Player Freebies

Noodles34

Just reading Franny’s column in The Echo and noticed this 

I plan to travel up and watch the match unless something comes in last minute. But the plan is to go to West Brom and watch the game.”

Two things stick out. 

Has Franny got 11 plus always on his ST?

And how dedicated is someone to go, ‘unless something comes up….’? 
I’m going and would take a lot to come up and when people say “you going on Sunday…?”, my answer is yes, I don’t then say, “unless something comes up”. 

I like Franny, was around in his era and know him in passing. He’s done stuff for me and I’ve done stuff for him, he is a top bloke and to me, a Saints legend. But should he have a tickets over someone who’s done 10 aways and missed out? I don’t know where Franny’s ticket is coming from, maybe Sky and then that dismisses the argument maybe, but if it’s one of the 300 held back for the guest list as such, then not sure it’s right. 

Obviously Cortese set his stall out on freebies and hangers on, maybe too far but he was like, why don’t they pay like everyone else? And I sort of get that. Maybe there’s a specific budget for past players etc. don’t know but just feel sometimes, old players might be expecting too much. 

• Haha 3

Seems a strange thing to get in a twist about. I expect Franny can get tickets from multiple sources: media, sponsors, guests of the club. Players and staff often get them allocated too, particularly home games. It’s always been like this, plenty of tickets never find their way to a general sale and basically remain invite only.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Seems a strange thing to get in a twist about. I expect Franny can get tickets from multiple sources: media, sponsors, guests of the club. Players and staff often get them allocated too, particularly home games. It’s always been like this, plenty of tickets never find their way to a general sale and basically remain invite only.

I'm not really in a twist about it, made it clear that I really like the guy but was watching the Euro Final documentary on Netflix last night, about the final and all that and David Beckham was there, in the nice seats, with Tom Cruise. And yeah, I am being naïve I know, just pisses me off, freeloaders who don't really have an interest (not in Frannys case), but just want to be there. Up the revolution comrades.  

• Like 1

I never understood why some think Franny was a club legend. Great bloke off the pitch no doubt, but as a player he was very limited (putting it politely), he was lucky to play for a PL club for so long, and (unlike MLT) certainly no other one would have been interested in him.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I never understood why some think Franny was a club legend. Great bloke off the pitch no doubt, but as a player he was very limited (putting it politely), he was lucky to play for a PL club for so long, and (unlike MLT) certainly no other one would have been interested in him.

I think you have highlighted exactly why he is considered a club legend, not forgetting that he was also a local lad. 

• Like 11

If an ex player and someone who has become a great ambassador for the club’s real values (not the corporate bollocks) getting some annoys you, imagine your frustration knowing how many freebies the directors and senior staff get for their families and friends. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My uncle has been mates with Gordon Watson for years and consequently I've used his complimentary corporate seats a few times. Lovely stuff. 

Imagine being butthurt because someone like Franny might get a free ticket. You'd like to think someone like him of all people would deserve a ticket whenever he wants one frankly. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

Hope you won't be too disappointed at this @Noodles34

Do the likes of Sammy Saint, Mary Saint and Mahamed Mahamed pay for their tickets? I suspect not, and that's crucial revenue the club could be missing out on. Cortese wouldn't have stood for this nonsense.

Matchday entertainment

We will be joined by a whole host of Saints Legends, with Matt Le Tissier, James Beattie, Franny Benali, Mark Dennis, Nicky Banger, Glenn Cockerill and Peter Rodrigues all in attendance at the match to cheer on Russell Martin’s men. Some of our legends will be making a guest appearance talk as part of our matchday entertainment, something you won’t want to miss.

In the family zone, live music will be starting at 5pm and we will have face painters on hand for fans of all ages.

From 6.45pm we will have competitions, prize giveaways and an interview with the British long-distance runner and local lad Mahamed Mahamed. He recently came fourth at the London Marathon and is the third fastest British marathon runner ever.

Your kids will be able to test their skills in the family zone, with our gameday challenges.

And don’t forget Sammy and Mary Saint will be walking around the ground, so feel free to stop them for photos.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I’m against free loaders getting in just because they’ve worn the red & white. Look at that Mara bloke, how the fuck did he get in the ground. Had a really good view stood there watching the game as well.  I’d prefer to have seen a bloke with 10 aways in there rather than him. Much more deserving. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Hope you won't be too disappointed at this @Noodles34

Do the likes of Sammy Saint, Mary Saint and Mahamed Mahamed pay for their tickets? I suspect not, and that's crucial revenue the club could be missing out on. Cortese wouldn't have stood for this nonsense.

Sammy and Mary Saint!? What happened to Super?

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Sammy and Mary Saint!? What happened to Super?

Hi. 👋

I hear that Man Utd have cancelled the traditional luxury travel and hotels for the WAGs for the cup final - something that used to cost £1000s per person!  They've told them to fund it themselves as part of cost control measures.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Hi. 👋

I hear that Man Utd have cancelled the traditional luxury travel and hotels for the WAGs for the cup final - something that used to cost £1000s per person!  They've told them to fund it themselves as part of cost control measures.

Good, they get paid a wage for a reason. 

I read that it was travel and accommodation cancelled for all of the office staff (stadium and training ground).  It's traditionally been seen as a thank you for all of their hard work throughout the season.  Seems unnecessary tightness to me.  And how much is Anthony being paid a week ??

Anyway, who cares about Manchester United.