• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Why? because they're sticking to what they have always said? You're either in the single market and play by the rules or you're not. You cant have single market with one country wanting play by different rules and wanting a different court to decide disputes.

We can have a third country free trade agreement, we can be an associate ala Norway or we can be a member. All easy quickly deliverable options. Its just the f'kin deluded May Government and the Brexiteers that think we're somehow entitled to demand whatever we want no matter the implications for the other 27 and if they don't give in to us then they're being dictatorial.

As I've always said, we'll just end up paying a bit more than the bus figure for a decent trade deal. This is just one big punishment to the idiots that voted 'Leave'.

If there is no deal and it's a disaster then the EU have let the people of Europe down as much as the Tories have let the UK down.

The whole mess was so avoidable, all the British people wanted was some control over who comes into their country, thats a basic democratic right and when Brussels told Cameron to get lost they made Brexit inevitable. They put political dogma over the democratic rights of the people they were supposed to be working for, there is no reason why the EU cannot work with every country having some control of immigration - if the country decides it needs it.

Short term the safest thing to do would be to have another referendum and reverse the whole thing but that would be so dangerous long-term. Looks like were just going to have to crack on with a hard Brexit.

If there is no deal and it's a disaster then the EU have let the people of Europe down as much as the Tories have let the UK down.

The whole mess was so avoidable, all the British people wanted was some control over who comes into their country, thats a basic democratic right and when Brussels told Cameron to get lost they made Brexit inevitable. They put political dogma over the democratic rights of the people they were supposed to be working for, there is no reason why the EU cannot work with every country having some control of immigration - if the country decides it needs it.

Short term the safest thing to do would be to have another referendum and reverse the whole thing but that would be so dangerous long-term. Looks like were just going to have to crack on with a hard Brexit.

Your favourite basic democratic right is to not be arsed with voting, correct?

Absolutely no chance of that happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think? May is in such a weak position now. She gambled everything on her Chequers deal and now it's (pretty much) been rejected, she's a dead woman walking. No way the extremist Brexiters in her party are going to let her stay in post now. She has ruled out a second referendum, so her only hope of clinging to power now is to call another GE.

Yet in 2017 of the 9.4 million people leaving in the UK who weren't born here 5.7 million weren't from the EU the British government had plenty of control over non EU immigrants if it wanted it.

Also if the only reason to leave the EU was migration its a bit of a waste of time it would seem

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/16/migration-rises-non-eu-workers-make-fall-eu-arrivals/

The whole mess could have been avoided if Cameron had realised that the threat from UKIP was not as bad as he feared and that Labour heartlands all over the country were losing support to Farage and co too.

Increasingly can see a 2nd referendum being arranged and the last 2 years being a giant waste of time and energy. 2 years that could have been spent trying to fix Social care, the justice system etc.

You think? May is in such a weak position now. She gambled everything on her Chequers deal and now it's (pretty much) been rejected, she's a dead woman walking. No way the extremist Brexiters in her party are going to let her stay in post now. She has ruled out a second referendum, so her only hope of clinging to power now is to call another GE.

TBF, we were told this a year ago and she's still here. She'll still be here this time next year as well I would have thought.

The whole mess could have been avoided if Cameron had realised that the threat from UKIP was not as bad as he feared and that Labour heartlands all over the country were losing support to Farage and co too.

Increasingly can see a 2nd referendum being arranged and the last 2 years being a giant waste of time and energy. 2 years that could have been spent trying to fix Social care, the justice system etc.

There won't be a second referendum - we're going to hell in a handcart and we deserve it, because 52% of the country are racist morons who'll believe anything you tell them, as long as you call 'ping pong', 'Wiff-Waff' and like a pint of ale and a fag.

There won't be a second referendum - we're going to hell in a handcart and we deserve it, because 52% of the country are racist morons who'll believe anything you tell them, as long as you call 'ping pong', 'Wiff-Waff' and like a pint of ale and a fag.

I always suspected you were a bit of a bellend. This confirms it.

Mess. Not sure how you jump to that conclusion.

