What is wrong with America

Red Alert

OK do you believe in the right to defend yourself ?..............I do and would in a heart beat.

And what, pray tell, are we defending ourselves from? I live in a average UK town of around 70,000 people. We've had 3 murders in 3 years, 1 was a psychotic son who killed his mum, a smack head killing his flatmate smack head and a fella in a van, off his head, ran down an OAP in Xmas Eve. We've had no ra pes, assaults are the usual Friday/Saturday night punch ups and breaking and entering is rare and aggravated burglary hasn't been reported in years. So, again, who exactly am I needing to protect myself from with that I'd need a 9mm handgun or a semi automatic assault rifle?

Doubt it. Simple fact is, we've been led to believe that the monarch's powers are ceremonial. They aren't.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

According to that, which I had previously read, HMQ only vetoed one bill, a private members bill trying to remove the need for her authority to declare war. All the other bills mentioned required royal consent, which was given under advice from ministers;

"The sovereign has not refused to consent to any bill affecting crown interests unless advised to do so by ministers".

Mind you, David Cameron has held some interesting opinions on this :

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/feb/06/uk.conservatives

Edited by badgerx16

And what, pray tell, are we defending ourselves from? I live in a average UK town of around 70,000 people. We've had 3 murders in 3 years, 1 was a psychotic son who killed his mum, a smack head killing his flatmate smack head and a fella in a van, off his head, ran down an OAP in Xmas Eve. We've had no ra pes, assaults are the usual Friday/Saturday night punch ups and breaking and entering is rare and aggravated burglary hasn't been reported in years. So, again, who exactly am I needing to protect myself from with that I'd need a 9mm handgun or a semi automatic assault rifle?

Bears, coyotes and gun grabbing loons.

Bears, coyotes and gun grabbing loons.

I rode over Cannock Chase solo last night and in the deepest darkest part of it a couple of Muntjac deer started barking. It's a sound that makes your blood run cold and sounds like a beast from the darkest pits of Hades is coming to take your soul. At that point I found myself reaching for my trusty assault rifle. Oh no, wait, I didn't, I just sprinted like Mark Cavendish with my arse going 5p/50p.

I rode over Cannock Chase solo last night and in the deepest darkest part of it a couple of Muntjac deer started barking. It's a sound that makes your blood run cold and sounds like a beast from the darkest pits of Hades is coming to take your soul. At that point I found myself reaching for my trusty assault rifle. Oh no, wait, I didn't, I just sprinted like Mark Cavendish with my arse going 5p/50p.

I've found just the thing :

MtBike.jpg

I find that some threads are best skim-read; this thread has long since been one of them.

However, this approach can be problematic. For instance, I mistook the '1' for an 'I' at the start of the bold bit: :scared:

If ever there was a case for spelling out small numbers as letters, this was it, VFTT!

Edited by Halo Stickman

According to that, which I had previously read, HMQ only vetoed one bill, a private members bill trying to remove the need for her authority to declare war. All the other bills mentioned required royal consent, which was given under advice from ministers;

"The sovereign has not refused to consent to any bill affecting crown interests unless advised to do so by ministers".

Mind you, David Cameron has held some interesting opinions on this :

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/feb/06/uk.conservatives

My feeling is that we're told one thing while another happens to be the case. One of the cases I often make is that true power persists, which is something that the monarchy certainly does. Every PM has had a weekly meeting with the Queen since forever. If the role of the monarchy is purely ceremonial, what does the PM need to consult the Queen for? For anything?

My feeling is that we're told one thing while another happens to be the case. One of the cases I often make is that true power persists, which is something that the monarchy certainly does. Every PM has had a weekly meeting with the Queen since forever. If the role of the monarchy is purely ceremonial, what does the PM need to consult the Queen for? For anything?

Advice on how to do his job. She has been around for a long while and her experience is highly valued.

I love it how Sarnia is literally singlehandedly keeping this thread going, and everyone keeps responding in an increasingly tired, but non complaining fashion, even though every possible point that could be made, has been made to death.

Respect Sarnia.

Lou ..........I cant say LOL because the brain dead don't like it .....but TY :D

I'm sure you would. Somebody would punch you in the face (probably because you deserved a slap) and to get even, you'd probably get out your heaviest duty semi-automatic assault rifle and fill him full of holes. Such is self-defence in America.

Oh Boy.......let me guess shoe size same as IQ????

Remember the dude in Wayne's World that used to say "I love you, man!"? If the recipient said "I love you too", it could go on for ages. Wayne and Garth would quickly advise people to say "thank you", the only known code word to end the exchange.

Perhaps Sarnia's input is a bit like that bloke. All we have to do is say "nah, actually, there isn't a problem with America. You were right all along, Sarns, me ol' fruit and nut".

