Le Tiss offers his services to England

Colinjb

Agreed but over and above both of those is the talents that make a brilliant coach, regardless of caps or talent and in this instance i would suggest it's more a job for a Sports Psychologist anyway than an ex player with a questionable attitude.

Its all about coping with extreme pressure and MLT never experienced that level of pressure or I assaume has the training and qualifications to help with mind games that must go on in a players head as they make that long walk.

Despite his record he is simply not qualified and IMO it was a PR stunt to help overcome the recent shadow on his media career with some positive news.

I agree that he probably has no formal qualifications and I also agree that he isn't the sort of person, or doesn't seem to be (I don't know him), who you would normally ear-mark as coaching material.

That said, if he can communicate his methods, and they work, then he could have a positive influence. I don't think you need to be one of the coaching ubermensch, up there with Wotte, Poortvliet and Sturrock, to teach people how to take penalties.

Agreed but over and above both of those is the talents that make a brilliant coach, regardless of caps or talent and in this instance i would suggest it's more a job for a Sports Psychologist anyway than an ex player with a questionable attitude.

Its all about coping with extreme pressure and MLT never experienced that level of pressure or I assaume has the training and qualifications to help with mind games that must go on in a players head as they make that long walk.

Despite his record he is simply not qualified and IMO it was a PR stunt to help overcome the recent shadow on his media career with some positive news.

Are you a complete idiot? Le Tissier never experienced pressure??? He almost single handedly kept this club in the Premier league, does that not count as pressure????

Seriously admins, I'm all for free debate but this non stop LeTissier witchhunt is just so, so tiresome and annoying. At what point does freedom of speech impinge on common decency? Does anti LeTissier snipe number 152 add anything? Are we more likely to re-examine Matt's character after snipe 152 or snipe 74, 86 or 102?

We get your point, we got it at snipe 32. Build a bridge and ferking well get over it...

And back to the original point, anyone who can help us with our appalling penalty success rate at international level should be looked at. 48 out of 49 tells us he knows his onions.

I can see us not taking Matt up on his offer and then going out on penalties again...

Are you a complete idiot? Le Tissier never experienced pressure??? He almost single handedly kept this club in the Premier league, does that not count as pressure????

Seriously admins, I'm all for free debate but this non stop LeTissier witchhunt is just so, so tiresome and annoying. At what point does freedom of speech impinge on common decency? Does anti LeTissier snipe number 152 add anything? Are we more likely to re-examine Matt's character after snipe 152 or snipe 74, 86 or 102?

We get your point, we got it at snipe 32. Build a bridge and ferking well get over it...

And back to the original point, anyone who can help us with our appalling penalty success rate at international level should be looked at. 48 out of 49 tells us he knows his onions.

I can see us not taking Matt up on his offer and then going out on penalties again...

If Matt Le Tissier ever experienced the pressure of playing for his national side in front of a massive crowd and huge global TV audience and take part in a penalty shoot out to get his side into the WORLD CUP FINAL then in my very humble opinion there is no greater stage for a top player and none so pressurised.

Keeping Saints up as oppose to scoring the goal that would secure a World Cup Final appearance is not really comparable. Lets face it when the pressure was on he failed to kick a ball out of play and he needed to run his hardest to recover from his mistake. Can't cover up for your mistakes in a World Cup penalty shoot out.

Am I a complete idiot? Probably because I've opened the door for a bit of abuse from TameSaint and this time it's probably justified as I did say I would keep quiet but clearly Daren with such a dumb response I had no choice and maybe even Tame can see that and from one of my biggest detractors.

I think its painfully obvious IMO why MLT would not be England's penalty coach, you just have to read his book.

Am I a complete idiot? Probably because I've opened the door for a bit of abuse from TameSaint and this time it's probably justified as I did say I would keep quiet but clearly Daren with such a dumb response I had no choice and maybe even Tame can see that and from one of my biggest detractors.

QUOTE]

Sorry mate. Its load of abuse time !!!!! :-) :-)

No, seriously. I think that you should just take a chill pill and get over MLT. You seem to be attracted to MLT like a moth to a flame. Its not good for you.

Give it a rest. Stop laying into MLT at the slightest opportunity. Its nearly Christmas. Fancy a pint???

If Matt Le Tissier ever experienced the pressure of playing for his national side in front of a massive crowd and huge global TV audience and take part in a penalty shoot out to get his side into the WORLD CUP FINAL then in my very humble opinion there is no greater stage for a top player and none so pressurised.

Keeping Saints up as oppose to scoring the goal that would secure a World Cup Final appearance is not really comparable. Lets face it when the pressure was on he failed to kick a ball out of play and he needed to run his hardest to recover from his mistake. Can't cover up for your mistakes in a World Cup penalty shoot out.

