Mick Dennis - The Express

Channon's Sideburns

We get a paragraph in there today, basically blaming the fans....

'Southampton fans blame board blunders for their Championship plight. They should have a go at their fair-weather mates. In their last season in the Premier League, Southampton's average attendance was 30,000.

Last season it was down to 21,000, this season 17,000. If they ever get back to the top division and rival fans chant 'Where were you when you were rubbish?' the answer will be. at home, moaning'.

----

Charming - BTW Mick, we've always been rubbish.

----

So, in return, I have emailed him this afternoon so he sees just WHY WE ARE SO ****ED OFF.

----

Hi Mick,

I always take time to read your column in the Express as I enjoy reading your observations, and normally tend to agree with your opinions.

However, having seen your article on the state of Southampton FC, my club, I feel compelled to write regarding the use of 'stay away fans' as an excuse for the poor state of our club.

You really could have a whole page article on the debarcle that is currently SFC, and the twists and turns that have led so many lifelong fans to decide that they can no longer put up with it.

No one single person is to blame, there are many but the return of Rupert Lowe and Michael Wilde has been the straw that broke the camel's back for many fans.

Back in 2006, Michael Wilde purchased almost 26% of Southampton Leisure Holdings shares in an attempt to oust Rupert Lowe (6% ownership) from the Southampton Boardroom following relegation from the Premier League for the first time in 27 years. He produced a manifesto which promised investment which 'would never arise unless Lowe was removed'. He persuaded other notable shareholders (Mary Corbett, Patrick Trant) to proxy their votes to him in order to bring about change.

The kingmaker of Wilde was Leon Crouch, a successful multi-millionaire and lifelong Saints fan, who had also purchased 9.95% of SLH Plc shares. It was only when Wilde convinced Crouch of his plan for the club that he gave his support to Wilde.

Lowe, seeing the writing on the wall, walked before the planned EGM.

Wilde's promised investment never materialised. His appointed executives first of all removed him, then Leon Crouch. Then, Crouch oversaw the removal of the Executives - Jim Hone (ex Fulham and Celtic), Ken Dulieu, and Andy Oldknow (ex-FA and Everton). Only Lee Hoos remained from the old Executive board and to the end of the season, Crouch and Hoos steadied the ship, appointing the much-missed Nigel Pearson who is now leading Leicester to promotion (funnily enough using many youngsters).

After surviving on the last day of the season, there was unity on the pitch at St Marys, with fans looking forward to a brighter future under Pearson. The spirit was back.

Then, a decision was made which separated the fanbase - leading to the ridiculous scenes at St Marys this weekend, when Wilde sided with Lowe (remember he bought 26% of SLH shares to remove him) to oust Crouch and Pearson, also claiming that Pearson was 'too expensive', and to 'protect their investment'.

This decision to join forces has been seen as a 'stab in the back' to fans and shareholders that backed Wilde to remove Lowe. Lowe claimed on his return that they would 'right the wrongs of the previous board' - instead they have managed to make things worse. Lower attendances, and 2nd Bottom of the CCC with ONE HOME WIN IN 14 MATCHES. The share price has also dropped dramatically,so they have not 'protected their investment'.

Lowe installed Jan Poortvliet and Mark Wotte, claiming that they were cheaper than Pearson combined - but then increased the coaching staff further by adding Dean Gorre.

Saints fans were told that it was no longer financially viable to keep Rasiak, Saganowski (now returned) and Stern John - all were sent out on loan to supposedly save money.

Surprisingly we then brought in Morgan Schneiderlin (€1.2M), Lee Holmes, Ryan Smith, Tomas Pekhart, Jack Cork, Jordan Robertson, Lee Molyneux, Paul Wotton, Anthony Pulis, Romain Gasmi - quantity over quality, which is the same mistake made when we were relegated in the first place under Lowe.

Saints fans are now watching the equivalent of last years Reserve and Youth Team - £24 per game, when you could see the same players last season for free.

To rub salt in the wounds of all Saints fans, since his return Rupert Lowe has replaced the picture in the SFC Boardroom of Lawrie McMenemy with the FA Cup from 1976, with a picture of a Steam Train given by the board at Doncaster.

This weekend, we have also seen club legend David Armstrong kicked out of the hospitality area for 'talking with friends'. The Saints fans have had enough, on the pages of the Saints Forum website the depth of feeling is immense, even fans who supported Lowe's financial plan are turning against him.

Administration beckons - but it is too easy to blame the fans. Demonstrations against the Board are being arranged as we speak.

SFC is a prime example of how not to run a Football Club after relegation. It really is a Soap Opera, unfortunately it is more depressing than EastEnders.

