Happy Days

washsaint

As so many of you miserable buggers can't find a good word to say about anything related to our club maybe this will bring a smile to your faces?

https://fb.watch/rirgkVY07Z/

That day was unforgettable: last day at the Dell and for Matt to come on and score a screamer to clinch the game was a thing that had grown men in tears (I certainly was).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Best day for me was being at Fratton Park in 1984 .....Steve Moran scoring a last minute winner ......pure bliss!

You lads of that era had an unbelievable few years. FA cup win, promotion, league cup final, European tours, finishing second, 84 at Fratton, it’s just a shame we never won more, should have won the FA cup again in 84 really, Ipswich won the UEFA no reason why we couldn’t have. Plus it was all before football became a corporate machine for a TV audience. 

sadly I was that little bit too young for it all. That period of 76-85 has to be the best period in our history by some distance, apart from now obviously. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Is anyone old enough to remember when we went on that 25 games unbeaten run - those were the days. 

I have a vague recollection, I think we went up as champions that year with something like 120 points. It was the same year I had to take out a restraining order on Margot Robbie and the CIA asked me to be president of the USA. It’s all coming back to me now. 

• Haha 3

My happy days were definitely 89/90. We should have finished third and we should have won the League Cup.

The football we played was scintillating at times, Rod Wallace was very much underrated and love 'Donny and Razor' in defence. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

My happy days were definitely 89/90. We should have finished third and we should have won the League Cup.

The football we played was scintillating at times, Rod Wallace was very much underrated and love 'Donny and Razor' in defence. 

Losing to Oldham in the quarters :facepalm:

Also pretty sure if we'd won our last two games we would have finished 3rd. 

What a team that was, it had the perfect balance, great young team with a few experienced heads in there to help them along. 

Pretty lucky to have started going to games the season after the FA Cup win, having watched that as a fan on the TV. 

@Turkish mentioned above we were spoilt at the time (76 to 84) but it almost seemed normal then for us to be winning games with exciting teams playing great football and a mix of older and younger players.  As a youngster you knew no different....

Was at the League Cup 79 final which was heartbreaking, Dellhurst Park (which was brilliant), last game at Dell (just incredible), the 2003 FA Cup final (kinda expected to lose), Milan for the Europa with my son - all great days out in hindsight. 

But my absolute favourite was the JPT final.  As a STH we were entitled to 2 tickets each so my parents and son could all go.  Best of all was sitting in Wembley at 4-0 up, with 60 minutes gone, knowing for certain that we were going to win the match.  Relaxing into the final 30 minutes of a final (or any other game) is soooo not Saints....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chuz said:

But my absolute favourite was the JPT final.  As a STH we were entitled to 2 tickets each so my parents and son could all go.  Best of all was sitting in Wembley at 4-0 up, with 60 minutes gone, knowing for certain that we were going to win the match.  Relaxing into the final 30 minutes of a final (or any other game) is soooo not Saints....

What a great day that was. 50K Saints fans packed into Wembley watching a real quality team. The atmosphere on the way up too was electric with many cars and coaches adorned with Saints Flags and plenty of horn blowing. Mr grandsons eyes as large as saucers as we got to our seats. Yep, that was quite a day and we were on the up under Markus' stewardship.

• Like 1

Interesting how we took 50,000 to Wembley that day but yesterday the EFL trophy between  Peterborough and Wycombe only  attracted a total of 42,000 between them. We certainly have the fans when doing well and chance of winning a trophy !!

Edited by 64saint

On 07/04/2024 at 18:58, Turkish said:

You lads of that era had an unbelievable few years. FA cup win, promotion, league cup final, European tours, finishing second, 84 at Fratton, i

It wasn’t that good, our possession stats weren’t good enough & we lacked bravery where it mattered. Fuck me, Shilton even used to boot most goalkicks straight up the pitch & don’t get me started on our fullbacks, unbelievably they didn’t ever drift into centre midfield. 

• Haha 4

On 08/04/2024 at 09:54, Turkish said:

Losing to Oldham in the quarters :facepalm:

Also pretty sure if we'd won our last two games we would have finished 3rd. 

What a team that was, it had the perfect balance, great young team with a few experienced heads in there to help them along. 

yeah, Andy Ritchie late equaliser at The Dell and we didn't turn up on their plastic pitch for the replay. 

If we had won at Arsenal and then Spurs, we would have been 3rd and qualified for Europe, except we were banned anyway. 

On 07/04/2024 at 18:58, Turkish said:

You lads of that era had an unbelievable few years. FA cup win, promotion, league cup final, European tours, finishing second, 84 at Fratton, it’s just a shame we never won more, should have won the FA cup again in 84 really, Ipswich won the UEFA no reason why we couldn’t have. Plus it was all before football became a corporate machine for a TV audience. 

sadly I was that little bit too young for it all. That period of 76-85 has to be the best period in our history by some distance, apart from now obviously. 

Can’t disagree it was all that and more.

6 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

yeah, Andy Ritchie late equaliser at The Dell and we didn't turn up on their plastic pitch for the replay. 

If we had won at Arsenal and then Spurs, we would have been 3rd and qualified for Europe, except we were banned anyway. 

4th minute of injury time. I was in the Milton and it was right in front of me. Gutted wasn't the word. The round before that was one of my favourite Saints games. Swindon home, 2-0 down at half time, pulled it back to 2-2 in normal time, Barry Horne volley to equaliser, then won it 4-2 in extra time with an MLT free kick and Rod Wallace i think. 

• Like 1