I think its painfully obvious IMO why MLT would not be England's penalty coach, you just have to read his book.

I dont really see what MLT can help with really

It is the pressure and tiredness of the players which causes the most problems probably

I just can't see that England would employ a man with no coaching qualifications and just a handful of England games to his name to coach players who are by far his superiors .Do you think Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard are going to take any notice of an international non-entity like MLT? Those guys have actually scored penalties for England, they don't want some also ran telling them how to suck eggs.The 22 for the WC will be composed of seasoned internationals, some of them with nigh on 100 caps to their name, MLT is just an also ran in that company.

Sorry, I think you have the the wrong end of the stick, when i comes to coaching.

After all look at that great rugby star Dave Alred, who won so many tournaments and Internationals and........wait a minute, who? Not a name that jumps out at you, but he didn't have a great rugby career, either international or at home and isn't a household name, but his claim to fame is that he is Johnny Wilkinsons and Olly Barclays Kicking coach.

How many great successes in sporting have gone on to be great sports coaches and coached great sportsmen? Coaching isn't about how good YOU are at doing something, such as penalties, it is about getting someone else to be good at it.

And YES I beleive that Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard are professional enough that they would take notice of an MLT, as he is able to assist them in perfecting penalties.

But, just to add. I have a thought. **** it, employ Dave as well.

Edited by Secret Site Agent
A moments reflection.

In Spring 2002 Sven would have been England manager for what, a year and a bit, fifteen months. So why would he be "shocked" say "is that really so" to some bloke telling him England aren't very good at penalty shootouts? He'd know.

Every single interviewer and press conference from the minute he was appointed would have mentioned penalties, especially as "spring 2002" would have been the lead in to his first major tournament.

You were hardly offering sparkling insight.

Christ.

Personally I think he was being magnanimous, which means he was not going to be petty and make someone feel small, but do the PR thing and make them feel valued.

Now Christ, he is a different matter. Not a great penalty taker, I belive, but great in goal. As it says everywhere, 'Jesus Saves'.

Now play nice, and say your sorry.

Lol Don't try and cover up yet another snipe at LeTissier by droning on the betting scandal yet again. Yes he panicked and ****ed up his huge betting scandal. He scored 48 out of 49 penalties. He single handedly kept a small club in the Premiership. That's pressure. Gareth Southgate and Stuart Pearce actually made a career out of missing penalties, anyone remember those Pizza Hut ads?

Now according to you the fact he panicked is sure fire sign he hasn't the temperament to to train people how to take penalties under pressure. Surely the most retarded argument I've heard on here. His business is football not gambling and the fact that he panicked hardly brings his footballing credentials into question does it?

You can't have it both ways, you can't slag him off for being a big bad gambler and then ignore the fact he panicked at his first attempt and never did it again. Either he's a bad gambling man or he's not. You can't slag him off for everything.

You may have fooled some people on here but you don't fool me. All of this "I'm just asking questions that Daren's afraid to ask" cr@p is just that... cr@p. It's just you unleashing whatever bile you can at whoever you can. Is your life that sad and pathetic that you feel the need to endlessly vent your spleen on here? I think it is...

Let's have a look at some of your targets recently, Matt LeTissier, Lawrie McMenemy and now Gordon Strachan. Three of the most important people at the Dell/St Marys over the last 20-30 years. Anyone else you fancy putting down? Do they have to have the playing qualities of Pele and the ethics of the pope to get your approval? They're human, they err, they make mistakes. It's their ability to step outside of their weaknesses and achieve greatness that makes them inspirational. The fact that they have foibles, they have weaknesses, just makes them more like us.

It's pathetic and I for one will always correct you when you insult/denigrate Saints legends for no other reason than you own life sucks and its easier to put down than praise. Matt Le Tissier made one mistake. He served this club with the utmost distinction and is one of the greatest players this club has/will ever have seen.

You carry on trying to portray me as mentally weak for standing up for my heroes. I would rather be mentally weak and feeble rather than snide, disloyal and treacherous any day of the weak..

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject. Your point is pretty weak. The argument is would England benefit from having the Premier League's most prolific penalty taker give them a few hints and tips. The answer is yes. It certainly wouldn't hurt and as we have no one in the England set up it can only be a good thing...

Lol Don't try and cover up yet another snipe at LeTissier by droning on the betting scandal yet again. Yes he panicked and ****ed up his huge betting scandal. He scored 48 out of 49 penalties. He single handedly kept a small club in the Premiership. That's pressure. Gareth Southgate and Stuart Pearce actually made a career out of missing penalties, anyone remember those Pizza Hut ads?

