France: Charlie Hebdo shootings

pap

I obiously agree with it, nice try again :lol:

So you're back-backtracking. :lol:

But, I'll let that slide.

So, why avoid answering the questions about the leprechauns?

It's simple. You either believe that leprechauns control the world from hidden bases at the ends of rainbows, or you don't believe that.

Why are you ducking that question?

Look at the question again.

Anyone reading this, would think it odd that you don't simply answer it.

Surely you know what you believe?

If you need time to think about it, let me know, and I'll get off your case.

I do realise that this is an odd question, but as someone who spends large tracts of his life in pursuit of solitary pleasure (not a euphemism), and living, as you do, vicariously through the acts of people who for 90 minutes every so often play a game, I think you're used to 'odd' things.

I mean, imagine explaining to an 'ignorant' Muslim in, say rural Pakistan, that with all the advantages of western technological advancement and education, you've chosen to spend your time (31 years if taken at a post per day), to commune with others, and break binary bread, to discuss that 'ignorant' Muslim over the Internet with others who 'like' the same team as you in the game of football.

A

****ING

GAME

LOL

:lol:

And you have the temerity to call the Muslim mad or easily influenced by social pressures.

That's right Sour Mash, they're mental - if you're sane.

So, those leprechauns?

Edited by saintbletch
I chose to omit the n from chosen, and I broke the break bread reference..

Serious question - do you guys work or just have jobs that let you toss it off? Strangely jealous that you can debate all day.

Good question, whelk.

I've chosen to spend my 'day-off' posting on an Internet forum to prove that I'm superior to people that follow religion.

It's simple. You either believe that leprechauns control the world from hidden bases at the ends of rainbows, or you don't believe that.

I do realise that this is an odd question, but as someone who spends large tracts of his life in pursuit of solitary pleasure (not a euphemism), and living, as you do, vicariously through the acts of people who for 90 minutes every so often play a game, I think you're used to 'odd' things.

I mean, imagine explaining to an 'ignorant' Muslim in, say rural Pakistan, that with all the advantages of western technological advancement and education, you've chosen to spend your time (31 years if taken at a post per day), to commune with others, and bread binary bread, to discuss that 'ignorant' Muslim over the Internet with others who 'like' the same team as you in the game of football.

A

****ING

GAME

LOL

And you have the temerity to call the Muslim mad or easily influenced by social pressures.

So, those leprechauns?

To be fair, our time would only be spent playing games if utopia -or indeed heaven existed.

http://www.broadviewpress.com/product.php?productid=1857

Edited by shurlock

I mean, imagine explaining to an 'ignorant' Muslim in, say rural Pakistan, that with all the advantages of western technological advancement and education, you've chosen to spend your time (31 years if taken at a post per day), to commune with others, and break binary bread, to discuss that 'ignorant' Muslim over the Internet with others who 'like' the same team as you in the game of football.

A

****ING

GAME

LOL

So, those leprechauns?

This hasn't got to you much has it :lol:

Not the case, according to one BBC journo on the radio today. He said in an interview that he would be tweeting the cartoon which sparked the murders, then changed his mind. Said it was because BBC rules forbade it, then when the top brass contacted him to say no they don't, go right ahead, he said OK, but I'm still not tweeting them because I'm scared sh*tless. Or words to that effect. The interviewer confirmed later that no such BBC rule or guideline exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zKwCZnCW0A

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/01/bbc-restrictions-on-depicting-mohammed-must-be-abolished-says-nss1

This hasn't got to you much has it :lol:

Actually, it has, and I feel shame that I've let it show.

But I'm pleased that I got you to admit that being a follower of a football team, and hoping that they do well is the same as believing and devoutly following the teachings of a man in the sky.

However, I fear that if you don't tell us about your leprechaun beliefs, it's going to cause you problems on here.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, whenever you go into your clever "You haven't answered my (tenuous and distracting) questions" mode, the good people of SaintsWeb will simply ask you if you believe that leprechauns run the world from secret bases at the end of rainbows.

It is odd that you're ducking the question though.