Interesting read on what legal ramifications Brexit could have...

http://www.keepcalmtalklaw.co.uk/can-foreign-investors-sue-the-uk-for-billions-over-brexit/

More scaremongering ****e. The simple FACT is, no one knows what will or won't happen, do they? They can all sit there and guess, make up things like the rain will fall upwards after we leave or the NHS will be able to build gold plated hospitals, but the 100% FACT is know one has a single idea what will happen. The other FACT is we as the people of the United Kingdom, democratically, voted to leave the EU, doesn't matter the percentage or how it happened, it happened. So just leave and stop whining like little girls/boys/helicopters or nothing as you are gender fluid.

END.

More scaremongering ****e. The simple FACT is, no one knows what will or won't happen, do they? They can all sit there and guess, make up things like the rain will fall upwards after we leave or the NHS will be able to build gold plated hospitals, but the 100% FACT is know one has a single idea what will happen. The other FACT is we as the people of the United Kingdom, democratically, voted to leave the EU, doesn't matter the percentage or how it happened, it happened. So just leave and stop whining like little girls/boys/helicopters or nothing as you are gender fluid.

END.

But Liverpool will score around the 15 minute mark and the rout will go from there :lol:

Stay in the slow lane, little fella.

END.

I love this reasoning, the "just accept it" argument, no matter that there is a chance that the economic stability post Brexit is likely cause a lot of struggle for a lot of people, mainly the poorest in society.

Why would people take that risk, that's what I don't understand? Maybe someone can tell me why it is a risk worth taking.

As you say though, it was voted for, so we should just accept it. Thank God people like Mandela didn't stand for the rubbish you're spouting.

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1042840033030561793

Alternative view from EU27 side of Salzburg newsroom is 'what else did you expect?' Bemused by all the fuss & point out (correctly) EU leaders haven't actually said anything today they haven't said via Barnier many times before. UK & EU at cross purposes 'like Venus & Mars'.

EU source backs up this point of view saying Member States felt everything coming to a head today over Chequers ‘was coming and was necessary’. They add that perception UK was courting Viktor Orban’s populist government may have been ‘the final straw’ for other leaders.

So, the Tories' support for Orban's government in order to curry favour for a better Brexit deal has backfired. I mean, who could possibly have predicted that voting against the majority of the EU was going to p*ss them off more than impress them? :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1042840033030561793

So, the Tories' support for Orban's government in order to curry favour for a better Brexit deal has backfired. I mean, who could possibly have predicted that voting against the majority of the EU was going to p*ss them off more than impress them? :rolleyes:

Doubt it made any difference, this was never the deal we were going to get. The EU wants to punish the country for being so ****ing stupid, and rightly so.

I love this reasoning, the "just accept it" argument, no matter that there is a chance that the economic stability post Brexit is likely cause a lot of struggle for a lot of people, mainly the poorest in society.

Why would people take that risk, that's what I don't understand? Maybe someone can tell me why it is a risk worth taking.

As you say though, it was voted for, so we should just accept it. Thank God people like Mandela didn't stand for the rubbish you're spouting.

Thanks, glad we agree. Your life will not be effected by this, unless you are a millionaire of course, then you probably should panic.

Can you show me concrete evidence that there will be economic instability after Brexit, i can show you it whilst we were still in the EU, I can show you countries that have or are going bust whilst in the EU.

If you are happy to be governed by something that none of the normal people elect, then you carry on.

Edited by Cabbage_Face

Thanks, glad we agree. Your life will not be effected by this, unless you are a millionaire of course, then you probably should panic.

I actually think personally it will be good for me due to the industry I am in, but I'm not into the whole "I'm alright Jack" thing at the moment, especially as my kids will continue to grow up here. Luckily I got my ducks in a row very early on after the vote, but a lot of people are struggling already. But that's fine, as long as we don't have to accept all them people who speak a bit differently and wash our cars.

I assume that due to the fact you supported apartheid you also voted Brexit. Fits the stereotype.

Doubt it made any difference, this was never the deal we were going to get. The EU wants to punish the country for being so ****ing stupid, and rightly so.

