What are your pronouns?

Turkish

Always find this debate amusing. Mostly about perceived gender pay gap but think also about refusal to use ze etc as pronouns. Well more the free speech issues at play if enforced more than not respecting trans rights.

worth a watch 

That interview is pretty famous and a wonderful example of how to debate someone with a toxic ‘woke’ agenda, without falling into the traps they set to try and make you out to be a villain. Cathy ‘So you’re saying...’ Newman was clearly out to get him and he had a calm, well thought out answer for everything.

21 minutes ago, Manuel said:

I like Peterson.  Shame he went a bit nuts and ended up in hospital.  Benzo addiction so he says.  Doesn't seem quite the same since...

I heard something but haven’t really followed it. He seems a hate figure of the left but if you just assess what he says and previous lectures it all seems good stuff.

Oh he was definitely hated by the left.  

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

I heard something but haven’t really followed it. He seems a hate figure of the left but if you just assess what he says and previous lectures it all seems good stuff.

I'm sure the left would have loved to have taken him down but he seemed to kind of self destruct and saved them the bother, for now anyway.  He is quite conservative in his outlook but entered discussions with evidence and sounded credible.  How moderate conservative views can be so controversial to people these days seems ridiculous to me.  I haven't read his book but have also listed to a few of the lectures online.  He built quite a following.  I hope he'll return with as much enthusiasm as before.  

Yeah his basic premise is to take responsibility which doesn’t appeal to many millennial entitlement with a need to blame. He is right about academia esp in US. Wokeness is stifling any debate and free speech.

Interesting listening to guests on Bill Maher Real Time. John McWhorter was one the other day. Longish article here https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/dehumanizing-condescension-white-fragility/614146/

The alcoholic, cocaine using, anorexic, self-harming, bipolar Demi Lovato has announced that ( formerly ) "she" now identifies as non-binary and will now use the personal pronouns "they / their".

I get the feeling that some of these announcements amount to nothing more than "look at me".

( I didn't have a clue about this person until the BBC posted this apparently important story on the front page of it's news website ).

13 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The alcoholic, cocaine using, anorexic, self-harming, bipolar Demi Lovato has announced that ( formerly ) "she" now identifies as non-binary and will now use the personal pronouns "they / their".

I get the feeling that some of these announcements amount to nothing more than "look at me".

( I didn't have a clue about this person until the BBC posted this apparently important story on the front page of it's news website ).

She clearly just wants to be perceived as special. Isn't it interesting that all these people are so clearly damaged and abused. You don't get any normal people doing this stuff. They need help not pandering to this nonsense. 

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

She clearly just wants to be perceived as special. Isn't it interesting that all these people are so clearly damaged and abused. You don't get any normal people doing this stuff. They need help not pandering to this nonsense. 

Yep, she thinks herself special and different. Bless. The BBC article is weird, trying hard to pander to her wish to address her as "they" "them" "themselves" while she refers to "I" and "my". 

It's all bollocks. She's a she. 

2 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

Having met regular trans people, who mostly just wish to blend in and be treated like a regular person all this look at me stuff must be really infuriating.

There seems to be a bit of trend on linkedin at the moment for straight people to put their pronouns next to their name on their profile. Pretty tragic look at me behaviour. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

There seems to be a bit of trend on linkedin at the moment for straight people to put their pronouns next to their name on their profile. Pretty tragic look at me behaviour. 

There seem to be certain posters on here who continually troll with whataboutery just for kicks. Pretty lame "look at me" behaviour.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

Having met regular trans people, who mostly just wish to blend in and be treated like a regular person all this look at me stuff must be really infuriating.

Yep. It's those people I feel most sorry for in all this. I haven't spoken to any personally about it but I have seen a couple of articles and videos about it where they state how much they hate it because it distorts reality and makes it seem like all trans people are insane.