What is wrong with America

Red Alert

It is. To be fair, it's right on the border; not too far from Michigan either (where Columbine occurred)....Hamilton...That's quite close to St. Catharines (my mum's from there!).

Columbine is in Colorado about 3000 miles from here HTH..........but you got one thing right I live 2 miles from the border to Michigan LOL

beat you to death with the blunt end of course what do you think he is going to do with it?

I've decided to live in Sarnia's alternate universe where the British people are not trusted with bladed objects. We were invaded in the late 1500s by dagger wielding pygmies. We continue to live under their yolk.

I've decided to live in Sarnia's alternate universe where the British people are not trusted with bladed objects. We were invaded in the late 1500s by dagger wielding pygmies. We continue to live under their yolk.

Guess you can't

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11810025.Three_men_charged_with_attempted_murder_after_stabbing/?ref=mr

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11809970.Police_probe_after_22_year_old_man_kidnapped_by_knife_wielding_men/?ref=mr

LOL

I know he's a Canadian, but SarniaSaint does remind me why God invented baseball bats.

Yikes!! I know who I want on my side if I'm ever walking down a dark alleyway.

Sarnia, the difference between guns and knives, isn't that they don't both kill people. They do. It's just that guns make it very easy for any old spineless or unknowing person to do it. With a knife, you need a higher level of commitment.

Columbine is in Colorado about 3000 miles from here HTH..........but you got one thing right I live 2 miles from the border to Michigan LOL

I think there was an incident in Flint, Michigan actually...I think that might be what I'm referring to.

Yeah... this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kayla_Rolland

Kinda just pointing out that whilst you're not in the states; you're not too far from the action.

Edited by Hockey_saint

I think there was an incident in Flint, Michigan actually...I think that might be what I'm referring to.

Kinda just pointing out that whilst you're not in the states; you're not too far from the action.

Canada has a very different culture than the United States. It is not a gun-loving society. Most of the hand-guns used in petty crime here are imported illegally from the U.S. And U.S. citizens crossing into Canada by car are often surprised that they are required to relinquish their weapons at the border. People are not allowed to carry around hand-guns here - whether concealed or not.

We also had a "long-gun" registry (for rifles and shotguns), which required owners to have those weapons registered by the police. Farmers and hunters (especially in the west of Canada - where the American spirit of individual liberty and frontier enthusiasm is strong) resented the fact that "law-abiding" gun-owners had to go through the hassle of registering those weapons. Canada doesn't have the same kind of rabid pro-gun lobby group, like the N.R.A., active here; but the federal government - which has a Republican-styled, libertarian approach to most social issues - eliminated the registry, even though most police forces were opposed to the idea.

The majority of Canadians deplore the pro-gun attitude of many Americans. They see handguns as a symbol of freedom and a means of protection; we see them as safety-hazards and the tools of criminals and sociopaths.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Canada has a very different culture than the United States. It is not a gun-loving society. Most of the hand-guns used in petty crime here are imported illegally from the U.S. And U.S. citizens crossing into Canada by car are often surprised that they are required to relinquish their weapons at the border. People are not allowed to carry around hand-guns here - whether concealed or not.

We also had a "long-gun" registry (for rifles and shotguns), which required owners to have those weapons registered by the police. Farmers and hunters (especially in the west of Canada - where the American spirit of individual liberty and frontier enthusiasm is strong) resented the fact that "law-abiding" gun-owners had to go through the hassle of registering those weapons. Canada doesn't have the same kind of rabid pro-gun lobby group, like the N.R.A., active here; but the federal government - which has a Republican-styled, libertarian approach to most social issues - eliminated the registry, even though most police forces were opposed to the idea.

The majority of Canadians deplore the pro-gun attitude of many Americans. They see handguns as a symbol of freedom and a means of protection; we see them as safety-hazards and the tools of criminals and sociopaths.

I know, I'm related to loads; spent loads of time there and have had a couple of working visas. I know how Canadian culture is different but I meant, kinda like a window peering in a close kind of way.

This describes the differences very well in my view. As someone who's worked in and travelled a lot around the US and enjoyed it greatly, I must regretfully say I feel a pang of relief when I (occasionally) cross the border from the US into Canada. Despite its low-grade politicians it's an incredibly sane place and the cities (I have relatives in Toronto and in-laws in Montreal) a pleasure to live in.

Still not sure about Hamilton though...

Sarnia, the difference between guns and knives, isn't that they don't both kill people. They do. It's just that guns make it very easy for any old spineless or unknowing person to do it. With a knife, you need a higher level of commitment.

I tend to just use my bare hands.

This describes the differences very well in my view. As someone who's worked in and travelled a lot around the US and enjoyed it greatly, I must regretfully say I feel a pang of relief when I (occasionally) cross the border from the US into Canada. Despite its low-grade politicians it's an incredibly sane place and the cities (I have relatives in Toronto and in-laws in Montreal) a pleasure to live in.

Still not sure about Hamilton though...

My first home in Canada, after arriving in 1969, was in Burlington - which lies between Toronto and Hamilton on the northern shore of Lake Ontario. Like Oakville, immediately to its east, Burlington took in a large number of British immigrants in the 50s and 60s. I settled in Hamilton because I attended university there (McMaster University) for 7 years in the late 70s and early 80s.

Many Ontarians look down on Hamiltonians because of the city's so-called working-class reputation. The steel industry - and its associated manufacturing facilities - lies on the northern edge of the city, which is the sight that people have of the city, as they whiz past on the highway. But that's only a small part of the city. It is true that the central core of the city has gone through a couple of decades of decline - caused by a general flight of home-owners into the suburbs, and the relocation of large retail outlets ("box-stores") to the outskirts of the city, where they can build acres of parking lots for cars around the stores. But in the last five years there has been much rebuilding, new construction, and revitilization of the city core. I'm sure this trend has been going in the UK, too.

Hamilton is actually a good city to live in. It doesn't have the self-absorption of Toronto - which is perennially obsessed and anxious about whether or not it as a so-called "world-class" city. I live in the west end of Hamilton. It's like a village inside the city - near the university. There is a wonderful marsh nearby with lots of hiking trails through the woods on either edge. Also nearby is the Royal Botanical Gardens - which has four or five different gardens and lots of woods to walk through. Great areas to walk the dog!

It's much cheaper to buy houses in Hamilton, than Toronto. Probably about 50% cheaper. Many young people are finding Toronto impossibly expensive - especially when they are trying to buy their first home. Many of those who dislike the suburban scene, and want the vibrancy of city-life are moving west to Hamilton. Well, that's a bit about the city for you ...!

Lou if you were I a dark alley .......you would want me by your side...........

Maybe that's why I understand them more than you lot who get there pov from the crap UK media........

You ever been to Flint MI????

OH the long gun registry...........never registered mine.......... don't have to now not that I ever would

I can't say I'm impressed with the tactic you've chosen on this thread, Sarnia.

The OP is pretty open-ended, inviting a wide range of answers, so it's a little disappointing to see you answering a very different question from afar; "What is wrong with Britain?", redundantly and somewhat ineffectively. I don't know if you have noticed, but most of the threads in the Lounge are people asking that question in one form or another.

There are key differences between the context of the OP (and further incidents mentioned later on in the thread) and the counter-examples you've provided. I don't really know how you make stabbings and urban gang violence, stuff which happens worldwide, a British concern. I also don't know how you equate that widespread blight with toddlers killing themselves with handguns or madmen going on rampages with automatic weapons. Yes, such things have happened elsewhere in developed countries, but with nothing like the frequency we see from the USA.

Your approach, which basically amounts to "no, no! look over there!", is like trying to solve gun crime in Manchester by pointing out that someone has taken possession of a peashooter in Plymouth. Amusing, not entirely helpful and would get shot to pieces in the real world.

The OP is pretty open-ended, inviting a wide range of answers, so it's a little disappointing to see you answering a very different question from afar; "What is wrong with Britain?", redundantly and somewhat ineffectively. I don't know if you have noticed, but most of the threads in the Lounge are people asking that question in one form or another.

There are key differences between the context of the OP (and further incidents mentioned later on in the thread) and the counter-examples you've provided. I don't really know how you make stabbings and urban gang violence, stuff which happens worldwide, a British concern. I also don't know how you equate that widespread blight with toddlers killing themselves with handguns or madmen going on rampages with automatic weapons. Yes, such things have happened elsewhere in developed countries, but with nothing like the frequency we see from the USA.

Your approach, which basically amounts to "no, no! look over there!", is like trying to solve gun crime in Manchester by pointing out that someone has taken possession of a peashooter in Plymouth. Amusing, not entirely helpful and would get shot to pieces in the real world.

Cant say I'm impressed with what you have to say either............my take is that you and others just have no clue about what you are talking about but great to have a shot (LOL) at the USA..........

I'm impressed you thought he was worthy of such a response. He comes across as a very thick redneck who can't ever come up with a sensible reply. Laughable but think he enjoys it

I'm impressed you thought he was worthy of such a response. He comes across as a very thick redneck who can't ever come up with a sensible reply. Laughable but think he enjoys it

I'm working on the assumption that he has been raised by moose. Weaning him onto polysyllables.

And this is why I love Canadians.

Maybe that's why I understand them more than you lot who get there pov from the crap UK media........

You ever been to Flint MI????

I've driven past it; I've never stayed there. I think the director for "Bowling for columbine" was born and raised there. Remember as well, when people live so close together in rough, run down neighbourhoods. Crime, often violent crime does happen and this has to be at least a small factor in the rise of knife crime in Southampton.

