League 1 Minus 10 - blog

L1Minus10

I am lucky enough to be able to see the games live on cable where I am (as long as I don't mind staying up ridiculously late). I find I look forward to your take on the match almost as much as the match itself! Essential reading for the expat without access to his mates down the pub, post match.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers mate. nice to hear.

Where are you.... says Barnsley on here... which as far as I know, doesn't have it's own time zone :lol:

Barnsley, Ky... I am actually from that part of western Kentucky, where, yes, some of the most benighted souls in America live in towns with fancy foreign names, all mispronounced. I was raised in Cadiz (pr: KAY-dees), then there's a Versailles (VERR-sails) and a Moscow etc etc. I wear my Cadiz FC shirt whenever i go home to see relatives, but they are so intellectually uncurious, nobody asks about it. Sigh.

Another brilliant edition of football's #1 blog!

You've got a cult following Down Under

Debbie Davison

What a brilliant review and spot on!!

Bill Irving:

My favourite saints blog

Adrian Shepherd:

"So in summary, Saints win at Chelsea, Terry f***s up, Mourinho has a meltdown, & Rodgers gets sacked. Not many weekends will be as good as this one. Enjoy!"

Brilliant

Peter Watkins:

Most accurate commentary of all, full of facts and clever opinion!

"John Terry has dived in like he did when Wayne Bridge went out for a pint of milk" - priceless!

John Harris:

Best saints blog

You've done it again Glen.Outstanding.Like you,when Davis scored I just knew we'd get more.What a result!!

Great stuff as always. My favourite bit this week is 'ivanovic is also a w4nker. No wonder Suarez bit him. Funny and accurate.

Love the bit about John Terry and Wayne Bridge :lol:

I was looking forward to your report on this one and you haven't disappointed :lol:

Brilliant read. Thanks.

Thanks very much all. As I said - was quite easy to write this week and with Chelsea there's so much to rip the **** out of. Mourinho's comments were annoying but gold if you want to write about them.

Another brilliant edition of football's #1 blog!

You've got a cult following Down Under

Debbie Davison

What a brilliant review and spot on!!

Bill Irving:

My favourite saints blog

Adrian Shepherd:

"So in summary, Saints win at Chelsea, Terry f***s up, Mourinho has a meltdown, & Rodgers gets sacked. Not many weekends will be as good as this one. Enjoy!"

Brilliant

Peter Watkins:

Most accurate commentary of all, full of facts and clever opinion!

"John Terry has dived in like he did when Wayne Bridge went out for a pint of milk" - priceless!

John Harris:

Best saints blog

Love this. I've followed/liked the Aussie Saints page - thanks for making me aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good read.

I think Bournemouth's lack of goal threat is accentuated by the fact that they are a team set up to score goals. If you set up to be hard to beat, then maybe a few draws and 1-0s can be enough to see you through, and 'not having enough firepower' is not necessarily a big issue. Bournemouth have reached the Premier League by playing attacking, open football, you really have to score for that system to work!

Good read.

I think Bournemouth's lack of goal threat is accentuated by the fact that they are a team set up to score goals. If you set up to be hard to beat, then maybe a few draws and 1-0s can be enough to see you through, and 'not having enough firepower' is not necessarily a big issue. Bournemouth have reached the Premier League by playing attacking, open football, you really have to score for that system to work!

See: Liverpool before Suarez left

Edited by Mr Biscuits

Spot on

Says a lot when a piece written, where the tongue and cheek are often in close proximity to each other, is truer than anything the media will broadcast or print , yet is pretty much how most of the nations football fans feel about their national squad selection.

I know I have said this before on here:

I always found it amazing given the huge amount of time Woy and his entourage spent at St Mary's before the World Cup watching flowing passing pressing effective football, played by what could be considered in some quarters (and deffo between his ears) as lesser players than those of the top 4 clubs. Then first half against little Uruguay England played like he had spent most of the season watching at Upton Park and the glittering enthralling style of Hoof and run just like in a school playground. Expectations for next summer are pretty low.

The persistence with Phil Jones is the biggest thing that stands out as strange to me. Last week Louis Van Gaal, a man who values keeping clean sheets above all else it seems, preferred to play Ashley Young, an inconsistent Left Winger, at Right Back than to risk future England captain Phil Jones there.

Are you sure you wrote this before the Spain game Glen? Apart from the 'injured' you selected the squad. I did watch the match and as soon as Spudface came on he started ranting at the Ref.England were their usual load of s.h.i.t.e.

Thanks for yet another classic Glen.

You're welcome. Yes, written before but you wouldn't know it. That's the thing with England - so predictable.

Spot on

Says a lot when a piece written, where the tongue and cheek are often in close proximity to each other, is truer than anything the media will broadcast or print , yet is pretty much how most of the nations football fans feel about their national squad selection.

I know I have said this before on here:

I always found it amazing given the huge amount of time Woy and his entourage spent at St Mary's before the World Cup watching flowing passing pressing effective football, played by what could be considered in some quarters (and deffo between his ears) as lesser players than those of the top 4 clubs. Then first half against little Uruguay England played like he had spent most of the season watching at Upton Park and the glittering enthralling style of Hoof and run just like in a school playground. Expectations for next summer are pretty low.

Yes. As Redknapp (of all people) said - we have no style of play at all. That's down to the manager.

PS. I see from the Mirror assessment that our lad was the only English player to receive 8/10. Well done Saint Ryan.

From what I saw he did well... I still feel that it will do him no good though.

Can't believe you've left Milner out of your starting X1. Are you on drugs!;)

Milner will be a waste of a squad place but he'll be in there somewhere. He will make an appearance in every game though.

The persistence with Phil Jones is the biggest thing that stands out as strange to me. Last week Louis Van Gaal, a man who values keeping clean sheets above all else it seems, preferred to play Ashley Young, an inconsistent Left Winger, at Right Back than to risk future England captain Phil Jones there.

Phil Jones is a laughable selection. Honestly, he's no better than Caulker.

Tbh Glen, the fact that you were so close with your prediction just shows how terrible a manager Hodgson is. I've long argued that his brief is to deliver mediocrity without risk and every match we play just confirms it.

I'm also very amused how the media are slightly more muted about the unbeaten run the national side had qualifying for the Euro's once we played a friendly against a quality side and were shown up to be ****** poor on most areas of the pitch..

As for the Owl faced numpties decision to call up Lingard - never has the obvious policy of only selecting from the top four clubs been more clearly demonstrated.