France: Charlie Hebdo shootings

pap

Yes, blaming an entire religion of over 1.6B people for the acts of less that 0.1%. If 1 Saints fan went and stabbed a Pompey fan in the street - would it be a natural reaction to blame and attack every single Saints fan?

That's mighty big of you, to tolerate people of other religions.

Plenty do. Trouble is, it s hard for them to be heard. Whenever the media wants a quote from a Muslim voice they will roll out Anjem Choudary, because he is a guaranteed sound bite, makes headlines and is more interesting than any reasonable person that will absolutely condemn such atrocious acts.

As Pap says, did you feel the need to apologise on behalf of Anders Breivik? Do you feel the need to apologise for the awful intimidation of 'Christian Patrols' who roam around Muslims areas in large groups, dressed in Paramilitary style outfits and barging into Mosques to start fights? All this on top of being painted the global boogie man, by governments, the media and countless ignorant idiots the world over - constantly 'randomly chosen' for extra security screening, funny looks on public transport for over a decade?

Do all Christians need to apologise for the Catholic IRA?

Do all Christians need to apologise on behalf of this Mother that killed her child by stuffing pages of the bible down it's throat?

Oh and of course, do all Christians need to apologise and condemn the KKK?

There is a very good book that I urge everyone to read called "you are not as smart as you think." In essence it proves with examples that every one of us is more influenced by the news and media than we would believe. As an example, if there is a shark attack on the news we will be more careful in the sea because we believe that shark attacks have become more common whereas what has actually happened is that reporting of shark attacks have increased. It's a similar principle here when the majority of muslims reported on happen to be extremists because the media have an agenda and because sadly the average Muslim is very dull and not newsworthy.

Seems to me that a number of people on here could do with befriending a few Muslims and actually talking to people of other beliefs and faiths. It would probably do you a lot of good and dispel a few myths.

So why do Islamic issues such as these completely outstrip any other religion or non-religious events?

I assume you are able to support that claim?

It's only the last 10 years or so (basically post-9/11) that Islam = Terrorism*.

*As portrayed by the media. Again, prior to that it was the IRA, who were...Catholic.

Assuming you're a Christian, do you rise up and condemn fellow Christians when they commit atrocities?
on my birth certificate or wedding licence only. If some christians, buddhists,,jews, atheists did the same i would condemn it.

Any religious nutter is a danger of any faith. I have an odd outlook compared to liberals as i believe if you move out of following human decency/rights then you should not have them given back to you. by moving away from normal decency why should the same treatment be given back.

No doubt this is just a faction of nutters but i suspect that there are people of their faith who shield them. they are as guilty as the perpertrators

It's only the last 10 years or so (basically post-9/11) that Islam = Terrorism*.

*As portrayed by the media. Again, prior to that it was the IRA, who were...Catholic.

err, no it isnt.

the world trade centre was targetted with other sites, facilities, ships before 9/11

Bin Laden was the most wanted man in the world/by the USA before 9/11

So you don't think Islamic events such as these are out-stipping other religions or non-religious causes? Mental.

Perhaps we need a ban on religious texts, including christianity, which encourage revenge or violence against others? Obviously this would mean sections of the bible and quran being removed, but who could argue with that if the texts encouraged, even ordered, the murder of people with different views than your own? At least a ban on their publication, on inciting terrorism grounds? Is that too far fetched?

It's not only far-fetched but you're aiming at the wrong targets. Extremists don't get much joy out of the New Testament, which is a 2,000-year-old manifesto for peace-and-loveys. And the Old Testament is so cartoonish that anyone citing it as a source for extremism is going to look more foolish than dangerous.

Salafism, the ideological source for today's cretins, draws its justification from various Hadiths - supposedly religious texts written after - sometimes centuries after - the Koran, mostly by score-settling warlords and their more literate underlings.

But this isn't about religious texts at all - it's about belonging to a death cult. And the desire to kill and maim is an essential part of that cult. To kill in the name of God, and be eternally rewarded for it, is deeply seductive, especially when the reward comes with your own death. (Witness the killing of Lee Rigby and the way in which his murderers hung around waiting to be shot.)

The most essential part of this death cult, by the way, is not the destruction of the West, but the destruction of more moderate, liberal Islam (e.g. Sufism, the Ismailis, Ahmadis, Alowites, Kurds, many other versions of Shia Islam, etc, etc). Attacks in the West and on Westerners are merely 'spectaculars' (to use Bin Laden's phrase), designed to rally the death cultists and strike fear into other Muslims.

