England v Aussies 5th Test

bungle

As I type, Johnson's over is taking on Harmison-type levels of no-balls. Poor dismissals by Colly (who I just don't think is England calibre Test top 6 player, in spite of a wonderful attitude, yes he has saved us at times but one good innings a series shouldn't keep you in automatically), Prior and Freddie. Pitch is two-paced but need 350-400 even so. Cook got a good one from Siddle and Bell slightly unfortunate with an inside edge. Trott looks composed under pressure and with an adjustment to play slightly straighter should do well at this level. Welcome to England Test side Jonathon, where the so-called senior players (bar Strauss) leave you to do all the work....

We're still in with a shout, 330-350 might just be 'par' on this pitch - and the surface is deteriorating. Swann's performance with the ball could be pivotal.

Hopefully Broad can come in tomorrow and smack it around a bit, then we can have a right go at the Aussies straight after.

Think there is definitely going to be twists and turns quite literally in this deciding test...

It's fine criticising the England team but when you look for alternatives especially in the batting who really would have been a better option than those selected ? No coincidence that the names being bandied around included Ramprakash and Trescothick. If Trescothick had the right mind set he would still be a regular in the team, sadly he hasn't though being a top sportsman does not preclude you from suffering from stress/mental problems.

Of course Thedelldays is right about KP and whatever you think of his attititude/arrogance only Strauss comes close to being in the same league as a batsman.

It's been a problem for years and again no coincidence that we often pick wicket keepers as much for their batting as their wicket keeping ability. I agree with Hatch that 2 spinners might have been a good option ( Rashid took 5 for Yorks again today and is certainly one for the future) but I'm hoping that Harmison might just repay the faith of the selectors.

I forget how long ago it was, but I remember a Test at the Oval when the pitch after being two paced and offering turn early actually deteriorated quite quickly into one of uneven bounce. Was it Devon Malcolm's finest hour or something? Can't remember.

I just get the sneaky feeling that Freddie & Harmy banging the ball in could cause it to break through a lot more.

Problem is that they need to bowl a fuller length than in the middle, and also I think that the length of time England can actually bat will help as the pitch dries out even more (if possible)

Funniest comment for me was Cricinfo suggesting that Broad, Harmy & Anderson should be looking to add 100 runs today, c'mon guys we know the tail has a bit of backbone in it when batting!

Otherwise, central contracts are all well and good, but when players are obviously out of form as Cook & Colly are, they need to be playing themselves back into the runs. Fair shout to Ian Bell who had a torrid first few overs, he at least looked like he had been away working on his technique.

Really think this is up to the bowlers now, really need another 50 runs if we can, but then if they bowl like pie chuckers the Aussies will race to 450+ easily

Take a leaf out of THEIR book and give nothing away and I should think chasing anything over 180/200 in the last innings could be a big ask for them, over 230 we'll be in with a shout.

But FFS the crowd has to chill out and drink more, you could cut the tension even over here, doesn't help us.

England need a lead to stand any chance of winning imo hence why we need to get them out cheaply & quickly.

Don't necessarily need a lead, just need to keep them within touching distance. So maybe 50 or so runs behind. Won't be easy batting last on this wicket.

England need a lead to stand any chance of winning imo hence why we need to get them out cheaply & quickly.

Why do they need to do it in the way you have suggested? We could also bowl them out for 350 in the morning session tomorrow, then get 350 ourselves by Sunday lunch, and then have 5 sessions to bowl them out for 330 which will be a big target on this pitch?

Why do you believe there is just one way to win?

When I stated earlier that the Aussies would struggle to chase down 180, I did rather expect it to be in the 4th Innings...

What a great afternoon. Amazing how the Ashes now & in 05 have swung during a single session of play.

Keep grinding boys, get them out for under 250 and then grind out a good 190+

But would worry if we make them follow on, the pitch will only get more difficult