Fans Forum

Batman

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Don t agree on 2 things:

- Subs does he prefer tired players For 5-10 mins or to concede? Because not subbing earlier is costing us goals and points. We could even be higher in the table

- Ward Prowse not wanting to take the penalty is a weak mentality.

if he had a winning mentality, he would want to make amends for his earlier mistake.

Strange comments about jwp when Ings has taken the last 4 pens saints have got.

2 minutes ago, Monk said:

I'm going to hazard a guess at, they want Ings but not Bertrand (or on the terms he's requested)

I thought the same from listening to that. Ultimately Ings is irreplaceable for a club our size, Bertrand less so, although a replacement would come at considerable cost seeing as Bertrand would leave for free.

16 minutes ago, LeG said:

I've always wondered why Ralph subs so late in the game. At first I was critical, but on reflection, I came to the conclusion that he doesn't 100pc trust the bench. First time we've had a strong bench (vs Brighton) and the subbing was spot on. 

Look at the options he’s had up until then, unproven kids and has Been’s in the main. No wonder he doesn’t bring them on

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

I thought the same from listening to that. Ultimately Ings is irreplaceable for a club our size, Bertrand less so, although a replacement would come at considerable cost seeing as Bertrand would leave for free.

Bertrand will be 32 at the start of next season and plays in a position where pace and stamina are very important, two of the first attributes to decline with age. We will need to replace him soon, new contract or not, and at his age any potential transfer fee wouldn't be much anyway.

4 hours ago, Cartman said:

Bertrand will be 32 at the start of next season and plays in a position where pace and stamina are very important, two of the first attributes to decline with age. We will need to replace him soon, new contract or not, and at his age any potential transfer fee wouldn't be much anyway.

If he signed a new contract I have no doubt we could find a promoted side or lower team that would pay £10million or more for him, regardless of age.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wonder if the sticking point is Bertrand wants 3 years to see him through to 35 (and possibly the end of his playing career) and the club are only offering 2 years as with Long.

Its a very valid point about him needing to be replaced, or at least have serious competition, in the next 18 months or so. I guess thats why Ralph seems so keen on Williams at United.   

36 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If Bertrand doesn’t sign, do we have any regrets in letting Matty Targett go?

I know we used that money to bring in Che Adams who was a greater need at the time. I do wonder if Bertrand’s eventual replacement will be below Targett’s level. 

To be fair I was underwhelmed when we signed Bertrand and KWP but both have proved to be astute signings (okay maybe a little early for KWP but v positive early signs).

We may struggle to find somebody who will provide the consistency Bertrand has over his time with us but I'd have faith in our current set up to identify a decent replacement. Since Ralph and the shuffling of the deck higher up our transfer business has become more hit then miss. We do seem to be sniffing around Williams and Vokins has looked okay (albeit a bit raw) in his cameos. 

2 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

To be fair I was underwhelmed when we signed Bertrand and KWP but both have proved to be astute signings (okay maybe a little early for KWP but v positive early signs).

We may struggle to find somebody who will provide the consistency Bertrand has over his time with us but I'd have faith in our current set up to identify a decent replacement. Since Ralph and the shuffling of the deck higher up our transfer business has become more hit then miss. We do seem to be sniffing around Williams and Vokins has looked okay (albeit a bit raw) in his cameos. 

Totally agree re initial feelings when Bertrand and KWP were signed. Bertrand ended up being better for us than Shaw has been at United and is very consistent. KWP is showing a lot of promise and really suits Ralph’s system.

Can’t help but think Targett will go on to be a player more than good enough to be our first choice LB, but we couldn’t expect him to keep sitting on the bench when he had the opportunity to be a first choice PL LB elsewhere. Our finances mean we needed to sell to buy Adams too, which is the reality of our current limitations.

I’ve not seen enough of Vokins to be convinced yet. Like with Targett it would be a pleasure to see another academy graduate make the grade. Williams is right footed and can play both LB and RB, but I think I’d rather have Targett than Williams for his natural left foot and academy sentiment.

Ultimately we could end up regretting selling Targett in hindsight but the fee for the time was a very good offer for us and we needed the money.

I think Bertrands value to the team and the squad is understed in many quarters. I like him alot and think he has been a very sound performer. 

That said I do not think he is Ralph's "ideal" left back. I would think he wants a left back more in the mould of KWP, faster, more energetic and more skillful than Ryan. 

If he signs a new 2 year deal that would be great though andbring in his replacement, and allow time for the evolution.  

• Like 1