France: Charlie Hebdo shootings

pap

This is the point made by a Muslim on five live earlier. Said he was offended by the cartoons but that living in a society is about compromise.

Completely trivial, but asked my Pakistani grandad what he thought about Love Thy Neighbour during the 1970s. Said he liked it, and that you had to be able to take a joke.

This is the point made by a Muslim on five live earlier. Said he was offended by the cartoons but that living in a society is about compromise.

It seems all other religions think that way except some Muslims. I'm sure Christians and Jews found the cartoons aimed at them by Hebdo just as offensive.

I dont think sour mash was being racist.

You can be any nationality to become a muslim even if your born white/ british/american / christian etc

Look at the likes of Cat Stevens/ Mohammid Ali or even my daughter

Likewise many muslim folk have converted to christianity. Several Asians who were told to leave Uganda under Amins rule , changed their religius belief.

There is extremsim of all sides of the religious arena . unfortunately there are some who are more extreme than others such as the taliban, is and the mass murderer breviekk . we dont here much about what is going on in chechnya . Then there is nigeria ho boko fanatics.

I would say there are more Christian on Muslim crimes worldwide than vice versa, yes.

How many of these do you think we're committed by Christians:

In December, the Press Association revealed that UK anti-Muslim hate crime ‘soars’ across police forces in England & Wales, with 500 “Islamophobic crimes” recorded by the MET police alone (the figures could be much higher: nearly half of the 43 forces failed to reveal how many hate crimes had targeted Muslims).

Laughable. You think any offence in a Christian country is a Christian crime? EDL beating people is in the name of Jesus is it?

I would say there are more Christian on Muslim crimes worldwide than vice versa, yes.

How many of these do you think we're committed by Christians:

In December, the Press Association revealed that UK anti-Muslim hate crime ‘soars’ across police forces in England & Wales, with 500 “Islamophobic crimes” recorded by the MET police alone (the figures could be much higher: nearly half of the 43 forces failed to reveal how many hate crimes had targeted Muslims).

Right, feel free to post up a comparable list to this at any time http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks-2013.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks Edited by Sour Mash

Claiming one group is worse than any other by showing what that group has done and no others proves nothing.

You make the claim, it's on you to prove that claim.

Without wishing to stir up a hornets nest, This is one atrocity that the conspiracy theorists seem to have left alone (Quite rightly to), when they have been all over other incidents within hours.

If you searched Twitter for Mossad you would have seen plenty

Claiming one group is worse than any other by showing what that group has done and no others proves nothing.

You make the claim, it's on you to prove that claim.

I'm responding to the claim made in the post I am replying to. But I agree, its for him to prove that claim. Let's see if he can.

Is that it "bro"? Go back and compare it to the list I posted up. Those were just incidents from one calendar year as well.

OK, lets cut to the chase. Even if the 'Islam' list is longer than the 'Christianity' list, what is the point you're trying to make?

Doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as the Muslim list to be fair, especially considering your Christian list dates back to the 17th century.

Guy Fawkes - seriously, is that supposed to prove a point?

OK, lets cut to the chase. Even if the 'Islam' list is longer than the 'Christianity' list, what is the point you're trying to make?
Just pointing out where some had got it wrong when they stated that all groups were the same in terms of the terrorist problem we're currently facing.

When you heard there was a terrorist attack in France yesterday, if you hadn't heard the detail, what would you guess the cause behind it was?

Probably that religion as a whole is out-dated and that particular religion is stuck so far in the past it still has a vast majority of oppressive loonies following. It's about time we stopped pandering and faced the facts.

Doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as the Muslim list to be fair, especially considering your Christian list dates back to the 17th century.

Guy Fawkes - seriously, is that supposed to prove a point?

Yep, using Guy Fawkes in comparison to a very, very long list of incidents from 2013 alone kind of proves my point.

Just pointing out where some had got it wrong when they stated that all groups were the same in terms of the terrorist problem we're currently facing.

When you heard there was a terrorist attack in France yesterday, if you hadn't heard the detail, what would you guess the cause behind it was?

Extremism, most likely by someone alleging to do so 'in the name' of Islam. I'm not going to deny that. But the subtle nuance here is that, irrespective of numbers of atrocities, or the fact that at this point in our history, incidents linked to Islam are clearly more commonplace than others, that does not mean that Islam itself needs to be condemned or attacked, nor is directly responsible. Showing intolerance to their religion will only encourage intolerance of ours or our way of life.

