Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread

Lighthouse

It's been a very hectic game, end to end. They look like cutting us open on most attack.

Stephens dreadful, Valery positionally shocking, Vokins not quite switched on either, McCarthy with a brain fart.

We keep giving the ball away in the middle of the park as well.

We've hit the situation we all knew we would. A very stretched squad due to injuries and on top of that some key players a long way from a decent level of form.

Our squad depth was always going to even our league position out sadly.

Edited by S-Clarke

Arsenal playing towards the top of their game in this match and yet we weren't a million miles away from going in all square at half time. Pretty sure we had a similar number of chances, just missing the clinicality that Arsenal have shown. If we can play the second half like we played in the middle part of the first half then we ought to get something out of the game. 

• Like 1

Created plenty, let down by basic mistakes at the back and some poor final balls. Valery really isn't competent enough for this type of opposition. 

Vokins doing ok but this is a whole different game if we have our normal full backs on the pitch.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

It's been a very hectic game, end to end. They look like cutting us open on most attack.

Stephens dreadful, Valery positionally shocking, McCarthy with a brain fart.

We keep giving the ball away in the middle of the park as well.

We've hit the situation we all knew we would. A very stretched squad due to injuries and on top of that some key players a long way from a decent level of form.

Our squad depth was always going to even our league position out sadly.

Too many games coming at us too quickly.

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

If we don’t sort something out at half-time we risk full time with 4 or even 5-1 scoreline

Any fix needs to include replacing Valery, who is one of the reasons we are being cut open down that side. Vokins not much better though.

No one on the bench to replace either, herein lies our issue! Let's just see what happens.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Nor me. Unless free. Okay as a sub

Not even free (which it obviously would be) it would be a big slab of wage for relatively little in return. We’ve spent two years trying to shift players off the wage bill, let’s not undo it all now. Especially the way our finances look.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Any fix needs to include replacing Valery, who is one of the reasons we are being cut open down that side. Vokins not much better though.

No one on the bench to replace either, herein lies our issue! Let's just see what happens.

The only plausible way I think we can do it is JWP to RB, Armstrong in midfield and Redmond replacing him. 

Not sure Diallo to RB and JWP/Armstrong in the middle would work. 

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Arsenal playing towards the top of their game in this match and yet we weren't a million miles away from going in all square at half time. Pretty sure we had a similar number of chances, just missing the clinicality that Arsenal have shown. If we can play the second half like we played in the middle part of the first half then we ought to get something out of the game. 

P.s. can we have the old effervescent Ings back please? 

Edited by trousers

Just now, The Cat said:

The only plausible way I think we can do it is JWP to RB, Armstrong in midfield and Redmond replacing him. 

Not sure Diallo to RB and JWP/Armstrong in the middle would work. 

Yeah, JWP is certainly a better option than Valery. The prob is you lose that midfield join, he's really key in that pivot.

I wonder if we'll get that backup full back before the end of the window which we've clearly been looking for!

Ings doesn’t even look particularly interested tonight. 
Lots of shrugging of shoulders and not much more. 
he’s lost that spring in his step and that appetite it seems. 
hope he proves me wrong but the body language says more about a player who’s not ‘ in the game’ 

Arsenal are playing well, but it is annoying because with a bit more brains on the pitch we could still be leading. Bednarek got caught out bringing it out and got away with it. Stephens then had no fucking excuse to do the exact same thing. Utterly appalling, as the warning was already there. Walcott's decision making and often technique are just too poor. That pass is going to haunt me for a long time, I would expect a semi pro to get it in the right area. Ings seems to be trying too hard to score now to get his numbers up and just needs to focus on playing well. Some good performers in the side which is keeping us in this. But the laggards need to up their game and most importantly switch on. 

Just now, adrian lord said:

Am I sensing that we are approaching the tipping point whereby Ings becomes a full-on scapegoat hate figure?

Wouldn't surprise me, I've already seen some 'he's shit anyway' type posts in recent days. Shocking really, but that's modern football fans for you.

• Like 1

Can someone please tell Stephens he’s not beckenbauer. He keeps getting caught in possession and pings 40 yard passes straight to Arsenal. 
And the dream move for Walcott is slowly losing momentum. He has been anonymous the last few games and today. 
and Ralph has been Ralph’d. Arsenal came at us the first 15 and we had no answer. 
Need a plan b 

Just now, saint lard said:

Ings doesn’t even look particularly interested tonight. 
Lots of shrugging of shoulders and not much more. 
he’s lost that spring in his step and that appetite it seems. 
hope he proves me wrong but the body language says more about a player who’s not ‘ in the game’ 

Ever since the first rumblings about his contract started - not coincidentally around the time of his first injury this season - he's played with no smile on his face, moaning more at his teammates than applauding their effort or encouraging like he used to. Sick of seeing it to be honest, his mind is obviously made up about leaving.

We are without 3 of our first choice defenders, missing our starting CM*, don’t have a fully fit Redmond and also without Djenepo/Tella.

Any team will suffer with an injury list like that and our players are knackered from Saturday unlike Arsenal who have made 5 changes and started with a £45m mid + £54m striker etc etc

So not too many complaints given we are somewhat in it- but it does feel like we are getting sliced open. 

*not that Diallo has been terrible- he’s been our 2nd best player aft Stu tonight I’d say

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Ever since the first rumblings about his contract started - not coincidentally around the time of his first injury this season - he's played with no smile on his face, moaning more at his teammates than applauding their effort or encouraging like he used to. Sick of seeing it to be honest, his mind is obviously made up about leaving.

I think it's more a case that we are 'aware' of the contract stuff, and some fans are now reading way, way too much into every single move, pass, smile, or facial expression he gives.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic