Gerrard to leave liverpool

Batman

which will mean even more liverpool stuff on the telly/radio/media (if that was possible)

been an incredible player though. had a great career.

now watch him get hyped up as the greatest player ever (or something)

I did laugh last season when he never won the title.......for some reason, the pundits decided that all neutrals wanted liverpool to win...which I certainly did not

Gerrard has been a quality player and in his prime would have walked into most people's best Prem side of all time. Like Le Tissier, he has also been a one club man and could have gone elsewhere if he had chosen too but stayed loyal to his club. He may not be the player he was but any rational football supporter would have wanted Gerrard in their side when he was at his best. He will get a lot of media coverage and it is well deserved.

Never a fan of the man, but no doubting what a fantastically good player he was.

I never saw Dalglish, but I'd argue Gerrard had a harder time due to not being in a team as strong as Kenny. Gerrard dragged Liverpool along almost single handedly for severely years. Dug them out of several holes.

Phenomenal player, there's an awful part of me that wants him to do a Lampard, and win the Prem that way. Mostly for the scouse tears. Because I'm awful.

Last season Liverpool at home, in the first half we made him look absolutely awful - we were playing the ball off his feet

He could still be utilised in the prem. He is still in the top 3 assist list this season and squawka had him as one of the best CM last year.

Rodgers is doing to him what hodgson did at the world cup which is to basically expose his ageing legs. We desperately needed to employ a 3 man midfield in the WC (like he did when lampard played) and even for Liverpool he is often played as the defensive midfielder. His passing is still as good as anyones, but he just cant get around a top level pitch the same.

BR should of taken a leaf out of Pellegrini and Mourinho's Lampard book and used him sparringly, up the pitch in a populated midfield.

He could still be utilised in the prem. He is still in the top 3 assist list this season and squawka had him as one of the best CM last year.

Rodgers is doing to him what hodgson did at the world cup which is to basically expose his ageing legs. We desperately needed to employ a 3 man midfield in the WC (like he did when lampard played) and even for Liverpool he is often played as the defensive midfielder. His passing is still as good as anyones, but he just cant get around a top level pitch the same.

BR should of taken a leaf out of Pellegrini and Mourinho's Lampard book and used him sparringly, up the pitch in a populated midfield.

Trouble is he probably wants a stack of money, wait and see, he'll sign for the Grand Canyon Wangos or something and then get loaned back to some PL club and will still be hanging about in the UK when he's pushing 40. His pride has been wounded, Liverpool wouldn't pay what he asked so he went crybaby route 1, we've seen it all before with Lampard.

Will be huge boots to fill At that club. So more money needing to be spent to fill the gap

I wonder who will be skipper?

I notice Lallana being a bit of a mouthpiece recently. We will probably see a story plant by Adams agent about what a great skipper he was a southampton and how much he believes in liverpool etc

Trouble is he probably wants a stack of money, wait and see, he'll sign for the Grand Canyon Wangos or something and then get loaned back to some PL club and will still be hanging about in the UK when he's pushing 40. His pride has been wounded, Liverpool wouldn't pay what he asked so he went crybaby route 1, we've seen it all before with Lampard.

Totally agree with that.

Though I'd say Lampard can actually still play at a high standard, Gerrard has been on the wane for four years at the very least.

Totally agree with that.

Though I'd say Lampard can actually still play at a high standard, Gerrard has been on the wane for four years at the very least.

I always felt that, although possessed of a great engine and determination his self indulgence has made him a liability to the national side for a long time. At that level, where possession is king the repeated 70 yard diagonal balls to the opposition full back are not what's required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always felt that, although possessed of a great engine and determination his self indulgence has made him a liability to the national side for a long time. At that level, where possession is king the repeated 70 yard diagonal balls to the opposition full back are not what's required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nailed it. Glad to see the end of his "Roy of the Rovers" style selfishness at international level, albeit about four or five years too late. He's a "wow" player but there is far more undervalued over overlooked players of his generation that were a lot, lot better.

Totally agree with that.