Probably that religion as a whole is out-dated and that particular religion is stuck so far in the past it still has a vast majority of oppressive loonies following. It's about time we stopped pandering and faced the facts.

Here's the thing. I broadly agree with you about religion, and I said so earlier. But what is the way forward? To condemn an entire religion, including by association the 99% of it's followers who are peaceful and law-abiding? What will that achieve? If we 'stopped pandering and faced the facts', what DO we actually do? What is a constructive way forward?

Islam is completely backwards and does not fit or integrate with modern society.

What, all 1.6 billion of them? Including the ones that VFTT and others talked about above when they had nothing but positive things to say about their interactions?

I very small, but very violent part of that particular religion is stuck in the past, not all if it.

If terrorism and threats don't work ( as our great and good politicians claim) then why do the BBC editorial guidelines state that " the prophet Mohammed must not be represented in any shape or form" ?

Before the Danish cartoons I had never seen Mohammed represented in anyway, shape, or form and it's always been one of the most insulting things for Muslims so it's no wonder that guidelines reflect that. I'm sure that is the same for most countries & has been for years.

However, since you oft say how you hate the beeb, kudos for finding another stick to beat it with.

No one is. WTF do you keep beating that drum FFS. The Taliban are hardly representative of 1.2bn people.

Thanks, this is becoming the norm now.

KRG is a feminist so lets throw that at him in every discussion. Because apparently saying it's utterly daft to condemn 1.6B people for the actions of less than 0.5% of that populations actions = approval of everything said group does.

Or something. I'll get called Kelly again soon.

If terrorism and threats don't work ( as our great and good politicians claim) then why do the BBC editorial guidelines state that " the prophet Mohammed must not be represented in any shape or form" ?

Not the case, according to one BBC journo on the radio today. He said in an interview that he would be tweeting the cartoon which sparked the murders, then changed his mind. Said it was because BBC rules forbade it, then when the top brass contacted him to say no they don't, go right ahead, he said OK, but I'm still not tweeting them because I'm scared sh*tless. Or words to that effect. The interviewer confirmed later that no such BBC rule or guideline exists.

Anyone living in the Western world in the 21st Century and still following a religion of any description is very much living in the past.

To be fair, my parents still moan at me for blaspheming when I say "Christ!" (or similar) in exclamation to something ... I then moan at them for being out-dated. They haven't shot me yet though.

I'll not disagree to a point I've never believed in sky fairies but I wouldn't say they are living in the past although I know where you're coming from with that statement.
All religion is backward in my eyes. If someone came into your place of work tomorrow, then mid morning, asked to be excused and walked over to the window and mumbled up to the sky for 10 mins, then came and sat back down. Then come lunchtime told you he couldn't eat cheese because the man in the sky and the man in his book told him it was dirty, what would you think of him?

All religion is backward in my eyes. If someone came into your place of work tomorrow, then mid morning, asked to be excused and walked over to the window and mumbled up to the sky for 10 mins, then came and sat back down. Then come lunchtime told you he couldn't eat cheese because the man in the sky and the man in his book told him it was dirty, what would you think of him?

You still haven't answered mintys earlier question about what the answer is to all these nasty Muslims.

You genuinely think that's how people view religion - I'd say it's often a cultural phenomenon with practices that help sustain a community. That can serve some pretty useful functions - notably, allowing individuals to cooperate and come to each other's assistance where mutual distrust might otherwise be the norm.

You genuinely think that's how people view religion - I'd say it's often a cultural phenomenon with practices that help sustain a community. That can serve some pretty useful functions - notably, allowing individuals to cooperate and come to each other's assistance where mutual distrust might otherwise be the norm.

Religion is backwards. Everything I think religious people do is backwards **pulls out bizarre extreme hypothetical**. If people think differently to me, they are backwards and living in the past.

I truly am the tolerant one.

What do you mean "you genuinely think that's how people view religion"? Do people not pray to God? And follow Halal or Kosher etc?

The developed world has gone step, by step away from religion, and quite rightly. Most of the developed world manages quite easily without religion.

Religion is backwards. Everything I think religious people do is backwards **pulls out bizarre extreme hypothetical**. If people think differently to me, they are backwards and living in the past.

I truly am the tolerant one.

Jesus christ, what the hell has saying "religion is out-dated" got to do with being tolerant? No one is saying people can't be "religious" - stop trying to create arguments out of nothing, it's boring.