Better ship em off to Guantanamo for some torture then.
depends on the best way to get information.Torture does not get quality intelligence as far as im aware and also causes terrible resentment.Knowing how to deal with this is going to be hell of a problem.

Just like that :lol: What other causes have carried out cold blooed murders like that over some cartoons?

Not sure why that's so amusing. Human beings have killed others over seemingly trivial matters throughout history. If religion were banned then it wouldn't be long before something else sprang up to take its place and provide an excuse to extremists to act the way they do.

Islam is just the current vehicle. Some people just like killing other people - often psychopaths who have struggled to fit in at home. An organisation which offers to feed them, pay them, arm them, send them on exciting missions and give them access to women who would otherwise shun them is going to draw every fruit loop from across the world.

Not sure why that's so amusing. Human beings have killed others over seemingly trivial matters throughout history. If religion were banned then it wouldn't be long before something else sprang up to take its place and provide an excuse to extremists to act the way they do.
Religion should not be taught until you are 18.

Islam is just the current vehicle. Some people just like killing other people - often psychopaths who have struggled to fit in at home. An organisation which offers to feed them, pay them, arm them, send them on exciting missions and give them access to women who would otherwise shun them is going to draw every fruit loop from across the world.

Absolutely this. In a few decades it will be something else. Amazed that people cannot see this.

So why is Islam itself then the problem? What about the millions of boring normal people who follow Islam but just live their lives like everyone else?
As there are over a billion muslims surely they could gang up and route out the 1% of nutters

You're right, probably just an awkward coincidence that all these current attacks are being carried out by Muslims. Why can't a Hindu Psychopath step up and take some of the slack off them?

i suspect they will melt away into the crowd. This is something that we are going to have to get used to.

Any suspects who are questioned will be asked politely if they did it, and then allowed to walk after they say no 3 times.

They will hide behind the Human Rights Act and laugh at our society

Sounds about right, with Mother Taubira in charge they might even have to answer no just the once. Ma Taubira is soft on crime.

As there are over a billion muslims surely they could gang up and route out the 1% of nutters

Why do you continue to lump everyone in together? Some bloke from Southampton who is a Muslim will probably have nothing in common with a bloke from Saudi Arabia other than the fact their religion is the same. If I were a Christian it would be like having a go at me for not rounding up Christian Extremists in Africa. It's utterly absurd and your idea that the majority of Muslims somehow support the abhorrent actions of the people today is not backed up by any shred of evidence other than your own prejudice.

Why do you continue to lump everyone in together? Some bloke from Southampton who is a Muslim will probably have nothing in common with a bloke from Saudi Arabia other than the fact their religion is the same. If I were a Christian it would be like having a go at me for not rounding up Christian Extremists in Africa. It's utterly absurd and your idea that the majority of Muslims somehow support the abhorrent actions of the people today is not backed up by any shred of evidence other than your own prejudice.
If i knew of a christian who had gone and did such a despicable crime i would let the authorities know who did it. Shame on me being a grass and not part of the gang. The odds are that the community know where and who these people are, so i assume they will be in Police custody today

When was the last time people were killed in cold blood for publishing a cartoon?

What attrocities do Christians commit? natural that you would like to come across as an enlightened liberal although many might feel just a contrary di ck.

Is that a serious question?

and is that all you do on here, call people names who don't agree with you, how old are you?

Are you seriously suggesting that there isn't a direct problem with Islam and terrorism that is a threat to the West currently?

That depends on what you call Islam. All the Muslims I know would condemn this like you or me. Overall I would say moderate Muslims haven't done enough to distance themselves from the extremists , but in one sense it's the moderates that have become victims.

The current wave of so-called 'Islamic Extremism' is down to our actions in the Middle East and support of Israel. Even Hamas formed in the late '80s as a direct result of illegal Israeli occupation/war crimes (i.e. long before 9/11 happened)

A lot of these extremist groups have since either splintered or have given born to all sorts of individuals with bloodthirsty agenda, that hijack Islam as a justification for their actions.

Islamic State aren't new. They first formed in their current state soon after the Iraqi Invasion, and had plans to establish a caliphate in Iraq 10 years ago. In a war-torn region a group like them has the perfect recipe to thrive.