Now according to you the fact he panicked is sure fire sign he hasn't the temperament to to train people how to take penalties under pressure. Surely the most retarded argument I've heard on here. His business is football not gambling and the fact that he panicked hardly brings his footballing credentials into question does it?

You can't have it both ways, you can't slag him off for being a big bad gambler and then ignore the fact he panicked at his first attempt and never did it again. Either he's a bad gambling man or he's not. You can't slag him off for everything.

You may have fooled some people on here but you don't fool me. All of this "I'm just asking questions that Daren's afraid to ask" cr@p is just that... cr@p. It's just you unleashing whatever bile you can at whoever you can. Is your life that sad and pathetic that you feel the need to endlessly vent your spleen on here? I think it is...

Let's have a look at some of your targets recently, Matt LeTissier, Lawrie McMenemy and now Gordon Strachan. Three of the most important people at the Dell/St Marys over the last 20-30 years. Anyone else you fancy putting down? Do they have to have the playing qualities of Pele and the ethics of the pope to get your approval? They're human, they err, they make mistakes. It's their ability to step outside of their weaknesses and achieve greatness that makes them inspirational. The fact that they have foibles, they have weaknesses, just makes them more like us.

It's pathetic and I for one will always correct you when you insult/denigrate Saints legends for no other reason than you own life sucks and its easier to put down than praise. Matt Le Tissier made one mistake. He served this club with the utmost distinction and is one of the greatest players this club has/will ever have seen.

You carry on trying to portray me as mentally weak for standing up for my heroes. I would rather be mentally weak and feeble rather than snide, disloyal and treacherous any day of the weak..

Oh, and whilst we're on the subject. Your point is pretty weak. The argument is would England benefit from having the Premier League's most prolific penalty taker give them a few hints and tips. The answer is yes. It certainly wouldn't hurt and as we have no one in the England set up it can only be a good thing...

That's a long post to say in your opinion MLT would be a good coach when reading his book and his attitude to coaching and career advice would suggest IMO he is far from being dedicated enough. PR stunt to cover that one mistake and we'll ignore Pinnacle as an example of assessing the merits of each individual player by doing his homework.

Apart from the fact its an insult to Capello to suggest he hasn't got this covered anyway, MLT is no more a coach than you are a realist, all in my opinion as I haven't read your book.

Are you Ian Branfoot?

Ditto. I remember Hoddle, among other England managers, saying that England could really not practice penalties as it is not possible to recreate the pressure / atmosphere of a major tournament.

Utter cr*p. If you have some players who, in a training situation, are not able to belt it into the top or bottom corner time and time and time again, then they need to be taught how to do this (by MLT). If they still fail, then dont ever choose them.

Granted in tournaments, the pressure is much greater, but MLT can teach people to shut that out and just do what they have done hundreds of times in practice. Other nations do it!

It is the same with golf, well all major sports really. You can't practice in real life situations every day, but you can practice until it becomes 2nd nature to succeed more often than not. Hoddle's view was probably skewed by the fact that he had a huge amount of natural ability and confidence. Most players don't have that and have to work at it. Hence the old adage "Pratice makes perfect".

Personally I think he was being magnanimous, which means he was not going to be petty and make someone feel small, but do the PR thing and make them feel valued.

Now Christ, he is a different matter. Not a great penalty taker, I belive, but great in goal. As it says everywhere, 'Jesus Saves'.

And Keegan nets the rebound.

Apparently Jesus was pretty good on crosses too!

Okay, I'll get me coat.....

QUOTE]

Sorry mate. Its load of abuse time !!!!! :-) :-)

No, seriously. I think that you should just take a chill pill and get over MLT. You seem to be attracted to MLT like a moth to a flame. Its not good for you.

Give it a rest. Stop laying into MLT at the slightest opportunity. Its nearly Christmas. Fancy a pint???

I know you wouldn't let me down! :) You're right to a degree but I don't think on this occassion 'it's the slightest opportunity' and this time last year I was a bigger fan of MLT than Daren Wheeler is, who no doubt snuggles into his MLT pillow case of denial every night, whereas I prefer pins. :)

Mummy told me not to go into Pubs with strangers. I ignored that advice and now I never do as the last person who said do you fancy a drink I ended up marrying them and a lifetime of regret and purgatory, still she only has herself to blame.

He was also quite good at resurrection and with his dwindled support I suppose this Easter he may come again via the medium of TalkSport and tell us all that he is available to offer coaching on penalties to the England team. Afterall a bit of gratutious PR never hurt anybody.