And then it's over....

Go on say it then :)

If trolling means dis-agreeing with you .................

Nah. It pretty much means not making a cogent argument, calling people thick when they ask you pertinent questions, not answering most of the points people put to you, using knife crime in the UK to support gun culture in the US etc.

Go on, call me stupid or just put LOL. That will be extremely original and witty...

In the spirit of scientific investigation, why don't we take it in turns to reply to Sarnia so that we can then learn just how long he is prepared to keep this going? I'm betting it will be a matter of years.

You never know, we could write a article entitled 'Internet Forum Psychosis' on our findings, submit it to the Journal of Physiological Research for publication, and then become fabulously wealthy on the earnings.

Hey I can go for that but want 50% of the earnings :)

Wow that's 3 more murders than here in Sarnia Ontario (pop 75000 and border city) ..............so maybe there is something in what I am saying

Nah. It pretty much means not making a cogent argument, calling people thick when they ask you pertinent questions, not answering most of the points people put to you, using knife crime in the UK to support gun culture in the US etc.

Go on, call me stupid or just put LOL. That will be extremely original and witty...

Hey no one asked any pertinent questions ...........took all their so called facts from the uk media............and the knife crime was just to show you all that you lot ain't that perfect ...............OK HTH

Maybe you should be careful next time you pop over the border Sarnia.

(I did not get this from the distorted British media)

Hey I go to Michigan all the time...............so what's your point ......go on tell me

BTW that ain't the Sarnia - Port Huron crossing ..........try again :)

Edited by SarniaSaint

Must make you feel so wonderful with your "brit superior than you attitude" if all you can do is crititize spelling and grammar. EH goat :)

Your "America is superior and you're all no-nothing helpless subjects of a monach" attitude is much better. Especially as a English born person living in Canada. Must make you feel so wonderful.

Well, fun as it has been to deal with Sarnia's nightly emissions, how about some broader questions on the nation at hand.

For starters, where do people think the US is going to become in the next 100 years?

Must make you feel so wonderful with your "brit superior than you attitude" if all you can do is crititize spelling and grammar. EH goat :)

I could criticise plenty of other stuff Sarnia but I fear that you wouldn't fully understand.:toppa:

http://abc7news.com/news/machete-wielding-man-shot-at-new-orleans-airport/567316/

The entirely British phenomenon of nutcases with knives has finally, finally arrived in the US. Of course, the police shot him with the much less harmful "gun" thing.

The female TSA officer needs to spend time on the firing range before she returns to duty. That is not good shooting, one in the arm, one in the leg and one in the "facial area". And a colleague was also shot in the arm somehow. As the assailant was not described as being armed with a gun, we must assume that the injured officer was the victim of what has euphimistically become known from battle zones around the World involving Americans as "friendly fire".

http://abc7news.com/news/machete-wielding-man-shot-at-new-orleans-airport/567316/

The entirely British phenomenon of nutcases with knives has finally, finally arrived in the US. Of course, the police shot him with the much less harmful "gun" thing.

Just as a matter of interest, CB, what is your knife of choice? What do you consider the ideal blade length and width for a general purpose knife? A stiletto is good for the precision work, and a flick knife is practical for concealment purposes. Or do you fall into the camp of this assailant and go for something big and crude like a machete or a combat knife? Which is the best all-round hunting knife in your opinion, the best for dispatching the prey and then skinning it? If you were to arm yourself properly with say three knives for all potential situations that you might encounter in the urban jungle, what would they be?

Just as a matter of interest, CB, what is your knife of choice? What do you consider the ideal blade length and width for a general purpose knife? A stiletto is good for the precision work, and a flick knife is practical for concealment purposes. Or do you fall into the camp of this assailant and go for something big and crude like a machete or a combat knife? Which is the best all-round hunting knife in your opinion, the best for dispatching the prey and then skinning it? If you were to arm yourself properly with say three knives for all potential situations that you might encounter in the urban jungle, what would they be?

Like most British people, Wes, I tend to carry six or seven knives on me at any one time, for all eventualities. I shove my hand in my coat pocket and it comes out like Wolverine.

That's all very well pap but if I gots me a raccoon dipping in my trash can I is gonna blow that motherf*kkas brains all over my yard.

It's my mouth*kkin rights man.

I saw it posted on Facebook and just thought it was perfect for this thread.

Look, if you've a serious raccoon problem, just use your innate British knife throwing skills to dispense with it.

I saw it posted on Facebook and just thought it was perfect for this thread.

Look, if you've a serious raccoon problem, just use your innate British knife throwing skills to dispense with it.

Will do. Thanks pap. Running low on ammo anyway.