Guys who where there, Tell it like it was:

Colinjb

Match ratings, general impressions, whatever. Please let us know. We are dying for feedback.

Speaking as a cynic and long term Lowe hater I have to say tonight was pretty awesome. The football was slick, clever and controlled and I was very impressed indeed. Not sure how strong a side Birmingham put out but we made them look ordinary. Best football at SMS since the Spurs Cup game I would say. I am partly converted.

****ING AMAZING omg ,the crowd were so loud sounded like there was 20 k

lee holmes was quality as i said since the celtic game and every one said he sucked.

lallana hit bar once and on rebound hit the post he was so good.

Stern john hold up play was good but never really got into the game much.

the back four were strong and flowing and jack cork always doubled up with the LB and RB flowing game.

Lloyd james was amazing again.

wotton was a fookin tank

thomas was strong won every header .

bart was shakey but slowly gained confidence.

god it was awesome

My first game at SMS this season, have to say i was very very impressed. Holmes and Lallana stood out big style for me, Schneiderlin largely disappointing, seemed to be playing a long way forward for a DM but had some nice touches. Gillet was good, doing the makele role but with added vigor and energy, was also impressed by Cork who looked very composed.

Very enjoyable match and nice to be playing Ole football for the last 10mins rather than clinging to me seat!

Just got back. A good, solid professional 2-0 win. I thought that we went off the boil a little in the first 20 mins of the second half when we let Brum string a few passes together but apart from that we were toying with them at times. Their frustration gave rise to a couple of very nasty challenges which with another ref could have resulted in a red card. It would be unfair to single out anyone in particular, they all had a good game, but special mention for Holmes, Cork & Lallana. Wotton impressed me with his quiet efficiency. I wouldn't call it exciting, it was too one-sided for that.

My first game at SMS this season, have to say i was very very impressed. Holmes and Lallana stood out big style for me, Schneiderlin largely disappointing, seemed to be playing a long way forward for a DM but had some nice touches. Gillet was good, doing the makele role but with added vigor and energy, was also impressed by Cork who looked very composed.

Very enjoyable match and nice to be playing Ole football for the last 10mins rather than clinging to me seat!

Thanks. Good to hear. Just one point may be worth picking up on though - Schneiderlin was indeed playing further up the field tactically this evening and apparently was asked to play in the hole instead of Lallana so he could move wide right. Gillett and Wotton were playing the DM roles so I guess he was out of his most natural position tonight.

Posted this on the match reaction thread but thought I'd post it again!

"This is the first game I've seen this season and compared to the dross that was served up last season we are streets ahead.

Gillet was excellent and looks like we've got a great loan signing in Cork. Saints kept it simple and played it back to the keeper if there was no way forward.

Thomas played well, a couple of iffy moments but every team needs at least one 'hoofer' that has no qualms smashing the ball out of play as sometimes thats the best option.

The most encouraging thing though was the attitude of the players to get involved. Also the fact, that it seemed like there could be a couple more gears for the team to move up into.

As long as teams and opposition fans keep thinking we have a bunch of nobodies I will be more than happy with that as we'll definitely surprise a few teams.

Yes there is a long season to go as yet but I'm hopeful of some good times ahead but not looking at anything more than mid-table....................yet! "

I agree to an extent but I think that he was playing further forward because Wotton was playing in Schneiderlins usal position. It did make him less effective.

There were lots of oooohs and aahhhhhs at the brethtaking style of play (passes and back filcks etc). And then amazingly groans of dissapointment when a few balls went astray.

We are on the road to total football. We are being treated and must remmber to be patient and not to expect too much. This is a new young side and they will encounter rough patches.

For me it was a fairly one sided game. Brum barely tested bart in 90 mins. Jack Cork for me is a real star of the future. Very good defensively, good in the air, good touch, good passing skills, and good going forward when he had the chance. where do we play him full back or centreback, either way he has to play IMO. Oh how I am going to enjoy the football this year. Overall i think we can play much better but on the other hand brum didnt look anywhere near as good us. Good job done, roll on saturday

No excuses anymore guys, get to the ground support your team, they are worth every penny. forget the lowe priniciples and just watch a team that can actually play, its so refreshing.

Whatever you think of tonights game...it wasn;t even close to the performance we put up at Derby...I thought we were average tonight...but then I was spoilt but the pure gold that we are now capable of producing a few days earlier.

Hopefully we can do a 'Derby' performance on Saturday because honestly...tonight looked very average in comparison.

Cork, Lallana & Holmes were outstanding IMHO.

