• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Ok, cool, so if I can blamed for people voting Brexit, can people who actually voted Brexit be blamed for what happens after it?

Pre-vote, I don't remember there being massive amounts of racist calling pre-Brexit, as most Remainers never thought people in this country were that STUPID. But then you watch programs like Jeremy Kyle, look on Social Media and you feel an idiot that you didn't recognise the symptoms.

There was plenty of racist calling. I would imagine that those in areas most effected by mass immigration may have been put off the remain campaign by being labelled racist. Shows a lack of empathy for their situation.

Think this is the end for the Tories, whole thing has been handled like a complete mess. EU don't want to negotiate, so just leave or stay put and call and general election. Then we can get JC in charge and really crank things up to crazy.

EU are interested in hard cash. IF (big IF) the UK walks. that is a huge lot of hard cash they wont get. They are doing everything they can (with help of Blair) to get us to stay.....its what they do

I guess they could tax the greeks a bit more to make up the shortfall if we do walk.

EU are interested in hard cash. IF (big IF) the UK walks. that is a huge lot of hard cash they wont get. They are doing everything they can (with help of Blair) to get us to stay.....its what they do

I guess they could tax the greeks a bit more to make up the shortfall if we do walk.

The cash is irrelevant in the big picture. It’s not a large amount. That’s why it was easiest thing for the UK to concede.

You think? May is in such a weak position now. She gambled everything on her Chequers deal and now it's (pretty much) been rejected, she's a dead woman walking. No way the extremist Brexiters in her party are going to let her stay in post now. She has ruled out a second referendum, so her only hope of clinging to power now is to call another GE.

It’s not the PM’s decision anymore, she can’t tag a confidence vote onto legislation like John Major did to get Maastricht through. She can’t just call a GE because it needs a 2/3rd majority in the house. The only other way to is she has to put down a confidence motion in herself, which Parliament has to pass, however my understanding is that in these circumstances Corbyn could try and form a Government. Either way I can’t really see enough Tory MP’s wanting her to lead the party into a GE again, so it’s doubtful she’ll get the numbers for either option.

Interestingly Michael Portillio mapped out a scenario where he feels there maybe one, but she’d have to give the Brexiters what they want because of the numbers they have. She negotiates something the majority of the Tory party can get behind, a Canada type deal. She can’t get it through Parliament so calls for a vote in Parliament on a GE, Labour will have to back it, so it’ll get the 2/3rd majority. She’ll then run a short single issue campaign, you want to leave the EU then kick out your Remain MP. It would in effect be a vote on her deal, but on a FPTP system which massively favours Leave. Portillo reckons she’ll get an increased majority and get the DUP off her back, which gives more flexibility around the NI border.

Personally don’t think she’s got the balls. She also doesn’t believe in Brexit, so I doubt she’d negotiate the acceptable deal in the first place. So I’m still going for no GE with her in charge. New leader, playing the above Portillio scenario, I can see. Not her though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Who is? Poorer than when? Last Financial crash?

Look, I’m pretty busy, but I’ve summed it up below for you:

- The vote resulted in a sharp fall in the value of the pound as investors lost confidence.

- This has resulted in more expensive imports, including food and fuel.

- We have seen increases in both petrol prices and fuel costs, making people poorer.

- To exacerbate this, these increases have contributed to a higher rate of inflation.

- To combat this inflation, the BoE has increased interest rates, which has in turn increased the cost of mortgages, and increased the cost of rents from Buy to Let properties as Landlords hand down the shortfalls.

- In addition to this, an increase of people selling their houses to safeguard their money, and a lack of confidence in the market has led to a decrease in house prices, with people losing equity and LTV, resulting in more expensive mortgages if they want to move after the above increase rate rises.

- The vote resulted in a sharp fall in the value of the pound as investors lost confidence.

- We have seen increases in both petrol prices and fuel costs, making people poorer.