My first home in Canada, after arriving in 1969, was in Burlington - which lies between Toronto and Hamilton on the northern shore of Lake Ontario. Like Oakville, immediately to its east, Burlington took in a large number of British immigrants in the 50s and 60s. I settled in Hamilton because I attended university there (McMaster University) for 7 years in the late 70s and early 80s.

Many Ontarians look down on Hamiltonians because of the city's so-called working-class reputation. The steel industry - and its associated manufacturing facilities - lies on the northern edge of the city, which is the sight that people have of the city, as they whiz past on the highway. But that's only a small part of the city. It is true that the central core of the city has gone through a couple of decades of decline - caused by a general flight of home-owners into the suburbs, and the relocation of large retail outlets ("box-stores") to the outskirts of the city, where they can build acres of parking lots for cars around the stores. But in the last five years there has been much rebuilding, new construction, and revitilization of the city core. I'm sure this trend has been going in the UK, too.

Hamilton is actually a good city to live in. It doesn't have the self-absorption of Toronto - which is perennially obsessed and anxious about whether or not it as a so-called "world-class" city. I live in the west end of Hamilton. It's like a village inside the city - near the university. There is a wonderful marsh nearby with lots of hiking trails through the woods on either edge. Also nearby is the Royal Botanical Gardens - which has four or five different gardens and lots of woods to walk through. Great areas to walk the dog!

It's much cheaper to buy houses in Hamilton, than Toronto. Probably about 50% cheaper. Many young people are finding Toronto impossibly expensive - especially when they are trying to buy their first home. Many of those who dislike the suburban scene, and want the vibrancy of city-life are moving west to Hamilton. Well, that's a bit about the city for you ...!

Well there is that, and the fact that if you do step out of line our Queen will just sack your Prime Minister and his Government

Well there is that, and the fact that if you do step out of line our Queen will just sack your Prime Minister and his Government

If we could get so lucky. She had the chance to do that in December, 2008. The Liberals and N.D.P. had agreed to a coalition and were about to bring in a vote of no-confidence. P.M. Stephen Harper went to the Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) and asked her to prorogue Parliament. She agreed, unfortunately - if she had declined, Harper's government would have fallen, and the parties then able to form a coalition would have been invited to form the government.

[Oh, and btw, she's our Queen, too.]

I've driven past it; I've never stayed there. I think the director for "Bowling for columbine" was born and raised there. Remember as well, when people live so close together in rough, run down neighbourhoods. Crime, often violent crime does happen and this has to be at least a small factor in the rise of knife crime in Southampton.

Yes, that's Michael Moore. His first feature documentary, Roger & Me is about the economic collapse of Flint, after General Motors closed the auto plants there and moved them to Mexico, where they could pay the workers a fraction of what they did in Flint.

Not specifically on topic with regards to guns, but a very interesting insight into some of the real problems in US society with regards to wealth and the "American dream".

John Oliver has had his say on gun control as well...

If we could get so lucky. She had the chance to do that in December, 2008. The Liberals and N.D.P. had agreed to a coalition and were about to bring in a vote of no-confidence. P.M. Stephen Harper went to the Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) and asked her to prorogue Parliament. She agreed, unfortunately - if she had declined, Harper's government would have fallen, and the parties then able to form a coalition would have been invited to form the government.

[Oh, and btw, she's our Queen, too.]

She wasn't asked it was the so-called governor general........... sorry if it upset you that the F.......gLibs lost out LOL

She wasn't asked it was the so-called governor general........... sorry if it upset you that the F.......gLibs lost out LOL

The Governor-General is the Queen's representative; so in a political sense, she did have the opportunity to unseat the government - by denying the request for prorogation, as I explained. I don't know what you mean by "so-called Governor General".

I'm not a Liberal supporter, btw; but I definitely oppose Harper - the most anti-democratic political leader I've ever seen.

by sensible I assume you mean agree with you..............sorry cant agree with people that talk like they know everything but know nothing.

The Governor-General is the Queen's representative; so in a political sense, she did have the opportunity to unseat the government - by denying the request for prorogation, as I explained. I don't know what you mean by "so-called Governor General".

I'm not a Liberal supporter, btw; but I definitely oppose Harper - the most anti-democratic political leader I've ever seen.

This belongs in another Canuck thread.........NDPer ????

I said so called because he has no political power same as the brit queen.

Edited by SarniaSaint

This belongs in another Canuck thread.........NDPer ????

I said so called because he has no political power same as the brit queen.

Well, generally speaking. The monarch and her representatives follow a neutral position in the politics of the day, but there is a theoretical opportunity to interfere in certain situations.

Check out what happened in Australia in 1975 - the Governor General, Sir John Kerr, dismissed the government of Gough Whitlam and installed Malcolm Fraser as the new P.M. This was referred to as "The Dismissal".

The same thing could quite easily have occurred in Canada in 2008, if Governor-General Michaelle Jean had denied the controversial request for prorogation. She agreed to Harper's desperate ploy because she feared a "dreadful crisis" if she had refused.