Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread

Lighthouse

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So it'll be Valery then, awesome. Should be a game to watch from behind the sofa. Saka will have him for dinner and then finish him off for desert. Whoever is in front of Valery will need to be tracking back and then some.

Saka usually plays off the right wing.

It'll be Aubamayang (if available) or Martinelli up against Valery, in all likelihood.

Not exactly ideal to be facing a "big six" club with only one of our first choice back four available, but what can you do? Keep your expectations low, I guess.

The trouble with losing KWP, aside from the obvious, is he's been one of our most creative players going forward (which isn't saying much). For a team that lacks quality in the final third, he'll be a big loss.

That being said, he's a booking away from suspension (I think the cut off point is after the Arsenal game), so if he were to return against Villa on the weekend, we can probably consider that breaking even.

Hey ho. Free hit. Have some fun with it.

Just go with Valery and Vokins, not perfect but if we go as strong as possible elsewhere then we can still get something. We didn’t have Ings at their place, he would’ve put that game to bed before the equaliser. At the moment, we are better than them. 

Hmm that is annoying now with both fullbacks out.

Is Romeu fit to start? I’d be tempted to push JWP to right back and have a central midfield of Rom/Diallo.

If not, the yep Valery and Vokins will need to start.

The team I’d play: 

Macca

Valery Stephens Bednarek Vokins

Armstrong JWP Diallo Walcott

Ings Adams

Although Armstrong looked like he was ran into the ground on Saturday but we don’t have wide options- I’d say get Redmond on at HT and give Dan N’lundulu a 30m run out

1 hour ago, Wimborne_saint said:

KWP injured in training and is a major doubt for tomorrow (quad injury). Redmond will be back in the squad on the bench. Romeu not ready for Arsenal but will be an option for the weekend.

We seem to get an awful lot of injuries in training. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Arsenal are in miles better form than us.

0-2.

This. They will be above us in the table at the final whistle tomorrow night. 

If we have no Bertrand, Walker-Peters, Vestergaard, Romeu, we're not going to beat a full strength Arsenal side who rested some key players at the weekend. 

Run of league fixtures not kind to us in this busy spell, having lost to Leicester,  Arsenal, we then have Villa who are looking very good currently (above us), then Man Utd also on a fine run. It's good to still be in the FA cup to keep season interesting. 

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Arsenal are in miles better form than us.

0-2.

Their ‘miles better form’ has been against teams in absolutely horrendous form - Chelsea, Newcastle twice, Brighton, West Brom and a 0-0 draw against a poor Palace side. They’re still miles off being a top team at the moment.

55 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How is their form against us in the last week? That is more relevant than any other game vs a different opponent.

Not really when it won't be the same team for Arsenal. 

Let's take last 5 league games. 

Arsenal - won 4, drew 1. Scored 11 conceded 1. - 13 points. 

Saints - won 1, drew 2, lost 2. Scored 1 conceded 3. - 5 points. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, but Arsenal have to be considered heavy favourites to win, especially if we play Valery and Vokins. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Valery was good enough lat season and one before that to be picked

He wasn’t unfortunately, especially last season. 

His only decent performances have been as a wing back, which we won’t be using.

53 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Valery was good enough lat season and one before that to be picked

He was being picked, but he was never anywhere near being good enough. We had no other options at that point, it was pretty clear we were looking for any half decent RB to come in and they'd automatically take Valerys place.

Dreadful positionally and switches off too much, seems to be in his makeup. There was a point we were trying to get a second full back as well, so we clearly don't have full faith in him as backup either. I can understand why.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 hours ago, JRM said:

If we have no Bertrand, Walker-Peters, Vestergaard, Romeu, we're not going to beat a full strength Arsenal side who rested some key players at the weekend. 

Run of league fixtures not kind to us in this busy spell, having lost to Leicester,  Arsenal, we then have Villa who are looking very good currently (above us), then Man Utd also on a fine run. It's good to still be in the FA cup to keep season interesting. 

A double whammy, how many more injuries can we endure without the system breaking down completely. Death by a thousand cuts as they say.

Sadly I think this has screwed us and a rampant Gunners at full strength intent on revenge will run us ragged. I hate to say this but we are going to lose 4-0.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Yes we've injuries but typical saints web defeatist attitude. Wait until we actually play the games first. To keep the season interesting? We have a game in hand on a number of sides above us, win that and we go 6th and 2 points off 4th. Maybe you would rather we be in the relegation zone to make it more interesting for you 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A double whammy, how many more injuries can we endure without the system breaking down completely. Death by a thousand cuts as they say.