I do respect you (seriously) for sharing your views on here especially as they aren't necessarily always politically correct, but to paraphrase Gervais - I respect your right to believe what you want, but I also have the right to point out how ****ing hypocritical your position is.

It's also mildly disconcerting to see someone who is usually happy to share his views rendered effectively impotent by a leprechaun.

Actually, it has, and I feel shame that I've let it show.

But I'm pleased that I got you to admit that being a follower of a football team, and hoping that they do well is the same as believing and devoutly following the teachings of a man in the sky.

However, I fear that if you don't tell us about your leprechaun beliefs, it's going to cause you problems on here.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, whenever you go into your clever "You haven't answered my (tenuous and distracting) questions" mode, the good people of SaintsWeb will simply ask you if you believe that leprechauns run the world from secret bases at the end of rainbows.

It is odd that you're ducking the question though.

I do respect you (seriously) for sharing your views on here especially as they aren't necessarily always politically correct, but to paraphrase Gervais - I respect your right to believe what you want, but I also have the right to point out how ****ing hypocritical your position is.

It's also mildly disconcerting to see someone who is usually happy to share his views rendered effectively impotent by a leprechaun.

I'm glad to hear the Leprechauns, Elephants and Ted Bates statue are giving you solace whilst Islamic terrorists cause chaos in Paris.

I'm glad to hear the Leprechauns, Elephants and Ted Bates statue are giving you solace whilst Islamic terrorists cause chaos in Paris.

And I'm glad that the fact the terrorists are Islamic gives you some solace, whilst studiously avoiding answering whether you believe that leprechauns run the world from secret bases at the ends of rainbows.

Edited by saintbletch
****ting typo again!

What exactly is Bletchzilla doing to its foe in that image, pap?

It's merely an observation of your posting style, provided through the medium of outmoded cartoons.

I dunno if you remember the Godzilla cartoon, but every week some huge monster would turn up, cause a bit of hassle. Eventually Godzilla (Bletchzilla) would rise from the depths and sort it all out.

Now, I'm sure that if you track down and watch the episode in question you'll determine what exactly is going on, but you'll only get the Godzilla version. This is Bletchzilla, different timeline and universe, so....

Cuddling.

.... I'd imagine this particular pose is more akin to a WWE "sleeper hold". Bletchzilla is gently trying to put his foe down, using non-lethal means.

Sleep, Soursaurus, sleep.

Would be awful if Bletchzilla was the toothless one getting rogered.

Pervert.

It's merely an observation of your posting style, provided through the medium of outmoded cartoons.

I dunno if you remember the Godzilla cartoon, but every week some huge monster would turn up, cause a bit of hassle. Eventually Godzilla (Bletchzilla) would rise from the depths and sort it all out.

Now, I'm sure that if you track down and watch the episode in question you'll determine what exactly is going on, but you'll only get the Godzilla version. This is Bletchzilla, different timeline and universe, so....

.... I'd imagine this particular pose is more akin to a WWE "sleeper hold". Bletchzilla is gently trying to put his foe down, using non-lethal means.

Sleep, Soursaurus, sleep.

Pervert.

Come on, a post from Bletch is like a giant, smothering cuddle...

I think France should apologise for drawing the cartoons that started this.

I havn't seen it said much, but Charlie Hebdo is kinda trashy. It has a history of racism, sexism and homophobia amongst some other things. Granted, it mocks lots of groups without a focus on any specific group - but it has been nasty at times.

This is in no way whatsoever to say or suggest the attack was deserved in any way shape or form.

And no, France or French people shouldn't feel the need to apologise.

I havn't seen it said much, but Charlie Hebdo is kinda trashy. It has a history of racism, sexism and homophobia amongst some other things. Granted, it mocks lots of groups without a focus on any specific group - but it has been nasty at times.

So is Private Eye and Viz. There shouldn't be any sacred cows. Freedom of speech is gradually being eroded in favour of peoples right to not be gratuitously offended.

This is in no way whatsoever to say or suggest the attack was deserved in any way shape or form.