That's a long post to say in your opinion MLT would be a good coach when reading his book and his attitude to coaching and career advice would suggest IMO he is far from being dedicated enough. PR stunt to cover that one mistake and we'll ignore Pinnacle as an example of assessing the merits of each individual player by doing his homework.

Apart from the fact its an insult to Capello to suggest he hasn't got this covered anyway, MLT is no more a coach than you are a realist, all in my opinion as I haven't read your book.

Book, book, book, gamble, gamble, gamble... (sigh) yet again...

Interesting to note how you've completely sidestepped all the main points and will only answer the point on LeTissier's qualifications as a coach. As I said, it wouldn't hurt. Doesn't make him Cappellosque, but it does make him worth a look..

But at the end of the day, and you ignored this completely, you're a sad case who will jump on any LeTissier themed thread to have a pop. That in my book, makes you snide, cowardly and above all, unbelievably tedious...

And I'll come with you, SOG.

By the way:

He was also quite good at resurrection and with his dwindled support I suppose this Easter he may come again via the medium of TalkSport and tell us all that he is available to offer coaching on penalties to the England team. Afterall a bit of gratutious PR never hurt anybody.

Wow, what is that all about? Talk about the use of the creative sub-conscious to maintanin sanity.

I reiterate, what would count against him is his complete lack of major international tournament experience.I'm sure you could find some Jimmy from the Commercial House League who's never missed a penalty either, but to pass on his "talents" to an experienced pro who's been there and done that and who's trying to score from 12 yards to put his country in the WC final in front of 100K is something completely different.

Zidane only missed 1 penalty in his career, because he slipped in a friendly against China in 2006, but I don't think there's any question about him being given an offical role to tell Thierry Henry how to score from 12 yrds.

The whole thrust of this argument is a load of codswallop and can easily be dismissed as such by a clear example.

There is such a thing as a Sports Psychiatrist. This is a person who specialises in motivating sportsmen to achieve ever greater success in their chosen discipline. I expect that most of these specialists have never found themselves in the position of taking penalties in front of 100,000 fans and with the outcome dependent on their team's advancement into the finals of the World Cup. Very few would have run marathons, played tennis, golf, cricket, rugby, etc at the very highest level either. What they do excel in, often to a World Class degree, is the ability to motivate those sportsmen. Those sportsmen in turn do not turn around and belittle that specialist with the put-down that they will refuse to listen to them because they do not possess the equal sporting prowess of their pupils.

Your argument would have been far more credible had you recognised that MLT would be perfectly capable of imparting his knowledge of technique, but perhaps would not have the ability to teach the same degree of mental strength that he possessed in such situations.

As for your assertion that Henry would have not have listened to Zidane telling him the reasons for his success at penalty taking, you have no evidence that Henry did not discuss it with him. As Henry's prowess at penalty taking was inferior to Zidane's he would be an idiot not to want to improve himself. It is quite a different skill finding the net from 12 yards out in open play to netting it from the spot under pressure.

Tell me this:

When did Tiger's golf coach win a major?

When did Federer's tennis coach win Wimbledon?

And so on...

You can teach/coach technical ability.

You can manage pressure.

Ultimately, winners are focused enough not to feck up on the big stage - but they need technique first and foremost.

There is no doubt that Le Tiss could offer advice on technique.

Anyone who does not respect the opinion of someone who has excelled in something, is a bit of a berk really.

You don't read Gerald Ratner's rules of business and Eddie the Eagle's advice on achieving sporting greatness do you...

I dont really see what MLT can help with really

It is the pressure and tiredness of the players which causes the most problems probably

It's amazing how those Germans don't feel the pressure or get tired. :rolleyes:

England have a pretty poor record in penalty shoot out in competitions so any help would be welcome. Ideally if it comes around again the following players should be good enough to step up and succeed.

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Rooney

Beckham

But what if not all 5 are on the pitch at the end of extra time? Or what if the score is tied after the first 10 penalties: who takes the 6th one, or 7th, ..? Venables, the only England manager to actually have one success with a penalty shootout, had his first 5 penalty takers do well, but forgot that it could go further (and that's how he lost the shootout against the Germans). If we have a penalty shootout it may take 8 or 9 before one of the other team misses (or in the case of the Germans, 10 or 11 :cool:).

Each and every member of the squad (including the goalies) should become as good at taking penalties as they can.

Tell me this:

And so on...

You can manage pressure.

Ultimately, winners are focused enough not to feck up on the big stage - but they need technique first and foremost.

Anyone who does not respect the opinion of someone who has excelled in something, is a bit of a berk really.

You don't read Gerald Ratner's rules of business and Eddie the Eagle's advice on achieving sporting greatness do you...

I dont think technical ability has much to do with the problem which is being addressed.