Lampard still does it as he isnt exposed in CM, he never really has been. But yeah, generally Gerrards game was marauding, he cant do that any more. Rodgers and hodgson should realise that really

Nailed it. Glad to see the end of his "Roy of the Rovers" style selfishness at international level, albeit about four or five years too late. He's a "wow" player but there is far more undervalued over overlooked players of his generation that were a lot, lot better.

Like who ? Only really Scholes was at his level in CM.

Lets not get into another Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes arguement, its been done to death. What I will say is its an absolute England travesty that with those 3 atleast the managers we have had were unable to do anything better than some blood and guts abject performances.

Never a fan of the man, but no doubting what a fantastically good player he was.

I never saw Dalglish, but I'd argue Gerrard had a harder time due to not being in a team as strong as Kenny. Gerrard dragged Liverpool along almost single handedly for severely years. Dug them out of several holes.

Phenomenal player, there's an awful part of me that wants him to do a Lampard, and win the Prem that way. Mostly for the scouse tears. Because I'm awful.

Kenny was something else - I was young and that might taint my vision, but I do think 1980s Liverpool were better than 1990s Man Utd. Controversial?

And Kenny did have to carry others, a very fat Jan Molby and a slightly rubbish Craig Johnstone come to mind.

Gerrard has been described as the greatest 'one club player' in the history of the premier league....by some pundits

firstly, there hasn't been many 1 club players in the premier league

secondly, scholes and definitely giggs trump him on that front

both sensational players and can back it up with a severe amount of trophies compared to gerrard

Gerrard has been described as the greatest 'one club player' in the history of the premier league....by some pundits

both sensational players and can back it up with a severe amount of trophies compared to gerrard

Giggs surely wins that "award" (if one existed) hands down. Even if just based on playing longevity; add in trophies won and there is no competition.

You make the point "by some pundits" and surely that it was it is, just their opinion - just as you have yours. Some people think that Gerrard has been a better player than Giggs and Scholes. You could argue that Giggs and Scholes played with better players. There were times when Gerrard carried that Liverpool team on his own. Neither Giggs nor Scholes ever had to do that because they were playing with more quality. These are just opinions. No matter what, the bloke is clearly a legend and had a fantastic career.

Kenny was something else - I was young and that might taint my vision, but I do think 1980s Liverpool were better than 1990s Man Utd. Controversial?

And Kenny did have to carry others, a very fat Jan Molby and a slightly rubbish Craig Johnstone come to mind.

Molby was a big lad but he could play. Johnstone did a job for the team too in a way that Long does for us. Liverpool were a quality team with that extra bit of quality in positions where you need it most - a bit like England in 1966.

I see liverpool are getting a great deal of stick for not doing everything required to keep gerrard..no matter what the cost

the impression I am getting from all of this was that SG is not too keen on being used like lampard is this season

It is blatantly obvious that in most games this season, he is getting over run in midfield. yet many expect liverpool to sign him up for another 2-3 years on £150k a week

and play him. Even using his 'world class' performance against AFC wimbledon as some sort of justification.

he has been largely crap in the league this season and in no way worth the money he would want to stay (taking the sentimental reasons out of it)

I actually think liverpool are doing the right thing really...

Edited by Batman

he has been largely crap in the league this season and in no way worth the money he would want to stay (taking the sentimental reasons out of it)

Agreed. If he's smart he'll use his time in LA to explore a business venture so there's something after football, assuming he stops gunning for Brenda's job. K-Town could always use a chip shop, go for it Stevie.

I see liverpool are getting a great deal of stick for not doing everything required to keep gerrard..no matter what the cost

the impression I am getting from all of this was that SG is not too keen on being used like lampard is this season

It is blatantly obvious that in most games this season, he is getting over run in midfield. yet many expect liverpool to sign him up for another 2-3 years on £150k a week

and play him. Even using his 'world class' performance against AFC wimbledon as some sort of justification.

Yeah, they are. They were clinging onto memories by offering him a new deal, if anything his presence around the place these days will hold them back. They need to replace him and get a much more mobile player in his place, and whilst he was there that wasn't ever going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, pure class player on his day. Loved watching him. But the decline is too clear to see now.