I suspect Batman was being sarcastic, but I'm glad you've riffed on this. Again, I don't condone what has happened, but you'd have to be thick to not understand why this has happened. Charlie Hebdo was engaging in button pushing of the highest order, and after reading about Siné being fired for suggesting that Sarkozy's son would profit from marrying a Jewish heiress, I think that the notion that Charlie Hebdo was fearlessly and indiscriminately bristling at every taboo is a load of crap. Siné was fired from Charlie Hebdo for his cartoon and faced charges in France.

To re-iterate, no condonement - but at the same time - the issue cannot be framed as the inflexibility of Islam vs The West's boundless capacity for free speech on any subject, ever. The latter does not exist.

So is Private Eye and Viz. There shouldn't be any sacred cows. Freedom of speech is gradually being eroded in favour of peoples right to not be gratuitously offended.

Completely agree BTT.

One of the positives that could come out of all this, might be a lack of protection (tacit or explicit) for those sacred cows.

But that won't happen quickly, and they'll be a lot more blood spilled before we get there.

I suspect Batman was being sarcastic, but I'm glad you've riffed on this. Again, I don't condone what has happened, but you'd have to be thick to not understand why this has happened. Charlie Hebdo was engaging in button pushing of the highest order, and after reading about Siné being fired for suggesting that Sarkozy's son would profit from marrying a Jewish heiress, I think that the notion that Charlie Hebdo was fearlessly and indiscriminately bristling at every taboo is a load of crap. Siné was fired from Charlie Hebdo for his cartoon and faced charges in France.

To re-iterate, no condonement - but at the same time - the issue cannot be framed as the inflexibility of Islam vs The West's boundless capacity for free speech on any subject, ever. The latter does not exist.

I don't doubt Batman was being sarcastic. But seems you have to be hyper-explicit, lest you have some ridiculous claim you weren't making be laid at your feet.

As I alluded to above, this is a really interesting debate in of itself. I don't want to go too far down a tangent, as this isn't the place for it. I know we have discussed it briefly before, and I seemed to have a slightly different view to others. I was going to start a thread on a few interesting examples a while back, but it got too long and was a bit too focused on one industry.

I like this. I don't condone these actions from the use of freedom of speech

But.............

Your posts remind me of the time my dog tried to play Trivial Pursuit. She was diverting, knocking the game board about, etc. She still ended up six slices short of a pie when all was said and done, though.

Of course it wasnt deserved, but what they did was certainly ill advised, especially in the wake of the danish comics.

The unfortunate side effect of free speech is the possibility of retailiation. Ill accept that you'll callme an idiot but there is a possibility if you continue to offend ill punch you in the face.

The problem is CH poked a very angry bear where islamic extremism is concerned. Certainly these people are abhorant (the extremists that is) but they clearly wanted a valid target and decided CH was one. Especially after the threats from IS and Al Quaida. That doesnt of course, make things just or excused.

Terrorism in its nature generally appears as small, hard to anticipate attacks that aim to change the way people live their lives. France need to resist that, but more importantly we need to resist a widespread anti islamic canpaign as in the whole that will make matters worse.

Of course it wasnt deserved, but what they did was certainly ill advised, especially in the wake of the danish comics.

The unfortunate side effect of free speech is the possibility of retailiation. Ill accept that you'll callme an idiot but there is a possibility if you continue to offend ill punch you in the face.

The problem is CH poked a very angry bear where islamic extremism is concerned. Certainly these people are abhorant (the extremists that is) but they clearly wanted a valid target and decided CH was one. Especially after the threats from IS and Al Quaida. That doesnt of course, make things just or excused.

Terrorism in its nature generally appears as small, hard to anticipate attacks that aim to change the way people live their lives. France need to resist that, but more importantly we need to resist a widespread anti islamic canpaign as in the whole that will make matters worse.

Aye, if only for the purely selfish view that that is exactly the aim of these attacks. They want a backlash, they want to foster Islamaphobia, they want to harness ill feeling as a recruitment tool.

Obviously, there is the human element to it too. I'll leave it to individuals to decide which reason is best for them.

Edit: Good post btw Smirks