Petition to Southampton FC

Dr Who?

How many people preaching about wanting a woman's team would get off their arse and go and watch them? Here's a Clue, hardly anyone.

It's important to know that it's there, even if you wouldn't want to spend much time actually looking at it. Like vagina :thumbup:

Thanks to all of you on here, that have signed. I am not going to read any of the replies on here as I know what some of them will say.

I was only putting on here, so those who wanted to sign could. If you do not think it is good use of the clubs money, then do not sign it.

Thank you.

Why should a Southampton based ladies football team have to be connected to the club. Let them stand alone.

No-ones saying it "has" to be. But it would be nice if something that USED to be a part of the club could be brought back in now that we're not financially ruined.

I don't understand why some people are so set against this. The cost to the club will be minuscule compared to the money Premier League (and maybe european) football brings in.

I wasn't sure whether to bother with this, but the sexist and selfish comments of some of the dinosaurs on here have convinced me that I should. As I live in the north of England nowadays I am unlikely to ever go to see Southampton Ladies play. Nevertheless, I would be delighted to hear that they are being successful in the same way that I am pleased when I hear about the under-21 and under-18 teams doing well.

Yet, I believe that the reasons to support it are far more than just that potential for mild contentment at seeing other Saints success. There may well be direct commercial benefits in the longer term if the club is successful as someone has pointed out already; but perhaps even more significantly a successful ladies' and girls' team could also have an important and significant spin-off in terms of the support for the club.

As a husband I would love my wife to take more interest in football and as a Dad I am pleased to see my daughters both supporting Saints. Yet while football remains a male preserve it is really difficult to encourage a real interest in football from them other than when I take them to the occasional match. With a successful ladies' and girls' side it increases the likelihood that women from Southampton (and beyond in my case!) will engage with football and will encourage both their sons and daughters to take an interest too.

So, yes, please Katerina, support ladies football in Southampton and let's see the spin-offs as our status as a family-friendly club is further enhanced with many more female supporters.

PS For those of you who are only motivated by sexist thinking, just imagine the terraces full of beautiful young Southampton ladies cheering on the men's team because they themselves were encouraged to be involved in football! ;)

How many people preaching about wanting a woman's team would get off their arse and go and watch them? Here's a Clue, hardly anyone.

My daughter plays for Saints U13. Her team were so successful last year that they are playing up a year in the U14s league this season. Their first season with off-side rule (and sorry to **** on your obvious joke opportunity Turkish but yes they do all understand it ;)) and bigger pitches and goals against teams who have already had a whole season to get used to the changes. They are currently top of the league again. Our U12s are just as good and are also playing up a year and sit top in their league too. Both teams have won national competitions and my daughter has scored the winning goal in a cup final wearing the Saints badge - one of my proudest moments as a parent. They'll be going to an international competition in Holland in the Spring and it will be interesting to see how well they do against girls from other nations.

Despite all this, I understand why many posters on this thread (not the kn0b who suggested they play in bikinis - paedo alert?) have no time for the woman's game. It is second rate when compared to boys of the same age and I'm happy to admit that my enjoyment is that of a proud parent rather than a football fan. I won't be signing the petition because I don't think it's the right way to approach the club but I do feel the club should embrace the ladies game alongside it's other numerous community projects - I think many posters on here would be surprised by how popular girls football is becoming. Letting the girls take advantage of the academy facilities and expertise occasionally would surely cost the club very little?

Anyhow, my daughter's U13 team will be playing Portsmouth FC U14s (who do have the backing of their so-called parent club) in the Hampshire FA Cup Final in a couple of weeks time - at AFC Totton I think. Should they attend the game, I defy Turkish or any of the doubters not to let out a cheer when the girls score against the skates!!!

I wasn't sure whether to bother with this, but the sexist and selfish comments of some of the dinosaurs on here have convinced me that I should. As I live in the north of England nowadays I am unlikely to ever go to see Southampton Ladies play. Nevertheless, I would be delighted to hear that they are being successful in the same way that I am pleased when I hear about the under-21 and under-18 teams doing well.

Yet, I believe that the reasons to support it are far more than just that potential for mild contentment at seeing other Saints success. There may well be direct commercial benefits in the longer term if the club is successful as someone has pointed out already; but perhaps even more significantly a successful ladies' and girls' team could also have an important and significant spin-off in terms of the support for the club.

As a husband I would love my wife to take more interest in football and as a Dad I am pleased to see my daughters both supporting Saints. Yet while football remains a male preserve it is really difficult to encourage a real interest in football from them other than when I take them to the occasional match. With a successful ladies' and girls' side it increases the likelihood that women from Southampton (and beyond in my case!) will engage with football and will encourage both their sons and daughters to take an interest too.

So, yes, please Katerina, support ladies football in Southampton and let's see the spin-offs as our status as a family-friendly club is further enhanced with many more female supporters.

PS For those of you who are only motivated by sexist thinking, just imagine the terraces full of beautiful young Southampton ladies cheering on the men's team because they themselves were encouraged to be involved in football! ;)

Since the internet offers so many opportunities to get into pointless debates where I am tempted to insult people who disagree with me on issues where logic and facts are unlikely to persuade them to my point of view, I decided to stay out of this debate. Therefore, I will limit myself to strongly agreeing with you.

The subsequent sentences from this reply have been rewritten a few times and then finally deleted in what I believe to be an exercise in good judgment.

think that when Saints dropped their Women's team back in the Lowe days, Hampshire FA stepped in to run a centre of excellence for Under 17's and below. This is still being run today by them and they compete with all of the academy's in the south (e.g Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Middlesex etc) and there are I think 18 of these nationally. I would imagine that this would be what Saints would take over again as it's designed to be a pathway to develop players for the England national squad. As for the 'grown up' team there are several in Southampton, so I guess they would start one from scratch

http://www.hampshirefa.com/players/womensfootball/girlscoe

think that when Saints dropped their Women's team back in the Lowe days, Hampshire FA stepped in to run a centre of excellence for Under 17's and below. This is still being run today by them and they compete with all of the academy's in the south (e.g Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Middlesex etc) and there are I think 18 of these nationally. I would imagine that this would be what Saints would take over again as it's designed to be a pathway to develop players for the England national squad. As for the 'grown up' team there are several in Southampton, so I guess they would start one from scratch

http://www.hampshirefa.com/players/womensfootball/girlscoe

The problem with this set up is that the girls in the County development squad have to attend trials to be chosen. Nobody is out and about actively watching games and looking for talent to develop. My understanding is (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here) is that the girls in the County squad are not allowed to play for other teams and play relatively few games when compared to the Saints girls who play week in week out.

And yes there are a number of girls and ladies clubs in Southampton but only one that are allowed to wear the Saints strip and badge and have won honours in the name of Southampton FC in the past ... Why on earth would you choose any of the others?

WTF??

1. The "sound" would be horrendous, like some high-pitched shrieking when we score, it'd sound awful

2. Why are you checking out people on the terraces instead of watching the match?

3. TERRACES? You utter dinosaur, we all go to sit down in comfort and watch the football don't you know.

The problem with this set up is that the girls in the County development squad have to attend trials to be chosen. Nobody is out and about actively watching games and looking for talent to develop. My understanding is (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here) is that the girls in the County squad are not allowed to play for other teams and play relatively few games when compared to the Saints girls who play week in week out.

And yes there are a number of girls and ladies clubs in Southampton but only one that are allowed to wear the Saints strip and badge and have won honours in the name of Southampton FC in the past ... Why on earth would you choose any of the others?

Probably frightened of being locked up in 21st Century Britain.

Since we ditched the women's team we have been on an upward trajectory, is it a coincidence, I don't think so.

Sorry mate, don't get you. Please elaborate on how you think these events are connected ...

I hope everyone who signs the petition will also go to all the games and support the ladies team?

In fact, this should be a kickstarter campaign instead. Put your money where your mouth is - buy tickets for games and co-fund the team with the club.

Why should a. Commercial business take on a cost that would lose money? It is not the clubs responsibility to have a woman's team.

the club does much for the community as it is

Most well run commercial brands aspire to higher goals than just commercial. They do so because the recognise the wider benefits.

WTF??

1. The "sound" would be horrendous, like some high-pitched shrieking when we score, it'd sound awful

Haven't quite worked out yet if you're a troll, a teenager or just a bit thick. But regardless, if you look at any crowd shot at the moment there are I reckon about 30% women. The "sound" you're so fond of retaining, includes women cheering.

You seem to not like women, Patrick? Can I suggest you never go near one?

I don't think we should have Ladies team unless we're willing to be Equality and pay them the same as the Men :thumbup: We don't want to get in the situation of Birmingham Council where in few years time we have to pay £757m in back-dated wage reparations.

Haven't quite worked out yet if you're a troll, a teenager or just a bit thick. But regardless, if you look at any crowd shot at the moment there are I reckon about 30% women. The "sound" you're so fond of retaining, includes women cheering.

You seem to not like women, Patrick? Can I suggest you never go near one?

The deeper male voices drown out the small amount of women in the crowd. See the Olympic women's tournament for an example of the horrid shrieky sound. That female commentator on MOTD is prone to it too albeit on a smaller scale (though just as jarring.)

Remember also that most women who go to the football aren't aware of the rules and so I doubt they would be cheering at the correct times anyway.

Most well run commercial brands aspire to higher goals than just commercial. They do so because the recognise the wider benefits.

Hence the Saints Foundation.

Womens football is not a draw in anyway for most people in the street. I don't think many women would watch it as it is poor and slow

I've got no problem with a ladies team but like others, feel that a petition is the wrong way to go about it. We're a progressive club with a female owner. A petition implies that the club have been doing something wrong, or is against the idea now. I'd imagine it's be a case of priorities than anything else, and the priorities have long been about youth development.

Remember also that most women who go to the football aren't aware of the rules and so I doubt they would be cheering at the correct times anyway.

It is entirely possible that they would be aware that there are no such things as "rules" in football. They would more than likely, however, have an understanding of the Laws of the game which would put them ahead of the vast majority of football fans.....

Semantics love.

Apologies-it is something that, as a match official, always annoys me-it is amazing how many spectators, players and team officials do not realise there is a difference between the laws of the game and competition rules!

Anyway I will stop now as this really has nothing to do with the topic in the thread...... :)

Who aspires to be a 'lady' these days anyway?!

This is the third thread in the last six months about 'ladies' football. Dinosaurs and enlightened boarders keep repeating themselves. Think dinosaurs may have the repetition upper hand. Use the search tool and you will see all the same comments.