Kind regards

CS

Thing is he has a point - it does not really matter the raesons why fans have stayed away - what cannot be denied is the impact this has on revenue - now how that revenue would have been utilised and teh impact it would have made on the results is another matter - but the fact reamins, that at a time when we lost some 30mil in TV revenue, it was made worse by loosing an additional 5-6 mil in gate receipts.

Thing is he has a point - it does not really matter the raesons why fans have stayed away - what cannot be denied is the impact this has on revenue - now how that revenue would have been utilised and teh impact it would have made on the results is another matter - but the fact reamins' date=' that at a time when we lost some 30mil in TV revenue, it was made worse by loosing an additional 5-6 mil in gate receipts.[/quote']

IMO it is fully justified, especially in the current financial climate. 24 quid to watch the reserves and youth with very little special offers AND when the possibility of a home win is remote is terrible value.

Thing is he has a point - it does not really matter the raesons why fans have stayed away - what cannot be denied is the impact this has on revenue - now how that revenue would have been utilised and teh impact it would have made on the results is another matter - but the fact reamins' date=' that at a time when we lost some 30mil in TV revenue, it was made worse by loosing an additional 5-6 mil in gate receipts.[/quote']

Made even worse by appointing a ridiculous Dutch experiment and getting rid of a manager that had 'united' most of the fan base.

Of course its the fans fault..it always is when you try and deflect the blame away from the main culprits.

Yes Frank, but to be truthful, do you think we have lost 4,000 fans just through normal losses????

It's down to the quality of the product you serve to your customers - and like it or not, people ARE staying away because of Lowe and Co.

How else are they supposed to voice their dis-satisfaction???

Excellent letter which highlights many of our problems with Mr Lowe.

Interested to see if Mr Dennis of the Express replies...I am sure he did not know the whole story...Mind you a mate of Harry Redknapp?

Many other clubs have lost many fans support...but we still get the blame from The Lowe group of Mates.

Well done Channons Sideburns.

Excellent letter which highlights many of our problems with Mr Lowe.

Interested to see if Mr Dennis of the Express replies...I am sure he did not know the whole story...Mind you a mate of Harry Redknapp?

Many other clubs have lost many fans support...but we still get the blame from The Lowe group of Mates.

Well done Channons Sideburns.

Also well done Mick Dennis he does have a point

The small minded hatred of Lowe is one of the reasons we are in the mess we are now.

Edited by John B

WHATEVER HE THINKS OF THE FANS' date=' I'M NOT LETTING HIM GET AWAY WITH BLAMING US FOR THE MESS WE ARE IN.[/quote']

Are we beyond reproach ? please do not get unecessary by my post, we can't simply ignore that fans staying away has and continues to have an impact financially and by default in the attractiveness of our club to a buyer/investor(if any exsist out there).

Few stayed away on January 4th, blame can be apportioned imo

I have just been sitting in the Barbers shop reading the article and thought very much the same as you CS. I was also tempted to post his comments on here - you have saved me the job. Good response though - wonder if he will follow up or publish with any of the points you have made.

Are we beyond reproach ? please do not get unecessary by my post, we can't simply ignore that fans staying away has and continues to have an impact financially and by default in the attractiveness of our club to a buyer/investor(if any exsist out there).

Few stayed away on January 4th, blame can be apportioned imo

But for Mick Dennis to imply that we shoulder more of the blame than the inadequate poor business minds that have frequented our boardroom, who supped Champagne and ate the Prawn Sarnies whilst right royally ****ing up our club is outrageous.

He, for one, does not actually mention WHY people are staying away.

Without wanting to be 'controversial' - its seems we want it both ways.... we hate the way that the club doesn't treat us 'fans' but rather as £££ or 'customers', then say that attendenace is down to giving the 'customers' value for money?

Sorry but surely if we want the club to appreciate that Football is NOT like other businesses, we need to sure that as FANs of teh club, we support the side that is put out there - not just because it conatins a few stars - but whether its Keegan or Olly Lancahsire, when they put on the shirt they deserve our support... surely?

I can understand the expense in the current climate, etc, but when Man U came to town at £30 we had no shortage of takers....

I'm slightly confused. Why has he aimed this at just Saints fans? Can the same not be said for many other clubs? Coventry, in a far better league position than us have averaged 17,200. Birmingham, 3rd in the table have only averaged 19,000.

The fact is no matter which club it is 1 home win in 14 and a chairman who is destroying the club will cause attendances to plummet.

Without wanting to be 'controversial' - its seems we want it both ways.... we hate the way that the club doesn't treat us 'fans' but rather as £££ or 'customers', then say that attendenace is down to giving the 'customers' value for money?

