"Our biggest Villain"

Bananaman

Bought 'Football 2014 - Ultimate guide to the new season' which allegedly offers "The expert view from inside your club"..

Having read through Arsenal to Norwich, I arrive at Southampton where I find the following..

"Our biggest Villain:

Daniel Fox (below) has to be our worst player of last season. This will not come as a shock to those who regularly watched our team. With a number of own goals and some calamitous defending so often undermined the superb work which we saw, at times, in attack"

Seriously?, Danny Fox, Southampton FC's biggest villain? who the hell wrote this.. we are the only club to have one of our own players in this category.. not really sure where I'm going with this... just kinda bothered me.

Don't think he scored 1 own goal. And it's not his fault he's not good enough is it? Bought in the championship and had a great season racking up assists. Not sure why that makes him a villain. Same reason as Sharp, Hammond, Harding, Guly, Richardson, Davis are all villains....odd!

Fox can still contribute, he has been a part of some good team performances in the league. Even if he has struggled at times, it isn't through a lack of effort. As a supporter I find it hard to criticise any player if they are putting in the effort - at the end of the day they are only as good as they can be. There may be times when I moan during the game as I get caught up in the moment but ultimately I think it is unfair to tag him as a villain. He has hardly been purposefully detrimental to the team. Plus I remember him battling a groin problem for the last third of the Championship promotion season and soldiering on when it may have been easier to rest.

As I grow older I've found a shift in my tolerance and view on players. Just because someone may struggle does not mean they need grief - it is hardly their fault they are put in the position they are. Though it is probably natural for supporters to single out people no matter what the level I suppose.

I can understand if they were brought in to play in the prem, but they were very good signings at the time we bought them.

Agree totally, there is no shame in being a good player in L1..or even Championship.

We happen to be lucky enough to have a few players in the squad, who made the transition to the Prem. and kept a good standard.

Lambert, Lallana, Schneiderlin and Puncheon are good examples, though perhaps Kelvin Davis and Jose Fonte have been a bit less consistent.

The likes of Hammond, Harding, Richardson, Chaplow - yes and even Fox...all made valuable contributions to our rise back upto the Prem, and it's unkind to criticise those who fell by the wayside and (sadly) didn't make the grade at the highest level. It's no fault of theirs - if their best - wasn't good enough.

When we were in lower divisions and they were signed on 3 and 4 year contracts, I think there were VERY few people who thought we'd make the way back quite so quickly.

Edited by david in sweden