Transfer window - bump back to earth?

Thedelldays

This transfer window has been a huge bump to earth for so many it seems.

All the talk about the prem being average, the likes of stoke and other mid table teams are no better than the top of the NPC and all the crap about how super rich saints are. Remember how confident everyone was saying we should finish mid table and how we don't need to spend £300m+ to make the champions league

Yep, a huge bump to earth to join us realists who always knew we would struggle like hell this season to bring in top quality unless we splashed huge money

May also, hopefully, stop the utter ridiculous champions league talk.

I have to admit I have been surprised. I was very optimistic after the signing of Jay Rod and Davis. Clyne too I felt was a decent addition. Seeing some of our rivals strengthening though whilst we still have glaring holes in our team has turned me back into being a pessimist sadly. I think that even with a few additions before the end of the window, we may struggle this season and could well get relegated which would be a damn shame considering how hard we have worked to get back .

Every transfer window in the last few years has been the same.... Weeks and weeks of nailbiting, gradually thinking the club don't have the money/don't have any ambition/aren't trying hard enough before, yep, sure enough it all sparks into life with a few days to go and most if not all of the fans worries are sorted.

Don't panic, it will be fine.

Quite possible that the team could surprise us and do well. That's what it would be though with unproven players and it would surprise all the pundits and bookies as well.

Anything is possible, though the likelihood with the squad in its current form remains very small.

Our defence is going to have its arses reamed.

Every transfer window in the last few years has been the same.... Weeks and weeks of nailbiting, gradually thinking the club don't have the money/don't have any ambition/aren't trying hard enough before, yep, sure enough it all sparks into life with a few days to go and most if not all of the fans worries are sorted.

Don't panic, it will be fine.

Considering the club has STs to sell, a stadium to fill and fans to get on board the bus, its a f**king stupid strategy, if it is a planned strategy at all.

I must admit I'm not quite sure what to expect at the moment, it could go 2 ways.

I have alot of time for players such as Rodriguez, Clyne and Davis - I think all 3 are outstanding talents and massive signings for us who will only improve what we have. Then you have the obvious question marks over our lack of experienced cover at the centre back, which at this moment in time is a pretty light area.

I think we're being quite ambitious with our targets, which is exciting in a way, but also a little but frustrating as we miss out on target after target. I'm still of the opinion that if we get in another couple of CB's and a RW we may well have a decent season as I think we already have quality in our squad.

I think the ''lack of quality'' thread is a good indication of some peoples expectations. For where we are and were we've come from our signings so far have been excellent.

For where we are and were we've come from our signings so far have been excellent.

Not sure if I could possibly say we've made excellent signings so far.

We have a reserve keeper (when we arguably need a replacement first choice). We have a £7M striker who is being played out of position at left wing, supposedly because we've changed our main way of playing to only one up front. We have a Cm with previous seasons well rated in the PL but who has spent 4 years playing less than competitive football in Scotland. And finally a very good right back, the pick of the bunch IMO. We're still missing up to 5 new players for which the manager himself stated he would be looking to fill.

Our signings have been good so; in terms of the overall transfer policy we're possibly only halfway there (if that), and with a few days until the start of the season that really isn't good at all.

Where they the ones suggesting saints go for rodwell, Adam Johnson and the like?

Whilst at the same time saying Saints didn't need to spend hundreds of millions to make the champions league, all we need is a good academy and a decent manager. Oh and t spend less money, but more cleverly to suceed where everyone else has failed.

To be honest I see a tough season ahead unless we sign three (good) players. What we've sign so far has been good, Clyne in particular I think will do very well for us, however as it stands right now there are 16 days left in the transfer window and we still need two CBs and a quick attacking wide player or we're in for a torrid time this season.

Showing some ambition and trying to pull of a coup is fine, if it comes off fantastic, but why do this now when surely the focus should be on targeting good players that we have a realistic chance of signing?