Behave with this silly language. The EU is simply following its own rules (that the UK helped shape) and offering the same type of deal it offers others in light of the UK’s red lines. It’s acting consistently, not arbitrarily, never mind ad hominem. Once the UK set out it’s redlines, those options shrank drastically. The more pertinent question is why the UK feels the rules don’t apply to it.

Behave with this silly language. The EU is simply following its own rules (that the UK helped shape) and offering the same type of deal it offers others in light of the UK’s red lines. It’s acting consistently, not arbitrarily, never mind ad hominem. Once the UK set out it’s redlines, those options shrank drastically. The more pertinent question is why the UK feels the rules don’t apply to it.

I don't disagree - it seems mad that we think it shouldn't apply. I think the punishment will come with what we pay for the access, and what is contained within that access. They need to stop other member states doing this.

I don't disagree - it seems mad that we think it shouldn't apply. I think the punishment will come with what we pay for the access, and what is contained within that access. They need to stop other member states doing this.

The EU has already said that a Norway-type deal is on the table in which case the UK would pay in a similar amount. Frankly the money is secondary to the EU. More important is protecting the integrity of the single market and the four freedoms. If anything UK would love things to be about money if it meant by paying in more it could retain the parts of the single market it likes while avoiding the parts -FoM, role of the ECJ etc- it doesn’t.

Yet in 2017 of the 9.4 million people leaving in the UK who weren't born here 5.7 million weren't from the EU the British government had plenty of control over non EU immigrants if it wanted it.

Also if the only reason to leave the EU was migration its a bit of a waste of time it would seem

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/16/migration-rises-non-eu-workers-make-fall-eu-arrivals/

Not saying it's right or wrong but I think concerns on immigration was by far the biggest reason for people voting Brexit. The average person doesn't give a ****e about trade deals they were just fed up with being behind a foreigner in the queue for a doctor/house/school place.

I fail to see why countries cannot have their own immigration rules if they want them and be part of the EU, if mass uncontrolled immigration is such a positive then surely any controls would be short lived anyway?

This talk of 'punishment' is yet more evidence of how little we in the UK even understand about what the EU is. It is not a state, and not even a superstate. It is a legal order which exists entirely through agreed treaties between the member countries. Without those treaties it is nothing.

Those treaties set out the strict rules of conduct, if you will, that those members must follow. While there's some wiggle room for opt outs (and we're not the only ones not in the Eurozone), these rules establish above all the 'four freedoms' on which the whole economy within the EU works, as well as a common regulatory framework. Anything else and those treaties fail.

So it's not for the EU, or individual members, to say that we can set aide one of those freedoms just for the sake of a 'deal'. Nor can we demand access to the 'good bits' of the EU and discard the 'bad bits' (despite this being the whole premise of the leave campaign). May, the Brexit Jihadists and even the Labour party have treated the whole thing as a transactional negotiation. It isn't. It's about squaring our 'needs' (whatever that might mean) with the rules of the EU.

If we'd adopted that approach at the beginning, we wouldn't be staring into the abyss now. We'd have opted for Norway + customs union, at worst.

But we are where we are, and the British people are going to have to take the hit for May's ignorance and for the leading Brexiteers' hardly secret desires to massively reduce the welfare state, along US Republican lines. What the Jihadists don't say - because they lied about it on the bus - is that the biggest target of all is the NHS, which American private health companies have had their beady eyes on, and who've been negotiating with Dr Fox ever since his appointment.

Not saying it's right or wrong but I think concerns on immigration was by far the biggest reason for people voting Brexit. The average person doesn't give a ****e about trade deals they were just fed up with being behind a foreigner in the queue for a doctor/house/school place.

I fail to see why countries cannot have their own immigration rules if they want them and be part of the EU, if mass uncontrolled immigration is such a positive then surely any controls would be short lived anyway?

Did you read the Migration Advisory Committee report pal? Or is it your usual fingers in ears claptrap? The UK secured an opt-out from Schengen and has chosen not to take advantage of the flexibilities it enjoys under FoM rules. Fair enough you want more control even if you’re in denial of the evidence about its likely consequences.