Pearce and Waddle certainly would have the technique to score penalties

I dont think technical ability has much to do with the problem which is being addressed.

Pearce and Waddle certainly would have the technique to score penalties

They clearly didn't. Waddle lent back and committed the cardinal sin of kicking the ball - lean back and the ball goes up...

And Pearce blasted the ball rather than placed it.

Missing penalties is a cardinal sin unless the goalkeeper pulls off a sensational stop, in which case fair play.

Too many English players think it's about emotional state.

It's not. It's about practicing, over and over and over again, so that in any given situation you know exactly what you are going to do to the extent that the situation is almost immaterial.

The failure to master pressure is normally the result of lack of confidence, and this can and is built by practice.

They clearly didn't. Waddle lent back and committed the cardinal sin of kicking the ball - lean back and the ball goes up...

And Pearce blasted the ball rather than placed it.

Missing penalties is a cardinal sin unless the goalkeeper pulls off a sensational stop, in which case fair play.

Too many English players think it's about emotional state.

It's not. It's about practicing, over and over and over again, so that in any given situation you know exactly what you are going to do to the extent that the situation is almost immaterial.

The failure to master pressure is normally the result of lack of confidence, and this can and is built by practice.

I dont disagree with what you are saying but when it comes to doing anything for real pressure of some sort takes over like with Monty in golf never winning a major

Point 1 - How many players to your knowledge have taken part in penalty shoot outs in a world cup final in the last 20 years? I make it what? 11 maximum

Point 2 - How many of them where English?

Point 3- How many Recent TOP level English professionals have a better penalty taking strike rate than Le Tissier?

We get it, You feel his so far as we can tell pretty much false confession of betting on a game ... was that match even actually on tv?!, makes him a bad bad man But as a saints fan you can only respect what the guy did for us and get off his back!

All my questions are asked in sincerly so if you'd like to get back to me that would be ace

cheers =]

I dont disagree with what you are saying but when it comes to doing anything for real pressure of some sort takes over like with Monty in golf never winning a major

Pressure only takes over if you aren't mentally strong though. Monty's nerve is suspect - you can tell that by the way he reacts to the crowd.

Federer must have been under more pressure than any tennis player/sportsman in history but he thrives on it.

I think I agree with you that you cannot train this mental strength - either you have it and you're a winner or you don't. However, one of the things that contributes greatly to confidence is the ability to do something and achieve the same result over and over and over again.

Point 1 - How many players to your knowledge have taken part in penalty shoot outs in a world cup final in the last 20 years? I make it what? 11 maximum

Point 2 - How many of them where English?

Point 3- How many Recent TOP level English professionals have a better penalty taking strike rate than Le Tissier?

We get it, You feel his so far as we can tell pretty much false confession of betting on a game ... was that match even actually on tv?!, makes him a bad bad man But as a saints fan you can only respect what the guy did for us and get off his back!

All my questions are asked in sincerly so if you'd like to get back to me that would be ace

cheers =]

Point 1 - I said GET into a World Cup Final - England v Germany 1990

Point 3 - None but how many penalties di le Tissier take at a major international competition where the presure was somewhat more intense and the commitment to compete with a tad more vigour would ensure some of those penalty takers after 120mins of football at the highest level may feel less fresh than when Le Tissier took most of his. Stats tell a story but not always the whole story.

Given the standards Capello demands if he reads the somewhat flippant nature of MLT's book I doubt he will fit the profile of the type of coach Capello would want around. Shall I fax him the picture of a yawning le Tiss trying to make it as an England international?

Tell me this:

And so on...

You can manage pressure.

I don't think Le Tissier could offer advice on penalty taking to any International because the reasons they miss are because of the tiredness factor of maybe having played 120 mins and the sheer pressure of the situation. I don't think the likes of messrs Rooney, Lampard and Gerrad need technical advice from Le Tissier but maybe he should go to Forest and give McGoldrick some advice as at club level he may have something to offer.

I don't think Le Tissier could offer advice on penalty taking to any International because the reasons they miss are because of the tiredness factor of maybe having played 120 mins and the sheer pressure of the situation.

No, the reasons they miss are because they don't practise enough to make it second nature. (Do that and the pressure factor isn't relevant.) Or, in Defoe's case, because he hit it straight down the middle.

I don't think Le Tissier could offer advice on penalty taking to any International because the reasons they miss are because of the tiredness factor of maybe having played 120 mins and the sheer pressure of the situation. I don't think the likes of messrs Rooney, Lampard and Gerrad need technical advice from Le Tissier but maybe he should go to Forest and give McGoldrick some advice as at club level he may have something to offer.

