Your Local/regular

South City Si

I live in Stanmore, Winchester and I suppose my local is The Stanmore Hotel. Not been in there for years though, it used to be horrible, like drinking in a dark conservatory full of triffids.

Tend to drink in The Eclipse, in the centre of town. A bit pricey, but has olde worlde charm and they know how to keep their ales. Always good for a pint of Old Thumper and a random conversation.

When I lived in Southampton my local was the South Western Arms, which was bloody fantastic.

When I lived in Southampton, the nearest pub to me was a toss between The Englishman and The Regents Park. I used to often frequent the Englishman with my dad.

I would say my local was the Brigh****er Inn in Shirley. Having been going there since I was about 16, I don't think the charm of the place can be beaten. Had some quality sessions down there.

God, I miss Southampton. :(

Local is the Winston in the student house on the corner of Archers Road and Hill Lane.

Not too bad, although for a predominantly student-oriented pub, it's pretty expensive.

I used to live directionally opposite the Winston in the student house on the corner of Howard Road/Hill Lane. Some fantastic times in that house and some good times in the Winston too. You're right about the price, it is ridiculous, but the atmosphere is top notch.

The jukebox is pretty quality too. Oh, the memories. This will definitely be a port of call when I come down for two weeks in October. I cannot wait.

down the road from fair oak my local is the woodman

popped in there for a drink a little while back.....was a lovely little pub, n the landlord was a really nice guy...:)

(and nice smelling handwash and proper hand towels in the ladies :smt023)

i live in Weston, and would class the Gardeners as my local, but have NEVER stepped foot inside it, and will probably NEVER step foot inside it..

went to the Cottage in Butlocks Heath a couple of months back, as it's within walking distance.That's a nice liitle pub too ..

Edited by saint boggy

popped in there for a drink a little while back.....was a lovely little pub, n the landlord was a really nice guy...:)

i live in Weston, and would class the Gardeners as my local, but have NEVER stepped foot inside it, and will probably NEVER step foot inside it..

went to the Cottage in Butlocks Heath a couple of months back, as it's within walking distance.That's a nice liitle pub too ..

Gardeners isn't that great.

Are they both busier than when I lived that way some 18 years ago?

Can you answer? Or was that your third post?

What's that squeaking noise?

Oh! It's you Stu, you're so tight that you need oiling!

Luz is always busy, more of a food pub now.

Baddesley Arms is ok, my mate manages it, which helps.

I have just used one of my posts responding to your message.

Cottage is near where some of my family live - it is a decent pub that one. Hamble has some decent ones as well - I like the King & Queen. Better than any of the old crud on Hayling although I've just bought my tickets for the Ale-ing Festival in October which has cheered me up a bit!

Not personally! I'm sure I've seen him in there though. Is he fat and Welsh or is it an ironic nickname and he's skinny and Scottish?

I don't get in there that often to be honest, despite virtually being able to see it from my front door!

Yeah he's fat and Welsh, paints the white lines on the roads if you ever get chatting to a fat bloke in there who's Welsh :) and he's harmless, just don't let him sit on ya :lol: he kidnapped me once in the Royal South Hants :lol:

• 1 month later...

While I live in Fareham (booo) my geographical local is probably 'The Oast & Squire'. Not a bad pub, more of a restaurant really but tis ok.

I normally frequent these pubs:

The Talisman in Park Gate - They only employ fit females, I am yet to see an ugly one! However, it has turned into a little bit of a 40 somethings singledom in the last few years.

The Rising Sun in Warsash on the shorefront is a good pub.

Silver Fern in Warsash, while a little Chavy is a cheap and cheerful place to drink and they have a big screen for teh footy.

I often pop over the Hamble with my uncle and his mates in his rib during the summer. There are some good pubs over there and the atmosphere is always good, quite often with local weird bands. (That wear things like vegetable drainers on their heads and stuff :rolleyes:)

While I live in Fareham (booo) my geographical local is probably 'The Oast & Squire'. Not a bad pub, more of a restaurant really but tis ok.

I normally frequent these pubs:

The Talisman in Park Gate - They only employ fit females, I am yet to see an ugly one! However, it has turned into a little bit of a 40 somethings singledom in the last few years.

The Rising Sun in Warsash on the shorefront is a good pub.

Silver Fern in Warsash, while a little Chavy is a cheap and cheerful place to drink and they have a big screen for teh footy.

