Lallana return?

benali-shorts

Who cares anyway. He did a job for us, and I'm grateful for it. He *****ed off in a rather unfortunate manner, so I'm not really bothered about what happens to him now. I cannot imagine any circumstances in which he could possibly return to the club, so to me it's a sterile debate.

Well, if it made you feel good. But the risk to the club was tremendous and we nearly went bankrupt.

The only wish I have is for you to disappear up Hoddles arse for good you deserve each other.

Bankrupt........b/s and you do the last 5 years and the Lebherrs a disservice by your trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they are welcome to one another, Batman! Underachieving Liverpool are pretty much the template for the underachieving FA. Good fit for Lollana!

Agree.

And whilst Woy is still in charge, I don't have any intention to go out of my way to watch England play. Boring, and life's too short to watch boring footie being managed by a dinosaur.

Agree.

And whilst Woy is still in charge, I don't have any intention to go out of my way to watch England play. Boring, and life's too short to watch boring footie being managed by a dinosaur.

I totally agree I get England ticket offers regularly but don't think I have ever felt so disinterested. When we have a manager who picks players on form rather than club how does Delph get in above Cork?? Has he played at all this season?

look forward to tadic cementing himself in the PFA team of the year. good good

How long are you going to use that one to justify lallana's greatness as a footballer? Didn't get any where near the team of the year last season did he?

It looks increasingly like Adams last season with us was a bit of a purple patch that he won't replicate again especially as he seems to be getting more injury prone as every season goes by.

look forward to tadic cementing himself in the PFA team of the year. good good

Lallana has had 1 good season in 3 in the PL, after another non-show this year it will be 1 in 4. We will look back on that 1 good season and see it as a fluke. Tadic did almost as much as him in 3 months as Lallana did in the whole of his good season

Lallana has had 1 good season in 3 in the PL, after another non-show this year it will be 1 in 4. We will look back on that 1 good season and see it as a fluke. Tadic did almost as much as him in 3 months as Lallana did in the whole of his good season

Yep. And Tadic is looking good for this season too.

Who? Tadic?

Lets not kid ourselves.

Lallana averaged a goal every 344 minutes and an assist every 620 minutes during his last season for us. Tadic averages a goal every 381 minutes and an assist every 286 minutes. I understand that Tadic can be frustrating to watch at times but, when played on the left or behind the striker (or basically anywhere other than on the right - don't get me started...), he is a far more productive player than Lallana was. Lallana has always flattered to deceive and his end product has always let him down. He is two-footed and technically gifted, but he doesn't actually impact games enough. At Liverpool he averages an assist every 648 minutes. To give some context to the stats above, last season Rooney averaged an assist every 239 mins, Silva one every 380, cazorla one every 272, hazard one every 375, and fabregas one every 179.

Lallana averaged a goal every 344 minutes and an assist every 620 minutes during his last season for us. Tadic averages a goal every 381 minutes and an assist every 286 minutes. I understand that Tadic can be frustrating to watch at times but, when played on the left or behind the striker (or basically anywhere other than on the right - don't get me started...), he is a far more productive player than Lallana was. Lallana has always flattered to deceive and his end product has always let him down. He is two-footed and technically gifted, but he doesn't actually impact games enough. At Liverpool he averages an assist every 648 minutes. To give some context to the stats above, last season Rooney averaged an assist every 239 mins, Silva one every 380, cazorla one every 272, hazard one every 375, and fabregas one every 179.

but...but...but he got in the PFA team of the year and he does a nice Cruyff turn

Even when he was with us Lallana was more about retaining possession high up the pitch than directly creating or scoring, he was a safe pair of feet to hold the ball and create space for others to do things in. Always seemed to be the pass before the assist, which makes sense if you consider his trickiness draws defenders to him and creates space elsewhere.

Strangely after over a year with Saints and a couple of high profile performances I'm still not sure what Tadic is actually good at.

Even when he was with us Lallana was more about retaining possession high up the pitch than directly creating or scoring, he was a safe pair of feet to hold the ball and create space for others to do things in. Always seemed to be the pass before the assist, which makes sense if you consider his trickiness draws defenders to him and creates space elsewhere.

Strangely after over a year with Saints and a couple of high profile performances I'm still not sure what Tadic is actually good at.

Last season Tadic averaged 2.2 key passes per game and Lallana 0.8.

Also, 'retaining possession' is not really what you're looking for from a creative player/forward is it? Surely you want them to do something with it...? The reason people often get annoyed when watching Tadic (and, to a lesser extent, Mane) is because they give the ball away quite a lot. But that's because they are the two players in our team who are prepared to try something different and not just play the percentage pass every time. Gordon Strachan calls it propaganda football - it's what we did under Pochettino. Barry Bannan can run across the middle third of pitch all day long, passing and receiving the ball to and from either full back, come out with a 95% pass completion rate, but it doesn't mean that he's had a good game. Mane was man of the match on Sunday, but (in the first half especially) he must have given the ball away more than anyone else in our side. But then again he wasn't just passing it five and ten yards sideways - he was trying to make something happen.

Never mind whether we or the board would take him, which is apparent that we wouldn't, would HE want to come back? Would his ego be able to handle coming back 'down' to our level, especially so soon? Maybe towards the end of his career he would accept it, but he probably still thinks he is in his prime and thus above Saints' level. It would take a serious swallowing of pride and a super-sized serving of humble pie to return to St. Mary's.

Perfectly put. Lallana was absolutely fantastic for us. Some unbelievable whitewashing going on here.

Perfectly put. Lallana was absolutely fantastic for us. Some unbelievable whitewashing going on here.

For 2 seasons the rest there was a lot of promise but very little end product. It was only under Poch did we start to see a stronger not easy to knock off the ball player.

He has fantastic ability no doubt but once picked for England had head turned like many others.

Despite his lack of shooting etc he was usually a joy to watch ghosting past the opposition so his leaving was a disappointment but as even Fonte with a new agent is agitating for a new contract / move one tends to lose faith in the modern game. The Prem has gone the same way as F1 with the side effect of weakening the England players chances of development .

For 2 seasons the rest there was a lot of promise but very little end product. It was only under Poch did we start to see a stronger not easy to knock off the ball player.

He has fantastic ability no doubt but once picked for England had head turned like many others.

This. Considering what half our team went on to become, how the f#ck did they not even manage to win L1 or the Champinship? Lallana didn't look anything close to a £20mill player until Pochettino arrived. There was maybe 6 months of football in his last season where he was 'absolutely fantastic for us'.

Quite apart from the bad blood, the fact that he acted like a total ***t etc, I'm not really sure he's good enough to walk into our team anyway.

That said, I might have been tempted to take Rickie back as a squad player/back-up. He left on good terms, could honestly say that it just didn't work out for him at his boyhood club and would have been, at the very least, good cover for Pelle as CF.

That said, I might have been tempted to take Rickie back as a squad player/back-up. He left on good terms, could honestly say that it just didn't work out for him at his boyhood club and would have been, at the very least, good cover for Pelle as CF.

People keep saying this but he was supposed to be good cover for Balotelli last season. It's all well and good talking about how useless Brenda is but they did finish above us. Like it or not they were better than us and Rickie struggled to score there.

1 goal since November.

People keep saying this but he was supposed to be good cover for Balotelli last season. It's all well and good talking about how useless Brenda is but they did finish above us. Like it or not they were better than us and Rickie struggled to score there.

1 goal since November.

Sure...if he'd done brilliantly at Liverpool, he probably wouldn't have left. For whatever reason, it didn't work out for him. He hardly played.

As a back-up centre forward for Saints, he would have been relatively cheap and we could know with some confidence that he'd settle well at the club.

Some players seem to click with some clubs and not others. Eg. Wilfred Zaha seems to be a one club man. Jason Puncheon seems to be very, very good as long as he isn't in a Saints shirt.

Last season Tadic averaged 2.2 key passes per game and Lallana 0.8.

Also, 'retaining possession' is not really what you're looking for from a creative player/forward is it? Surely you want them to do something with it...? The reason people often get annoyed when watching Tadic (and, to a lesser extent, Mane) is because they give the ball away quite a lot. But that's because they are the two players in our team who are prepared to try something different and not just play the percentage pass every time. Gordon Strachan calls it propaganda football - it's what we did under Pochettino. Barry Bannan can run across the middle third of pitch all day long, passing and receiving the ball to and from either full back, come out with a 95% pass completion rate, but it doesn't mean that he's had a good game. Mane was man of the match on Sunday, but (in the first half especially) he must have given the ball away more than anyone else in our side. But then again he wasn't just passing it five and ten yards sideways - he was trying to make something happen.

Mane and Lallana's roles are similar in the sense that they create space for others by drawing players to them. Lallana because defences knew they needed to close him down and prevent him having space or time, Mane because his style often shows the ball to opponents so they go to close him down. Mane creates more directly because his pace gets him away from markers, Lallana usually just passed to someone unmarked nearby when he'd drawn in the defenders.

Very different ball retention (and finishing) skills though.