Please kindly enlighten us about your vast playing experience which enables you to expound your opinions about whether Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard need technical advice from Matt Le Tissier. I have an inkling that I have seen all three of them miss penalties and I'm quite certain that it has been on more than one occasion. On that basis, if they had any humility, they would accept that MLT was a far better exponent of the art than them and neither of them is the complete article, a player who has no need to stop learning because they are beyond improvement. Rooney especially is still a comparative youngster, with much to learn, especially about temperament.

The tiredness factor is obviously a complete red herring, inferring that an physically fit athlete such as a top footballer is incapable of dispatching a ball a mere 12 yards with power, accuracy, or both, even having played for 120 minutes. You might have more of a point regarding the mental strength that is required in a high pressure situation, but again, you have absolutely no reason at all to imply that MLT does not possess that mental strength. If you disagree, please do tell us the reasons behind your assertion.

Please kindly enlighten us about your vast playing experience which enables you to expound your opinions about whether Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard need technical advice from Matt Le Tissier. I have an inkling that I have seen all three of them miss penalties and I'm quite certain that it has been on more than one occasion. On that basis, if they had any humility, they would accept that MLT was a far better exponent of the art than them and neither of them is the complete article, a player who has no need to stop learning because they are beyond improvement. Rooney especially is still a comparative youngster, with much to learn, especially about temperament.

The tiredness factor is obviously a complete red herring, inferring that an physically fit athlete such as a top footballer is incapable of dispatching a ball a mere 12 yards with power, accuracy, or both, even having played for 120 minutes. You might have more of a point regarding the mental strength that is required in a high pressure situation, but again, you have absolutely no reason at all to imply that MLT does not possess that mental strength. If you disagree, please do tell us the reasons behind your assertion.

Bottom line is 19C has so far vanished up his own backside in his open hostility towards MLT that he will be unable to offer you a straight answer. All that you say is correct Wes but small things like facts are ignored by 19C when and if it suits him......yet if it doesn't he will cling to the smallest detail like his life depended on it.

Pressure only takes over if you aren't mentally strong though. Monty's nerve is suspect - you can tell that by the way he reacts to the crowd.

Federer must have been under more pressure than any tennis player/sportsman in history but he thrives on it.

I think I agree with you that you cannot train this mental strength - either you have it and you're a winner or you don't. However, one of the things that contributes greatly to confidence is the ability to do something and achieve the same result over and over and over again.

I have got to point out that nerve is worked upon and removed to a degree when employing many different coaching techniques. Basically the sub-concious sees the target as already ebing achieved, so that when you strike the ball as far as you are concerned it has already gone in. Weather it does or not is totally irrelevent, otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy, 'I'm not going to score' causes you not to score. Back to Johnny and Olly, once they have struck the ball it is pick up the kicking cone and back to the line, no need to watch it go over.

Wes give me an example when Le Tissier has scored a penalty in a penalty shoot out in major international championships after playing for 120mins to the point of exhaustion? By his own admission he ran his hardest in a game for 70 seconds whilst trying to pull off a betting scam.

Physical and mental exhaustion coupled with the pressures of taking a kick knowing that the weight of your nation is riding on you is I would suggest a little harder than the weight of a few friends trying a make a few quid. MLT failed to kick the ball out on that occassion, do you think he coudln't cope with the pressure as oppose to being an issue of skill that resulted him in being unable to kick the ball out?

The fact is that psychologically MLT's ability to score penalties was made easier because of playing for a smaller club and the god like status in which he was held. If he missed the fans were unlikely to chastise him for it and the stats a lot lower had he moved to major club at that time. He was a big fish in a small pond and that gave him that playing arrogance/confidence to do what he did. Do you think he recognised that and it was one of the factors why he decided to not raise his ambitions and test himself in a bigger pond and under greater pressure?

I don't doubt MLT could coach penalty takers in the lower reaches of the Premiership and below but above that I don't feel that players would benefit form his experience and would be better off with a sports psychologist.

Finally, respect is king and I doubt no matter now minor MLT's admission was that it would go down well with the likes of bulldog competitors like John Terry and so his presence I would doubt would be well received. IMO Wes it was nothing but a PR stunt and in your world I think you can recognise one when you see it.

Wes give me an example when Le Tissier has scored a penalty in a penalty shoot out in major international championships after playing for 120mins to the point of exhaustion? By his own admission he ran his hardest in a game for 70 seconds whilst trying to pull off a betting scam.

Physical and mental exhaustion coupled with the pressures of taking a kick knowing that the weight of your nation is riding on you is I would suggest a little harder than the weight of a few friends trying a make a few quid. MLT failed to kick the ball out on that occassion, do you think he coudln't cope with the pressure as oppose to being an issue of skill that resulted him in being unable to kick the ball out?

