Widdrington Watch

CB Fry

Disappointed to see so little coverage of Southampton born and bred Kai Widdrington (son of Saints midfield legend Tommy).

Absolutely smashing it on Strictly despite looking 42 years old while in reality being only 26.

Let's all cheer a Southampton winner to a glorious final come Christmas. He looks like Robbie Rotten off Lazy Town so deserves our support.

COYK

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Disappointed to see so little coverage of Southampton born and bred Kai Widdrington (son of Saints midfield legend Tommy).

Absolutely smashing it on Strictly despite looking 42 years old while in reality being only 26.

Let's all cheer a Southampton winner to a glorious final come Christmas. He looks like Robbie Rotten off Lazy Town so deserves our support.

COYK

Looks like someone needs to get a life!

• Haha 1

Always have to watch strictly with my daughter. She had already picked Kai and AJ as her favourite after watching last week with her mum. She is very excited to know Kai’s dad played for saints.

I might have this wrong but I’m sure it was Tommy who chipped the port vale keeper in the cup only for the ball to stop on the line due to the heavy rain. I went to the game on my own on a club coach, coach was pulled over while the ref did a pitch inspection. We lost 1-0. I would think about 93/94.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

COYK

Is that all he is, 26 ? You're right he looks much much older and very much like his old man. Shame he's with such a gobby bugger but she's good so he should have a decent run.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wooley7 said:

Always have to watch strictly with my daughter. She had already picked Kai and AJ as her favourite after watching last week with her mum. She is very excited to know Kai’s dad played for saints.

I might have this wrong but I’m sure it was Tommy who chipped the port vale keeper in the cup only for the ball to stop on the line due to the heavy rain. I went to the game on my own on a club coach, coach was pulled over while the ref did a pitch inspection. We lost 1-0. I would think about 93/94.

Found a video online of this game, nothing about a chip stopping on the line. I knew TW had a big part in the game. He was sent off for what is the most awful two footed tackle you are likely to see. Jumped a good foot over the ball straight in to the Vale players shin. There was a bit of a scrap off the ball in the first game which must have led to a bit of animosity. The conditions were shocking!

9 hours ago, wooley7 said:

Found a video online of this game, nothing about a chip stopping on the line. I knew TW had a big part in the game. He was sent off for what is the most awful two footed tackle you are likely to see. Jumped a good foot over the ball straight in to the Vale players shin. There was a bit of a scrap off the ball in the first game which must have led to a bit of animosity. The conditions were shocking!

Found it: 

Obviously from a Port Vale slant but a good watch none the less.

The assault leading to the red card makes the Oscar Goburn/Alexander Jankewic challenges the stuff of pussies.

I remember the Vale games as a bit of a turning point as the draw at The Dell was played in a pretty hostile atmosphere with a lot of simmering resentment towards Branfoot boiling over. There was a protest in the car park afterwards, and it was as I recall packed. Not just the young hot heads but a lot of older grey haired season ticket holders who'd come to the end of their tether. Not seen anything like it before or since, even in the Lowe/Wilde days.

I think Branfoot was gone a few days later and when the replay came round, Chatterley was in charge (possibly jointly with Merrington). Alan Ball was appointed soon after.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Found it: 

Obviously from a Port Vale slant but a good watch none the less.

The assault leading to the red card makes the Oscar Goburn/Alexander Jankewic challenges the stuff of pussies.

I remember the Vale games as a bit of a turning point as the draw at The Dell was played in a pretty hostile atmosphere with a lot of simmering resentment towards Branfoot boiling over. There was a protest in the car park afterwards, and it was as I recall packed. Not just the young hot heads but a lot of older grey haired season ticket holders who'd come to the end of their tether. Not seen anything like it before or since, even in the Lowe/Wilde days.

I think Branfoot was gone a few days later and when the replay came round, Chatterley was in charge (possibly jointly with Merrington). Alan Ball was appointed soon after.

Thanks, that’s the one. Didn’t know how to post the video on here.

I seem to remember someone going through on goal and chipping the keeper from outside the box and the ball stopping in the mud on the goal line. I remember it being TW anyone got anything on this?

Well, I like a bit of Strictly so I thank CBF for confirming one way or another whether Kai is Tommy's son. When the new pros were introduced, I say to the wife "Widdrington from Southampton? I wonder if he's the son of Saints ex Tommy?" Of course, she had no idea who I was on about.

So that's Kai. As for AJ Odudu .... scrumptious. The wife looks ascance at me salivating when she's on. Yes, she's young enough to be my daughter, but as she clearly isn't, I can look and admire, surely. But yes, Ms Lancashire Hot Pot, don't talk so much, just smoulder and dance and know that us old boys are enjoying every minute.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Well, I like a bit of Strictly so I thank CBF for confirming one way or another whether Kai is Tommy's son. When the new pros were introduced, I say to the wife "Widdrington from Southampton? I wonder if he's the son of Saints ex Tommy?" Of course, she had no idea who I was on about.

So that's Kai. As for AJ Odudu .... scrumptious. The wife looks ascance at me salivating when she's on. Yes, she's young enough to be my daughter, but as she clearly isn't, I can look and admire, surely. But yes, Ms Lancashire Hot Pot, don't talk so much, just smoulder and dance and know that us old boys are enjoying every minute.

You dirty old git😂

23 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Nice one - like many on here I watch Strictly with my daughters who love it but like you say there is plenty for the Dads as well. 

Kai was friends with my brother's daughter when they were kids so we'd known about him for a while - he was on Britain's Got Talent a few years back as well. 

On first outing he could be nicely on track - and if he wins it he will have achieved more than his dad did in his profession. 

COYK

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Fantastic week for the boy Widdrington this week. Kai and AJ delivered an excellent Argentine Tango and through to next round. Also, Twitter and newspapers telling me that he's banging it. He's doing the city proud.

I saw an interview with them last week (might have been on the BBC2 show, after House of Games) and said to my daughter that they appeared to be sat VERY close together (with his arm around her). Good lad! 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 21:40, Badger said:

Serious question, but why was he regarded as a bit of a cult hero ? Both then, and now.

Can only answer this for myself, but two reasons spring to mind based on very distant memories.  Firstly he gave absolutely everything, always looked fully committed and wholehearted, not afraid of the ugly stuff.  Secondly he seemed like one of us on the pitch rather than a professional footballer.  He didn't have the most athletic demeanour and looked a bit scruffy in his kit, and he ran in a 'working class way' if that makes any sense at all!

• Like 1