The last thing anyone will want is for us to have messed all summer about chasing a marquee signing, running out of time and panic buying donkeys in the last couple of days.

The last thing anyone will want is for us to have messed all summer about chasing a marquee signing, running out of time and panic buying donkeys in the last couple of days.

We won't panic buy, we will panic loan. Just like we did with Jos Hooiveld, which actually worked out well.

We won't panic buy, we will panic loan. Just like we did with Jos Hooiveld, which actually worked out well.

Our record of loan signings really isn't very good when viewed in total. I had hoped we would avoid the last minute desperation scenario we had with the Hooiveld gamble.

Can everyone just chill the f*ck out and have some perspective? Remember where we were 2 years ago. Remember where this club was 4 years ago. "Oh no, we are doomed in the Premier League because we've only spent £10m so far and signed 4 players..." Get over it.

Compared to transfer windows when we sell our best players on the last day and sign some sack of sh:t who's barely fit for two leagues below I'd say it's not too bad really.

Those days are supposed to be over.

We've just fought blood-and-guts to get back to the Premiership, and our transfer activity has been odd, to say the least.

Our record of loan signings really isn't very good when viewed in total. I had hoped we would avoid the last minute desperation scenario we had with the Hooiveld gamble.

Our record with signing centre backs isn't very good either.

Can everyone just chill the f*ck out and have some perspective? Remember where we were 2 years ago. Remember where this club was 4 years ago. "Oh no, we are doomed in the Premier League because we've only spent £10m so far and signed 4 players..." Get over it.

Chill out? Everyone else in this thread seems fairly calm and rational. 2 years ago has nothing to do with it, Nigel Adkins has stated he wants to bring in a number of players before the season kicked off and it hasn't happened.

When is this "look where we were 2 years ago" nonsense going to stop? Its completely irrelevant now.

Those days are supposed to be over.

We've just fought blood-and-guts to get back to the Premiership, and our transfer activity has been odd, to say the least.

This.

We keep being told how much ambition and drive the chairman has and how it's the first time this club has had substantial investment and rescources, yet we seem to be penny pinching in the the transfer market when it's clear to everyone we desperately need quality players in key positions.

Who are you and when did you steal Kraken's login details ? Too much sense being spoken.

Same old story with a lot though isn't it. We shouldn't question Cortese because 3 years go we nearly went bust, we shouldn't question the transfers this summer because 2 years ago we were in L1. We should all skip to games with smiles on our faces just pleased we've still got a club to support and delighted we are back in the premier league. Boll*cks to that,we're paying or Premier league prices,let's have some premier league players.

Same old story with a lot though isn't it. We shouldn't question Cortese because 3 years go we nearly went bust, we shouldn't question the transfers this summer because 2 years ago we were in L1. We should all skip to games with smiles on our faces just pleased we've still got a club to support and delighted we are back in the premier league. Boll*cks to that,we're paying or Premier league prices,let's have some premier league players.

I don't mind so much the people who want to see the best of things, and lets be fair there's still some time until the transfer window shuts.

That said, Nigel Adkins specifically stated that we were short of up to 6 players (2 x GK, 2 x CB, 1 x RM, 1 x LB/LM). he also stated he wanted to bring them in before the season started. For whatever reason, that hasn't happened and therefore its fully justified to question why. Its those that try desperately to ignore that fact that I fail to comprehend. we haven't achieved what the manager wanted us to achieve, plain and simple.

Jeez, we have some real doom and gloom merchants on here don't we!!! Just over 3 years ago we were in Pompey's position in administration having just been relegated with a **** team relying on kids who just weren't good enough, we were sitting bottom of league one with a points deduction........fast forward 3 years...........We're back in the Premier League, the best league in the world and all we can do is moan that we haven't made a "marquee signing" and we haven't filled all our weak positions. Did people really expect us to be pushing for europe??? I for one will be happy if we finish in 17th and really build year 2. The window hasn't closed yet, if the window closes and we don't have a CB or RM/RW then its time to panic not yet. Yes we might not have them in place for Man City but the season has 38 games not 1, chill people, be happy that we are just about to embark on our premier league journey against the champions of England.