The fact is that psychologically MLT's ability to score penalties was made easier because of playing for a smaller club and the god like status in which he was held. If he missed the fans were unlikely to chastise him for it and the stats a lot lower had he moved to major club at that time. He was a big fish in a small pond and that gave him that playing arrogance/confidence to do what he did. Do you think he recognised that and it was one of the factors why he decided to not raise his ambitions and test himself in a bigger pond and under greater pressure?

I don't doubt MLT could coach penalty takers in the lower reaches of the Premiership and below but above that I don't feel that players would benefit form his experience and would be better off with a sports psychologist.

Finally, respect is king and I doubt no matter now minor MLT's admission was that it would go down well with the likes of bulldog competitors like John Terry and so his presence I would doubt would be well received. IMO Wes it was nothing but a PR stunt and in your world I think you can recognise one when you see it.

19C there are many occasions where you post intelligent and interesting comments, which are good to read and debate about. Everyone's entitled to an opinion of course, but why oh why oh why do you have to keep on bringing this up every single time Le Tiss is mentioned?

I have got to point out that nerve is worked upon and removed to a degree when employing many different coaching techniques. Basically the sub-concious sees the target as already ebing achieved, so that when you strike the ball as far as you are concerned it has already gone in. Weather it does or not is totally irrelevent, otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy, 'I'm not going to score' causes you not to score. Back to Johnny and Olly, once they have struck the ball it is pick up the kicking cone and back to the line, no need to watch it go over.

Coaching athletes especially or those who have to compete individually they are trained to focus on something positive when they hit the wall so they can go through it without dipping. Invariably, they are told to imagine crossing the line first arms aloft or collecting their medal or whatever positive mental picture works for them. They are told to avoid negative thoughts like 'this hurts' or 'I'm can't keep this going' etc as it will definitely become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Therefore, I don't think your point is irrelevant and there is a very strong argument for mind over matter.

19C there are many occasions where you post intelligent and interesting comments, which are good to read and debate about. Everyone's entitled to an opinion of course, but why oh why oh why do you have to keep on bringing this up every single time Le Tiss is mentioned?

Because it is a salient point in the argument and people seem to choose to forget it when it suits their argument, where others outside our club may not.

Because it is a salient point in the argument and people seem to choose to forget it when it suits their argument, where others outside our club may not.

I agreed with about half of your post, about how he could do a job coaching penalties for a club and that, and yeah, I'm also not sure how he'd go down in the England camp, it's just when you bring up the betting scam it seems you just can't let it go and for me it takes a bit of integrity out of the post.

That would be the same John Terry whose dad is a drug dealer, the same John Terry who has been was charged with assault and affray? Who was given a temporary ban from the England national side by the FA? Previously, along with Chelsea team-mates Frank Lampard, Jody Morris, Eiður Guðjohnsen and former team-mate Frank Sinclair, in September 2001, was fined two weeks wages by Chelsea after drunkenly harassing grieving American tourists in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks? The same John John Terry currently prostituting the England armband? That one?

Or Wayne Rooney who paid old women for sex or Steven Gerrard who was involved in a bar brawl and went to court over it?

You don't half cherry pick your points don't you Numpteen? lol

Disdain or a lack of respect? What many can't appreciate is it's a simple case of integrity and for MLT to be blaming the Echo as reported above is avoiding the issue. If as a relatively well paid individual at the time he had the integrity not to get involved his reputation and hero status for me would have remained intact. We all have different moral codes by which we live our lives and I fail to see why people cannot understand that for me what MLT did was wrong. With honesty comes common sense and I would question if the latter was a quality lacking in MLT's involvement with Pinnacle?

Francis Bacon said that 'all moral philosophy is but a handmaid to religion'. This is very true as has been discussed elsewhere and if I can get disillusioned with my religion and become a confimed agnostic then I guess it's easier to remove myself from this particular altar even though other's choose to carry on their worship regardless of, for me, the loss of trust and negative questions that one action can raise.

I am obviously not alone in my feelings and it does not detract in anyway my status as a supporter of SFC. How can it? I have barely missed a home game since the move to SMS and supporting Saints is an important part of my life. Dubai Phil in his MLT in Dubai thread mentioned that MLT spoke about the loss of an important business contract of some description that had cost him financially. If a persons integrity throughout their life is not important why would MLT have lost that contract off the back of his revelation?

I can understand why people defend MLT but equally they need to acknowledge that people may have a different view of the situation and those people should be afforded some respect as they did not create the problem / issue in the first place.

