BBC presenters pay

OldNick

It is madness that people like Vanessa Feltz is paid £400k a year, Zoe Ball (world class presenter according to the Beeb!)£1.2m.

It makes me mad seeing these people get such high fees. Iam sure you could get people to present the programmes for a quarter and would be just as good. I only want to tune in to listen to a few tunes, not to listen to their inane chat.  

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Christ, another anti Bbc rant. When its gone you’ll see what we had for a pitiful annual fee.

I signed up for a gym once. Didn’t like it so stopped going.
They are still charging me but I figure that’s fair enough as it probably helps them pay the swimming instructors or something. 👍

5 minutes ago, Plastic said:

I signed up for a gym once. Didn’t like it so stopped going.
They are still charging me but I figure that’s fair enough as it probably helps them pay the swimming instructors or something. 👍

Yet you’ll pay £600 for sky, £££ for Netflix, Amazon and all the rest.

By that logic. Never needed the Nhs why should I pay?

Never needed the fire brigade. Why should I pay.

Never read a book, why should I pay for libraries.

went for a walk in the park, didn’t like it. Why should I pay for their upkeep.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Yet you’ll pay £600 for sky, £££ for Netflix, Amazon and all the rest.

Damn right, I pay for everything I can sign up for, and I don’t even have a telly.

5 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

By that logic. Never needed the Nhs why should I pay?

I read an article about how stage 3 pancreatic cancer can be cured prolonged exposure to Doctor Who. Amazing how relevant that example is!

58 minutes ago, Plastic said:
1 hour ago, Antrimsaint said:

Damn right, I pay for everything I can sign up for, and I don’t even have a telly.

Why are you on a thread ranting about the license fee when you don’t have to pay it because you don’t have a tv.

Rather strange man.

Just now, Antrimsaint said:

Why are you on a thread ranting about the license fee when you don’t have to pay it because you don’t have a tv.

Rather strange man.

Well, tbf I was lying. I do have a tv, but I don’t have Sky - guess what though, turns out Sky still exists as there are people who choose to subscribe to it! 
Also I used to have Netflix but I binned it cause it’s generally shite - good news though - Netflix still exists and is doing ok without my money!

The issue here is that your reasoning is incomplete, so you arrive at a false equivalence. I have private health care because if I do ever need an operation I’d like to skip the line, but I am still happy to pay for the NHS because it provides a ‘service’ which most agree is valuable to society - in fact, I’d happily pay more, despite the fact it’s an inefficient mess!

Similarly, you might question why I’m happy to pay expensive water bills like a sucker, when I could just wash myself in puddles and save the cash - again, a ‘service’ which I’m happy to subsidise.

The BBC may once have provided a service, but today it’s an entertainment platform (check out their budget allocation if you don’t believe me). As an entertainment platform, they provide some excellent content, certainly on par with Sky. I reckon they could probably hold their own from a subscription rather than extortion model. You know what? I’d probably pay for it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Plastic said:

have private health care because if I do ever need an operation I’d like to skip the line, but I am still happy to pay for the NHS because it provides a ‘service’ which most agree is valuable to society

Thin end of the wedge. What if we go by your logic people decided don’t want to pay for the NHS because you can afford private. Rush to the bottom where you have American healthcare.

Just because you can afford all the subscriptions you want not everyone can. 
For what it provides the subscription, although forced, is incredibly cheap which means it is more or less affordable for everyone. 

You have just watched the Semi final of the Euros and Wimbledon.

Go to a bbc subscription model  and more of the crown jewels will be siphoned off for sky and Amazon and the rest.

In order for the bbc to compete its subscription would rocket. I am happy to pay £15 so everyone can enjoy a variety of content. 

In reality I’m happy to pay for it too. I’d pay it to keep radio 4 alone, although they are sailing close to the wind imo - they waste enormous amounts on shit content and chasing ratings. They define their majority ‘service’ spend simply as ‘Television’ as if everything they create is a public service. Top Gear is not a public service. Master chef, strictly, mrs browns boys, doctor who - these are not service broadcasts. They offer only entertainment (which is fine, but it’s not ‘enriching the public’ or whatever their charter defines their role as)

I was just looking for an argument during the football 👍👍👍

Edited by Plastic

40 minutes ago, Plastic said:

In reality I’m happy to pay for it too. I’d pay it to keep radio 4 alone, although they are sailing close to the wind imo - they waste enormous amounts on shit content and chasing ratings. They define their majority ‘service’ spend simply as ‘Television’ as if everything they create is a public service. Top Gear is not a public service. Master chef, strictly, mrs browns boys, doctor who - these are not service broadcasts. They offer only entertainment (which is fine, but it’s not ‘enriching the public’ or whatever their charter defines their role as)

I was just looking for an argument during the football 👍👍👍

Why I outta!!!

Its a fair argument tbf. But I am old enough now to realise throughout the years we all end up paying the same taxes more or less and end up losing more and more each year. Whether is free tertiary education, dental treatment, legal aid, police on the streets, pensions age increase etc etc etc. Even Curly Wurley’s used to be bigger lol. Start shouting down the bbc and we’ll all spend more trying to get back what we lost.

There is a weirdly strong correlation between the "Capitalizm rulez - freedom, freedom, freedom" brigade and the "Can't believe they pay Gawwy Lineker so much monies" crowd.  The BBC is primarily a commercial operation and clearly these big money starts earn their salaries or they wouldn't be paid them.

13 hours ago, Plastic said:

In reality I’m happy to pay for it too. I’d pay it to keep radio 4 alone, although they are sailing close to the wind imo - they waste enormous amounts on shit content and chasing ratings. Top Gear is not a public service. Master chef, strictly, mrs browns boys, doctor who - these are not service broadcasts. They offer only entertainment (which is fine, but it’s not ‘enriching the public’ or whatever their charter defines their role as)

Agree with this. They are trying to do too much and as a result whilst some remains great, a lot of it is poor. Stick to news, documentaries, education and other public service broadcasting. Maybe a couple of UK tv channels and radio stations. Make all the programming available worldwide     

12 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Why I outta!!!

Its a fair argument tbf. But I am old enough now to realise throughout the years we all end up paying the same taxes more or less and end up losing more and more each year. Whether is free tertiary education, dental treatment, legal aid, police on the streets, pensions age increase etc etc etc. Even Curly Wurley’s used to be bigger lol. Start shouting down the bbc and we’ll all spend more trying to get back what we lost.

You can lose things by doing too much as well as by doing too little. The more mission creep you get the more you lose public support

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Agree with this. They are trying to do too much and as a result whilst some remains great, a lot of it is poor. Stick to news, documentaries, education and other public service broadcasting. Maybe a couple of UK tv channels and radio stations. Make all the programming available worldwide

I find it very interesting that, many years after the introduction of HDTV, we still cannot watch our local news in HD. I think this highlights current misdirected priorities.

spacer.png 

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/2397/opinion/why-are-viewers-in-england-still-seeing-that-red-screen-in-2019/

6 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

There is a weirdly strong correlation between the "Capitalizm rulez - freedom, freedom, freedom" brigade and the "Can't believe they pay Gawwy Lineker so much monies" crowd.  The BBC is primarily a commercial operation and clearly these big money starts earn their salaries or they wouldn't be paid them.

The bbc is is not a commercial organisation. 

19 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Thin end of the wedge. What if we go by your logic people decided don’t want to pay for the NHS because you can afford private. Rush to the bottom where you have American healthcare.

Just because you can afford all the subscriptions you want not everyone can. 
For what it provides the subscription, although forced, is incredibly cheap which means it is more or less affordable for everyone. 

You have just watched the Semi final of the Euros and Wimbledon.

Go to a bbc subscription model  and more of the crown jewels will be siphoned off for sky and Amazon and the rest.

In order for the bbc to compete its subscription would rocket. I am happy to pay £15 so everyone can enjoy a variety of content. 

What will you pay to watch tonight's semi final?

Ah, yes, that's right, you will have to pay the BBC more money than you will pay ITV to watch THEIR broadcast.  Seems like a perfectly fair system!

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s not subjected to the same commercial pressures. You don’t get threatened with prison if you don’t pay for Netflix 

It is. By commercial revenue I mean programmes it has sold, not licence fee money.  

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What will you pay to watch tonight's semi final?

Ah, yes, that's right, you will have to pay the BBC more money than you will pay ITV to watch THEIR broadcast.  Seems like a perfectly fair system!

I’ll take our system over the PBS US style system you seem to advocate. The vast majority of people in this country get excellent terrestrial television, radio et al for a reasonable annual fee. 

The market driven advertising Fox News, Sinclair inc dissemination of propaganda in the us is something we could well do without.

On 07/07/2021 at 18:35, Lord Duckhunter said:

You don’t get threatened with prison if you don’t pay for Netflix 

And yet password-sharing outside your household is IP theft (AKA piracy) which is a criminal offence. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting article from John Humphreys on bbc pay. 

Saying he was extremely well paid and  “I didn't exactly drive a hard bargain with the bosses. I didn't even employ an agent to put the squeeze on for me. There was no need to.” 

He then added 

“When presenters were banned at the height of the Iraq crisis from writing for newspapers I was called by a BBC boss and told not to worry, they'd make sure I didn't lose out financially. 

I rather enjoyed being paid for writing a column without actually having to write it.” 

