Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread

Lighthouse

51 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I would have thought that the reality is he'd be benched for weeks until Ralph has him drilled. Which would give him a few games to earn a transfer (similar to KWP). Any loan deal the club would make is likely to have an option to buy in. Whether United and Brandon would accept all of that is anyone's guess. Ditto whether we can realistically afford a reasonably priced player right now?

It is a shame we weren't able to get him last summer, as he'd have had a full pre season with us and certainly have been part of the action given all the congestion, injuries and suspensions.

That being the case, I really can't see United agreeing to loan him to us. Surely from the player and clubs point of view they are looking at getting minutes on the pitch. How much game time are we able to provide him? If we assume that Bertie is first choice at left back, how does he fit in? It's not like last season when Valery was piss poor and that KWP was an absolute upgrade pretty much straight away. I guess it all hinges on whether Bertie signs the contract offer. Possibly bringing in another left back puts pressure on him to sign, which is again dependent on what other offers he has received. Would assume that a few clubs in our own bracket would consider him a viable option for at least a couple of years.

14 hours ago, trousers said:

Since when did Arsenal turn into an intense high pressing team? Was that just to counteract us this evening or is that how they're going to play for the rest of the season..? 

Standard fare for stopping teams that press, "Get into them". It shows that Arteta learned something from the cup game. It could be a way forward for Arsenal, but teams with plenty of skilful "top end" players often don't take to it. Guardiola has used that approach both at Barcelona and Man City to a greater or lesser degree. Working hard isn't an inhibitor to skilful play, but the attitude of the top players is often an inhibitor to hard work though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Ever since the first rumblings about his contract started - not coincidentally around the time of his first injury this season - he's played with no smile on his face, moaning more at his teammates than applauding their effort or encouraging like he used to. Sick of seeing it to be honest, his mind is obviously made up about leaving.

You are probably right but while Southampton still pay his wages he needs to put all he's got into this club. 

3 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Just like anyone trying to do everything because they are good at it no one ever notices because they are use to it having been done already. Even last night when an attack broke down he was outside the Arsenal box, but then suddenly appears between or behind Jan and Jack as if he has been there all along. I've noted that of him in a few games where he is on one side of the pitch then almost in the blink of an eye he is over on the other side of the pitch breaking up play. 

I think if he gets broken everyone will realise what he does in games, because a big black hole will appear in midfield. 

Totally agree. He's been immense this season, and if you can't see that I can't help you. The minutes on the pitch, the amount of ground covered, the consistency are all staggering. Not to mention of course the one aspect of his game in which we as a club have a genuinely world-class player - his free kicks. And he reached the landmark of 300 games last night. Keep it up Prowsey! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Ever since the first rumblings about his contract started - not coincidentally around the time of his first injury this season - he's played with no smile on his face, moaning more at his teammates than applauding their effort or encouraging like he used to. Sick of seeing it to be honest, his mind is obviously made up about leaving.

Oh my word.... 🙄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kyle04 said:

Expected to struggle with such a poor back up squad,  defensively a shambles and toothless going forward. Arsenal are improving but were quite average. RH conceded after 80 minutes taking Ings and Walcott off I think. Totally disheartening performance, we looked tired, sloppy and disjointed. We have absolutely no quality outside the first team, and why we kept trying to play out (unsuccessfully) from our own 6 yard box all evening baffled me.

Probably because with 3 of our starting back 4 missing , we lacked the quality and ability to do anything else 

13 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Ings may be suffering from after effects of Cov19 plus mental pressure due to contract negotiations and transfer speculation as well as lack of service up front. Players seem to struggle on the pitch when in the thick of contract talks esp if there is a chance they may leave at some point .

COVID 19 is nasty (understatement of the thread) and it can debilitate anyone - even young fit footballers. If Danny was still suffering the after effects then it is no surprise that he was not at his sharpest

14 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What effects? Did he even have any?

if the club deem him fit to play, as well as the player himself, we have to assume C19 is not an issue

No we don't. We don't assume anything. Have you never played any sport when you weren't at 100%?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, St_Tel49 said:

COVID 19 is nasty (understatement of the thread) and it can debilitate anyone - even young fit footballers. If Danny was still suffering the after effects then it is no surprise that he was not at his sharpest

6 hours ago, suewhistle said:

No we don't. We don't assume anything. Have you never played any sport when you weren't at 100%?

I think with the club sports scientists etc. If Ings wasn’t fit enough, they’d know and he wouldn’t be playing. Whether being fit enough is 100% is another matter. 

8 hours ago, St_Tel49 said:

Stop listening to Jeremy Vine.

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Stop listening to Jeremy Vine.

Don’t need to listen can see it from my 26 year old daughter who usually  runs half marathons and now struggles to run a mile post Covid. Not saying it’s what’s wrong with Danny but he wasn’t making the runs he usually does.

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Don’t need to listen can see it from my 26 year old daughter who usually  runs half marathons and now struggles to run a mile post Covid. Not saying it’s what’s wrong with Danny but he wasn’t making the runs he usually does.

Fair enough, sorry about your daughter, but it’s wild speculation nevertheless. The most likely explanation is that his injury disruptions have set him back and the team haven’t functioned in an attacking sense for some time.

48 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It has often been said that there is a difference between being fit and being match-fit.

yes, but match fit is based on playing, which he has been. he should be match fit and probably is. Here's a theory, maybe he is just out of form as are the team in general. You find that when is a team is not functioning at their best, the score less goals. I don't buy into the fact that he looks unhappy, he's just frustrated with the team not creating chances. Just a theory though.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

yes, but match fit is based on playing, which he has been. he should be match fit and probably is. Here's a theory, maybe he is just out of form as are the team in general. You find that when is a team is not functioning at their best, the score less goals. I don't buy into the fact that he looks unhappy, he's just frustrated with the team not creating chances. Just a theory though.

I agree, he doesn't look unhappy, and doesn't look like he's not giving 100%. Every team has a bad patch in the season, I just hope this is ours, mostly draws and a couple of losses. Probably not though. I think we'll be fighting to get into the top half come the end of the season.

54 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Are you saying  , Toussaint , that you are denying that Covid 19 exisits ? or is no worse than a common cold ?

I’m saying Jeremy Vine is on a mission to depress and distress the nation. On Tuesday he took a break from covid and had a whole show dedicated to industrial deaths. So do please not put words into my mouth. 

• Like 1