Sadly I think this has screwed us and a rampant Gunners at full strength intent on revenge will run us ragged. I hate to say this but we are going to lose 4-0.

Really are some fucking jokers on here sometimes 

41 minutes ago, saint77 said:

Really are some fucking jokers on here sometimes 

I think some people talk like this to cover the bases. Talk us down while hoping it won't happen. I do it to be fair. Preach doom and gloom with fingers and toes crossed. We all have different ways of coping with being a Saints fan but....... ultimately we all want the same thing.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JRM said:

You never disappoint with your deliberate miserable pessimism. Shame it gives you so much pleasure. Really don't know what you're doing on this forum. Clearly not a Saints fan. But we've known that for a long time 

Obviously I don't have access to any intel unless I read this forum (which is one of the reasons I'm here -got sick of losing money by betting on hoping SFC would or could win just about every week.) I'm going $5 the draw this week after reading these posts about injuries and Arsenal not being at full strength last time, so thanks to all you pundits.  

29 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

You never disappoint with your deliberate miserable pessimism. Shame it gives you so much pleasure. Really don't know what you're doing on this forum. Clearly not a Saints fan. But we've known that for a long time 

Bit of a weird post. 

41 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Eh? Have you quoted the wrong post by mistake? If we all just posted what we want to happen obviously is to win, but an honest viewpoint that we're going to struggle due to players missing especially with Valery at right back explain why that's wrong ? Especially against an in form Arsenal with some of their best  players rested on Saturday ready for this. We've scored ONE goal in our last five league games. Not sure who starts up front but can Ings do it all again so soon? He's not designed for 3 games a week. 

Our defensive record for the last month gives us our best hope of getting anything, I even mentioned Jack Stephens has an outside chance of an England call up if he keeps this up, but Arsenal have strong wide players that will target our weaknesses. 

Anyway I didn't expect anything against Liverpool and they proved me wrong so who knows. 

I guess I’m in the miserable fookers camp as I think we’ll struggle to cope with even a less than convincing Arsenal side. If we manage to scrape a draw I’ll be surprised but happy. If somehow Ralph manages to pull a rabbit out and conjure a win, given the current injury crisis, I think I’ll start to believe he’s capable of walking on water! Looking forward with intrigue to see how we fair compared to Saturday. 1-3 Arse...hearts hoping for 1-1.

Feel we need a few goals lead by half time in this one, especially looking knackered last time out in the last 30mins.

A win here will create a good gap between us and the bottom half, said it before and we didn't take the chance. Hopefully this time.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

love how people think vokins and valery have the ability of training cones for arsenal to dribble rings over. instead of moaning back the young lads to take their opportunity and support them. but got to love the enthusiasm here

injuries havent stopped us from winning so why should it stop us now

• Like 1

I thought Valery had a very good game last Tuesday. I thought his on the ball capabilities has improved (probably due to his time spent with with Boufal / Djenepo).

Certainly not worried at all about two hungry young players flying down the wings, especially with Diallo and JWP covering the ground to protect those areas.

OK ...so now we have both full backs out..What's new ?     We've had absences all season and we are only half way in.

Reading above, I see a lot of wailing, and gnashing of teeth and people pulling their hair out, but I've got no hair left to pull.

The same scenario whenever someone new appears; Diallo, N'Lundulu and the youngsters who played in the Shrewsbury game.

After the start of the season we had Vestergaard coming in looking like a brand new signing, and then Jack Stephens replaced

him and is playing some of the best football of his career.  Now it's the full backs, and if we are talking Valery and Vokins.

Both are from the Academy, so they know what we are about and have been training with the first team for quite a while.

They are not " boys " any longer, but young men looking to establish themselves in the best league in the World.

We can recall Valery's contribution when Cedric was out, when he DAJFU and got himself a great goal at Old Trafford. 

Jake Vokins has had fewer chances, (but who wouldn't with Bertrand as first choice), but Jake has showed up well in the

B team ..and is still improving.  Now is their chance to show up, be seen and establish themselves as squad members. 

In this League it doesn't matter who the opposition are,  every game is tough and if they are going to make it they have

to start somewhere.  Maybe I'm out of step with some of the critics, but I'm quite eager to see how they perform. COYR.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Arsenal - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic