Best bars/clubs in Southampton

Monk

:lol:Right, so most of the others are buggering off back to uni and we are usually stuck down Portsmouth for a night out, Thursday for student night at tigertiger and Guildhall walk on weekends, which gets a bit 'samey'.

Where would you recommend for a decent night in Southampton?

Oceana seems bit of an asbo fest but obviously after a few drinks’ it doesn’t matter too much as inevitably we’ll end up in there. All in early twenties so please not anywhere we’ll have over forties hanging off us with their vile fake tans and sleeve tattoos.

Also what night is student night? New intake soon!!

Cheers gents.

:lol:Right, so most of the others are buggering off back to uni and we are usually stuck down Portsmouth for a night out, Thursday for student night at tigertiger and Guildhall walk on weekends, which gets a bit 'samey'.

Where would you recommend for a decent night in Southampton?

Oceana seems bit of an asbo fest but obviously after a few drinks’ it doesn’t matter too much as inevitably we’ll end up in there. All in early twenties so please not anywhere we’ll have over forties hanging off us with their vile fake tans and sleeve tattoos.

Also what night is student night? New intake soon!!

Cheers gents.

I'd throughly recomend going through a few older women while you are in your late teens early 20's. I did, went through quite a few mid thirties and early fourties women when i was that age, a wealth of experience, enthusiastic and desperate for some young cock after having boring, overweight husbands neglecting them during the day and trying to stick their rod in them of a night when p*ssed. Plus a few of them had a bit of cash as well so quite happy to spend it on you buying you drinks all night in return for a good seeing to at the end of the night. Obviously not the nasty, rough type, but the classy ones who make an effort and look after themselves, easy pickings if you've got anything about you.

Although it's probably best to avoid the line a mate of mine used once when a song from about 15 years ago came on in a club we were in "i bet this song was really popular when you were young wasn't it love"

Southampton is a pretty dump night out now. Maybe I'm just finding it too samey? Just seems like everywhere closes far too early. Not many places open after 2am now.

Depending on what you enjoy...

Bedford place: (general drinking area with mix of students and wannabe students whith a tad more cash)

Orange Rooms - Very good reputation and get some big acts in there. Good atmosphere. Quality cocktails and drinks selection and decent venue all round

Pop - Just been purchased by Orange Rooms and is good considering the size

Buddah Lounge - Get some very nice ladies in there but very pretentious. Can be alright for a pre drink and have a nice new roof area.

Tokyo - Not had a good night there yet...

90 Degrees - Pretty pretentious but decent gash.

Revs - More laid back. Downstairs is a good laugh with cheese and current music. Upstairs is more like a club.

Junk - Always used to be hit and miss but has been a major miss recently. All they play is melow techno. I remember when there were queues around the corner for this place, not anymore.

Chambers - Was always a pre drinking venue but now open til 3am and decent drinks in there. Not stayed late yet though

Kellys - Avoid unless you want to laugh at chavs. Amusingly they only allow you in wearing shoes

Level 1 - See above

Reflex - Is what it is. If you like 80s cheese, you'll love this

Cafe Parfait - Used to be White House. Nothing special and their cheap house Vodka tastes like bleach. Spend the extra 40p on the branded stuff.

Then you've got pre drinking venues such as Avondale, Varsity, Pensioners, a Wetherspoons and Yuzu which are all alright

Bevos Vally: (no thrill student area, dirt cheap)

Jesters - As said in other posts, absolute class night out

SoBar - On a good night it's great! On a quiet night, it's pants!

Kaos - Much like Jesters, cheap and quality!!

Lennons - Get some scrags in there. Not been in for a while but can be quite good depending on how busy the area is.

Dungeon - Only been once and was pleasently surprised.

Above Bar: (chav central)

Yates

Square

Slug & Letace

Whatever Toad in the Park in now called.

Old Fat Cat

Bit further down the road is Bliss which smelt like feet last time I was there.

Other end is Wahoo (was Walkabout) and is just basically a rebranded Walkabout.

Then further down again is Club Rosso which nearly got shut down recently 'cos of all the trouble.

Then there's Oceana which I don't tend to end up in due to it's location. But being the size it is, if it's busy, it can be good.

I wish Soton made the most of Ocean Village and/or Mayflower Park. We could have some quality night spots.

• 1 year later...
After searching for 'best clubs in Southampton' on google, it sent me back to SaintsWeb!!

Appreciate the post above by GB, I'm out on Saturday for a mates birthday and wondering whether there have been any changes since August 2011?

No, not much changed at all really, Level One now closed I think and Reflex is now called Pop World and that's about it.

Junk have really upped their game in recent months, getting good signings most Saturdays. Was there the day we played Chelsea, Luca Pilato then Bicep were on, and it was top notch. They also had James Zabiela 2 weeks before, which I was gutted to miss. Depends on whether you just want to get trashed or like the music really.

If you're deciding between those 3, you might as well do all of them. That said, Orange is by far the best of the 3.

Junk have always had good DJs and live acts, only problem is that the drinks are so expensive that it's only ever half-full.

Square Balloon is now Provenance, and it's THE place to go if you want a punch-up. Police are talking about shutting it down because of all the constant fighting...

Oxford Street is good, but not much going on if you're under 25 and looking for a night out.

Strange that. We didnt get home until 4am, were completely p*ssed, had a curry and a boogie, and I ended up getting her up the duff again afterwards.

Sounds like all the essential ingredients for a night out...

Southampton is a pretty dump night out now. Maybe I'm just finding it too samey? Just seems like everywhere closes far too early. Not many places open after 2am now.

Depending on what you enjoy...

Bedford place: (general drinking area with mix of students and wannabe students whith a tad more cash)

Orange Rooms - Very good reputation and get some big acts in there. Good atmosphere. Quality cocktails and drinks selection and decent venue all round

Pop - Just been purchased by Orange Rooms and is good considering the size

Buddah Lounge - Get some very nice ladies in there but very pretentious. Can be alright for a pre drink and have a nice new roof area.

Tokyo - Not had a good night there yet...

90 Degrees - Pretty pretentious but decent gash.

Revs - More laid back. Downstairs is a good laugh with cheese and current music. Upstairs is more like a club.

Junk - Always used to be hit and miss but has been a major miss recently. All they play is melow techno. I remember when there were queues around the corner for this place, not anymore.

Chambers - Was always a pre drinking venue but now open til 3am and decent drinks in there. Not stayed late yet though

Kellys - Avoid unless you want to laugh at chavs. Amusingly they only allow you in wearing shoes

Level 1 - See above

Reflex - Is what it is. If you like 80s cheese, you'll love this

Cafe Parfait - Used to be White House. Nothing special and their cheap house Vodka tastes like bleach. Spend the extra 40p on the branded stuff.

Then you've got pre drinking venues such as Avondale, Varsity, Pensioners, a Wetherspoons and Yuzu which are all alright

Bevos Vally: (no thrill student area, dirt cheap)

Jesters - As said in other posts, absolute class night out

SoBar - On a good night it's great! On a quiet night, it's pants!

Kaos - Much like Jesters, cheap and quality!!

Lennons - Get some scrags in there. Not been in for a while but can be quite good depending on how busy the area is.

Dungeon - Only been once and was pleasently surprised.

Above Bar: (chav central)

Yates

Square

Slug & Letace

Whatever Toad in the Park in now called.

Old Fat Cat

Bit further down the road is Bliss which smelt like feet last time I was there.

Other end is Wahoo (was Walkabout) and is just basically a rebranded Walkabout.

Then further down again is Club Rosso which nearly got shut down recently 'cos of all the trouble.

Then there's Oceana which I don't tend to end up in due to it's location. But being the size it is, if it's busy, it can be good.

I wish Soton made the most of Ocean Village and/or Mayflower Park. We could have some quality night spots.

Few things have changed since this. Level one, Wahoo and Kaos have all closed down. Buddha is much better now, as is Parfait. I've since had a few good nights in Tokyo too. Rhino is open late but don't really go there. Unit can be quality.

Edited by Golden Balls

Few things have changed since this. Level one, Wahoo and Kaos have all closed down. Buddha is much better now, as is Parfait. I've since had a few good nights in Tokyo too. Rhino is open late but don't really go there. Unit can be quality.

I wonder if he has anything to say about that ?

Apart from the best pub in Southampton having opened in Bevois Valley. Shooting Star down that way is decent too.

There's also Roxx just off Bedford Place. I haven't been yet but they've put on some decent DJ's recently.

Apart from the best pub in Southampton having opened in Bevois Valley. Shooting Star down that way is decent too.

There's also Roxx just off Bedford Place. I haven't been yet but they've put on some decent DJ's recently.

Right you are. The Rockstone (previously Bevois Castle) is a fantastic pub with great food.

I've also not been to Roxx yet.

Right you are. The Rockstone (previously Bevois Castle) is a fantastic pub with great food.

I've also not been to Roxx yet.

The Rockstone has been getting so busy lately they've had to turn people away.

Just booked tickets to see Public Service Broadcasting at Roxx next month. Apparently the club has a superb sound system so it should be a heck of a gig.

Can't believe no one put the Platform Tavern!! Great great beer, I also like the Duke of Wellington, Titanic and the Red Lion. If a bit more fancy... Oxford street?

I would not go near above bar! If around London Road, the Alex is all right.

How about, top rank, scullards, Parkers, old oriental, bargate, Peggy sues, turpins or for a real treat Sterns at Worthing.

Old Oriental, I got my head proper smashed in there years ago, a judas punch and a good kicking on the deck, two weeks off work and on the ale, good memories.

Can't believe no one put the Platform Tavern!! Great great beer, I also like the Duke of Wellington, Titanic and the Red Lion. If a bit more fancy... Oxford street?

I would not go near above bar! If around London Road, the Alex is all right.

Think the OP was on about bars/clubs though rather than pubs.

• 9 months later...