Edited by shurlock

The EU has already said that a Norway-type deal is on the table in which case the UK would pay in a similar amount. Frankly the money is secondary to the EU. More important is protecting the integrity of the single market and the four freedoms. If anything UK would love things to be about money if it meant by paying in more it could retain the parts of the single market it likes while avoiding the parts -FoM, role of the ECJ etc- it doesn’t.

Exactly, and what's the bet that the Norway deal cost is £351m per week...

Graham Hughes:

When we started #3Blokes we thought we could provide a service that nobody else seems to be doing: educating people on what #Brexit really means.

I never dreamed we'd end up meeting some of the most important people from some of the world's most powerful organisations, and being educated ourselves. In no uncertain terms.

I thought we knew a lot about Brexit. And, to be fair, we do understand more than most. But we've just been scratching the surface.

MAKE NO MISTAKE: Brexit will be worse than anyone who voted for it could possibly imagine.

The people we spoke to this week in Geneva and Brussels left us shaken. At one point Jason actually burst into tears.

These people have the data. They have the lawyers. They have the experts. They've done the modelling, worked through every scenario; all possible outcomes.

It's bad. It's really really bad. Like, terminal cancer bad.

My fellow Brits, please, LISTEN. I know the Brexit vote made you feel good, and you actually got to make a difference for the first time in your life, but this ISN'T A GAME. If we don't stop this there won't be a rematch. It's over. All of it.

If you no longer feel that Brexit is a good idea (clue: it isn't), it's time to stand up and be counted. The future of our incredible nation depends on it.

Graham Hughes:

When we started #3Blokes we thought we could provide a service that nobody else seems to be doing: educating people on what #Brexit really means.

I never dreamed we'd end up meeting some of the most important people from some of the world's most powerful organisations, and being educated ourselves. In no uncertain terms.

I thought we knew a lot about Brexit. And, to be fair, we do understand more than most. But we've just been scratching the surface.

MAKE NO MISTAKE: Brexit will be worse than anyone who voted for it could possibly imagine.

The people we spoke to this week in Geneva and Brussels left us shaken. At one point Jason actually burst into tears.

These people have the data. They have the lawyers. They have the experts. They've done the modelling, worked through every scenario; all possible outcomes.

My fellow Brits, please, LISTEN. I know the Brexit vote made you feel good, and you actually got to make a difference for the first time in your life, but this ISN'T A GAME. If we don't stop this there won't be a rematch. It's over. All of it.

If you no longer feel that Brexit is a good idea (clue: it isn't), it's time to stand up and be counted. The future of our incredible nation depends on it.

Sounds a bit hysterical tbh.

Graham Hughes:

:mcinnes:

Moron's like you labelling anyone with concerns over immigration as racist is probably why so many dug their heals in and voted for it. Well done.

Ok, cool, so if I can blamed for people voting Brexit, can people who actually voted Brexit be blamed for what happens after it?

Pre-vote, I don't remember there being massive amounts of racist calling pre-Brexit, as most Remainers never thought people in this country were that STUPID. But then you watch programs like Jeremy Kyle, look on Social Media and you feel an idiot that you didn't recognise the symptoms.

Graham Hughes:

:lol:

Ok, cool, so if I can blamed for people voting Brexit, can people who actually voted Brexit be blamed for what happens after it?

Pre-vote, I don't remember there being massive amounts of racist calling pre-Brexit, as most Remainers never thought people in this country were that STUPID. But then you watch programs like Jeremy Kyle, look on Social Media and you feel an idiot that you didn't recognise the symptoms.

You really do think you are better than everyone don't you? I think thats the slogan of Remain lot. #betterthanyoulot

I think I'm better than some. I know I'm better than you. Big difference.

Please elaborate, or is this information you've gathered from made up sources?

"It stimulates the part of the brain called "Shatner's Bassoon" and that's the bit of the brain that deals with time perception. So, a second feels like a month. "

Edited by Cabbage_Face

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction