Carabao Cup 2020/21

SaintBobby

Am yet to see any hard facts on how the League Cup will operate next season. Some reports suggest that teams in European competition will not participate or will be allowed to field development/academy teams.

A bit odd that there seems no confirmation on this given there are suggestions that the first round will be played before the Premier League restart one September 12th. With only around 3 weeks to go, I’d have thought they’d have resolved who is actually entering the Cup.

If the competition is “downgraded” might that actually be a reason for Saints to take it much more seriously? You can imagine we might be amongst the three or four favourites to win it. I gather that it no longer comes with a Europa League spot, but it’s still silverware. Sort of like a beefed up version of the JPT.

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Where have you seen that? 🤔

It’s now linked to the new third tier European competition - the conference league or whatever. Which sounds a bit like the Intertoto Cup in terms of excitement (we would be unlikely to be playing Inter Milan etc, but rather teams from much smaller leagues)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFL_Cup

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I heard a rumour that there were serious considerations to 'pause' the completion this season, as well as the 'Checkatrade' or whatever it's called now.

That would surely raise some pretty big financial issues - both for lower division clubs who want more games not fewer and presumably repaying the sponsor in full (I guess they might still have to pay a % back if the competition is diminished).

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I heard a rumour that there were serious considerations to 'pause' the completion this season, as well as the 'Checkatrade' or whatever it's called now.

Thank goodness that Checkatrade final didn’t get played, had they won it that lot down the road would have been on about holding the cup longer than anyone else if that’s the case 🙄

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Oh hell yeah they did didn’t they? 😏

They already have form for this, holding the FA cup either side of WWII. If 40 million deaths between Cup Finals then weren't enough to embarrass  them then.  I doubt hundreds of thousands will bother them this time. 

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/202021-season-dates-confirmed-across-the-efl/

The 2020/21 competition has seen a number of significant scheduling changes with two legged semi-finals being replaced by a single tie and the first four rounds scheduled to take place on consecutive weeks, kicking off in early September.

Round One fixtures are scheduled to take place on Saturday 5 September, but due to the international window may be played on alternative dates.  Rounds Two, Three and Four will be played on consecutive midweeks dates starting 15/16 September.

Premier League sides will enter the competition in Round Two or Round Three if they are competing in European competition in season 2020/21.

The Draw for the Round One will take place on Sky Sports News on Tuesday 18 August 2020, time TBC.  

As per the previous two seasons, the Round One draw will be divided into a northern and southern section but will remain unseeded. 

The dates for the 2020/21 Carabao Cup are as follows:

Round One

-        5 September 2020 (alternative dates may apply)

Round Two

-       15/16 September 2020

Round Three

-       22/23 September 2020

Round Four

-       29/30 September 2020

Round Five

-       22/23 December 2020

Semi-Finals

-       5/6 January 2021 (tie to be played at the venue of Club drawn out first)

Final

-       28 February 2021

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

So a double hit for smaller clubs. No money-spinning replays and halved prize money. How do they justify the latter?

No sensible club should be budgeting for any cup money, let alone replay money. The reduction in prize money is probably due to the FA having had a big hit on their income as is stated in the article 'because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic'.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

In other cup news... no FA Cup replays in 2020/21

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53765807

Carabao Cup - I realise there are extenuating circumstances this coming season but the three month gap between 4th and 5th round seems absurd to me given the tight scheduling of the earlier rounds.

FA Cup - no replays - again specific circumstances, but this is probably the opportunity those wanting to downgrade the competition (big 4 -6 mainly, who inevitably go on to win it anyway), have craved. Be pleasantly surprised if replays are brought back 2021-22 season, using the ridiculous timing of the World Cup as an excuse.

On 13/08/2020 at 15:20, Badger said:

Carabao Cup - I realise there are extenuating circumstances this coming season but the three month gap between 4th and 5th round seems absurd to me given the tight scheduling of the earlier rounds.

FA Cup - no replays - again specific circumstances, but this is probably the opportunity those wanting to downgrade the competition (big 4 -6 mainly, who inevitably go on to win it anyway), have craved. Be pleasantly surprised if replays are brought back 2021-22 season, using the ridiculous timing of the World Cup as an excuse.

We don t need replays for the cup, its a pain in the ass for everyone and detrimental to cup upsets