Next season fantasy squad

ally_uk

Is this assuming we don't go back up? 

We'll immediately lose KWP, THB, Bednarek, Downes, S. Armstrong and Che at the very least I'd imagine. First thing to do would be to get on the phone to City and West Ham to see if we can get either of the two loanees back, immediately. I can't imagine THB coming back but I have a slight hope for Downes, whether on loan or us scraping together £10m~ on a perm. Looking at the list below, it really looks essential for us to keep hold of Bednarek.

GK: Max O'Leary (Bristol City)/Viktor Johansson (Rotherham), Gavin Bazunu, Joe Lumley

RB: ?, James Bree
CB: Jack Stephens, ?
CB: ?, ?
LB: Ryan Manning, Juan Larios

DM: Flynn Downes (West Ham), Shea Charles
CM: Joe Aribo, Will Smallbone
CM: Callum O'Hare (Coventry), ?

RW: Adam Armstrong, Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Tyler Dibling
ST: Ross Stewart, Sekou Mara, Dom Ballard
LW: Ryan Fraser, Sam Edozie

A lot of work that'd need done, particularly in the defence/midfield. I can't see any of the players currently loaned out returning. Sulemana probably get added to the loaned out list. 

Half of the job in this league is the best utilisation of your 5 loans, it seems.

Regardless, just wasted 10 minutes of work time because we'll be winning the play-offs anyway.

New GK 

KWP (ha, no chance)

THB (decides that despite not getting promoted he's happy here - again... HA, no chance)

New CB

New LB

New DM

New CM

New CM

AA

Ross (if he has risen from the dead by then, New Signing if not)

Fraser (or New Signing). 

Pretty much how I see it.

46 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

What players would you keep and who would you sell? 

Start with replacing the manager. Russell has shown the world that he'll never be more than a middling Championship manager. That's his level.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Realistically:

Bazunu; Bree Stephens NEW Manning; Charles Smallbone Aribo; Arma Stewart Fraser. 

Besides the front 3, the rest of the team is concerning.

Despite my frustrations over the last couple of months I've not not enjoyed this season. Still think we've got a shot in the playoffs so will reserve judgement until after then

Same as every season I just want a striker, a keeper and a defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

Assuming we don't go up...

Honestly, who knows? So many variables.

KWP off. THB off. Adams off. Probably at least one of Stewie or Aribo to manage the wage bill? Hopefully get some cash for Sulemana and Mara.

Can we keep hold of Bednarek? I'd like to, but maybe he'll want to leave.

Downes? Hopefully we can persuade him to join.

Fraser? Hopeful we can sign him.

That leaves us needing a rebuild at the back. In an ideal world that would include GK.

We would also want to strengthen at centre mid to give us a bit more defensive protection (and if Downes doesn't stay we would need to replace).

Up front, you'd hope we would still be pretty strong though:

Fraser, Edozie, Stewart (inshallah), Armstrong A, Amo Ameyaw, Dibbling 

16 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Is this assuming we don't go back up? 

We'll immediately lose KWP, THB, Bednarek, Downes, S. Armstrong and Che at the very least I'd imagine. First thing to do would be to get on the phone to City and West Ham to see if we can get either of the two loanees back, immediately. I can't imagine THB coming back but I have a slight hope for Downes, whether on loan or us scraping together £10m~ on a perm. Looking at the list below, it really looks essential for us to keep hold of Bednarek.

GK: Max O'Leary (Bristol City)/Viktor Johansson (Rotherham), Gavin Bazunu, Joe Lumley

RB: ?, James Bree
CB: Jack Stephens, ?
CB: ?, ?
LB: Ryan Manning, Juan Larios

DM: Flynn Downes (West Ham), Shea Charles
CM: Joe Aribo, Will Smallbone
CM: Callum O'Hare (Coventry), ?

RW: Adam Armstrong, Sam Amo-Ameyaw, Tyler Dibling
ST: Ross Stewart, Sekou Mara, Dom Ballard
LW: Ryan Fraser, Sam Edozie

A lot of work that'd need done, particularly in the defence/midfield. I can't see any of the players currently loaned out returning. Sulemana probably get added to the loaned out list. 

Half of the job in this league is the best utilisation of your 5 loans, it seems.

Regardless, just wasted 10 minutes of work time because we'll be winning the play-offs anyway.

Impressive list and comments Saint Matty.  I'd go along with many of your suggestions but have a few other thoughts.

Goalies:  Thanks and goodbye Macca, but I was also impressed by the Rotherham keeper Johansson. Yes, I know they are bottom pf the league,

but I have always maintained that a keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him  and memory says that Pickford was Sunderland keeper

when they were relegated but he survived and moved to Everton (and England).  Bazunu will improve and Lumley may well be a good extra keeper. 

FB : I think Bree is a good full back and didn't do a lot wrong before the harsh red card (should have been yellow) and an Oscar to the Ipswich attacker.

Manning may have been RM's favourite at Swansea, but he has a hard time convincing Saints fans.  Larios  is still an unknown quantity , and still

fairly young for the LB role.  I'd take back Roman Perraud (presently on loan) ..who is no worse than Manning.