What concerns me is that our record against the top 10 last season wasnt great. We won most of our games when we were flat track bullies dominating teams with 65% possesion. We rarely won games where we didn't dominate games or when we had to withstand a bit of pressure. We often defended sloppily and gave away silly goals. We won't dominate play as much this season and if 4 of the current back five were often found wanting at championship level then it worries me what a better attack will do o them.

The lack of experienced signings at the back give serious cause for concern, we will get ripped a new alpine by any decent side.

That said, I'm happy with the midfield & attack but something seems amiss. Feels similar to before Pardew was sacked.

I'll avoid expanding on the unecessary abuse and just add that I know what you mean about this.

What concerns me is that our record against the top 10 last season wasnt great. We won most of our games when we were flat track bullies dominating teams with 65% possesion. We rarely won games where we didn't dominate games or when we had to withstand a bit of pressure. We often defended sloppily and gave away silly goals. We won't dominate play as much this season and if 4 of the current back five were often found wanting at championship level then it worries me what a better attack will do o them.

Yes, you are right of course. Title was on the line at SMS against Reading, and we f*cked up big-time.

God I am getting depressed about the season start.

Yes, you are right of course. Title was on the line at SMS against Reading, and we f*cked up big-time.

That game was a frustrating preview of what we can expect to see this season without squad improvements

-Decent possession that goes nowhere

-Conceding possession cheaply in bad areas

-Fonte getting outmuscled

-Poor closing down on the edge of the area

Alpine, getting depressed about saints. NEVER!!!!

Let's face it and be honest, no matter what you would be getting depressed about now. And no matter what, you will be doing your nut when we are bottom After first 5 games with our start

I predict many many forum breakdowns from you this season. It happened every single season

*awaits abuse and being called a troll*

I am disappointed we haven't strengthened at CB yet. Our transfer activity and squad is relative to our peer group in the lower half. I don't think we have done any worse than Reading, Wham, Swansea, Norwich et al - just not very inspiring if we are serious about being long term players in this league.

Alpine, getting depressed about saints. NEVER!!!!Let's face it and be honest, no matter what you would be getting depressed about now. And no matter what, you will be doing your nut when we are bottom After first 5 games with our startI predict many many forum breakdowns from you this season. It happened every single season*awaits abuse and being called a troll*
Whilst I do agree with you, I am confused by your stance on this. You said yourself that you are surprised by our lack of transfer dealings recently and that this window has been a wake up call. Do you not feel slightly negative feelings yourself? Not that I'm defending Alpine or anything.

Chill out? Everyone else in this thread seems fairly calm and rational. 2 years ago has nothing to do with it, Nigel Adkins has stated he wants to bring in a number of players before the season kicked off and it hasn't happened.

When is this "look where we were 2 years ago" nonsense going to stop? Its completely irrelevant now.

Yes, chill out. Two years ago has every thing to do with it. We could quite easily be in a much, much worse position than we are today.

Nigel Adkins has stated he would like to bring in some players but it is important he brings in the right ones. I get the feeling most of you would be happy for him to just sign someone, anyone in order to appease you without any regard for asking if they are actually better than what we already have.

We've made 4 signings. 3 of which have been bought to go straight in to the first team. I have every faith we are working to address the acquisition of a defender and a winger but am happy to wait until the end of the transfer window if I have to for the players Nigel and Nicola feel are the right ones. I just don't think it is right to write the season off before a ball is being kicked because we haven't completed all our business yet.

I am disappointed we haven't strengthened at CB yet. Our transfer activity and squad is relative to our peer group in the lower half. I don't think we have done any worse than Reading, Wham, Swansea, Norwich et al - just not very inspiring if we are serious about being long term players in this league.

Don't agree with that in the slightest, I think we're well behind our peers in terms of business done so far.