Le Tiss, Boobs and Rubber Dinghies

mezza

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Could say the same about those from Ukraine, maybe we should send them to Rwanda as well?

The figure I read was around 70% are genuine refugees, not sure who came up with that though. Either way, sending genuine asylum seekers to Rwanda is fucked up IMO. 

What's that got to do with Le Tissiers daughter in law getting her knockers out for a few quid?

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Could say the same about those from Ukraine, maybe we should send them to Rwanda as well?

The figure I read was around 70% are genuine refugees, not sure who came up with that though. Either way, sending genuine asylum seekers to Rwanda is fucked up IMO. 

Is there a point in your mind that dinghy crossings could increase to where you would think the number is too high? 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Is there a point in your mind that dinghy crossings could increase to where you would think the number is too high? 

It's too high at the moment, 13,000 people so far this year despite the threat to be sent to Rwanda.

Would you be for people fleeing the war in Ukraine to be sent to Rwanda?

Edited by aintforever

• Lighthouse changed the title to Le Tiss, Boobs and Rubber Dinghies
47 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It's too high at the moment, 13,000 people so far this year despite the threat to be sent to Rwanda.

It’s odd isn’t it. To be the right kind of immigrant it seems you have to be fleeing the right war or the right set of hardship. This won’t make any difference to the posters here of a Priti Patel mindset, but most of these people risk their lives crossing the channel because they speak English rather than French and or have relations here. It makes sense to resettle somewhere where you can communicate and know people doesn’t it? It is ridiculous that to apply for asylum here you have to be here. That encourages these trips in dinghies. If you make it it takes an age to have your case processed and now you face the threat of being sent to Rwanda! It’s not working as a deterrent so far is it? Now that Johnson is at last a busted flush hopefully whoever takes his place will get rid of Patel and bring in sensible and humane measures to deal with this issue. I’m not holding my breath though and it will probably take a change of government before we get some level of decency and humanity applied to these people (who surely have suffered enough already).

Not sure what any of this has got to do with MLT’s daughter in law getting her kit off for money though? 

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

There's clearly no serious prospect of people being sent to Rwanda in huge numbers, it's obviously meant to act as a deterrent. I don't think it would be a particularly successful strategy-although as no one has been sent yet that is as yet unproven- but I'd be interested to hear alternative strategies to deal with the problem. 

With regards to Ukrainians, if they were not applying for the support scheme but were instead rocking up to Britain in dinghies from the channel then I'd be in favour of them being treated in the same way as others who arrive in that manner. Also if individual Ukrainians has committed some awful crimes or something then I'd support their removal. I haven't seen that happen yet so hopefully that's not something to be worried about. 

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

It’s odd isn’t it. To be the right kind of immigrant it seems you have to be fleeing the right war or the right set of hardship. This won’t make any difference to the posters here of a Priti Patel mindset, but most of these people risk their lives crossing the channel because they speak English rather than French and or have relations here. It makes sense to resettle somewhere where you can communicate and know people doesn’t it? It is ridiculous that to apply for asylum here you have to be here. That encourages these trips in dinghies. If you make it it takes an age to have your case processed and now you face the threat of being sent to Rwanda! It’s not working as a deterrent so far is it? Now that Johnson is at last a busted flush hopefully whoever takes his place will get rid of Patel and bring in sensible and humane measures to deal with this issue. I’m not holding my breath though and it will probably take a change of government before we get some level of decency and humanity applied to these people (who surely have suffered enough already).

Not sure what any of this has got to do with MLT’s daughter in law getting her kit off for money though? 

Hasn't stopped you droning on again though has it.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

It’s odd isn’t it. To be the right kind of immigrant it seems you have to be fleeing the right war or the right set of hardship. T

Unlike Soggy not to know the difference between an 'immigrant' and an 'asylum seeker'.  Probably has never met either in his leafy suburb.  Still won't stop him harping on about it though.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

With regards to Ukrainians, if they were not applying for the support scheme but were instead rocking up to Britain in dinghies from the channel then I'd be in favour of them being treated in the same way as others who arrive in that manner. 

That’s the point, there is no similar support scheme for people fleeing certain other wars. I remember watching question time a while ago and there was a lady who had family in Afghanistan who were terrified of the Taliban. She was happy to pay for their flights and give them a home but there was no mechanism like the Ukraine one to help her

• Like 1