CB : Difficult this one.  Will THB stay ?..and also Bednarek who wanted away last summer ?.Stephens still has a lot of mileage in him but this position needs sorting.

MF: once again..will Downes stay ?.and what is Shea Charles best role ?  Aribo and Smallbone have improved a lot, but we really need a tough Case / Marsden type.   I agree with the interest in O'Hare, and he looks a real handful.   Brooks would be a good buy - if he wants to stay.

WINGERS  / STRIKERS: A mixed bag here . Sam A-A and Sam Edozie are exciting prospects but doubtful if they are automatic choices for a whole season?  but hope we can keep Fraser.  Amongst the younger talents.. both Dibling and a fit Ballard would liven up a strike force, but neither of them    is a 38/ 46 game player , and I am still unconvinced that Mara ( like Alcarez)  is really "one for our future". 

Thankfully ....in Adam Armstrong, we have a 20 goal striker who doubles up as a good defender in almost every game. ( My player of the season ).   

It really is time for Che Adams to move on ..he's always put in a good shift and taken the knocks up front, but the Middlesboro game showed his vulnerability as a top-end striker.  Ross Stewart maybe the answer to my lifelong wish for a " big centre forward " type  (in the mould of Davies, Beattie, Lambert and Pellbut we only get one of those every generation.  IF  Stewart stays fit and scores goals it's no problem, but we do need              an "extra" striker with real League experience.

Edited by david in sweden

16 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Realistically:

Bazunu; Bree Stephens NEW Manning; Charles Smallbone Aribo; Arma Stewart Fraser. 

Don't think this is too bad when you add four or five loans, the young players and a couple of signings.

1 minute ago, Bob60 said:

Don't think this is too bad when you add four or five loans, the young players and a couple of signings.

That midfield for this level is really bad, we'd never have any control in games. We need a hell of a lot better than Smallbone if we are to see the best of Charles.

5 hours ago, benjii said:

Assuming we don't go up...

Honestly, who knows? So many variables.

KWP off. THB off. Adams off. Probably at least one of Stewie or Aribo to manage the wage bill? Hopefully get some cash for Sulemana and Mara.

Can we keep hold of Bednarek? I'd like to, but maybe he'll want to leave.

Downes? Hopefully we can persuade him to join.

Fraser? Hopeful we can sign him.

That leaves us needing a rebuild at the back. In an ideal world that would include GK.

We would also want to strengthen at centre mid to give us a bit more defensive protection (and if Downes doesn't stay we would need to replace).

Up front, you'd hope we would still be pretty strong though:

Fraser, Edozie, Stewart (inshallah), Armstrong A, Amo Ameyaw, Dibbling 

Isn’t Stewie out of contract?

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That midfield for this level is really bad, we'd never have any control in games. We need a hell of a lot better than Smallbone if we are to see the best of Charles.

I am not saying or assuming that would be the starting lineup and assume that area would be improved with loans or signings as per my post.

• Like 1

Only thing I would add, if we don’t go up, what about the kids in the academy. 

Haven’t heard a lot about if any of them are ready to make the step up to the First team. 

Im talking particularly about our U18 scholars. I would not want a team of kids next season, but just wondering if a couple in there are nuggets worth giving a go. 

Either attacking or defensively. 

52 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

The loan army return and we re-start with:

Lis

Payne   ABK   DCC  Perraud

Lyanco Alcaraz Vokins

Ballard   Tall Paul   Merry

I can genuinely see Charly, ABK and Perraud back in the mix - who is going to touch ABK after this season? At this stage it's probably in his and our best interests to keep hold of him next year, get him a season under his belt and see where he goes. He will still hold value as he has a long contract, so we're not losing out. I imagine takers will be low anyway, needs a season to build his value again.

Edited by S-Clarke

On 03/04/2024 at 12:21, S-Clarke said:

I can genuinely see Charly, ABK and Perraud back in the mix - who is going to touch ABK after this season? At this stage it's probably in his and our best interests to keep hold of him next year, get him a season under his belt and see where he goes. He will still hold value as he has a long contract, so we're not losing out. I imagine takers will be low anyway, needs a season to build his value again.

Quite a few in Europe I would think.

Alex McCarthy, Stu and Che will leave at the end of the season when their contracts expire.

If we don’t go up, we will have no chance of signing THB and Downes, I suspect Brooks will have prem suiters and I doubt we could afford Fraser’s salary. I suspect that Rothwell is the only loanee that we would have a chance of signing permanently.

KWP will certainly be off this summer regardless of if we promoted due to his contract situation. Sule will go out on loan as we won’t find anyone willing to pay the price we are asking. Juventus will likely get Charlie on another loan. I suspect that Bednerak will want to leave and Mara I suspect will push for a move for more consistent gametime.

I would imagine that we might look to offload Aribo due to his high wages, same with our loanees like Lyanco, Tall Paul and Perraud

That leaves us with the below squad:

GK: Baz, Lumley, Lis

FB: Bree, Manning, Larios, Meghoma

CB: Stephens, Lawrence

CM: Smallbone, Charles

AM: Edozie, SAA, Dibbling

F: Stewart, A.Armstrong, Ballard