AIDS

Turkish

Do people still get it? Back in the 80s it was the disease of choice for our celebrities, these days they are more interested in checking themselves into clinics to fight the current trend of anxiety, depression or addiction. 25 years ago you couldn't open a paper without a story about it or turn on the telly with hearing 'this is not the voice of an actor, James is 28 and HIV positive'. It was so serious even eastenders ran a story on it. warnings were everywhere, wear condoms, don't share needles, these days it barely gets a mention even on Holby City. So like Acid rain did the threat stop in about 1996 or are we all still at risk if we so much as use the same urinal as a carrier?

Strange isn't it. Despite it being so widespread i've never met anyone who has it, or know of anyone i know meeting anyone that has it.

I assume you don't hang around with a lot of hard druggies, gay men or Africans then.

AIDS is a very manageable disease nowadays, which is why it doesn't get the press it did, and prognosis is generally good for those who get it.

Still kills a lot of people in Africa mind.

I assume you don't hang around with a lot of hard druggies, gay men or Africans then.

AIDS is a very manageable disease nowadays, which is why it doesn't get the press it did, and prognosis is generally good for those who get it.

Still kills a lot of people in Africa mind.

Controverisal....

So european, hetrosexual people who aren't smack heads are safe then? Thats not what Katie, 26 who wasn't an actress told me on the telly in 1991.

The figures in Africa, especially South Africa, the figures are still pretty scary. Of women in the age group around 30, I think it's around 30% that have the virus.

Yes, confirmed here. Over 10% of all South Africans have HIV or AIDS, up to around one in three for women aged 25-35:

http://www.avert.org/south-africa-hiv-aids-statistics.htm

Clearly still a huge problem in many areas, not sure of the stats for the UK.

You can take those statistics with a pinch of salt. Stats in SA are very unreliable anyway, more so when being used to push an agenda. It is, of course a big problem but not as big as they would have you believe.

As a foster parent to eight newborns in South Africa in the past four years, you would expect two or three to be positive based on those numbers. Particularly as they were all abandoned at birth by their mothers, and therefore higher risk.

In reality only one came from a mother known to be +ve, and we had him on ARV's until two clear tests. We tested the others as soon as they arrived with us. So none out of eight.

You can take those statistics with a pinch of salt. Stats in SA are very unreliable anyway, more so when being used to push an agenda. It is, of course a big problem but not as big as they would have you believe.

As a foster parent to eight newborns in South Africa in the past four years, you would expect two or three to be positive based on those numbers. Particularly as they were all abandoned at birth by their mothers, and therefore higher risk.

In reality only one came from a mother known to be +ve, and we had him on ARV's until two clear tests. We tested the others as soon as they arrived with us. So none out of eight.

I have no idea how reliable the data is and have no real desire to go and check it all, having only looked at it as part of a study of South African society with one of my English classes. However, with approximately a 2.5% infection rate within that age group according to 2008 stats, I would question whether that means that at least one in eight should have been infected. Even within a higher risk group, the odds are still heavily against infection in every case.

I have no actual knowledge within the area though and wouldn't claim to be well informed at all.

I long for ailments of old. Rickets and scurvy are due a comeback.

Your so 20 years ago turks, its all about the E-Bola these days, I think you get it over the internet so Ive stopped opening Emails.

It'll become a retro disease, it's time will come again. Personally think it's time for another bought of Black Death, but in the name of multiculturalism the 2015 verion will be called mixed race Death.

Assuming that Aids ever was the trendy ‘must-have’ disease of 1980s’ fashionistas then this strange attitude echoes the early nineteenth-century Romantic notion that tuberculosis selected its victims by virtue of their youth, vitality, beauty and artistic ability; whereas, in reality – as is the case with Aids and TB today – the majority of consumptives were common-or-garden members of civilisation’s less privileged strata.

Crikey, that was a mouthful. :?

It'll become a retro disease, it's time will come again. Personally think it's time for another bought of Black Death, but in the name of multiculturalism the 2015 verion will be called mixed race Death.

Funny you should say that ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2849316/Outbreak-bubonic-plague-Madagascar-claimed-47-victims-spreading-island-s-capital.html

"Disease of choice", says one of you.

"Trendy 'must-have' disease of 1980s fashionistas", says another.

Jeez! :rolleyes:

"Disease of choice", says one of you.

"Assuming that Aids ever was the trendy 'must-have' disease of 1980s' fashionistas …", says another.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic and mistakenly thought it wasn’t necessary to add “which it obviously wasn’t!”

I have lived in several of the worst affected countries in the world and can assure you it still exists and is a real problem. Why it is less noticeable is that firstly if you have it with correct management people can now live for decades and secondly with proper education and protection it is actually very hard to catch.