Sorry but surely if we want the club to appreciate that Football is NOT like other businesses, we need to sure that as FANs of teh club, we support the side that is put out there - not just because it conatins a few stars - but whether its Keegan or Olly Lancahsire, when they put on the shirt they deserve our support... surely?

I can understand the expense in the current climate, etc, but when Man U came to town at £30 we had no shortage of takers....

Yes Frank, but that increase in attendance was mainly Plastic Mancs who have never even been to Manchester.

Even if it wasn't for that reason, it should indicate just what has been lost since relegation - which is the single biggest contributor to our downfall. No-one can rewrite that and spin it any other way.

And for a Commercial Concern to ignore it's customer base by alienating it's main source of income is commercial and business suicide.

See how the blame only needs to be upwards????

Show me examples of Lowe, Wilde et al ACTUALLY PAYING FOR ANYTHING WHILST ON THE PREMISES AND WE'LL SEE WHO IS TO BLAME.

I'm slightly confused. Why has he aimed this at just Saints fans? Can the same not be said for many other clubs? Coventry, in a far better league position than us have averaged 17,200. Birmingham, 3rd in the table have only averaged 19,000.

The fact is no matter which club it is 1 home win in 14 and a chairman who is destroying the club will cause attendances to plummet.

Yes you are of course right but Saints fans are continually whingeing and it was probably a joke from Dennis.

Channon suite 50 in a room that takes 500...David Armstrong actually swelled the numbers when talking to his freinds in there vs Donnie. On the same day vs Doncasterthese are the approx nos.

Other suites about 30 in a no of 125...other suites x2 about 40 in a 100 capacity.

Vs Man utd. capacity 500 was swelled to 650 approx.

These much smaller attendances in the suites tells all.

Its getting very quiet in them there suites.....More celebrities than punters.

you actually had the time and the motivation to write that

i wish I was a student again

Haven't been a student for 17 years Joe...

Time it took to compose - 5 minutes;

Motivation - 29 years of support for my team having seen it almost run into the ground over a period of 12 years.

Also, some of the journos absolutely LOVED IT (in a Keegan Styleee) when we got relegated - because we were always viewed as a small club that didn't deserve to share a pitch with the likes of Man U and the Arse.

They got what they wished...has the Prem improved since??? Debatable. There aren't many teams there now who could turn over the big boys like we used to.

Haven't been a student for 17 years Joe...

Time it took to compose - 5 minutes;

Motivation - 29 years of support for my team having seen it almost run into the ground over a period of 12 years.

Also, some of the journos absolutely LOVED IT (in a Keegan Styleee) when we got relegated - because we were always viewed as a small club that didn't deserve to share a pitch with the likes of Man U and the Arse.

They got what they wished...has the Prem improved since??? Debatable. There aren't many teams there now who could turn over the big boys like we used to.

It could be argued that it took you 12 years to compose it!!

It could be argued that it took you 12 years to compose it!!

I just don't like cheap shots at this club - he could have actually composed a piece which showed all sides of the situation.

Instead it was the easy route blaming us - does he know Charlie Sale I wonder?

Or was it one of Lowe's cronies trying to get their PR in before us??

I just don't like cheap shots at this club - he could have actually composed a piece which showed all sides of the situation.

Instead it was the easy route blaming us - does he know Charlie Sale I wonder?

Or was it one of Lowe's cronies trying to get their PR in before us??

I agree, it was a cheap shot but then again we are not a fashionable club and when we were answering our critics I loved them being proven wrong time and time again. Sadly these days we just have to take it as it is, pretty much true that we are cr@p.

I spent Saturday laughing about all the empty seats, and when the moaners return I will abuse them because they deserve it.

No you won't because many of them will not be coming back. Going to footy is a habit. When you are a kid, probably being brought along by Dad or an older brother, the experience is overwhelming and you just want to come again and again! When it becomes a chore, or too expensive, or you hate what is happening at the club, you let your season ticket lapse. With no season ticket, you still have the intention of going to most games but because you no longer have an automatic ticket, you pick and choose your games. The more the chore, or how p!ssed off you are, the less games you go to. Then the habit is broken and all of a sudden, there's something better to do on a Saturday than go to the game and you stop going all together. Once that happens you are lost as a supporter and may never come back!

Bolllocks.

Lowe treated us like customers. The customers have walked after being screwed a fortune for shiite.

SFC is the footballing equivalent of dodgy Xmas parks in the New Forest at the moment...

Bolllocks.

Lowe treated us like customers. The customers have walked after being screwed a fortune for shiite.

SFC is the footballing equivalent of dodgy Xmas parks in the New Forest at the moment...

Drama queen to the last.