Says it’s better now, but it needs to change its approach to paying its “talent”  and says it’s now facing  “the biggest crisis it has ever faced”. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So is burglary, drink driving & flashing your cock, what’s that got to do with going to prison if you don’t pay for the BBC? 

Ooh ooh sir. I know! I know! Is it because they’re the same thing? Accessing the services of the BBC, Netflix, Prime etc without paying for it is a crime. 

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

Ooh ooh sir. I know! I know! Is it because they’re the same thing? Accessing the services of the BBC, Netflix, Prime etc without paying for it is a crime. 

It’s a crime even if you don’t use  the bbc services, that’s the difference. Unless you can get locked up for not paying for Netflix despite not watching it. So it’s not the same thing. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Interesting article from John Humphreys on bbc pay. 

Saying he was extremely well paid and  “I didn't exactly drive a hard bargain with the bosses. I didn't even employ an agent to put the squeeze on for me. There was no need to.” 

He then added 

“When presenters were banned at the height of the Iraq crisis from writing for newspapers I was called by a BBC boss and told not to worry, they'd make sure I didn't lose out financially. 

I rather enjoyed being paid for writing a column without actually having to write it.” 

Says it’s better now, but it needs to change its approach to paying its “talent”  and says it’s now facing  “the biggest crisis it has ever faced”. 

I’d agree with most of that. Most of the talent wouldn’t really have anywhere else to go as there is t really a massive market for them. They aren’t internationally famous stars, the are personalities who might get work on sky or itv but if the BBC didn’t pay as much sky and itv  probably wouldn’t either 

Edited by buctootim

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s a crime even if you don’t use  the bbc services, that’s the difference. Unless you can get locked up for not paying for Netflix despite not watching it. So it’s not the same thing. 

Not if you set your tv up so it can’t receive bbc. In reality you only get prosecuted if they have proof you accessed services , not that you theoretically could have accessed them 

2 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Not if you set your tv up so it can’t receive bbc. In reality you only get prosecuted if they have proof you accessed services , not that you theoretically could have accessed them 

Incorrect.

You are breaking the law by watching TV that is screened live (as opposed to 'streamed'), without a valid TV licence, regardless of whether it is broadcast by the BBC.

Theoretically you can have just ITV on your TV and still be prosecuted for watching it without a licence.

19 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Incorrect.

You are breaking the law by watching TV that is screened live (as opposed to 'streamed'), without a valid TV licence, regardless of whether it is broadcast by the BBC.

Theoretically you can have just ITV on your TV and still be prosecuted for watching it without a licence.

Please tell me you're not one of those balloons who own a TV, claim you religiously refuse to watch any BBC stuff EVER, then go fuming and gasket-blowing on football forums about having to pay the TV licence. 

48 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Please tell me you're not one of those balloons who own a TV, claim you religiously refuse to watch any BBC stuff EVER, then go fuming and gasket-blowing on football forums about having to pay the TV licence. 

I watch all sorts of TV - Netflix, Amazon, Sky, BBC, ITV.  I pay my TV licence and would continue to if it became optional, providing I got value for money. 

6 hours ago, Verbal said:

Hes going gammon coloured as we speak.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's so upsetting, it really is.  Maybe I should go ballistic and pull out the 'wingnut' name calling :mcinnes:

(For Whelk's benefit [/sarcasm] as he'll probably miss it again ;) )

Much appreciated.  Makes sense now that your suggestion of carting all the COVID cases to boats wasn’t meant to be serious.

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's so upsetting, it really is.  Maybe I should go ballistic and pull out the 'wingnut' name calling :mcinnes:

(For Whelk's benefit [/sarcasm] as he'll probably miss it again ;) )

Must not, must not. I promised I’d try.

On 06/07/2021 at 22:33, Plastic said:

The issue here is that your reasoning is incomplete, so you arrive at a false equivalence. I have private health care because if I do ever need an operation I’d like to skip the line, but I am still happy to pay for the NHS because it provides a ‘service’ which most agree is valuable to society - in fact, I’d happily pay more, despite the fact it’s an inefficient mess!

The issue here is that your assumptions and statements are wrong so you draw false equivalence.

You equate long wait times eith inefficiency when they are symptoms of rationing by waiting. The NHS has been recognised as the most efficient health service in the OECD. Efficiency is how much you do and what you achieve for the money you are given. It’s isn’t the same as ‘best which is an accolade which generally goes to those countries who actually properly fund their health service. 

Secondly, how many doctors does UK private health care employ? Do you know? Or do they simply piggy back off the NHS? What happens when you have some kind of unforeseen complication from your private healthcare procedure. Do you think the GP they have on remote location call will save you or will the nursss simply dial 999 for an NHS ambulance?