The 200 Club

gio1saints

Both Jan and Stu are on the cusp of 200 appearances for Saints. This is a major milestone. 

If my research is correct, Jan is currently on 197 and Stu is on 196. 

Both are well short of our all time appearances players but if both remain fit and playing this time next season they could make the Saints first 11 all time for EPL and Championship  (or Div 1&2) -  if I understand correctly.
Corrections humbly accepted.

Which enters at least Saints Hall of Fame category if not “Legends”. 

A Polish flag from the international team with “congratulations on 200 matches for Saints Jan “ written in Polish, and ditto a Scottish international flag saying “ congratulations on 200 matches Stu” written in Scottish dialect might be a cool thing to get created and display perhaps present to them after the respective matches? 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Both Jan and Stu are on the cusp of 200 appearances for Saints. This is a major milestone. 

Both are well short of our all time appearances players but if both remain fit and playing this time next season they could make the Saints first 11 all time for EPL and Championship  (or Div 1&2) -  if I understand correctly.

A Polish flag from the international team with “congratulations on 200 matches for Saints Jan “ written in Polish, and ditto a Scottish international flag saying “ congratulations on 200 matches Stu” written in Scottish dialect might be a cool thing to get created and display perhaps present to them after the respective matches? 

As  "a bit of a nerd " with stats

I agree that  200 is a notable landmark nowadays, but historically not so unusual as several dozen others who have reached that mark.

A  lot fewer have passed 300 .....  and (on my count) .... barely a dozen are members of  " the 400 club "

they include MLT 540,  Mick Channon 510,  Jason Dodd 466 Nick Holmes 444  John Sydenham 401

Interestingly;   ** Claus Lundekvam is the only " non-Brit" to get past 400 games for Saints.

Edited by david in sweden

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

'200 games? Get tae f*ck!' Something like that? Only joking, of course. Well done to both of them. 

40 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a noddy idea. 

They should present supporters with a “Thanks for watching our 200 appearances, of which the majority were shite” flag. 

With saints supporters like you who needs opponents. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Great research Gio! 

All joking aside, I'm actually quite impressed with Bednarek knuckling down after it looked like he was done here.

Far from the greatest CB we've had - and yes, the PL looked a notch above him at times.

But a good servant who's been key to our fortunes thus far this season. We've seen a decent return on that initial £5m outlay.

• Like 15

On 12/01/2024 at 14:02, ant said:

All joking aside, I'm actually quite impressed with Bednarek knuckling down after it looked like he was done here.

Far from the greatest CB we've had - and yes, the PL looked a notch above him at times.

But a good servant who's been key to our fortunes thus far this season. We've seen a decent return on that initial £5m outlay.

Well said couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

One thing that's really stood out for me this season with JB is that he never seems to be caught badly out of position and then having to bust a gut to get in a last ditch block/tackle, like he used to with alarming regularity (and varying degrees of success) in the PL.

The first thought that occurs is that he's up against inferior attacking players in this league, of course. But I wonder if it is also partly to do with now playing in a completely different system than he was being asked to under Ralph's management? 

I heard the taters mention on Saturday that he has had more touches than any other Saints player so far this season. Maybe he looked calamitous at times in the PL because he was just never really suited to that style of play, where we expected to have less possession than our opponents and he had less protection in front of him due to our high pressing tactics and, when Romeu wasn't playing, our inadequate DM options.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Both of them are far far away from even being considered legends. Both will be long forgotten as soon as they hang up their boots.

Agreed they are neither ever going to be legends ( unless Beds or Stu scores a winner/Hattrick in the 2024FA cup final win over Liverpool) but point I was making was that 200 was entering Hall of Fame category. 200 League appearances for both is a high and merit worthy achievement for any Saints player. 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I heard the taters mention on Saturday that he has had more touches than any other Saints player so far this season. Maybe he looked calamitous at times in the PL because he was just never really suited to that style of play, where we expected to have less possession than our opponents and he had less protection in front of him due to our high pressing tactics and, when Romeu wasn't playing, our inadequate DM options.

You might be right though quality of opposition is the main factor for sure. 

I honestly did not think Jan could play this way and to see his renaissance under RM has been a revelation this season. He’s an automatic starter, regained his international #5 shirt for Poland and is the on pitch tempo lead for our PB football in absence of JS. Either football style suits him or the forwards are easier to play against - or more likely a bit of both. 

FWIW

Jan is currently the outstanding CB #1 in the championship for passes, progressive passes and pass completion percentage.  Source https://fbref.com/en/players/4115ce4e/Jan-Bednarek

Well worthy of special acknowledgement when he hits 200 matches in a Saints shirt. Oh, and as a point of reference a previous foreign CB called Jose Fonte Baby, I believe, managed 286 games for Saints so some way to go! .😁

Edited by gio1saints

Tsk. I clicked, hoping to join an offshoot club of the CoT. 🙂

Also grumpy because the radio was praising Coleman for a record no of appearances...  well done... In the PL era... don't give a monkeys...

Both Stu and Bedders have come back really well this season. Part opposition quality, part stability, part fitness for Stu, part system and part enjoyable working environment. Oh and winning a bit.

