Pompey: Finances are boring!

TopGun

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie says talk about finances is boring as it is reported that Gaydamak cannot unload the club. While the club is available for £40m it has debts of at least £50m, a top heavy wage bill and a standstill in plans for a new stadium.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/02/premierleague-portsmouth1

Tee hee!

Edited by TopGun

Europe's richest man, Rinat Akhmetov, has turned down the opportunity to buy Portsmouth. An intermediary acting for the club last month approached representatives of System Capital Management, the holding company that controls Akhmetov's other businesses, with a prospectus, but was rebuffed immediately.

Akhmetov, who made his fortune in mining and metallurgical concerns, has been the president of the Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk since 1996. Portsmouth owner Alexandre Gaydamak, who has also been in talks with the South African consortium that has been linked to Fulham and Charlton, is believed to be looking for £40m for the club, which is understood to have debts totalling £50m.

Also from that article. The bold bits made me chuckle too :D

Ambition is nothing without delivering the results it implies.

Would I therefore be correct in reading into your statement that if you get no results (as in no takeover) it would imply a lack of ambition?

If so, could anyone explain why Saints have not been taken over?

We do have an ambitious chairman?

Oh! I've just answered my question.

Don't tell me, this is just another example of your complete and utter disinterest in all things Pompey, isn't it? You couldn't care less about us in any way, shape or form could you? :D

Storrie's comments about it being boring were because he's already answered the same question over and over again. He didn't say finances were boring. What he said was that journalists asking the same question was boring and that he'd already answered it, hence the "move on" comment.

As for Gaydamak being unable to offload the club and your glee at that apparent fact, what I'd say is that if you wait two weeks (or possibly even sooner) an announcement will be made that will leave you all with egg (or maybe egg foo yung) all over your faces.

Sorry to disappoint you :cool:

I reckon pompeys finances will continue to make the news. Unless they get bought, they have a whole world of trouble ahead of them. I'm not sure there are many billionaires out there right now willing to throw cash at a football club and if there are, surely those clubs with the infrastructure in place would be more be more appealing.

From what i can make out from the accounts, gaymark hasn't put any real money in, just saddled the club with debt (Happy to be proved wrong).

January could be interesting

Have they started work on the new stadium corp :confused:

I reckon pompeys finances will continue to make the news. Unless they get bought, they have a whole world of trouble ahead of them. I'm not sure there are many billionaires out there right now willing to throw cash at a football club and if there are, surely those clubs with the infrastructure in place would be more be more appealing.

From what i can make out from the accounts, gaymark hasn't put any real money in, just saddled the club with debt (Happy to be proved wrong).

January could be interesting

Have they started work on the new stadium corp :confused:

Given that the plans for the new stadium are still being drawn up there has unsurprisingly been now work started on it yet, nor will there be until Gaydamak leaves and the new owners take control (if you were selling the club would you spend multi millions on a new stadium - or anything for that matter?) The plans are changing to incorporate more commercial development rather than residential and if the rumours are to be believed two supermarket chains want to be involved, one to build a new store on the current Fratton Park site and the other one to build one adjacent to the new stadium. That should certainly help finance the new stadium.

Like I said, give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. How's the takeover of Saints coming along? How many players will you have to sell in January to stave off administration?

Don't tell me, this is just another example of your complete and utter disinterest in all things Pompey, isn't it? You couldn't care less about us in any way, shape or form could you? :D

Surfice to say, our 'obsession' doesnt go far enough to join the Pompey forum!

Oh

Storrie's comments about it being boring were because he's already answered the same question over and over again. He didn't say finances were boring. What he said was that journalists asking the same question was boring and that he'd already answered it, hence the "move on" comment.

Hell, if something good happend to me, I would never bore of answering questions about it. I bet he would happily answer questions about the FA cup win over and over again.

Maybe just maybe, a nerve has been hit?

As for Gaydamak being unable to offload the club and your glee at that apparent fact, what I'd say is that if you wait two weeks (or possibly even sooner) an announcement will be made that will leave you all with egg (or maybe egg foo yung) all over your faces.

Sorry to disappoint you :cool:

And again, we hear from Corp, that a takeover is in the making and inches away from being revealed. From the cryptic message you have posted above, Im guessing you are now implying it is a Chinese consortium/bidder who will be announced?!

If this is going so well, then why are other suiters being propositioned? And more to the point, Im pretty sure it was German bidders you said last time that were interested???

:cool:

And again, we hear from Corp, that a takeover is in the making and inches away from being revealed. From the cryptic message you have posted above, Im guessing you are now implying it is a Chinese consortium/bidder who will be announced?!

If this is going so well, then why are other suiters being propositioned? And more to the point, Im pretty sure it was German bidders you said last time that were interested???

There were several groups/ individuals who have been looking at buying Pompey. The German group were one of them, as dear old Nick Nack confirmed he'd heard. The Arab group that were going to buy Charlton were also interested but dropped out when Gaydamak wanted a company he has interests in to be given the building contract for the new stadium. There was also a group backed by money from the Rausing family (owners of the Tetrapak, richest family in Britain I believe) and a couple of others. However, I've been told that a deal ha now been done and will be announced within a couple of weeks. Like I said, wait and see.

If certain rumours are true, then in answer to your question above 'less than you probably!'

Bye bye, Diarra, Defoe, Campbell, Distin, Kranjkar, Crouch to name but a few...

I'm very confused by your statement here because I've been repeatedly told that Redknapp had assembled an expensive team of players that would have no resale value. However, looking at your list above I reckon that if we did sell them we'd pull in around £45 - £50m on those alone. And you've omitted Johnson (£5m?) Nugent (£3m) Kaboul (£4m?) plus a couple of others.

I'm very confused by your statement here because I've been repeatedly told that Redknapp had assembled an expensive team of players that would have no resale value. However, looking at your list above I reckon that if we did sell them we'd pull in around £45 - £50m on those alone. And you've omitted Johnson (£5m?) Nugent (£3m) Kaboul (£4m?) plus a couple of others.

I have never once said that Pompey have a high wage squad with no resale value. Only 50% of that statement is true, luckily for you that is.

I do not think you will go into administration, but there will be IMO a firesale which will see the likes of the mentioned players leave to a) chip into that huge debt of yours and b) reduce the unsustainable wage bill.

I do not think you would be taken over any time soon though. All IMO of course. But only time will tell.

There were several groups/ individuals who have been looking at buying Pompey. The German group were one of them, as dear old Nick Nack confirmed he'd heard. The Arab group that were going to buy Charlton were also interested but dropped out when Gaydamak wanted a company he has interests in to be given the building contract for the new stadium. There was also a group backed by money from the Rausing family (owners of the Tetrapak, richest family in Britain I believe) and a couple of others. However, I've been told that a deal ha now been done and will be announced within a couple of weeks. Like I said, wait and see.

Yep I heard the Germans were interested but got cold feet when they saw the state of things.

ps You disappeared again when things got a bit tough for your team.Couldnt face to flak when things get tough, just as Ive said about you time and again.

I love the idea that they want to build a new Supermarket next to their stadium, in a really inaccessible area, yet with an absolutely enormous Tesco about 1/4 of a mile away as the crow flies.

Yep, should get that through planning, no probs.

LOL.

Is that 3 or 4 years now, and you still haven't drawn up the plans :shock:

Even the plans for Wembley were drawn up in a couple of months....

Has their new stadium got Outline Planning Permission yet? I can't remember.

If it hasn't, then only concept plans need to be drawn up for OPP.

If it has, then detailed plans DO need to be drawn up but for Full Planning Permission but, FFS, it's only a football stadium. Err - seats, pitch, offices, changing rooms. Not exactly rocket science, is it :D

Given that the plans for the new stadium are still being drawn up there has unsurprisingly been now work started on it yet, nor will there be until Gaydamak leaves and the new owners take control (if you were selling the club would you spend multi millions on a new stadium - or anything for that matter?) The plans are changing to incorporate more commercial development rather than residential and if the rumours are to be believed two supermarket chains want to be involved, one to build a new store on the current Fratton Park site and the other one to build one adjacent to the new stadium. That should certainly help finance the new stadium.

Like I said, give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. How's the takeover of Saints coming along? How many players will you have to sell in January to stave off administration?

LOL Corp, please you have been banging on about the new stadium for years now, literally years.

You have been big enough to draw a line in sand time wise, so lets just wait and see.....will you return to the site, if it doesn't happen :D

Even if i take my skate hating glasses off, it simply doesntg stack up, even if gaymark sold the club for a £1.

50 million in debt + 40 million (Gaymarks asking price) + 100 million for your new stadium. Just short of 200 milllion, before you've bought one player

Everton For sale £75 million or less if new owners can prove money will go into the club...... over double your attendances, bigger history, bigger club.

That's just one example, but there are many more.

My prediction is that it wont happen and January and summer 2009, will see you sell your biggest assets as gayboy trys to repay the debt.

ps You disappeared again when things got a bit tough for your team.Couldnt face to flak when things get tough, just as Ive said about you time and again.

When was that that I "disappeared" then Nick (also, just when did the going get rough?) Very confused over both those comments. Perhaps you could tell me when and what you're referring to? :rolleyes:

LOL.

Is that 3 or 4 years now, and you still haven't drawn up the plans :shock:

Even the plans for Wembley were drawn up in a couple of months....

We've drawn up plans for two stadiums (three if you count Mandaric's one). However, the current proposed site has gone back to the drawing board to include more commercial and less residential dsevelopment. As you'd have already seen if you read the post properly. ;)

I love the idea that they want to build a new Supermarket next to their stadium, in a really inaccessible area, yet with an absolutely enormous Tesco about 1/4 of a mile away as the crow flies.

So, it's inaccessible but Tesco built one a 1/4 mile away. How does that work then? The rumour is that it's Tesco that wants the site to build a bigger store than the one currently at North Harbour.

Even if i take my skate hating glasses off, it simply doesntg stack up, even if gaymark sold the club for a £1.

50 million in debt + 40 million (Gaymarks asking price) + 100 million for your new stadium. Just short of 200 milllion, before you've bought one player

Everton For sale £75 million or less if new owners can prove money will go into the club...... over double your attendances, bigger history, bigger club.

That's just one example, but there are many more.

One thing you forgot Archie, in addition to the money needed to buy Everton any buyer would need to factor in the cost of building their new stadium. That would take the cost well in excess of what it would take to buy Pompey and build the new ground. I've seen Everton valued at anywhere between £80m - £125m to buy. Add in another £150m or so for their new stadium and Pompey looks comparatively cheap. Better opportunities to make some money back from commercial and residential developments with Pompey too.

but that doesnt stop the rumours. We had loads of world stars perportedly going to Pompey before and after transfer windows in the past.

Look Nick Nack/ Mavis, if you're so dumb that you can't understand that the "gossip" (look up the meaning of the word) is lifted from the papers and websites rather than me claiming that all those players would be arriving at PFC then I feel sorry for you.

We've drawn up plans for two stadiums (three if you count Mandaric's one). However, the current proposed site has gone back to the drawing board to include more commercial and less residential dsevelopment. As you'd have already seen if you read the post properly. ;)

...and also to include less seats presumably as once again you struggled to muster 18,000 home fans at the weekend in these heady-times? ;)

You disappeared again when things got a bit tough for your team.Couldnt face to flak when things get tough, just as Ive said about you time and again.

Well, Mavis, you seem to have disappeared this time. Could you not face it? Did the going get too rough for you? LOL

...and also to include less seats presumably as once again you struggled to muster 18,000 home fans at the weekend in these heady-times? ;)

We've had 6 home league games so far this season and had 117,000 people through the turnstiles. Considering that of the games we've played, 4 of the teams (Boro, Stoke, Fulham and Wigan) are traditionally games where most clubs would get their smallest gates of the season that means we've averaged 95% sell outs so far. Given that apart from Stoke none of those clubs took their full allocation of tickets either that's consistent with our crowds since we came up. More than you had at The Dell prior to moving to St Marys I might remind you and also, as

BIG DAZZA said on a thread on the main board a week or so ago you didn't always fill The Dell so I can't see what issues we'd have in a bigger stadium, can you? :cool:

Well, Mavis, you seem to have disappeared this time. Could you not face it? Did the going get too rough for you? LOL

QUOTE] I dont spend my time stalking people on a rivals site and so I glance at posts on here spasmodically, (that funny enough would be quite a good name for you) Anyway has mummy called for you to take her up her tea?

It doesnt matter how applications you put in ,. You told us that the sheds were being taken down(not your stands) and work was under way...about 2 years ago.

The Pompey gossip was you coming on here giving us the big one on how important your lot were as you were linked with them. I doubt you will be posting it after this season... there again you will disappear and go and follow Man City or another club you can feel big about

We've had 6 home league games so far this season and had 117,000 people through the turnstiles. Considering that of the games we've played, 4 of the teams (Boro, Stoke, Fulham and Wigan) are traditionally games where most clubs would get their smallest gates of the season that means we've averaged 95% sell outs so far. Given that apart from Stoke none of those clubs took their full allocation of tickets either that's consistent with our crowds since we came up. More than you had at The Dell prior to moving to St Marys I might remind you and also, as

BIG DAZZA said on a thread on the main board a week or so ago you didn't always fill The Dell so I can't see what issues we'd have in a bigger stadium, can you? :cool:

But........you’ve just had the best 5 or so years of your lives, big name players, promotion, us relegated, ‘Arry coming back...ok maybe not that one anymore;)...winning the cup, Europe...but you still can’t fill that little ol’ ground of yours. Wasn’t there only 12,000 home fans inside fartton against Chelski in the cup the other week?

The facts are you’ve had 1000s of empty seats this season (and many before) that could have been bought by home fans, you’re gonna need to find 15-20,000 new fans to fill your new ground (if...) why aren’t they clamouring to snap up tickets when they're regularly becoming available already?

Nah, ‘Arry sussed you, that’s why he’s naffed off to a “big club” and Gaymac’s also had enough, they now know they’ve taken you as far as they can.

BTW it’s true the Dell wasn’t always full, sometimes a few hundred short of capacity but it generally it was for home fans - unlike farrton, unsold seats couldn’t then be sold on to home fans.

Harry The Hotspur :smt023

We all know that Twitchy lost his real sense of smell following his car accident but it seems to have given him an extra sense recently about getting out while the going is good.

Obviously he hadn't quite honed that substitute sense exactly when he joined Saints, despite his recent comments that he knew Saints were on the slide when he joined them and therefore couldn't stop relegation!!!

What a c**t the man is (Pompey fans are welcome to agree with this non-partisan statement with no come back).

I dont spend my time stalking people on a rivals site and so I glance at posts on here spasmodically, (that funny enough would be quite a good name for you) Anyway has mummy called for you to take her up her tea?

It doesnt matter how applications you put in ,. You told us that the sheds were being taken down(not your stands) and work was under way...about 2 years ago.

The Pompey gossip was you coming on here giving us the big one on how important your lot were as you were linked with them. I doubt you will be posting it after this season... there again you will disappear and go and follow Man City or another club you can feel big about

1. Difficult for my mummy to call me to take her tea as she's been dead for sevaral years.

2. The sheds at the back of Fratton Park were knocked down.

3. Jesus Christ Mavis, how many times do I have to spell it out for you morons, the gossip I post is pulled from various websites and newspapers. Do you genuinely think I believe every rumour linking us with a player on crap like Tribal Football? If I did I'd think we'd have a squad of about 400 players you gimp. The reason I'm not posting any at the moment is (can you guess, you poor old senile, incontinent duffer?) because the transfer window is still 2 months away and there's not a lot of rumours out there at the moment. LOL. No doubt the amount of rumours will go down anyway now that Redknapp has left.

4. You still haven't told me when I "disappeared" or when the "going got rough". Care to enlighten me?

lol at the ho. Getting all ****ty on a saints board about people ribbing P*mpey. Stupid skate what do you think is going to happen? Anyway, as a side issue, I didn't know you could get broadband in caravans

1. Getting ****ty? I would have thought the smilies at the end of the posts indicated the exact opposite. Just replying to comments and asking some questions of my own. Which most on here don't seem to have answers to.

2. Broadband in caravans. How original. Are you the founder of the Southampton branch of the Oscar Wilde appreciation society?