Play-Off watch

SNSUN

Last 6 games and points for the play off teams. 

Leeds 7 

Saints 9

Norwich 9

WBA 5

Hull 12

Assuming 4 of these 5 make it. 

Hull have picked up after a pretty bad run saw them almost drop out of contention and if they get in you could see why they would be that 6th placed team on a run to be feared. But we won't be playing the semi against them. 

But no team is storming it. Lots of talk of Norwich but they aren't playing brilliantly. As far as I can tell. 

It's our own form and confidence we need to sort. That's the obvious worry. Need a performance at Leeds. 

Stick this on, have a beer.

Since Cardiff we've had one eye on the playoffs and getting people enough mins but not being dead on their feet. Yes we don't want to erode confidence but also if we lose Adams, Downes or Aribo we are screwed with Stuey out already.

Worry about next year when we know what's what, but we still have millions of assets out on loan and can easily assemble a very strong squad to go again in this league. In the Prem it's another challenge and we have strengths and clout there too. But that's for another day.

We have to believe we will turn up with our strongest team and fired up. 

The criticism and negativity is a real shame,  although understandable. Any other season we are up automatically (EDIT - before taking our foot off the gas the last few matches) despite the rebuild and churn RM had to inherit,  we're still in with a massive shot this year, so let's go and get behind the players and the manager! We've beaten WBA, Leeds and Norwich are not playing great. Let's be positive and stick with it! 

Edited by chownie20
adding detail
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Just seen there are engineering works on the line to Norwich on the Sunday we're due to play the away leg. Really hope Norwich slip up and West Brom pip them to 5th place.

Also the south section of the M25 is closed around Leatherhead.

I know it's normally quicker to go around the northern section but it reduces the options.

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

Since Cardiff we've had one eye on the playoffs and getting people enough mins but not being dead on their feet. Yes we don't want to erode confidence but also if we lose Adams, Downes or Aribo we are screwed with Stuey out already.

Worry about next year when we know what's what, but we still have millions of assets out on loan and can easily assemble a very strong squad to go again in this league. In the Prem it's another challenge and we have strengths and clout there too. But that's for another day.

The criticism and negativity is a real shame,  although understandable. Any other season we are up automatically despite the rebuild and churn RM had to inherit,  we're still in with a massive shot this year, so let's go and get behind the players and the manager! We've beaten WBA, Leeds and Norwich are not playing great. Let's be positive and stick with it! 

I do love the build up music this season. Last time it peaked was when Muse - Uprising was playing just as the teams did their huddle on the pitch back in 2016!

Music aside, completely agree with what you say. There’s more than enough “ability” in our squad and our loaned out players.
My guess is we’ll try and cash in on a lot of these this summer.

The squad will look very different but we will be a huge pull for the division for players whose clubs maybe aren’t quite at the level we’re at.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see as poach the odd player from fellow Championship clubs. I’d hope we had also been doing some scouting in League One this season, there’s the odd gem in there too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chownie20 said:

The criticism and negativity is a real shame,  although understandable. Any other season we are up automatically despite the rebuild and churn RM had to inherit,  we're still in with a massive shot this year, so let's go and get behind the players and the manager! We've beaten WBA, Leeds and Norwich are not playing great. Let's be positive and stick with it! 

I'm with you on this.

2 hours ago, chownie20 said:

Agree, we have to worry about what's to come when we know what's what. I am still finding it hard to get up for the playoffs, but there's still a chance to achieve what we want.

I'd just add that it would be very rare for any team to be promoted with 84 points, if we'd have finished in 4th on 90 points or so then I'd give you that - but 84 points is pretty much top end playoffs 9 seasons out of 10, auto's not really in realm of 84 points.

Prices released for the home game Friday 17th May (8pm) - £30 adult wings/behind goals

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/play-off-semi-final-ticket-information

Sale dates:

Thursday 2nd May - 9.30am - Season Ticket Holders

Tuesday 7th May - 9.30am - All '23/24 Members who've attended one or more home/away games this season.

Wednesday 8th May - 9.30am - Season Ticket Holder Additional (can buy two additional tickets)

Wednesday 8th May - 12.30pm - All '23/24 Members

Thursday 9th May - 9.30am - Supporters with a booking history since the '21/22 season

Not sure I understand why season ticket holder's (two) mates get priority over other supporters that have paid to go to games but don't want to feel mugged off by buying a `membership'. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure I understand why season ticket holder's (two) mates get priority over other supporters that have paid to go to games but don't want to feel mugged off by buying a `membership'. 

Yeah a bit of a joke that for this match  really.

Positive from my point of view is that we're expecting plenty of tickets to be available as I need to wait until the second window to buy for my son.

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I've been to 11 homes and 4 aways this season, despite not being a ST holder or member. Should be some priority based on matches attended more than anything, surely? 

• Like 1

With potentially 3 more games on sky (play off leg 1, 2 and final) plus ticket revenue is going up in the play offs much more lucrative than just finishing 2nd? I think I've worked out our masterplan, good work from Dragan, Martin and the boys to maximise monetisation of promotion 

• Haha 2

I agree about ST holders' friends being a priority group as unfair, especiallly 2 tickets. No reason why it shouldn't be ST, members, then fans who have been this or recent seasons. 

Let's see how it sells with all the optimism around.  

12 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

I've been to 11 homes and 4 aways this season, despite not being a ST holder or member. Should be some priority based on matches attended more than anything, surely? 

Totally agree. I always buy the SaintsPlus membership to get some sort of priority. It's been pretty shit this year because the only games I've managed to get tickets for have been north of Birmingham but at least that membership should get a ticket for the home play off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

I guess its good to reward ST holders for their loyalty, but they already get cheaper match day tickets and are first in the queue for these play off tickets and away tickets etc, so I am not sure why the Southampton football business is giving them the chance to get two tickets for mates at the possible expense of fans that have bought tickets this season. I don't think ST holder expect this or will take into account when making a decision on purchasing a future ST. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

I guess its good to reward ST holders for their loyalty, but they already get cheaper match day tickets and are first in the queue for these play off tickets and away tickets etc, so I am not sure why the Southampton football business is giving them the chance to get two tickets for mates at the possible expense of fans that have bought tickets this season. I don't think ST holder expect this or will take into account when making a decision on purchasing a future ST. 

Part of the sales pitch is priority for cup games.

I don’t see the need for mates though.

• Like 1

Obviously, we've got to get there first. But I do wonder how they'll do Wembley tickets, would attending this play off game give you greater priority, potentially? I feel like we've done similar before on a trip to Wembley.

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Obviously, we've got to get there first. But I do wonder how they'll do Wembley tickets, would attending this play off game give you greater priority, potentially? I feel like we've done similar before on a trip to Wembley.

Be surprised if it isn’t in a similar order to the SF ie ST holders ( in a descending order depending on seats), Members (similar order), then general sale. Only question might be ST buying for others and when that kicks in.

You’d expect the club might have a bit more of a relaxed approach to general sale if it’s WBA/Norwich in the final rather than Leeds 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good to see accuracy on the BBC website thus afternoon (at about 4pm).

E9653843-2FAC-4CE0-88FB-7F96C1E5F1CF.thumb.jpeg.477c3a8981b2e1179e4e34161b9240ef.jpeg

Proof reading a thing of the past 

BBC football pages are f-ing turd.