The Streaming Thread

johnnyboy

First Sports mania stream today and it's awful. Stream through Kodi kept stopping taking me back to the main menu. Switched to browser on my computer which is now working but certainly not HD and the audio lag is about a minute.

£26 badly spent so far

Same for me. Had problems when I subscribed for a month at the end of last season, put it down to slow broadband. Have just upgraded to fibre so I'm a bit disappointed with Sports Mania at the moment.

Was carp for me to, I put it down to local network issues until the audio was about 30 seconds behind in which case I suspected something else.... oh well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, given it's still in Beta and hope the PL channels are better come winter.

This is great , however I'm lost!! Can you kindly send me a link of the one on need to buy!!! On Amazon or eBay!! And anything I will need!! Then I will buy it and hope I can work out how to use it!!

Top man thanks

Yes it will.

However, a word of caution to anyone getting either an MX android/openELEC, Kindle Fire or indeed a Raspberry Pi to run Kodi. It isn't a nice user interface. Once you get the hang of it its a breeze. I am into my tech and it took me a few hours to really get to grips with it.

That said, if you are up for doing some youtube research and watching a few videos it will all become very familiar very quickly... just don't expect it to be like an iphone. Put it another way.. my mum can use her iphone and can switch on her laptop and fire up Chrome.... she wouldn't have a f**king clue with kodi or any of the devices that run it.

Don't be put off... youtube is full of excellent videos and sportsmania even has a video on how to setup their addon.

Important things to note:

The box you buy doesn't really matter. MX boxes can run Android and a form of linux called (openELEC). Kindle Fire I'm not sure about and Raspberry Pi can run openELEC and OSMC.

I personally favour openELEC as its linux and is very fast.

Then you have Kodi which is open source software formerly called XBMC which was the media player developed for the XBOX 1 (believe it or not).

You then have repos which is short for repositories. These are generally XML files contained inside ZIP files that are links to the streaming content such as films and t.v. shows.

Inside the repos are addons. It is these addons which you add in order to browse the streaming content available.

I only have an addon called Genesis installed (already mentioned by someone else). It has all the films and t.v. shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc.

I also have the sportsmania addon installed (formerly sportsnationhd) for the football.

That's all I use and all I have installed.

You need a little USB keyboard to interface with the box.

This is the kind of youtube video that will help you understand this better than I can explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3ijoO1rMg

Hope this helps someone as I was clueless when I first got into this. I purchased a pre-installed MX android device to begin with. It was all setup and just needed an hdmi cable. This is a good way to get into it. I have since graduated to custom installs onto a Pi and it really is quite easy once you have a go.

This is great , however I'm lost!! Can you kindly send me a link of the one on need to buy!!! On Amazon or eBay!! And anything I will need!! Then I will buy it and hope I can work out how to use it!!

Top man thanks

Hey MLG, sure no probs.

I got this one last year: http://tinyurl.com/omhw9oh

I also ordered one of these mini keyboards to interact with the box as the remote that comes with the above isn't great IMO: http://tinyurl.com/po5q2p6

You also need an HDMI cable.

This is how I started off. I kind of forced myself into switching to the Raspberry Pi2 because I fecked about with the above box and messed up the install :mcinnes:

I don't think there is an advantage over watching in a web browser verses using kodi and the sportsmania addon.

I used to watch it as you do now only via a laptop connected via hdmi.. Wires everywhere and wife complaining.

I got a little MX Linux box to basically eliminate the laptop. Other than that.. Not much in it.

I don't think there is an advantage over watching in a web browser verses using kodi and the sportsmania addon.

I used to watch it as you do now only via a laptop connected via hdmi.. Wires everywhere and wife complaining.

I got a little MX Linux box to basically eliminate the laptop. Other than that.. Not much in it.

As you say jasonb the main advantage of a pi or an mx box is the there is no need to use the pc and trailing wires in front of the TV. Also you can be on saintsweb looking for pictures of nuns in case of emergency on matchday as the laptop is free.

I can't see any of the 3pm KO BPL channels on Sportsmania ... is it just me?

It's changed you have to go to the calendar page where all the games are listed and what channel is showing them and then go back yo the channel page and click on corresponding channel and your in . It's a bit of a faff but they have so many channels I guess it's easier for them HTH

I found that Sports Nation HD will not work in KODI when you are using Linux as you're OS. Works fine when running under MS Windows.

Finally decided to set Kodi + Sports Mania up today, on a Linux Mint box. I had a problem with playback which meant enabling logs to find out why. Turns out there was a library missing. Solution was:

sudo apt-get install librtmp1

Just thought I would put this here in case it helps you out, grizzly.

No VPN. Vdubt25 has a choice of 1080p 720p or SD.

Yeah, I use those as well along with EPLSite but the quality wasn't really guaranteed and varied between matches.

Bit the bullet and signed up for life membership of SportsMania and very happy so far. Also support has been great when I was at a hotel for the Vitesse game and had issues viewing the stream.

Cheers mate I'll have a go

Hey MLG, sure no probs.

I got this one last year: http://tinyurl.com/omhw9oh

I also ordered one of these mini keyboards to interact with the box as the remote that comes with the above isn't great IMO: http://tinyurl.com/po5q2p6

You also need an HDMI cable.

This is how I started off. I kind of forced myself into switching to the Raspberry Pi2 because I fecked about with the above box and messed up the install :mcinnes:

Yeah, I use those as well along with EPLSite but the quality wasn't really guaranteed and varied between matches.

Bit the bullet and signed up for life membership of SportsMania and very happy so far. Also support has been great when I was at a hotel for the Vitesse game and had issues viewing the stream.

If you're using hotel wifi they throttle the bandwidth so it would probably be unwatchable.

I asked Willow if he was going to add the BT UHD channel yesterday. He hinted "wait until you see the site updates later this weekend!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather he didn't, they seem bandwidth limited enough without adding QHD streams into the mix. Though you could probably guarantee that the bitrate would be minimal to reduce the overhead, so despite a high resolution, the quality would still be on par with YouTube 480p