- To exacerbate this, these increases have contributed to a higher rate of inflation.

- To combat this inflation, the BoE has increased interest rates, which has in turn increased the cost of mortgages, and increased the cost of rents from Buy to Let properties as Landlords hand down the shortfalls.

- In addition to this, an increase of people selling their houses to safeguard their money, and a lack of confidence in the market has led to a decrease in house prices, with people losing equity and LTV, resulting in more expensive mortgages if they want to move after the above increase rate rises.

UK house prices rose by 3.1% in the year to July 2018

Someone is not telling the truth

Same symptoms of the last crash, 8-10 year cycle. End.

*Sigh*

You're just not getting it are you. This is why I know I'm better than you.

I'm getting it, you don't know and have no answers. That's what i "get". You are not better than anyone else on this planet, just a mere spec in the grand scheme of things, one that is poorer.

You are the exact reason people voted leave or don't vote. . Sad really.

Edited by Cabbage_Face

I'm getting it, you don't know and have no answers. That's what i "get". You are not better than anyone else on this planet, just a mere spec in the grand scheme of things, one that is poorer.

I have given you answers, I have given you what has happened. Just because you haven't seen the effects personally does not mean we are not poorer as a country.

https://www.ft.com/content/cf51e840-7147-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9

I think getting poorer is something that you only really notice if you are poor. For instance, I know I'm paying more for fuel and gas now, as well as food, as I would assume pretty much everyone in the country is, including yourself. Now, you may have been lucky and got another McDonald's star (as an example), but that doesn't mean in real terms you are better off.

What has made you better off since Brexit?

I have given you answers, I have given you what has happened. Just because you haven't seen the effects personally does not mean we are not poorer as a country.

I think getting poorer is something that you only really notice if you are poor. For instance, I know I'm paying more for fuel and gas now, as well as food, as I would assume pretty much everyone in the country is, including yourself. Now, you may have been lucky and got another McDonald's star (as an example), but that doesn't mean in real terms you are better off.

I think you need to leave London

Ok lets take fuel as an example, in 2012 it was 142p for Unleaded and 148p for Diesel. Currently we are 131 ish for Unleaded and 134ish for diesel, 2009 we had 85p and 97p, 2016 100p and 101p. Totally normal.

Food shop in Aldi.

Im not better off or worse off, i'm the same, i cut my cloth accordingly.

Ok lets take fuel as an example, in 2012 it was 142p for Unleaded and 148p for Diesel. Currently we are 131 ish for Unleaded and 134ish for diesel, 2009 we had 85p and 97p, 2016 100p and 101p. Totally normal.

Im not better off or worse off, i'm the same, i cut my cloth accordingly.

How much was it pre-Brexit vote compared to now? Also, how much was oil a barrel at that point compared to now. We should be paying around 30% less for our fuel than we are now, considering the cost of a barrel of oil and our current exchange rate.

You cut your cloth accordingly - that doesn't mean you're not poorer. You do know that?

How much was it pre-Brexit vote compared to now? Also, how much was oil a barrel at that point compared to now. We should be paying around 30% less for our fuel than we are now, considering the cost of a barrel of oil and our current exchange rate.

You cut your cloth accordingly - that doesn't mean you're not poorer. You do know that?

So why in 2012 was it so high? We were in the loving arms of the EU at this point?

Not at all, im not poorer. I'm the same. I'll let you know if this changes. Of course when something big like Brexit happens, the world reacts prices go up and change very quickly, especially when we have scaremongering.

So why in 2012 was it so high? We were in the loving arms of the EU at this point?

Not at all, im not poorer. I'm the same. I'll let you know if this changes. Of course when something big like Brexit happens, the world reacts prices go up and change very quickly, especially when we have scaremongering.

The cost of a barrel of oil. In 2012 it was $103. Now it's $69.

What do you think has made that difference? I'll give you a clue - it's in my post explaining why the country is poorer.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction