The Streaming Thread

johnnyboy

Was thinking of getting one of these myself. I'm not exactly tech savvy. Are they easy to use (set up/user friendly etc)?

really easy. Mine came with Kodi pre-loaded.

you have to follow the youtube vid provided on sportsnation to get that fully loaded. does not take long at all.

Gensis app is excellent and has all the films and TV shows you could want. That is already on there

I youtube a few things to get IPTV set up and a few other video apps for Kodi.

Just an HDMI connection to your telly and wireless to your router (mine is connected via an ethernet cable)

the little keypad with mine is pretty good. Charged every now and then via USB. No need for batteries.

this is the one I have. Although, there are loads to chose from

http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-Bonest%C2%AE-Multimedia-Broadcast-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B00S89MUWG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438632347&sr=1-4&keywords=mx3+android+tv+box

Edited by Batman

really easy. Mine came with Kodi pre-loaded.

you have to follow the youtube vid provided on sportsnation to get that fully loaded. does not take long at all.

Gensis app is excellent and has all the films and TV shows you could want. That is already on there

I youtube a few things to get IPTV set up and a few other video apps for Kodi.

Just an HDMI connection to your telly and wireless to your router (mine is connected via an ethernet cable)

the little keypad with mine is pretty good. Charged every now and then via USB. No need for batteries.

this is the one I have. Although, there are loads to chose from

http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-Bonest%C2%AE-Multimedia-Broadcast-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B00S89MUWG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438632347&sr=1-4&keywords=mx3+android+tv+box

Thanks for that. Was also looking at the Amazon Fire stick. MX3 looks more user friendly though. Especially like the keyboard.

I'm basically looking to get movies and box sets and then run sportsmania. Also, I hear there are some add ons to stream live tv. Ivue looks good. Anyone use that?

Interesting , are you saying that this box will enable you to stream saints away matches!?

Yes it will.

However, a word of caution to anyone getting either an MX android/openELEC, Kindle Fire or indeed a Raspberry Pi to run Kodi. It isn't a nice user interface. Once you get the hang of it its a breeze. I am into my tech and it took me a few hours to really get to grips with it.

That said, if you are up for doing some youtube research and watching a few videos it will all become very familiar very quickly... just don't expect it to be like an iphone. Put it another way.. my mum can use her iphone and can switch on her laptop and fire up Chrome.... she wouldn't have a f**king clue with kodi or any of the devices that run it.

Don't be put off... youtube is full of excellent videos and sportsmania even has a video on how to setup their addon.

Important things to note:

The box you buy doesn't really matter. MX boxes can run Android and a form of linux called (openELEC). Kindle Fire I'm not sure about and Raspberry Pi can run openELEC and OSMC.

I personally favour openELEC as its linux and is very fast.

Then you have Kodi which is open source software formerly called XBMC which was the media player developed for the XBOX 1 (believe it or not).

You then have repos which is short for repositories. These are generally XML files contained inside ZIP files that are links to the streaming content such as films and t.v. shows.

Inside the repos are addons. It is these addons which you add in order to browse the streaming content available.

I only have an addon called Genesis installed (already mentioned by someone else). It has all the films and t.v. shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc.

I also have the sportsmania addon installed (formerly sportsnationhd) for the football.

That's all I use and all I have installed.

You need a little USB keyboard to interface with the box.

This is the kind of youtube video that will help you understand this better than I can explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3ijoO1rMg

Hope this helps someone as I was clueless when I first got into this. I purchased a pre-installed MX android device to begin with. It was all setup and just needed an hdmi cable. This is a good way to get into it. I have since graduated to custom installs onto a Pi and it really is quite easy once you have a go.

Edited by jasonb

Slightly off-topic, but has anybody migrated up from Pi to Pi2? Is there any real worthwhile benefit (OSMC/Kodi)?

I am interested in power consumption, as I run my box off the USB socket on the TV set so it switches on and off with the TV remote, and it's pretty marginal on the Pi B+

It runs a dream on both the Pi B+ via ethernet and the Pi2 via wifi in the bedroom. The bedroom one does struggle sometimes with 1080p live events probably as it is via wifi. But I can assure you sportsmania runs on a Linux based system with kodi. As jasonb has said getting a Raspberry Pi up and running is not that hard if you are prepared to to spend some time researching what to do on YouTube. I spent the first month with a laptop and my finger on the pause button, so i could learn how to set upthe raspberry pi. There are good sites out there like seo-michael.co.uk who give step by step instructions on setup. If you join the sportsmania Facebook page the owner Willow is superb at helping people get the best from his site. He will go the extra mile to help you get the stream you deserve.

I've just loaded Kodi for the first time in a long while and updated to the latest version. Problem being now that under all the add ons I have, there is no options at all. It gives the menus but when you ick through, there is nothing showing, just the 3 dots at the top to go back to the previous menu.

Anyone got this too?

I've just loaded Kodi for the first time in a long while and updated to the latest version. Problem being now that under all the add ons I have, there is no options at all. It gives the menus but when you ick through, there is nothing showing, just the 3 dots at the top to go back to the previous menu.

Anyone got this too?

Are you connected to the Internet? I would maybe download a new repo and install from repo.

Are you connected to the Internet? I would maybe download a new repo and install from repo.

Yes connected fine. Think I'll just uninstall Kodi and start from scratch.

Also tried installing the SportsMania add on in the Kodi app on my phone but no joy either

Edit: have reinstalled Kodi and got some working. SportsMania is installed ok.

Is it possible to chromecast Kodi?

Edited by SO16_Saint

I also have the sportsmania addon installed (formerly sportsnationhd) for the football.

Is the Sportsmania worth the fee? I have it installed on my kodi box etc but have been reluctant to purchase a subscription. Are the streams good and stable? Cheers!

Is the Sportsmania worth the fee? I have it installed on my kodi box etc but have been reluctant to purchase a subscription. Are the streams good and stable? Cheers!

sportsmania is definitely worth it, I tried the one day pass last year and then went for the 6 month subscription, I have just renewed it this week. my mates have seen the streams

And have also subscribed this season.

Slightly off-topic, but has anybody migrated up from Pi to Pi2? Is there any real worthwhile benefit (OSMC/Kodi)?

I am interested in power consumption, as I run my box off the USB socket on the TV set so it switches on and off with the TV remote, and it's pretty marginal on the Pi B+

I always found XBMC (via Raspbmc) quite creaky on the Pi and not entirely reliable - it would often hang or lose network connectivity. I have none of the issues with the Pi2 (although it should be noted I'm now running openelec on it) and it's quick, slick and very reliable.

As for power consumption, I'd suspect you'd need to get yourself a decent power supply as the Pi2 is a good deal more power hungry. Very much worth it though imo.

I always found XBMC (via Raspbmc) quite creaky on the Pi and not entirely reliable - it would often hang or lose network connectivity. I have none of the issues with the Pi2 (although it should be noted I'm now running openelec on it) and it's quick, slick and very reliable.

As for power consumption, I'd suspect you'd need to get yourself a decent power supply as the Pi2 is a good deal more power hungry. Very much worth it though imo.

Thanks, that was what I feared. I have a power supply but I don't want to use it. I don't have the hanging or network issues you describe, and OSMC is better than RaspBMC network-wise. It will hop from one WiFi network to another by itself if one goes down. It's very stable on the B+, just a bit slow sometimes.

First Sports mania stream today and it's awful. Stream through Kodi kept stopping taking me back to the main menu. Switched to browser on my computer which is now working but certainly not HD and the audio lag is about a minute.

£26 badly spent so far

Have had a word with Willow hopefully he will sort it, his tem is moving stuff in preparation for Saturday.