Sadly the Western world has watched too many Hollywood films and believe that when an evil dictator is removed it's people become 'liberated' and are 'free'. Unfortunately what actually happens is that a power vacuum is created, people want different things and chaos ensues. (See Iraq, Afghanistan and the Taliban etc. etc.)

You're right, probably just an awkward coincidence that all these current attacks are being carried out by Muslims. Why can't a Hindu Psychopath step up and take some of the slack off them?

Do you not read the news? Most of the western 'muslim' extremists convicted have had a long criminal past and became 'converts' to Islam in prison, in reality converts to having a purpose and excitement in life. Yes there is a problem with a few radical preachers perverting the religion - but their recruits come from all kinds of backgrounds. Leee Rigby killers family were staunch Christians.

If i knew of a christian who had gone and did such a despicable crime i would let the authorities know who did it. Shame on me being a grass and not part of the gang. The odds are that the community know where and who these people are, so i assume they will be in Police custody today

What constitutes the community? And even if they are protected by some of their Muslim friends, why have you branded all Muslims terrorist sympathisers because of that? Is it because you've seen terrorist sympathisers plastered all over the media? I bet it is.

Let's be blunt.

Saudi Wahibi Sect is an extreme interpretation of Islam. They are basically Sunni's. Back in the 80's they threw out Imams who's views were too extreme even for them.

You accepted them with open arms and gave them Benefits and let them have a platform to preach their hatred. The Politically Correct movement & Race Relations industry criminalised anyone who tried to point out this could be a problem and labelled them Racist. Abu Hamza's Human Rights? REALLY?

Fast forward to today, as I posted elsewhere, the divisions between Sunni & Shia Muslims are reflected at International Level in the Gulf States vs The Great Evil of Iran, perpetrated in the Public Conscience by the pro Israeli lobby in the "West" for whom Shia's are less tolerant of their right to exist than the Sunni's.

It serves that Nation to keep the Divisions exaggerated, as once Iran and the rest of the Islamic World come together as one then we stand at the door of a Nuclear Winter as they WOULD have the strength to destroy Israel.

The point is that the West decided to destroy Iraq and then encouraged the Arab Spring, basically they destroyed the Armies of many Islamic Countries who were struggling to keep a lid on extremism. Now the conundrum here is that the Western View of Human Rights & Democracy failed to understand the fact that these Evil regimes were keeping worse evils at bay. It was always GREY never Black & White. Evil Regimes torturing dissidents is bad BUT some of those dissidents were the fore-runners of those walking Paris this afternoon. (I am NOT condoning Dictatorships BUT the ONLY solution to ISIL is to work with Iran, Syria Russia and the other Islamic States. Flush them over the border into Syria? They will wait, or they will move back to Yemen or Somalia and bide their time. They do not have elections. They can afford to wait for 5 years to achieve an objective.

Fast forward to today. The UAE & Egypt have been bombing Islamic Militants in Libya. We know that Jordan has been bombing Militants in Iraq & Syria after that poor Pilot was shot down by ISIL. Don't EVER state that Muslims do not care and are not trying to help solve these issues. That REALLY is moronic thinking. Try reading something other than The Sun.

The WORLD is at War. But it is not a simple Islam vs the West. We are at war with TWO different Enemies. Extreme Shia's and extreme Sunni's.

ALL Islamic Nations are at War with these people not just you. The UAE introduced Conscription (National Service) FFS. They know what is coming, they are training their Local Citizens to defend their Nation against these people, standing alongside US, French and other forces. Our Security Chiefs were all over the media this week on plans to help starve them out of The Levant - Oh great well that means they'll just hop back onto Easy Jet & kill you lot instead of poor Iraqis. You will NOT win this war being taken to Human Rights Courts by these people.

In the middle of all that you have Russia Iran and China supporting different factions because of the West's relationship with the Petro Dollar.

The World is in the sh1t because of

1) Political Correctness

2) Failing to get Israel under control

How many new converts were made when Israel invaded Gaza? How many made by the West's support of the Arab Spring?

The World is at War. It is a grey war and the media in the West doesn't explain it and it has been 30 years in the making and nothing any Politician does now will stop it. Bomb one village to kill one leader? Create 10 more recruits.

There is only one solution. Take away the biggest "Grievance" that the Muslim World has. Give Palestinians a viable homeland.

So no, nothing will stop it as that will never happen. Go buy some Kevlar

Unfortunately its the Saudis that fund most of the 'Islamic' terrorism, and yet we continue to court them for their oil. And at the same time we cant leave countries alone that whilst have unpleasant people running them, keep control i.e. Hussien, Taliban, Assad

If we had not invaded Afghanistan and Iraq I don't believe we would be where we are now. There would still be terrorists for sure, but not on this scale in the west.

I wonder how much more news coverage this will get compared to the 130 innocent (mostly kids) people (muslims by the way) that were killed in Peshawar?

Let's be blunt.

Saudi Wahibi Sect is an extreme interpretation of Islam. They are basically Sunni's. Back in the 80's they threw out Imams who's views were too extreme even for them.

You accepted them with open arms and gave them Benefits and let them have a platform to preach their hatred. The Politically Correct movement & Race Relations industry criminalised anyone who tried to point out this could be a problem and labelled them Racist. Abu Hamza's Human Rights? REALLY?

Fast forward to today, as I posted elsewhere, the divisions between Sunni & Shia Muslims are reflected at International Level in the Gulf States vs The Great Evil of Iran, perpetrated in the Public Conscience by the pro Israeli lobby in the "West" for whom Shia's are less tolerant of their right to exist than the Sunni's.

It serves that Nation to keep the Divisions exaggerated, as once Iran and the rest of the Islamic World come together as one then we stand at the door of a Nuclear Winter as they WOULD have the strength to destroy Israel.

The point is that the West decided to destroy Iraq and then encouraged the Arab Spring, basically they destroyed the Armies of many Islamic Countries who were struggling to keep a lid on extremism. Now the conundrum here is that the Western View of Human Rights & Democracy failed to understand the fact that these Evil regimes were keeping worse evils at bay. It was always GREY never Black & White. Evil Regimes torturing dissidents is bad BUT some of those dissidents were the fore-runners of those walking Paris this afternoon. (I am NOT condoning Dictatorships BUT the ONLY solution to ISIL is to work with Iran, Syria Russia and the other Islamic States. Flush them over the border into Syria? They will wait, or they will move back to Yemen or Somalia and bide their time. They do not have elections. They can afford to wait for 5 years to achieve an objective.

Fast forward to today. The UAE & Egypt have been bombing Islamic Militants in Libya. We know that Jordan has been bombing Militants in Iraq & Syria after that poor Pilot was shot down by ISIL. Don't EVER state that Muslims do not care and are not trying to help solve these issues. That REALLY is moronic thinking. Try reading something other than The Sun.

The WORLD is at War. But it is not a simple Islam vs the West. We are at war with TWO different Enemies. Extreme Shia's and extreme Sunni's.

ALL Islamic Nations are at War with these people not just you. The UAE introduced Conscription (National Service) FFS. They know what is coming, they are training their Local Citizens to defend their Nation against these people, standing alongside US, French and other forces. Our Security Chiefs were all over the media this week on plans to help starve them out of The Levant - Oh great well that means they'll just hop back onto Easy Jet & kill you lot instead of poor Iraqis. You will NOT win this war being taken to Human Rights Courts by these people.

In the middle of all that you have Russia Iran and China supporting different factions because of the West's relationship with the Petro Dollar.

1) Political Correctness

How many new converts were made when Israel invaded Gaza? How many made by the West's support of the Arab Spring?

The World is at War. It is a grey war and the media in the West doesn't explain it and it has been 30 years in the making and nothing any Politician does now will stop it. Bomb one village to kill one leader? Create 10 more recruits.

There is only one solution. Take away the biggest "Grievance" that the Muslim World has. Give Palestinians a viable homeland.

you may be right but ironically they are treated like lepers by the likes of Egypt, Jordan and Lebannon!

Do you not read the news? Most of the western 'muslim' extremists convicted have had a long criminal past and became 'converts' to Islam in prison, in reality converts to having a purpose and excitement in life. Yes there is a problem with a few radical preachers perverting the religion - but their recruits come from all kinds of backgrounds. Leee Rigby killers family were staunch Christians.
Most are converts with long criminal histories converted to Islam in prison? Are you sure about that? Some are, a lot aren't. And regardless, they are all devout followers of Islam.