Definitely worth presenting Bedders with a voucher for excel, for those stats. 🙂

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

One thing that's really stood out for me this season with JB is that he never seems to be caught badly out of position and then having to bust a gut to get in a last ditch block/tackle, like he used to with alarming regularity (and varying degrees of success) in the PL.

The first thought that occurs is that he's up against inferior attacking players in this league, of course. But I wonder if it is also partly to do with now playing in a completely different system than he was being asked to under Ralph's management? 

I think there is a big case to be made that none of the defenders from the last couple of seasons can be judged too harshly* because they had an absolute shit show going on in front of them. Everyone at the club forgot how to play football for a couple of years. 

*Except Lyanco, he’s toilet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Agreed they are neither ever going to be legends ( unless Beds or Stu scores a winner/Hattrick in the 2024FA cup final win over Liverpool) but point I was making was that 200 was entering Hall of Fame category. 200 League appearances for both is a high and merit worthy achievement for any Saints player. 

They've both got a way to go to get to 200 League appearance, don't think they can achieve that this season, even if we were to play in the play-off final (if that counts as a League game). 

I always felt a bit sorry for Bednarek. He never really got to learn from anyone decent while here apart from Van Dijk briefly before he left, although I don't think they ever played together. No Fonte, Lovren or Alderweireld.

6 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Both of them are far far away from even being considered legends. Both will be long forgotten as soon as they hang up 

Everyone below Jan Bednarek is forgotten right? 🤭https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-southampton/rekordspieler/verein/180

erm Peter Shilton, Ivan Golac, Marian Pahars, Mark Wright…..and so on…  it’s rather a long list of forgotten nonentities. 

Edited by gio1saints

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Everyone below Jan Bednarek is forgotten right? 🤭https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-southampton/rekordspieler/verein/180

If you think i can be bothered following some random link just for you to make a point think again. He is at best average and at times a liability when we were in the prem

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

If you think i can be bothered following some random link just for you to make a point think again. He is at best average and at times a liability when we were in the prem

Ivan Golac, one our greatest full backs. A hero to many. 173 times played for saints but forgotten by everyone. 🤭. Not by me- or you. 😂

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Exactly my point - it isn't the number of games somebody plays that makes us remember them, it is how good they were.

Playing 200 matches in a saints shirt IS praiseworthy. You don’t play 200 matches in a Saints shirt if you are shite. DO click on the link- it’s fun to see who actually is on that list of playing over 200 Saints matches. And how many of them you think are unworthy of praise. 

Edited by gio1saints

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

197 and 196 appearances - 3 or 4 matches, 

Now I can post again I can explain, in your pre ious post you were referring to League appearances (before that you were talking all competitions). Both Stu and Jan currently sit on 176 League appearances, so can't get to 200 this season. Of course they can get to 200 in all comps in about a month, but that isn't what you were talking about in the post that I replied to. Personally I think 200 league appearances is a decent milestone.

22 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Now I can post again I can explain, in your pre ious post you were referring to League appearances (before that you were talking all competitions). Both Stu and Jan currently sit on 176 League appearances, so can't get to 200 this season. Of course they can get to 200 in all comps in about a month, but that isn't what you were talking about in the post that I replied to. Personally I think 200 league appearances is a decent milestone.

Yup I agree. I think that the times of one player one club are behind us so it’s especially a good milestone. 

Players are bought and sold- and managers- like new mobiles. Basically they’re replaced or “upgraded” regularly and their useful lifespan is countable in much shorter timescales than say twenty years ago.

Which directly impacts upon the nature of the typical supporter with their club. If it’s a revolving door of new players and new managers owned by new owners what’s to love? And why? 

Pretty soon 200 matches one team will be regarded as extraordinary rather than ah is that so kind of response. Bit sad hence why I’m trying to resist , futilely, the tide. 😇

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 12:21, david in sweden said:

As  "a bit of a nerd " with stats

I agree that  200 is a notable landmark nowadays, but historically not so unusual as several dozen others who have reached that mark.

A  lot fewer have passed 300 .....  and (on my count) .... barely a dozen are members of  " the 400 club "

they include MLT 540,  Mick Channon 510,  Jason Dodd 466 Nick Holmes 444  John Sydenham 401

Interestingly;   ** Claus Lundekvam is the only " non-Brit" to get past 400 games for Saints.

What about Terry Paine's 816 appearance in a Saints shirt or are you too young to remember him? Will never be surpassed ever.

We old timers worshiped the lad and he is still around and kicking even if we don't see him at St Mary's much these days.

Absolutely the ONLY true Saints legend!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What about Terry Paine's 816 appearance in a Saints shirt or are you too young to remember him? Will never be surpassed ever.

We old timers worshiped the lad and he is still around and kicking even if we don't see him at St Mary's much these days.

Absolutely the ONLY true Saints legend!

OOPs ! We maybe in a similar generation ?, ..I saw my first game in January 1959......and watched the 1960's teams through into the First Division promotion.

I went back to correct an error in my original post, and seemingly " lost " Terry's incredible record of appearances somewhere ... in the edit.

A sad oversight on my part about one of my favourite players. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IF Stu and Jan play the next match v Rotherham they both complete 200 appearances for Saints at the same time. 
Would be nice to recognise this at the match and especially by Saints social media…😉

• Haha 1