Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread

Lighthouse

McCarthy has had a bad game except for that save early doors. Looks shaky. First time Forster has looked a better proposition for ages. 
monogram positives tonight: Diallo excellent. JWP not bad. Valery at least got a bit better. Rest were very average. We need our treatment rooms back

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread

Unfortunately, Walcott flatters to deceive (and can put us under real pressure losing the ball high up the pitch) and Ings has gone mightily off the boil since his first injury.

We are simply not creating enough chances - this result was entirely expected after the efforts of the weekend.  I'd rather still be in with a chance of silverware than competing for 7th or 8th.

Our squad is too thin and a lack of threat up top means 7th or 8th is likely the best we could hope for this season but 10th or 11th is probably more realistic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Shows how important KWP and Bertie are.

Exactly this. We missed both KWP and Bertie hugely tonight. We are missing something like nine players too. Just one of those nights. We move onto the weekend. Armstrong was our best player, great finish :)

Edited by davefizzy14

5 minutes ago, DT said:

McCarthy has had a bad game except for that save early doors. Looks shaky. First time Forster has looked a better proposition for ages. 
monogram positives tonight: Diallo excellent. JWP not bad. Valery at least got a bit better. Rest were very average. We need our treatment rooms back

Disagree. JWP. Is fabulous at set pieces and work rate but I can’t remember the last time he playedan incisive, creative, forward pass b

he plays the stats and he’s boring. 

• Like 1

Missed a fair few normal starters, so always likely to be a bit of a struggle until we get them back. Ings looked pretty off the pace, but then again so did most of the team. Top ten is probably the best we can aim for this season I think. I seriously doubt there will be any investment in this window.

The predicable result given the injuries and quick turnaround.

Thought we actually played reasonably well. We essentially had almost a complete second string defence and it showed. SHame after taking a quick fie lead to let it slip away.

They exposed the fullbacks. Valery i thought improved in the 2nd half. Vokins was very poor. Diallo caught out for the 3rd as a makeshift left back.

Walcott looked very jaded. Good to see Redmond back, maybe start him instead at the weekend.

Ings off par. Hopefully it was just the turnaround and he'll be fresher at the weekend.

Just now, wessex saint said:

Disagree. JWP. Is fabulous at set pieces and work rate but I can’t remember the last time he playedan incisive, creative, forward pass b

he plays the stats and he’s boring. 

I think he had been playing a generally deeper role with the absence of Romeu which had affected our forward play.

2 minutes ago, JamiSaint said:

We've done OK and looked the better side for decent chunks. Let's not panic and have faith in Ralph. We're missing something like 9 players which any team would struggle with, let alone our lean squad

9? 
 Vestergaard, Romeu, Djenopo. Anyone else ?

Positives were stuey, diallo and jwp. Che was ok too. Otherwise was a poor performance. Most disappointing was Ings who is playing at 75% (at most) and looking like his head is somewhere else.

Another poor refereeing performance from Mr friend - nothing that really changed the game, but too many frequent basic (deliberate?) mistakes. How he earns a living being so shit is beyond me.

• Confused 1

I wasn't expecting anything today, so not really surprised.

I thought we played kind of ok, but we lacked the quality in the 3 areas of the pitch where we are stretched. Full backs, and CB. They took us apart down the flanks all game because of our full backs, who to be frank, were diabolical. We need a new full back as soon as possible, as neither of our backup options are clearly anywhere near the level we need.

Ings is out of form, he's had a very stop start season due to injuries and he's struggling to get a head of steam going. Adams hasn't been great either for me, not really impacting the games as we have seen him do. Looks like it's all got a bit tougher for him all of a sudden.

Diallo and Armstrong probably our best players, Armstrong's running in particular is a big positive to our positive approach at times.

Onto the next one. Let's be honest, 10th-12th is a fair reflection of our squad. Let's not get sucked into the dream of finishing top 6 or even Top 4, it was never ever a possibility - we just had to enjoy it when it happened, and I think we did! Where we are now is realistic and without investment it's where we will stay, with occasional seasons flirting with the drop.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

Can't think of a weaker/less experienced Saints XI than the one that finished the game tbf. I don't blame Ralph who's just working with what he's got, but the double change completely ended the contest.

Not much else to say. We need players back and quickly. I thought going forward we were decent and created some chances, but not quite clinical enough (again). We looked weak defensively but that's what happens to teams of our resources when you lose 3 of your first choice back 4.

One thing that really pisses me off is how slow and ponderous we are in the last 20 minutes of games. We never look like getting back into it when were behind, or stretching a lead when we're winning.

Diallo is immense. What a player.

• Like 2

Just now, Toussaint said:

I think he had been playing a generally deeper role with the absence of Romeu which had affected our forward play.

Agreed, but can you tell me when he played a defence splitting pass before Romeu got injured. 
I can’t remember one. He doesn’t offer anything in open play. 
he takes the David beckham type position. 
beckham used to drill an 80 yard pass cross field to a winger in space 

JWP pings a 5yard sideways pass to a CB 

overrated

• Like 1

Had more shots than Arsenal, sadly not many of them were very good. 

Hard for such a small squad with many key players out. I said in the pre match thread that full backs are such a crucial part of our play and missing both of them was absolutely massive for us. 

Once we get players back fit the results will pick up again.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wasn't expecting anything today, so not really surprised.

I thought we played kind of ok, but we lacked the quality in the 3 areas of the pitch where we are stretched. Full backs, and CB. They took us apart down the flanks all game because of our full backs, who to be frank, were diabolical. We need a new full back as soon as possible, as neither of our backup options are clearly anywhere near the level we need.

Ings is out of form, he's had a very stop start season due to injuries and he's struggling to get a head of steam going. Adams hasn't been great either for me, not really impacting the games as we have seen him do. Looks like it's all got a bit tougher for him all of a sudden.

Diallo and Armstrong probably our best players, Armstrong's running in particular is a big positive to our positive approach at times.

Onto the next one. Let's be honest, 10th-12th is a fair reflection of our squad. Let's not get sucked into the dream of finishing top 6 or even Top 4, it was never ever a possibility - we just had to enjoy it when it happened, and I think we did! Where we are now is realistic and without investment it's where we will stay.

This seems a fair assessment. We have nowhere near enough a squad capable of mounting a top 10 finish. The Board should be honest enough to admit that and not con the fans otherwise

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Can't expect much with four of our regular defenders missing. No point in pointing the finger, none of our lads played well tonight. When was the last time we gave the ball away so often?. Too many games in quick succession with a small squad has clobbered us. 

5 games in 14 days come up too so no shift in the relentless 

Just now, The Cat said:

Had more shots than Arsenal, sadly not many of them were very good. 

Hard for such a small squad with many key players out. I said in the pre match thread that full backs are such a crucial part of our play and missing both of them was absolutely massive for us. 

Once we get players back fit the results will pick up again.

On top of the injuries....we also have key players out of form. Ings, Adams, Theo not great at the mo....so if you have those players dipping in form, and others missing...we have no chance! That's why I'm kind of pleased in terms of how well we competed really.