• Adam A.
    • Fraser
    • Charles
    • Adams
    • Bree
    • Aribo

On 30/09/2023 at 16:57, The Cat said:

Weirdly quiet on here after a win. 

Why do people like to moan more than they do celebrate?

We all enjoyed yesterday’s game but before cupping your ear to the forum, let’s see six points against Stoke and Rotherham. Then there might be some justification. The league table is still unacceptable for the resources he has available and the Sky pundits were very clear about this yesterday.

Let’s hope for more displays like yesterday and quiet satisfaction/praise from the fanbase and forum.

• Like 11

Good to stop the slide of the last four games, brining with it a confidence boost as well as the three points.

We had a very effective opening spell, moving the ball with more intent than we’ve shown for a while. The players were working hard for each other and to keep the shape that Martin was looking for. We pressed well as a unit, keeping them pinned back and getting us the momentum in the match.

Martin’s changed a few things, which is good to see. He has made some tweaks before, but as results have slipped at least he’s not been bloody mindedly going down with the ship. We did see a lot of the things he’s been trying from the start of his time here too, so it’s not as though he’s jettisoned everything either.

AA took both his shots really well. They were from tough angles and pleased to see an outcome from all the hard work he puts in.

I was a little doubtful at the team, not seeing Adams or Charles in there. Smallbone and Stu in there might leave us a bit light defensively, while AA in the front three might make him tracking back a bit tougher.

But there was a lot of players interchanging going on, with a more solid back four. When KWP did cut in, he was more supported in doing so. AA did a huge amount of work. We saw a good game from Stu, supporting, being direct and being solid when he needed to be too. It was a reminder of why we were so much better when he was in Ralph’s teams, and hopefully he’s getting back to his best.

Smallbone is key to a Martin team and has been for a while now, even in the defeats. He provides an outlet across the pitch for the others, always taking up space and being available for the pass. In this game we saw him switch more with Alcaraz effectively.

One area to work on is defensively. He was breezed past on a couple of occasions, was in the pack who failed to block their goal, and can’t seem to get a key foot in to stop their attacks as often as you’d like. But lots of positives apart from that.

Alcaraz’s pace made him more dynamic than Adams when we needed to get back. Smallbone can put in a cynical tackle when needed, as well as getting a very good goal, from taking up a good position.

Leeds didn’t push up much, so we didn’t get to see too much of Sulemana’s pace. But he’s clearly going to be key in our attacking line. He had the vision to tee up his teammates.

To balance some of the above, Leeds were probably one of the few teams in the division who like to play towards a philosophy of their own, as Farke showed at Norwich.

They didn’t try to out muscle us in midfield, they didn’t close down Bazunu much (or the key stumbling point of the player who gets it right after that in our own half) and they didn’t exploit the gaps in behind our fullbacks the way previous opponents had either (although we left less space there than previously anyway).

We did manage to make a few unforced errors at the back, such as Manning standing on the ball in our penalty area or Bednarek making a poor pass across the back. Nothing that Leeds got to capitalise fully on.  it was comforting to see we had more players back than normal, for such scenarios, offering cover further up too and at our own attacking corners for a change.

Lots of positives, and we’ll see how it stands up to dealing with teams who set up with a more direct, physical style.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tisspahars said:

Bizarrely (or not!) not a single person has come on to say they lost money backing Leeds yesterday. If they had won of course......

I did but it was more in the hope of jinxing a Leeds win than anything else.  I don't really bet much but I'm happy to do the same until it becomes unlucky and Saints start losing again.

• Like 1

I put a lump on Leeds to get something when we were 3-0 up (at massive odds) just because I was also there in 2005 when they put 4 past us in the second half (and that felt even worse than the other second half Saints drubbings I've witnessed)....On Saturday I was very happy to lose the emotional hedge...BTW don't bet kids

I was worried before the game but not with the absolute certainty that some of our regulars have that we'd be stuffed, to the extent that it seems they'll be disappointed we won.

