Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread

Lighthouse

57 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Interesting that Ralph made comments about Diallo could also play as a number ten or full back. I wonder if he’ll try either of those one Romeu is back? 

I think it confirms what a lot of people are thinking;  Diallo is too good a player not to be in the best 11.    By the sound of it Romeu won't be fit to face Arsenal anyway which paves the way for a Diallo/JWP pairing.

27 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Bonus if Cedric plays at LB again should Tierney not make it. Might play saka I suppose instead. 

Surely not even a manager as inept as Arteta could have watched Cedric's performance on Saturday and thought he did well enough to keep his place?

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A good hunch too. Probably Ralph's only option in reality. 

Was going to say the same thing.

it’s not like we play with RB’s these days as they get forward so often.

reckon our left flank will do well too as we know Bertrand does not always gives us options like Voskins will.

Its going to be a tough game tonight.

KWP, Rom, Vest, Red, Djenpo, Bertie all out is a massive blow us and would be for most sides!

Still, its games like this (where we have to trust the kids) that have turned up some great results historically - and at least we know we'll have a go and put in a performance to be proud of.

I still fancy us to get a result!

I hope both full backs come in and prove the doubters wrong. I'm more concerned about missing KWP because he's been so excellent this season. Valery should be hungry for an opportunity to show Ralph that he can trust him, or to another manager that he would be a good investment for their team. This will be a big test. He needs to come through it.

I've been impressed with Vokins every time I've seen him play, so let's hope that continues.

As others have said, our team is about systems, so if they have been listening to Ralph and get their positions right, we have strong midfield and CB partnerships to support them.

I still think we can win this!

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

OK ...so now we have both full backs out..What's new ?     We've had absences all season and we are only half way in.

Reading above, I see a lot of wailing, and gnashing of teeth and people pulling their hair out, but I've got no hair left to pull.

The same scenario whenever someone new appears; Diallo, N'Lundulu and the youngsters who played in the Shrewsbury game.

After the start of the season we had Vestergaard coming in looking like a brand new signing, and then Jack Stephens replaced

him and is playing some of the best football of his career.  Now it's the full backs, and if we are talking Valery and Vokins.

Both are from the Academy, so they know what we are about and have been training with the first team for quite a while.

They are not " boys " any longer, but young men looking to establish themselves in the best league in the World.

We can recall Valery's contribution when Cedric was out, when he DAJFU and got himself a great goal at Old Trafford. 

Jake Vokins has had fewer chances, (but who wouldn't with Bertrand as first choice), but Jake has showed up well in the

B team ..and is still improving.  Now is their chance to show up, be seen and establish themselves as squad members. 

In this League it doesn't matter who the opposition are,  every game is tough and if they are going to make it they have

to start somewhere.  Maybe I'm out of step with some of the critics, but I'm quite eager to see how they perform. COYR.

My point exactly. We have shown this season we can match anyone. Even with players out we beat Liverpool. Despite the evidence of that, there are some who still insist we can't compete with the "big" clubs.

It's time for Valery and Vokins to step up and show what they can do.

I'm not sure Romeu is ready for tonight, but even if he is, I personally wouldn't move JWP to full back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKgIzFcMBPg/?igshid=1tcjms240pl03

Can we take anything from KWP being front and centre of the Southampton FC Matchday Instagram post? Normally injured players don’t feature in these but it is a late injury... 

Is he blocked out in red because he is injured and unavailable? 🙈

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKgIzFcMBPg/?igshid=1tcjms240pl03

Can we take anything from KWP being front and centre of the Southampton FC Matchday Instagram post? Normally injured players don’t feature in these but it is a late injury... 

Pretty sure they wouldn't have posted that graphic on matchday if he wasn't available after all. 

Screenshot_20210126-132020.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lots of pessimism but easy to overlook that in recent years we have been unusually lucky with injuries.  Most teams will have one month where they are pretty short.  Good news is that it sounds like Redmond, Vest and Romeu are all likely to be available in Feb, and Bertrand is one match ban.  I would give both Valery  and Vokins an opportunity to shine, and if we lose so be it it’s not the end of the world.  29 points halfway, with Leeds to play twice, is a very good position

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Don't think he meant tonight, but that Diallo could feasibly play LB/RB if needed when all three of our CMs are available. 

That's how I read it. Personally I think Diallo would do well at full back, and he gives us good cover without shifting JWP. 

As for tonight, I reckon we'll see a curveball somewhere. Their wide players will be a bit much for Vokins and Valery. 

No Auba or Tierney for them, no full backs for us. Tough game to call. Also they have the earlier Sky game on Saturday against Man Utd, ours is later against Villa so hopefully they have one eye on that! 

Would take a draw, but think it could be worse. KWP and Bertrand are so key to the way we play, and Arsenal made targeted attacks down our flanks on Saturday. Smith-Rowe seems to be one to watch at the moment. Whatever the score I hope Adams scores. He works so hard he deserves more goals.

7 hours ago, igsey said:

Surely not even a manager as inept as Arteta could have watched Cedric's performance on Saturday and thought he did well enough to keep his place?

Thought his crossing was excellent (in light of the fact he was playing against us)

On 25/01/2021 at 14:31, nta786 said:

The team I’d play: 

Macca

Valery Stephens Bednarek Vokins

Armstrong JWP Diallo Walcott

Ings Adams

Although Armstrong looked like he was ran into the ground on Saturday but we don’t have wide options- I’d say get Redmond on at HT and give Dan N’lundulu a 30m run out

Can I get an award for stating the obvious ;)

No complaints about the team- big clubs have play midweek/weekends somewhat regularly- why not ours 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic