20 Years Ago Today.

Lets B Avenue

Didn't we bugger them about for the next 2 seasons at the Dell too, leading Fergie to open one post match interview with "when did they say they were going to knock this place down: as it can't come soon enough".

From memory, think it was 3-1, then 6-3, then 1-0 at the Dell, then we moved to St Marys and think we beat them 2-1 there too when Beattie was on a hot streak (seem to remember he got injured in that game too)

I was there, and I'm in the video (grabbing Egil as he runs past for the 3rd goal). As I've posted on here before, sold my shirt to Claus in the queue to New York New York so his mate could get in, then bought somebody elses and ended up partying the night away with the players + other hangers on. Was an epic epic day. Made the 3-1 grey shirts one as well, watched the 1-0 in London as I'd moved there and was the only Saints fan in the pub. Was awesome

From memory, think it was 3-1, then 6-3, then 1-0 at the Dell, then we moved to St Marys and think we beat them 2-1 there too when Beattie was on a hot streak (seem to remember he got injured in that game too)

The year before in the 94/95 season we drew 2-2 with them on New Years Eve at the Dell, so they didn't beat us there for 4 years. Following that run of success, they beat us at the Dell 1-3 the following year in April 2000. The 2-1 victory was the match on 13th May 2000 immediately before the win against Arsenal, the last PL match at the Dell. We didn't have much luck against them at St Marys until August 2003, when we won 1-0

Yeah, 3-1 was the grey shirts game, then 6-3, then 1-0 which I think was Kevin Davies. We definitely beat them at St Mary's, though I thought the Beattie goal was in a 1-0 win (87th minute or something like that).

We also beat them in the penultimate game at the Dell (they played a number of youngsters), one of the two results that helped Stuart Gray secure the job full time, despite us being woeful for every game beforehand!

The year before in the 94/95 season we drew 2-2 with them on New Years Eve at the Dell, so they didn't beat us there for 4 years. Following that run of success, they beat us at the Dell 1-3 the following year in April 2000. The 2-1 victory was the match on 13th May 2000 immediately before the win against Arsenal, the last PL match at the Dell. We didn't have much luck against them at St Marys until August 2003, when we won 1-0

You missed out 98/99. They won 3-0 in October, when we were still waiting for our first win of the season.

You missed out 98/99. They won 3-0 in October, when we were still waiting for our first win of the season.

Yes, you're right. We didn't win a match that season until 24th October, when we beat Coventry 2-1. Some heavy defeats up until then included 5-0 Charlton, 3-0 Leeds and 4-0 Newcastle, as well as the 3-0 against Man Utd.

Wasn't that the "Great Escape" year when we put in a run of 3 wins in the final three matches to just stay up by the skin of our teeth having been bottom on 14 points at Christmas?

Edited by Wes Tender

Yes, you're right. We didn't win a match that season until 24th October, when we beat Coventry 2-1. Some heavy defeats up until then included 5-0 Charlton, 3-0 Leeds and 4-0 Newcastle, as well as the 3-0 against Man Utd.

Wasn't that the "Great Escape" year when we put in a run of 3 wins in the final three matches to just stay up by the skin of our teeth having been bottom on 14 points at Christmas?

I think so - it's the season of Dellhurst Park and Pahars dragging us out of the crap. 2-0 against somebody to stay up wasn't it? I was in Penang in Malaysia and listened to the last 10 minutes over a mobile phone when my mum rang me from the Dell. Cracked open a beer at 4am or whatever it was to celebrate :). Malaysian TV made a big deal about us taking 12k to Wimbledon on the highlight show the day before and I felt it felt inevitable that we would win on the final day. Sheffield Wednesday had to win or draw for us to stay up as well didn't they? I'd found a red and white striped saints shirt in the market that day with a Wednesday badge (as we were both sponsored by Sanderson) so I bought it (for 50p) as a good luck charm

I think so - it's the season of Dellhurst Park and Pahars dragging us out of the crap. 2-0 against somebody to stay up wasn't it? I was in Penang in Malaysia and listened to the last 10 minutes over a mobile phone when my mum rang me from the Dell. Cracked open a beer at 4am or whatever it was to celebrate :). Malaysian TV made a big deal about us taking 12k to Wimbledon on the highlight show the day before and I felt it felt inevitable that we would win on the final day. Sheffield Wednesday had to win or draw for us to stay up as well didn't they? I'd found a red and white striped saints shirt in the market that day with a Wednesday badge (as we were both sponsored by Sanderson) so I bought it (for 50p) as a good luck charm

Dellhurst was a brilliant day out; forty or so coaches left in a convoy and turned South Norwood into a suburb of Southampton for a day. We took over virtually an entire side stand and outsang Wimbledon fans the whole match. Wasn't it themed for Kachloul, with kazoos and fezzes? Although Sheffield Wednesday also had Sanderson as their sponsor, surely their shirts were blue and white stripes? Or do you mean that you sowed a Saints badge onto a SW shirt?

Dellhurst was a brilliant day out; forty or so coaches left in a convoy and turned South Norwood into a suburb of Southampton for a day. We took over virtually an entire side stand and outsang Wimbledon fans the whole match. Wasn't it themed for Kachloul, with kazoos and fezzes? Although Sheffield Wednesday also had Sanderson as their sponsor, surely their shirts were blue and white stripes? Or do you mean that you sowed a Saints badge onto a SW shirt?

I mean the dodgy backstreet knock off shop in Penang that made it took a red and white striped shirt, saw the sponsor, and sowed a Sheffield Wednesday badge on it :-). They did indeed play in blue and white. Those were the days, both Sheffield Clubs in the Prem etc. :)

I remember turning over to Grandstand and Final Score to see the result, I was only 12 at the time and I remember jumping around the living room at home as the reports came in. The Monday morning at school was probably the best moment I had as a Saints fan up until the Cup Final in 2003. Growing up in Gloucester, I was the only Southampton supporter in my year and one of only three in the entire school. (Shane Bradley, who played a couple of games in the late nineties for Saints but was released and ended up at Mansfield I think).

The 98/99 season Great Escape et al, we weren't bottom at Christmas. I am sure it was Forest, Charlton and Blackburn that ended up going down.

I think that we came out of the bottom three for the first time that season after the Wimbledon game. I think it was Charlton who had to win on the last game of the season but Sheff Weds beat them 1-0.

I remember that game - they were in black with green trim I believe, Cole & Yorke absolutely took us apart. We couldn't live with their movement. Having said that we were also pretty bad at that time. Everyone at my school had to enter a poetry competition and I won with a poem about our dreadful start to the season, including a reference to the 5-0 at Charlton and 3-0 Leeds.

Have a feeling our first point of the season was a 1-1 at home to Spurs, with Ruel Fox getting their goal... if that is right, it's weird the sort of things that one remembers!

I think that we came out of the bottom three for the first time that season after the Wimbledon game. I think it was Charlton who had to win on the last game of the season but Sheff Weds beat them 1-0.

Think it would have been all over on the penultimate weekend, sparing us those last day nerves, and then Danny Mills scored a last minute goal for Charlton and gave them a 4-3 win (don't recall who they were playing). Thankfully the last game turned out to be one of the most memorable days ever!

Think it would have been all over on the penultimate weekend, sparing us those last day nerves, and then Danny Mills scored a last minute goal for Charlton and gave them a 4-3 win (don't recall who they were playing). Thankfully the last game turned out to be one of the most memorable days ever!

I don't think anyone's actually mentioned the 2-0 win last game of that season (98/99) was against Everton yet.

I had to be in Hartlepool for work on the Sunday evening (driving from South Wales), so I had to go to my aunt's to watch it, and then because she had cable and not the full red button satellite package which may have had the Saints game on I was stuck watching Man U v Spurs and hoping for goal clips from The Dell.

I don't think anyone's actually mentioned the 2-0 win last game of that season (98/99) was against Everton yet.

I had to be in Hartlepool for work on the Sunday evening (driving from South Wales), so I had to go to my aunt's to watch it, and then because she had cable and not the full red button satellite package which may have had the Saints game on I was stuck watching Man U v Spurs and hoping for goal clips from The Dell.

The one I make a staring appearance in at the end :)

I remember that game - they were in black with green trim I believe, Cole & Yorke absolutely took us apart. We couldn't live with their movement. Having said that we were also pretty bad at that time. Everyone at my school had to enter a poetry competition and I won with a poem about our dreadful start to the season, including a reference to the 5-0 at Charlton and 3-0 Leeds.

Have a feeling our first point of the season was a 1-1 at home to Spurs, with Ruel Fox getting their goal... if that is right, it's weird the sort of things that one remembers!

My memory of that United game was that I was sat in the garden at my parents in Bitterne Park and heard a huge cheer in the wind, assumed we had just gone 1-0 up given how loud and how far it travelled from The Dell only to put teletext on and see that it was United who had just gone 1-0 up.

At the same match the following season which we lost 3-1, Pahars scored one of the finest goals I saw from him, running from just inside our half, skinning a couple of defenders and shooting across Van Der Gouw's goal to score. It never seems to show up in any highlight reels though, or the full version at least.

Forest, who were relegated that day. Even if it had stayed a draw.

I remember turning over to Grandstand and Final Score to see the result, I was only 12 at the time and I remember jumping around the living room at home as the reports came in. The Monday morning at school was probably the best moment I had as a Saints fan up until the Cup Final in 2003. Growing up in Gloucester, I was the only Southampton supporter in my year and one of only three in the entire school. (Shane Bradley, who played a couple of games in the late nineties for Saints but was released and ended up at Mansfield I think).

The 98/99 season Great Escape et al, we weren't bottom at Christmas. I am sure it was Forest, Charlton and Blackburn that ended up going down.

Not bad for gloucester tbh!