Unfortunately its the Saudis that fund most of the 'Islamic' terrorism, and yet we continue to court them for their oil. And at the same time we cant leave countries alone that whilst have unpleasant people running them, keep control i.e. Hussien, Taliban, Assad

If we had not invaded Afghanistan and Iraq I don't believe we would be where we are now. There would still be terrorists for sure, but not on this scale in the west.

I wonder how much more news coverage this will get compared to the 130 innocent (mostly kids) people (muslims by the way) that were killed in Peshawar?

the greatest atrocity of them all happened before Afghanistan/iraq

Let's be blunt.

1) Political Correctness

And that would really do it?

Overnight, IS would lay down their arms and melt back into the desert? Those given to terrorism would unstrap their suicide vests?

I'm not entirely sure, even bowing to your superior knowledge of the workings of the Arab mind than mine.

Besides, the Arab world doesn't exactly embrace the Palestinians with open arms.

They were thrown out of Jordan in the 1970s following the action of Black September, and the highest fences and thickest barbed wire around the Gaza Strip are at the Egyptian end.

And that would really do it?

Overnight, IS would lay down their arms and melt back into the desert? Those given to terrorism would unstrap their suicide vests?

I'm not entirely sure, even bowing to your superior knowledge of the workings of the Arab mind than mine.

Besides, the Arab world doesn't exactly embrace the Palestinians with open arms.

They were thrown out of Jordan in the 1970s following the action of Black September, and the highest fences and thickest barbed wire around the Gaza Strip are at the Egyptian end.

I'm sure he can speak for himself but I don't think he was suggesting that would magically fix things, rather that it would be a start. The genie is already out of the bottle and there is no doubt that Western actions have made a significant contribution to the creation of this terrorist scum.

Poignant cartoon, courtesy of @davpope on Twitter.

B6wZOY8CMAA_b6v.jpg:large

Without wishing to be pedantic, the attacks are largely about a novel rather than the cartoons, one that has attracted quite a bit of controversy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11329625/Islamophobic-Michel-Houellebecq-book-featured-by-Charlie-Hebdo-published-today.html

err, no it isnt.

the world trade centre was targetted with other sites, facilities, ships before 9/11

Bin Laden was the most wanted man in the world/by the USA before 9/11

1990's and prior Bomb threats and actual bombings in London, Manchester, Omagh amongst other places. Then terrorism = IRA.

9/11 - Terrorism = Islam.

As Hypo says, it's about perception. This is massively shaped by the media.

Funny, there was a terrorist attack in America yesterday, someone planted a bomb at a NAACP HQ in Colorado Springs. The police are searching for a 'balding white man'. Where's the coverage? This is a white man, attacking an organisation for black people. I mean, white people have never done anything bad to black people right? No murders there, no history of oppression, no entire back catalogue of atrocities.

So you don't think Islamic events such as these are out-stipping other religions or non-religious causes? Mental.

Ok, again as you are so absolutely sure of this, you can provide something to support your claim? Right? Simply declaring me 'mental' for not agreeing that Islam is worse than everything else ever isn't really a convincing argument.

by their silence they are supporting them.

1990's and prior Bomb threats and actual bombings in London, Manchester, Omagh amongst other places. Then terrorism = IRA.

9/11 - Terrorism = Islam.

As Hypo says, it's about perception. This is massively shaped by the media.

Funny, there was a terrorist attack in America yesterday, someone planted a bomb at a NAACP HQ in Colorado Springs. The police are searching for a 'balding white man'. Where's the coverage? This is a white man, attacking an organisation for black people. I mean, white people have never done anything bad to black people right? No murders there, no history of oppression, no entire back catalogue of atrocities.

Ok, again as you are so absolutely sure of this, you can provide something to support your claim? Right? Simply declaring me 'mental' for not agreeing that Islam is worse than everything else ever isn't really a convincing argument.

there was plenty of terrorism in the west from islam prior to 9/11

its not really hard to find that out

Without wishing to be pedantic, the attacks are largely about a novel rather than the cartoons, one that has attracted quite a bit of controversy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11329625/Islamophobic-Michel-Houellebecq-book-featured-by-Charlie-Hebdo-published-today.html

Interesting, thanks.

Goes back to what you were saying earlier about France being a particularly bad place for this to happen. Extreme mainstream.

Right, and I said that wasn't the case where?

I've said the face of terrorism - i.e. who is portrayed as the big evil who we all ought to fear.

you suggested further up that thanks to the media that Terrorism = Islam for the last ten years or so (or since 9/11)

that really is not the case