff you"............BTW he was wanted on an arrest warrant was a French citizen that needed deporting and oh yeah mentally ill..............gun with blanks just fires blanks don't protect the cop......HTH

What do you know about it eh? Ever bored everyone rigid in Canadia or USA???.... Wind your neck in fo I pop a cap in yo ass.

(Thought I'd get it in before Sarnia).

Now I know why you are called goat .............boy ..............you want me to wind my neck in???.........never happen!!! LOL

Oh Deary me.................the guy was trying to get a cops gun so what the f..k do you expect ........"come on stop doing that let me cuff you"............BTW he was wanted on an arrest warrant was a French citizen that needed deporting and oh yeah mentally ill..............gun with blanks just fires blanks don't protect the cop......HTH

It gets better. Mentally ill and wanted on an arrest warrant! Even more reason to shoot him. I was taking the p*ss when I talked about firing blanks. Are you saying that a group of officers cannot deal with a bloke on the ground (ok he was trying to get a gun but was unarmed) without actually shooting him 5 times? The training course at the academy must be very short. If anyone gives you grief, shoot them. Sorted.

So now I am the issue ..........LOL.............meanwhile new weapon of choice in UK.........

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11840880.Man_drove_car_into_girlfriend_outside_her_home_in_Southampton/?ref=mr

cant believe those tiny autos are a weapon LOL

Glad you find a girl being assaulted by a car so funny, or of course, the 1,750 or so road deaths that wreck families each year. Y'know, the ones you're trivialising with your fúcking idiocy.

Top work!