Bart 6

James 7

Thomas 6

Cork 8 (actually nearer 9 cos he didn't put a foot wrong)

Surman 6

Lallana 9

Gillett 6

Wotton 7

Holmes 8

Schnederlin 6

McGoldrick 7

John 6

Mills 6

Would have been a different game if Cameron Jerome played again tho.

Skysports says we only had 3 shots on target and 2 went in! Well done lads

Brilliant performance! First half was unreal. Gillet was unbelievable in midfield, Wotton very strong, Holmes a true winger and McGoldrick looked strong, confident and mature.

Bart - 7. Not a lot to do. One good save. 2 dodgy moments when he ran out of box. Not a starter for me.

Lloyd James - 7. He'll prob get mixed reviews from people. Thought he was good but crossing poor fopr me.

Cork - 8. Didn't notice much of him...which i'm guessin is a good thing. Completely comfortable. Doesnt look big for a CB tho.

Thomas - 8. Good solid game. Handles passing out of defence well.

Surman - 8. Perhaps not quite as attacking as usual but did well and also slotted nicely into central holding role when schniederlin came off.

Lallana - 9. Played wide right for most of game although scored once in middle. Prefer him in middle but he's just pure class. Great goal, carved defence apart.

Gillet - 10. Love this guy. Unrelentless harassing of players and effortless passing. Came off after bout 60mins, quite possibly our poor patch due to him havin a knock. MOTM

Schneiderlin - 7. Wasn't playing in normal holding role where I prefer him. Good but is better.

Holmes - 9. I really trust him to get a cross in every time or beat defender. Great goal. The natural winger we need.

McGoldrick - 9. Cemented in my mind his right to be a starter. Seemed older than his years and led the line strongly, drifts nicely onto the right to create space too.

Subs.

Mills - 6. Not ready IMO. Panicked a bit and a couple of poor crosses. To be fair he inexperienced and did fairly well.

John - 8. Gotta keep him. He is just unmoveable when he wants to hold the ball up! Great lay off passes too.

Cant remember if we used any more subs! Hope this helped.

Woukld have liked Dyer to come on for last 7 mins at least after 2nd goal just to get a look in. With right frame of mind will be very usefull.

Bradley has no place.

COYR!

Thomas made mislaid passes throughout and won few of his aerial battles against smaller men.

He also kept dropping deep when the rest of the defence pushed up and played people onside.

He was useless tonight! Im shocked some people thought he played well.

Everyone else was great :D

And we STILL didn't conceed!

Schneiderlin was playing in the whole when his best position is as the deep sitting playmaker or defensive midfieder - not his best game and no surprise he was substituted - still good on the ball though and can tackle

Jack Cork was great and can play the ball out from the back

Thomas can't - and once the other players had told him to stop trying to pass the long ball - leave it to the other players - and just keep it short and sweet his whole game got better. His first three passes - all long - gave the ball away! After that he won everything in the air and almost every tackle - his best game for a long time

Lallana and Gillett were superb

Lloyd James played much better at right back - still a midfielder though really

same with Surman - who had a bad game but improved massively once he moved into the middle - he was too eager to get forward and create when palying at left back

McGoldrick - a great second striker with a great football brain

Wotton had a great game - led the team - tackled well - and he can pass as well!

Joesph Mills had a great cameo as an attacking left back - definately one for the future

the only thing we were missing was a centre forward to make the darting runs and get on the end of all the chances the other create - step forward Pekhart

Outplayed and then outfought Brum City - can't ask for more than that - and it wasn't even our first team in personnel or position!

we are playing very very well at the moment. the boys are a breath of fresh air. they never give up and are technically very very good. well done boys, keep it up!!! cant believe its taken this long for gillett to break through, he has been fantastic so far this season!! :)

Whatever you think of tonights game...it wasn;t even close to the performance we put up at Derby...I thought we were average tonight...but then I was spoilt but the pure gold that we are now capable of producing a few days earlier.

Hopefully we can do a 'Derby' performance on Saturday because honestly...tonight looked very average in comparison.

Have to say I disagree. The first hald an hour against Derby I thought was worse than the first half tonight. I don't think Brum got a shot on target in the first half.

Agree with most of above. Lallana, Holmes and Cork shone. Simon Gillett for me is an early candidate for player of the season, his workrate, tackling and passing are exceptional. Probably a bit quiet tonight by his standards, though not surprising after his high on Saturday.

Agree about the bobbly pitch though - had visions of a 'Robinson' moment for a couple of back-passes...