Unless any new material comes to light this is the last time I am going to be dragged into this debate but its difficult not to get involved when people start throwing the insults and acting in a racist manner with regard to a persons health or general well being. It's important to address the cowardly comments in these instances.

Just because successive English team managers didn't have the sense to recognise his capabilities does not mean that he would have been incapable of the feat. Under those circumstances, you are performing your usual default position of making assumptions based on your opinion rather than concrete evidence. For instance, where you cite Rooney as one of your examples, surely in the interests of balance, one is entitled to consider what MLT might have achieved in the same position at the same age. Or don't you accept that Rooney will also be a lot less mobile when he is 30 or so? I stick by my assertion that it is complete twaddle that any player in the top division would be too exhausted to kick a ball 12 yards with accuracy after 120 minutes of an International.

Repeating this little diatribe on every occasion that MLT's name is mentioned will just reinforce the conclusion that you are trolling, as it has absolutely nothing at all to do with MLT's ability to coach penalty taking.

Again, complete claptrap. By your reasoning, Usain Bolt ought to be able to shave a second or two off his World sprint record if only he ran it at the Sports Centre at Bassett. :rolleyes: The reasons for MLT's lack of ambition to move to a bigger club here or abroad are well documented. He came from a small Island and had pressure from his then wife to stay within quick commuting distance of his family over there. It is also well known that two of his brothers arguably had even more skill and talent than him, but were not remotely interested in leaving Guernsey.

Says he taking the ground right from under his feet by contradicting his own argument that top players would not listen or respect anybody who they considered had less ability than them. Again, you also fail to realise that a sports psychiatrist only has the ability to improve mental attitude. Who do you suppose will teach them technique? You fail to counter my argument that MLT has a far better penalty record in the top flight of British football than any other footballer historically and you do not provide good reasons why he is not therefore qualified to impart that knowledge as a coach.:rolleyes:

Darren has already shot that last paragraph down in flames. And I disagree that it was offered as a PR stunt. I have no evidence either way, but then again, neither do you.

That would be the same John Terry whose dad is a drug dealer, the same John Terry who has been was charged with assault and affray? Who was given a temporary ban from the England national side by the FA? Previously, along with Chelsea team-mates Frank Lampard, Jody Morris, Eiður Guðjohnsen and former team-mate Frank Sinclair, in September 2001, was fined two weeks wages by Chelsea after drunkenly harassing grieving American tourists in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks? The same John John Terry currently prostituting the England armband? That one?

Or Wayne Rooney who paid old women for sex or Steven Gerrard who was involved in a bar brawl and went to court over it?

lol. Good old 19 C. Always good for a laugh!!

None of them Daren let down their team or their supporters on the pitch and I suspect would rather die for their cause than try to alter the course of a game for their own profit regardless how brief. I'm not defending their off field antics as I am not defending MLT's but there is a very big difference in on the field shenanigans than off IMO. John Terry's background and off the field behaviour does not affect his never say die attitude on the pitch and you get a sense if a fellow player in his team was caught in some silly betting scam his view would not be somewhat less than accommodating IMO.

I cherry pick my points Daren and you continue to miss them completely but hope you enjoyed your research it proves nothing about a one for all and all for one spirit in the team, MLT broke that code. Your Wayne Rooney example is very amusing its as though every well paid footballer is not followed around by a group of shallow wannabe's willing to prostitute themselvess for a taste of the high life so Rooney wasn't interested in any of that and just saved himself time and effort. I am not condoning it but nether is it called the world's oldest profession for nothing but how old was Rooney at the time 16 , 17? How curious were you at that age? Perhaps had he been a Saints player at the time you might have followed in his footsteps seeing as you defend everything red and white no matter how odious, when at times you are simply wrong.

Already been pointed out Hypo, but when the merits of an individual are being discussed for an international role and yet patently avoid a potential sticking point, I think those blindly supporting the suggestion need to be challenged.

I did not initiate this debate and perhaps that is what I should have said originally. I will not unsolicited bring up issues concerning MLT unless I feel it is warranted and in this instance it clearly is.

If people were more honest and balanced on their review of MLT as a candidate would I have intervened? No is the answer just in case you needed to know.

Having read his book and drawn my own conclusions about his attitude to life and at times the need to conform I would never employ him in a coaching role or any that required a degree of self-discipline to follow rules and policy. That is just my opinion but MLT does come across as wanting to do things his way, comes across as lazy, has questionable judgement and can be quite arrogant about it and I'm fairly sure Capello does not want a maverick operating to his own agenda behind his back.

Can you imagine MLT going through the infamous final interviews on 'The Apprentice'? No neither can I, they would tear him apart and so would Capello IMO.