Pompey: Finances are boring!

TopGun

Anything yet?

Unfortunately for me it looks as though the Chinese group (whose bid isapparently still on the table) are going to be outbid by the South African offer (see story below from the South African newspaper). Would rather the Chinese lot won as they seem prepared to put more into the club but Gaydamak will make more from the African one, not just initially but also an involvement in any stadium that's built. There's also a group from the UAE sniffing around who met with Gaydamak last week. Looks like I've ended up with egg foo yung on my face over the date on this one but I'm still willing to bet that we get new owners before you do. ;)

SA group to bid for Portsmouth ‘in 2 weeks’

A consortium of South African and British-based businessmen will make a formal offer for Portsmouth football club within weeks, Prosport International’s Mike Makaab confirmed yesterday.

Describing himself as a “contact person” on the consortium’s behalf, Makaab told the Sunday Times: “I am confident that a bid will be made within 14 days.”

Makaab, a football agent with some foreign-based South African footballers on his books, would not divulge the names of the backers of the bid. But he rejected the claim that the financial muscle came from either Sundowns owner Patrice Motsepe (as rumours this week have suggested) or local and offshore mining capital.

In clarifying the role of Greg James, owner of the JAG investment group and the majority shareholder in Prosport, Makaab claimed that James being in Portsmouth this week was simply coincidental.

“He was simply there to explore synergies between his JAG sports foundation and Portsmouth’s very strong community-oriented development programme,” Makaab said.

James is also the CEO of the Central Rand Gold mining group.

The Portsmouth plot is further thickened by the fact that Makaab and Israeli football agent Pini Zahavi are well known to each other. Zahavi is well connected with Portsmouth’s owner, Alexandre Gaydamak, and might be keen to create a role for himself in a post-Gaydamak era if Gaydamak sells the club, estimated to be worth about £70-million.

Makaab acknowledged that these were not the best of economic times, but said that carrying debt was part and parcel of life in the Premiership. He said clubs had significant assets in players, stadiums and training grounds, although Fratton Park, Portsmouth’s home ground, was small and the club had debts running into tens of millions of pounds.

A good time to buy, then? Makaab was polite but coy with the Sunday Times, saying: “A lot depends on the numbers — if numbers don’t work out, deals don’t happen. One has to heed the economic climate, obviously. ”

http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Article.aspx?id=885192

If you bothered to read the story properly the dispute is between Defoe and his agent, not any irregularity by Pompey. D minus, must try harder

I don't understand Corp Ho's constant argument regarding pompey being more likely bought out than Saints.

Its quite self-explanatory to me:-

Surely its a case of just about any premiership club being a more attractive proposition than a championship club?

Some people on here are convinced that we are a more attractive club to buy than the skates. These people are clearly wrong.

an involvement in any stadium that's built.

A consortium of South African and British-based businessmen will make a formal offer for Portsmouth football club within weeks, Prosport International’s Mike Makaab confirmed yesterday.

Oh Dear, it looks like Corps's conviction regarding a new stadium is starting to wane!

Oh, and the British Businessman involved isn't called Marc Jackson is he??

If you bothered to read the story properly the dispute is between Defoe and his agent, not any irregularity by Pompey. D minus, must try harder

However, the police have received additional information as reported in the Telegraph a week ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/3443313/Police-expand-football-corruption-probe-Football.html

I think this needs to be a little clearer for certain other posters...

Oi, Hobo, what do you make of this? Takeover my arse, your just a small town in Hampshire, small town in Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaampshire

PMSL. So when Storrie says this he's the man to listen to but when he says we have no financial problems and that we won't be selling players in January you tell me he's a liar and that we're going bust. I love the way you lot change your tune when it suits you.

As for us being a small town, I think you'll find that we were deemed a city many years before your little dump and in theory, you still shouldn't be classed as a city given that you don't have a cathedral. Portsmouth has two. Would you like one of them as you can't seem to afford your own? :D

PMSL. So when Storrie says this he's the man to listen to but when he says we have no financial problems and that we won't be selling players in January you tell me he's a liar and that we're going bust. I love the way you lot change your tune when it suits you.