I often pop over the Hamble with my uncle and his mates in his rib during the summer. There are some good pubs over there and the atmosphere is always good, quite often with local weird bands. (That wear things like vegetable drainers on their heads and stuff :rolleyes:)

I ate in there recently,twas not a pleasurable experience unfortunately.

The Fleming Arms is quite a nice pub nowadays.

They've actually just announced a few 'events' as follows:

November

Tue 4th - Mexican Food Evening (sizzling chicken and beef fajitas)

Wed 5th - Chilli and a Pint Night

Thu 6th - Quiz Night (with hot dogs & burgers)

Fri 7th - Indian Food Evening (Chicken Madras)

Mon 10th - Singapore Food Evening

Wed 12th - Chilli and a Pint Night

Thu 13th - Turkish Food Evening (Moussaka)

Sat 15th - Live Music - KLVR (Kelevra) + burgers & hot dogs

And no, I don't work there, although Chris the manager had some Ryder Cup golf shirts recently and gave me one.

The Monks Brook in Chandlers Ford was my local for most of my early drinking days (16-23) then transferred to the Horns Inn in Nursling for a short while and then back to Chandlers Ford and either the Halfway or the King Rufus (depending on whether I wanted a fight or some grub!!). Only joking, the Halfway wasn't that bad at all.

Sadly now my local has a PO postcode (The Sir Joseph Paxton in Titchfield Common) so rarely venture in there.

My matchday local is the Northam Club (classy joint) and my work local is the Exchange in Winchester (fit barmaids).

• 2 months later...

Way back in the days of my yoof in Beastleigh (or as rather aptly nicknamed Obeseleigh in the Echo last week :D ) my local was THe Eastleigh Hotel.

Even with a whole group of us spotty 17 year old students in The Lounge Bar the average of the punters was still about 90 :cool:.

I think it is now an OAPs home or something ... no change there then, just less beer ;)

The childish joy we used to get on Friday nights asking the visiting ****les/seafood seller if he had crabs was just about the highlight of the evening in there, although putting smutty captions in The Sally Armys War Cry was highly amusing as well. Bloody students eh!

Having to ask for a pint of Pompey Royal was a bit of a drawback, but been regulars we could get away with the old pint of the usual please barman.

In Dubai my local is my Beer Fridge or Wine Chiller can't be arsed going out to Hotels and pay extortionate prices unless it's to watch Saints lose yet again, then we normally mob up and go to GoodFellas in Bur Dubai, which shows every PL game, Sky Fizzy Pop games and numerous European leagues as well as Rugger, Golf,Grand Prix etc etc on about a zillion screens. On a Saturday afternoon they may have as many as 6 games being shown at once, including 2 screens in teh bogs :rolleyes:

If the footy is boring and you are sat in the right place you can get a good view of the Ho's going up the stairs to the club on the floor above ;)

The Monks Brook in Chandlers Ford was my local for most of my early drinking days (16-23) then transferred to the Horns Inn in Nursling for a short while and then back to Chandlers Ford and either the Halfway or the King Rufus (depending on whether I wanted a fight or some grub!!). Only joking, the Halfway wasn't that bad at all.

Sadly now my local has a PO postcode (The Sir Joseph Paxton in Titchfield Common) so rarely venture in there.

My matchday local is the Northam Club (classy joint) and my work local is the Exchange in Winchester (fit barmaids).

lol my misses dad and brother used to go on in there back in the day, its nothing anymore just a bunch of coked up kids:smt044

• 5 months later...

Hmm, the official local is the gardies (gardners) though, i agree with the other sentiments, it's a mother of all sh!tholes. Went there once, when we played them and never been back since.

Live in Weston BTW.

The actual local is The Spike Islander, equally a bit ****, but the landlords look after us, bring out food etc. 'tis were the magic happens.

The fountain, been in there 4 times, been in a fight in there twice.

The shambles, is... a.... shambles.... i heard they lost their licence, didn't they ban under 21's for a bit ?? What is going on in hedge end at the moment???

Grew up in the Hedge End, so my locals were The Fountain, The Barley, The Shamblehurst and......The Bernie Inn !!!! (now Jessops i think)

Used to go in the Fountain / Shamble in my yoof, then moved on to the Barley when I "grew up"

Been living in Shirley for a few years now, my locals are The Crown, Shirley Park Inn, The Salisbury Arms and the Brass Monkey.

cottage is my local along with roll call, everyone knows everyone in these pubs though...