Season Awards 23/24

Now that we approach the final few games, it’s time to decide on a few winners and losers for the season.

Player Of The Season:

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS):

Best Signing Of The Season:

Worst Signing Of The Season:

Best Match:

Worst Match:

Season Rating:

Russ Rating:

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season:

(More reasons the better, might be a tad early but I’m sure they’ll be a few early entries the way our season is petering out).

Enjoy!

Posted (edited)

Player Of The Season: Adam Armstrong
- it doesn’t matter if a lot of them are taps ins, if it goes in it goes in. Cracking set of assists from him too.

Underwhelming Achievement Award: Gavin Bazunu
- havjng the lowest save percentage two seasons in a row in different leagues is some achievement. Notable mentions for Kamaldeen Sulemana and Sekou Mara.

Best Signing Of The Season: Flynn Downes
- the fact we only win when he plays says it all.

Worst Signing Of The Season: Ross Stewart
- £8M for an injured striker, the one position we needed desperately is bad business and is on the club. Not the manager. That said if he comes on in the Play-Offs and sends us up with a last minute goal he’ll be SOTS.

Best Match: 4-0 vs Blackburn
- just because I was there, ant the time they were touching distance of the Play-Offs and it was an absolutely dominant performance from start to finish.

Worst Match: 5-0 vs Leicester
- I didn’t attend but I heavily backed Leicester pre-match and switched off at 1-0 knowing how predictable defeat would be. Made £30 though.

Season Rating: 8/10
- absolutely loved the EFL. The high highs when you win heavily, and the odd draw or defeat that marks the unpredictability. Haven’t watched any Premier League this season and it’s been joyous.

Russ Rating: 7/10
- really liked the way we play. The style clearly works in some aspects, however I think you need more physical players to reinforce this way of playing. It’s not a case of conceding less but out scoring the opposition, something we’ve had opportunity to do in every game this season and we just haven’t. He’s clearly brought the club and fans together but there needs to be a minor reset in the summer and he needs to learn what a Plan B is.

Maybe promotion? I think just no more humiliation. Another year in the EFL I wouldn’t be against but effectively you need to be challenging for the title rather than just generic promotion.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

Player Of The Season: Flynn Downes (more ‘most important’ player I guess)

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Sulemana (what a let down he’s been)

Best Signing Of The Season: Flynn Downes

Worst Signing Of The Season: Ross Stewart (not his fault)

Best Match: Leeds at home 

Worst Match: Either Leicester game

Season Rating: 7.5 (will go to a 9 if we go up)

Russ Rating: 7 (will go to an 8 if he gets us up)

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: A win at Wembley

Player Of The Season: Adam Armstrong. He's turned up this year, not just with goals but general attacking involvement. KWP isn't far behind but he was somewhat expected to be good, but Adam Armstrong stepped up from a real low bar in my opinion.

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Sulemana. It was seen as a bit of a surprise that we'd kept him and we were all pretty excited, but he has been utterly, utterly woeful. He hasn't even scored a goal in this league. Need to get shot of him in the summer, we'll lose 50% on his value without doubt - but that's on our scouts for their stupidity.

Best Signing Of The Season: Flynn Downes. Kind of an easy one really, I think he's a Xavi type player at this level - knits everything together, box to box, full of running. THB a close run second, but Flynn edges it for me.

Worst Signing Of The Season: Stewart. It can only really be him, not his fault - but the club gambled on an injured striker and low and behold he's been injured all year. We could have waited a year, let him be injured at Sunderland and got him for free this summer.

Best Match: Swansea 1 - 3 Southampton. The first 30 mins of that game were as good as we've been for years, so dominant. It wouldn't have been surprising to have seen us hit 6 in those first 30 mins, we were so good.

Worst Match: Sunderland 5 - 0 Southampton. Sunderland weren't as good this year, but we allowed them to totally destroy us. It was a bit of a humbling really, only just into the season, playing against a normal Championship side and we were destroyed. A lesson of what was to come defensively it has to be said.

Season Rating: 6/10 as it stands. I will always feel a bit underwhelmed by it all, our automatic promotion push was pathetic to say the least - just on the periphery all season. Playoffs always looked guaranteed but I think we could have made more of a fist of it at the top end, we've ended up the worst of the chasers.

Russ Rating: 6/10. Seems a nice guy, we have won lots of games under him - but I somewhat feel they have been a little in spite of Russ given the players we have compared to the lesser teams we play. As soon as we come up against anyone half decent we get taken apart. His wedded faith to a pass the ball philosophy is dumb and will cost him a top level managerial career in my opinion.