As for us being a small town, I think you'll find that we were deemed a city many years before your little dump and in theory, you still shouldn't be classed as a city given that you don't have a cathedral. Portsmouth has two. Would you like one of them as you can't seem to afford your own? :D

Most pompey fans i know don't believe a word storie says, but his statement did smack a little of desperation, so may be this time he is telling the truth

Ouch! Out of all the insults you have thrown at us in the past, this one hurts the most. :(

...but...and I do realise 'Arry wanted to manage a "big club"...if you were really gonna build a new stadium...and...you had no financial problems, then just why did he f*k orf so suddenly from his retirement home?

And you must admit, Ms 'bridge too far' does raise a very good point about our more significant city status.

...but...and I do realise 'Arry wanted to manage a "big club"...if you were really gonna build a new stadium...and...you had no financial problems, then just why did he f*k orf so suddenly from his retirement home?

And you must admit, Ms 'bridge too far' does raise a very good point about our more significant city status. :)

Just logged on and returning from the US tuesday(of course we are on the internet and so I may really be holidaying in Woolston). I expected that Pompey would have been sold by now, after all Ho has been telling us they were a done deal.As for being a city you have to may a university as well to be a city.As for Pompey having 2x cathedrals, they are world reknowned you often see them on commemorative stamps and in tourist broucheres.I really didnt know they had one. Are you not getting confused when you saw somne Cathedral city cheese in the lcal news and food? Funny enough you can buy htat for about a pound

And you must admit, Ms 'bridge too far' does raise a very good point about our more significant city status.

Because he negotiated a £4m staying up fee with Spurs management.. ..:smt075

• 7 months later...
Don't tell me, this is just another example of your complete and utter disinterest in all things Pompey, isn't it? You couldn't care less about us in any way, shape or form could you? :D

Storrie's comments about it being boring were because he's already answered the same question over and over again. He didn't say finances were boring. What he said was that journalists asking the same question was boring and that he'd already answered it, hence the "move on" comment.

As for Gaydamak being unable to offload the club and your glee at that apparent fact, what I'd say is that if you wait two weeks (or possibly even sooner) an announcement will be made that will leave you all with egg (or maybe egg foo yung) all over your faces.

Sorry to disappoint you :cool:

any update?

Just logged on and returning from the US tuesday(of course we are on the internet and so I may really be holidaying in Woolston). I expected that Pompey would have been sold by now, after all Ho has been telling us they were a done deal.As for being a city you have to may a university as well to be a city.As for Pompey having 2x cathedrals, they are world reknowned you often see them on commemorative stamps and in tourist broucheres.I really didnt know they had one. Are you not getting confused when you saw somne Cathedral city cheese in the lcal news and food? Funny enough you can buy htat for about a pound

Didn't Portsmouth used to be in the County of Southampton?

• 2 years later...
Given that the plans for the new stadium are still being drawn up there has unsurprisingly been now work started on it yet, nor will there be until Gaydamak leaves and the new owners take control (if you were selling the club would you spend multi millions on a new stadium - or anything for that matter?) The plans are changing to incorporate more commercial development rather than residential and if the rumours are to be believed two supermarket chains want to be involved, one to build a new store on the current Fratton Park site and the other one to build one adjacent to the new stadium. That should certainly help finance the new stadium.

Like I said, give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. How's the takeover of Saints coming along? How many players will you have to sell in January to stave off administration?

:lol:

• 11 months later...
lol - all gathering pace now and people actually being named, we were expecting something this week and looks like we might get it. Somewhat jealous Saints fans on here I reckon, poor old pathetic tinpot smalltime pompey more of an attractive investment than the mighty saints lol - small team in hampshire you lot - FACT ! I know your all clinging to the hope of administration for us and a fire sale in January, shame your not going to get it isn't it. And of course we'll get to see you languish in League 1 next season whilst we have another top 10 finish.

Wow, that all seems such a long time ago now.

• 2 months later...