Sir Bobby Charlton RIP

Gloucester Saint

A gentleman in the game and a cannonball of a shot. Terrific player for his club and country, and a bona fide world superstar. Remember holidays as a kid in Spain and Greece and my old man engaging with the locals about football (any excuse), the four names that would always came up were Greaves, Moore, Best and Charlton. 

Went to Morecambe's old ground when Sir Bobby opened the stand that had been named in his honour - Dave Jones brought Saints up for a game to commemorate the occasion. MLT and Bobby Charlton at the same game, our sons were very happy.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

The trouble is, when your boyhood hero dies, it serves to remind you that you are getting old too. Sir Bobby was in my opinion, the greatest ever. Imagine what he could have been like with the quality of pitches we have now. When you look back on the old clips of him playing, many of the pitches looked like recently plowed fields. A genius, a legend, and an extremely humble man too. RIP Sir.

• Like 2

Back in the 60s I recall an FA Cup match against MU at a packed Dell when Saints went in at half time 2-0 up thanks to a Martin Chivers goal and a (rare) Terry Paine header. The second half though was a different matter and my lasting memory is of Charlton taking over the centre circle and spraying exquisite passes left and right as though our defence had completely melted away. MU ran out winners 2-3.

As an aside, I glimpsed him again at the station as their train was about to depart and remember being shocked as he was sat by the window in full view ...... smoking a cigarette!!!! Different times I know but without doubt in my mind the best English player of his generation. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Slowly losing the 1966 generation. Before my time but apparently one of the cleanest strikers of the ball ever. 

I wouldn’t say slowly, I think we’ve now lost the entire ‘66 final team - apart from Moore, Ball and Hurst - in the space of about four years. He was also the last remaining survivor of the Munich air disaster, which must have been a truly harrowing ordeal and haunted him for the rest of his life.

• Sad 2