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: Goes without saying this season, get up via the playoffs. It will be tough though given that we have struggled against the top 6 sides all year. If we fail my hope for next season is that we can remain competitive at the top end of this level.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Player Of The Season: Downes

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Mara

Best Signing Of The Season: Downes

Worst Signing Of The Season: Stewart

Best Match: Huddersfield H

Worst Match: Blackburn A

Season Rating: 7/10

Russ Rating: 6/10

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: Win this year's playoff or go up next year automatically.

Player Of The Season: Adam Armstrong - top scorer, simple as that

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Bazunu - pure shite

Best Signing Of The Season: - Downes

Worst Signing Of The Season: - Stewart - my god, why

Best Match: - WBA away

Worst Match: - Ipswich home

Season Rating: - 6/10

Russ Rating: - 5/10

Player Of The Season: AArmstrong, easy

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Sulemana, thought he'd tear up the league.

Best Signing Of The Season: Downes/THB tied

Worst Signing Of The Season: Charles/Stewart tied for differing reasons 

Best Match: Huddersfield

Worst Match: Sunderland

Season Rating: 8 if we go up, 6 if not.

Russ Rating: 6.

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: Play-off win. Not happening.

Player Of The Season: Armstrong, we'd be nowhere without his goals

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Bazunu

Worst Signing Of The Season: Charles (in the context that 50% of our budget was spunked on a League 1 player), Manning also up there

Best Match: Leeds home

Worst Match: Sunderland away

Season Rating: 6 - I've enjoyed it on the whole, wouldn't mind staying down again next season as I'm utterly fed up with the Prem

Russ Rating: 5

Sports Republic Rating: 2

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Player Of The Season: Adam ArmstrongKWP a close second.

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Sulemana

Best Signing Of The Season: Downes

Worst Signing Of The Season: Charles. Hoping Stewart will come good next season.

Best Match: 5-3 v Huddersfield

Worst Match: Sunderland away

Season Rating: 7

Russ Rating: 7

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: Win the playoffs!

Player Of The Season: Adam Armstrong 

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): 

Most difficult choice but for me it’s Bazunu, followed by Brooks and Sulemana 

Best Signing Of The Season: Downes

Worst Signing Of The Season: Charles

Best Match: Birmingham away 

Worst Match: Cardiff away 

Season Rating: 6/10 or 8/10 if we win play offs!

Russ Rating: 5/10 or 7/10 if we win play offs

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: A team who give it some fucking beans 

Underwhelming player could easily be any of Mara, Sulemana, Bazunu; and I’m sure they’ll be a few that throw Manning, Charles and Smallbone in there just out of spite. 😂

It’ll be interesting to see if the “Russ rating” drops over the coming weeks.

On 27/04/2024 at 10:01, SambaMaverick said:

Sports Republic Rating: 2

That's rather generous.

If Stewart scores a hat trick in the play off final some here may have to reconsider your Worst Signing of the Season choice!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Player Of The Season: Downes

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Sulemana, Mara - tied

Worst Signing Of The Season: Charles, not terrible, but we had our pants pulled down, yet again !

Best Match: can we have half matches? Ipswich away

Worst Match: several for different reasons. 

Season Rating: 6 with potential to rise to 10

Russ Rating: 6 , his decisions / lack off and stubbornnesses have cost us dearly. Still has time to redeem himself and become a very good manager 

SR - 3 , need Rasmus out the picture 

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season:

this . Wembley win, next autos or Wembley win if we don’t do it this season 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

Player Of The Season: Flynn Downes, the heartbeat of the side.

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Sulemana. 

Best Signing Of The Season: Downes.

Worst Signing Of The Season: Ross Stewart. Not his fault. Stupid club trying to be too clever for it's own good by signing an already injured player.

Best Match: West Brom away. A controlled and assertive performance against one of the leagues tougher sides without our best player.

Worst Match: Both Leicester games. 

Season Rating: 6/10. See below.

Russ Rating: 6/10. Stubborn sod. When he adapts, we are good, sometimes very good. When he sticks stubbornly to his mantra we are predictable and frustrating as hell to watch. I cannot get past the feeling that his block headedness has cost us automatic promotion.

On 27/04/2024 at 08:48, FarehamSaintJames said:

Now that we approach the final few games, it’s time to decide on a few winners and losers for the season.

Player Of The Season: ArmA

Underwhelming Achievement Award (Worst POTS): Manning

Worst Signing Of The Season: Stewart

Best Match: 1st game - I remember really enjoying the 1st match, Sheff Wed away. Otherwise the 4-0 v Blackburn 

Worst Match: Leicester home

Season Rating: 7

Russ Rating: 6

Your one hope for the remainder of the season/next season: Promotion by getting into a 2-0 lead in the final v Norwich and actually changing tactics to comfortably manage the rest of the game into a boring 2-0 win.