..but alpine is right

Those that stay away have done this club a favour. For were Lowe to have even more money, SFC would have even more on loan youngsters and more inexperienced coach's. Lowe wastes money. He doesn;t understand the difference between quantity and quality. Why is this? Because he is searching for the next Theo Walcott. He thinks there's one in every 10! Then, once found, we sell hime for 12mill. That's that seasons payments sorted.

What he doesn't understand is that all the time we're loaning cr*p and blooding youngsters before they're ready, is that we decline as a club and in reputation. Fans start to not turn up because 1 in 14 home win(s) IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

All those that blame the fans only have to look to one person to be removed, in order to stop this rot. And that is Rupert Lowe. Once he is gone FOR GOOD, maybe we can rebuild this club after HE has dismantled it. It will take a few years, but it's not unfixable. That is, unless he stays till the end of the season, by which time he would've removed JP and installed Wotte, lost belief in him and then hired someone else. The payouts alone will cost us dear, let alone the non-disclosure agreements (which also cost BTW) add this to the idea that Lowe has let NP go, JP will shortly follow, that'll be three managers since he took over. Relegation season anyone?

Well, at least his investment is safe. Oh no, the share price has almost halved since he announced his comeback, the banks are concerned, administration is looming, league 1 is calling and the fans hate him and aren;t showing up!

Lowe is a liability. Glad I'm not there to witness the murder of this club, the slow, lingering, torturous death of this club, our club, your club, my club.

Lowe is an idiot, time to go...

Mick dennis NEVER has a good thing to say about saints (i know we're **** blah blah blah). After the united game he didnt have a SINGLE nice word for Saints. Such a biased ****tard. Bit like express readers.

was their a good word to be said after the United game?

No one can deny that with an extra 10,000 on the gate each week we would be been in a better financial position and that would perhaps enable us to employ a better quality of player.

The revenue would have done much better had Pearson remained in charge.

However, through spite from lowe or whatever he did not stay.

When you have to pay 26 to 30 quid to endure disappointment every other week, sooner or later some people who can just about afford it will have had enough, even though at the beginning of the season they witness the appointment of someone that nobody has ever heard of with no experience of English football they might still have had a little bit of hope.

It was a disastrous BUSINESS decision as well as a footballing one.

Ask Mandaric. He's sitting pretty at the top of league one with one of the best young managers in the game. Gates are not falling.

But then, lowe knows what he's doing, right? And Poortvliet is still in charge.

I don't ****ing believe it, but at least I'm about seventy quid a month better off.

Also well done Mick Dennis he does have a point

The small minded hatred of Lowe is one of the reasons we are in the mess we are now.

So nothing to do with the mis-management of the club, resulting in relegation?

Nothing to do with the managerial merry go round at sms?

Nothing to do with the boardroom in fighting?

Nothing to do with lack of investment after relegation?

Nothing to do with selling of every single player of any value replacing them with cheap options?

Nothing to do stupid experiments with scw, how much money was wasted there at a time (not in the prem) when we couldn't afford it?

Nothing to do with closing the corners, sacking pearson, appointing a dutch nobody, playing the youth yet charging to watch the first team??

Yes your right, all down to the fans!!!

A high proportion of those fans will have been Man U fans and some people will view football as an entertainment where they will only pay top dollar to watch Saints play against the very best opposition, hence the reason you sell out in the PL, but attendances drop as soon as you hit the CCC. Poor results will further encourage the non ST holding fan who goes on a casual basis to not bother.

Remember, the 30,000 odd from the PL days was probably still a large number of casual fans wanting to go along for the odd day out. Why would they want to do that now with the dross being served up?

As with any club / social activity, product sales will relate to the quality and pricing of the product and ours is poor on quality and expensive to boot. An absolutely desperate combination when trying to improve revenue.

At the end of the day you will always get some that go regardless as it is their time away from other pressures etc, but I'll bet most Saints supporters do not fall into this category.

When you have to pay 26 to 30 quid to endure disappointment every other week, sooner or later some people who can just about afford it will have had enough, even though at the beginning of the season they witness the appointment of someone that nobody has ever heard of with no experience of English football they might still have had a little bit of hope.

its not a matter of people running out of patience, they just didn't turn up from the off

Brum 18,925

Blackpool 15,629

Ipswich 14,916

Barnsley 14,836

Norwich 14,480

Watford 17,454

Coventry 14,226

Bristol City 14,535

Wolves 17,812

Plymouth 14,895

Sheff Wed 15,440

Forrest 26,580

Reading 20,142

Donny 15,837

I will give you one very good additonal reason for the drop in attendances.

The last recession was supposed to be in 1991.

I was in the taxi trade at the time,and the taxi trade divebombed in late 1989.The taxi trade is a good barometer of economic activity.

I would suggest that this area enters recession a lot earlier than most places,which would tie in with the drop in our attendances in percentage terms compared to other areas of the country.