I vaguely remembered the 3-4 scenario but didn't think there was ever that danger this time, even after they scored their goal. There was a degree more organisation and resolution than we've seen of late. In retrospect I even think the arrival of Bree and Aribo as subs was not as strange as it seemed at the time. A bit of physical presence from both, a bit of match practice and a reward to get off the bench, protecting some of the first choices from further injury (or bookings) with  a mind to Tuesday, and a recognition and confidence that Leeds wouldn't get back in it.

As for the absence of SAA and Edozie, the former had a bit of fun for the U-21s and will no doubt get more time. He's 17 and will do a lot better coming in to a winning team. (Incidentally Doyle and Meghoma also looked solid in the U21 win.) As for Edozie: with the games coming thick and fast he'll soon play too, and some of the younger and slighter players will need carefull treatment during a gruelling season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

We all enjoyed yesterday’s game but before cupping your ear to the forum, let’s see six points against Stoke and Rotherham. Then there might be some justification. The league table is still unacceptable for the resources he has available and the Sky pundits were very clear about this yesterday.

Let’s hope for more displays like yesterday and quiet satisfaction/praise from the fanbase and forum.

Exactly - we need to win both of the other games this week to even get us back on track for the play-offs in terms of points per game. We are absolutely miles away from the top two already. If we win every single game in October then maybe we are in the top two picture again.

Winning the odd game is not enough. If we get maximum points this week maybe the oh-ye-of-little-faith brigade can start their told you so crowing. But if we don't, then we remain bimbling about in mid table. Which funnily enough was not the plan this season.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly - we need to win both of the other games this week to even get us back on track for the play-offs in terms of points per game. We are absolutely miles away from the top two already. If we win every single game in October then maybe we are in the top two picture again.

Winning the odd game is not enough. If we get maximum points this week maybe the oh-ye-of-little-faith brigade can start their told you so crowing. But if we don't, then we remain bimbling about in mid table. Which funnily enough was not the plan this season.

Bimbling - it’s a good word. Learnt something. Thanks.

• Like 1

Best performance of the season for me, especially that first half. 

We passed with intent, long and short and were clinical. Front 3 were brilliant. 

Second half I think we managed the game well - Whilst nervous, Leeds never really looked like having a sniff. FWIW, I thought Leeds were very poor. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

Still not in the RM camp.

But just proves what a really really good team we are at this level. 

Just need to continue to play with the handbrake off now.

Have we been playing with a handbrake on before? Not sure what you mean by that. A lack of a handbrake was possibly more of a problem

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dank said:

I put a lump on Leeds to get something when we were 3-0 up (at massive odds) just because I was also there in 2005 when they put 4 past us in the second half (and that felt even worse than the other second half Saints drubbings I've witnessed)....On Saturday I was very happy to lose the emotional hedge...BTW don't bet kids

Echo this... Always best to bet with cash rather than sacrificing one's offspring 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He was immediately further forward than Adams when he came on though?

Yes, I think most of us were a bit surprised, but maybe a big lump up front to disrupt was the plan (as well as protecting some other players). The squad is generally pretty lightweight physically, including the U21s coming through. It's the sort of role Lyanco would have taken if he were still here.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2023 at 20:00, Dman said:

Could be our biggest spanking of the season yet. Look like the best team in the leauge at the minute. 

Piroe to show why he's absolutely nothing like Adam Armstrong. 

Same team as today I guess - not sure it really matters at this point. 

0-4 and St Marys to turn really, really toxic. 

😉

On 23/09/2023 at 20:00, Dman said:

Could be our biggest spanking of the season yet. Look like the best team in the leauge at the minute. 

Piroe to show why he's absolutely nothing like Adam Armstrong. 

Same team as today I guess - not sure it really matters at this point. 

0-4 and St Marys to turn really, really toxic. 

To be fair I can't judge a player by one game. 

But one thing you did get right Piroe played nothing like Armstrong